General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 10:49 PM   #1  

Wink Anybody wanna try this with me?

Hey guys,

I just read the diet and it sounds interesting! I'm 18 and willing to try anything to lose weight quickly for prom, graduation, summer, and just life in general. I'm thinking that if we all start on say...next Monday, April 8, then we can all like share what's happening, what we're eating, any questions, advice, motivation, support, etc. Anyone interested? So the rest of this week can be devoted to getting the groceries, answering the rest of our questions bout the diet, and getting our morale boosted in preparation. So I have a couple questions...well the first one's already been asked but yah I wanna know how much exercise should be done as well. And how can it guarantee the same weight loss for EVERY person? Cos I'm not seriously overweight so I don't lose as much weight as other diets I've tried have guaranteed. So should I assume that I will only lose, say, half of whatever everyone else loses? What happens when you "reach your desired weight"? Do you go back to eating normally and, if you do, will you not gain back all the weight? Sorry for the overload of questions but I figure if I'm gonna devote at least 12 days to this I might as well know if it's worth it right? Thanks!!!!
Old 04-03-2002, 11:38 AM   #2  

Hello Neiko

I asked the question in the other thread about the exercise because I absolutely hate doing it, but I guess I have no choice. Anyway, I would love to start the diet with you on Monday. My mother and a friend from her job is doing it too. I thought it was a funny coincidence that I was thinking about doing it and then my mother called me and said that she got a copy of the same program so we could start together. Maybe it's a sign that this one will actually work
Well, my mother also wanted to start on Monday so that we could have every other weekend off. She "plans" to go walking occasionally with her friend from work, and I will try to do my Tae-BO tapes as often as possible.
I figure that we might as well try the diet until the fifth day to see if 5 pounds will really come off, then we will know if it will really work. I have no problem investing five days for a hopeful diet.
Oh yeah, I forgot to say, my mother's friend has a friend who lost 15 pounds with this diet in 2 weeks. So it has to be true. And I am like you, I'm 19 and have about 30-40 ponds to lose (I'm only 4'9" and weigh 140) so I 'm not looking for one of those 100 pound weight loss diets. How much do you have to lose?
Sorry for the long response, but I'm really excited and hopeful about this one.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Quteky
Old 04-03-2002, 12:08 PM   #3  

Hey guys...your post have interested me!...but what exactly is the diet called and how/where can you find out the details of it? Maybe I just missed something in your post, that is entirely possible, but please respond and let me know because I might be interested in joining you guys! Thanks!
Old 04-03-2002, 12:28 PM   #4  

Lynnbirds,
If you go to the thread in this forum titled "atkins diet, cabbage diet, and slim-fast" there is a member who describes the entire program. It's called the Mayo Clinic diet, but the Mayo Clinic doesn't really support or sponsor it, so I don't know how it got that name. Well, besides that point, it sounds really motivating!

Good luck and I hope you join us!

Quteky
Old 04-03-2002, 04:20 PM   #5  

Default Here's the diet!

Yah I really meant to post a reply last time and accidentally did a new thread so hehe it's all good cos now we have our own lil spot to start this diet together. So here's the info copied/pasted from the other thread - it was originally written by Kalypso:

New Mayo Clinic Diet (not really from Mayo Clinic)
In 2 1/2 Months you should lose 52 pounds

BREAKFAST:
1/2 Grapefruit or juice (unsweetened)
2 eggs, any style
2 slices of bacon

LUNCH:
salad with any dressing
meat, any style, any amount

DINNER:
meat, any style, any amount (fish may be substituted)
vegetable, any green or red (cooked in butter or any seasoning)

BEDTIME SNACK:
glass of tomato juice or skim milk

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. At any meal, you may eat until you are full.
2. Don't skip bacon at breakfast or omit salad; it is the combination of foods that burn fat.
3. The grapefruit is important because it acts as a catalyst that starts the burning process.
4. Cut down on coffee; it affects the insulin balance that hinders the burning process. Limit 3 cups per day.
5. Don't eat between meals. If you eat the combination of foods suggested, you will not get hungry.
6. Do not eat dessert, breads, white vegetables or sweet potatoes. You may double or triple helpings of meat, salad or vegetables. Eat as much as you want. The more you eat of the proper combination of foods, the more you will lose.

NOTES:
1. This diet completely eliminates sugar and starches which are lipids and form fat. Fat does not form fat. You can fry foods in butter and use butter generously on vegetables.
2. You can lose 10 pounds in 10 days. There will be no loss the first 4 days, but you will lose 5 pounds on the 5th day. There-after, you will lose 1 1/2 pounds every 2 days until you are at your desired weight.
3. All soft drinks need to be diet and caffeine free.
4. You may not have white onions, potatoes or celery.
5. You MAY have: red onions, broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, green onions, cabbage, radishes, spinach, and carrots.

IMPORTANT:
Stay on the diet for 12 days. The stop dieting for 2 days. This diet is given to heart patients who need to lose weight quickly for by-pass surgery.

Notes & tips from me & my bf from our experiences:
1. If you start on a Monday, you'll have every other weekend off!
2. My bf doesn't like eggs so he had 4 peices of bacon instead of eggs & bacon. That didn't stop or slow his weight loss.
3. Don't snack between meals! I know it says that above, but I just want to mention that even when I ate jerky & veggies between meals it slowed my weight loss.
4. This is a great diet if you like meat... if you can afford lots of meat... and if you're ready to be strick with yourself.
5. Eat whatever you like on the 2 days off! I never gained a pound on my every-other weekend that I had off & I stuffed my face with everything I was tempted by!
6. Good luck!
Old 04-03-2002, 04:54 PM   #6  
Gonna do it!

S/C/G: 186/166/140

Height: 5'8"

Well, I am game to try anything I guess. But I also have the same question about exercise -- how much? I guess I will just keep up my routine i have now (Walk one day, aerobics the next). When is everyone going to start? Monday the 8th?

Courtney
Old 04-03-2002, 05:25 PM   #7  

Hey, thanks for the replies! The only problem I have with doing that diet right now is that I'm a college kid living in a dorm, so I really don't prepare any of my meals like that. But it does sound interesting, and I would really like to see if it works, so I think I'll try it once summer hits! Thanks again!
Old 04-03-2002, 06:09 PM   #8  

Count me in!
Old 04-03-2002, 09:02 PM   #9  

Hey guys found this on ************.com, a site that has several several reviews of diets and the truth behind them. This is what I found for the "new mayo clinic diet"

Con: The following article was written by Dr. Dean Ornish. It appears at www.webmd.com. It is an excellent review.

Question: I have been on the New Mayo Clinic diet for three weeks and lost 10 pounds. Breakfast is two slices of bacon, two eggs any style and half a grapefruit or unsweetened grapefruit juice. Lunch and dinner are half a grapefruit or unsweetened grapefruit juice, any amount of meat and any amount of vegetables with any kind of salad dressing. You stay on this diet for 12 days and go off for two days and then start over again. I have 70 pounds to lose and my primary doctor has OK'd it, but I was wondering if this will raise my cholesterol levels, triglycerides, etc. I am supposed to have blood work done in about two weeks. Is this a real diet that I can stay on, or just a fad?

Answer: The New Mayo Clinic Diet is a myth. To quote from the Mayo Clinic, "For more than 30 years the so-called 'Mayo Clinic diet' has surfaced in many forms and many places. Various versions push grapefruit or eggs or meat and promise to peel off pounds magically. We can offer you clear and official advice: Don't believe any of these diets. They did not originate at Mayo Clinic and are not approved by Mayo Clinic. These diets may promote temporary quick weight loss, however, they are not nutritionally balanced or a safe method of weight loss for long-term success. Such diets can be dangerous for some individuals."

When you think about it, it doesn't sound like much of a diet at all. Any diet that says you can eat any amount of meat and any amount of vegetables with any kind of salad dressing would include just about any amount of any type of food. How would you expect to lose weight eating that way?

Grapefruit is a wonderful food, but it does not cause your body to lose calories. This diet is a measure of how desperate people are to lose weight, so desperate that others can prey on their ignorance. As I have often written, the most successful way to lose weight is to eat a whole foods vegetarian or near-vegetarian diet that is much lower in fat than what most Americans consume -- ideally, around 10-15% of calories if you're trying to lose weight. Fat has 9 calories per gram, whereas protein and carbohydrates have only four calories per gram. If you change the type of food -- reduce the fat significantly -- you don't have to be as concerned about the amount of food.

You can eat whenever you're hungry until you're satisfied and still lose weight. Avoid simple carbohydrates like sugar, white flour, and alcohol.

So what do you guys think? I'm thinking...no thanks, moving on to finding another diet....

Neiko
Old 04-04-2002, 02:04 PM   #10  

neiko,

I read the same article , but I won't let it hold me down since i know that peole have actually lost weight on it. It doesn't bother me that some doctors may not approve of it. THey usually don't approve of anything but salads and yogurt anyway.
Plus, even though the responder didn't aprove of the diet, the lady DID lose weight on it also, and that's what matters to me because I am tired of "counting calories and exercising" and getting no where. Well, I hope you stay with us since we have a lot of people together here, but I understand if you don't. SO good luck!

And hello to everyone else willing to try this together!
We only have a few more days to stuff our faces until Monday!
Later!
Quteky
Old 04-05-2002, 03:03 AM   #11  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default hi... i'm still in!

Quteky~ Hey! I'm glad your still in on this too! It's so great to have support! There's NO way I'd try this diet on my own! My backbone isn't strong enough... I'd give in if not for this thread. (i'm so excited!!!) I can't hardly wait for monday to arrive.

Neiko~ I just wanted to respond quickly to some of what you posted last...
I know many doctors don't approve of this... it's definately not a way to eat for life! That would be very unhealthy... but I'm at the point that I can't stand to keep this weight on for another week! Ya know? There are healthier ways to lose... but this is an efficeint way; that's for sure. I know it works.

And it doesn't allow you to eat any amount of ANY food. Meat & veggies diets make for a VERY limited variety of foods. This wipes out all sugar and all carbs! This is the simple way it was explained to me...
***Fatty foods can not stick to your body without the combination of sugar***
These are some good little facts to know & understand~
~ fat + sugar = weight gain.
~ sugar alone turns to fat, which leaves the combo of fat + sugar = weight gain.
~ fat alone cannot make you gain weight!
~ fat alone passes through your body... sugar is like the glue that keeps it around!

Doctors, like the ones working for the mayo clinic have to cover their butts legally by not supporting these types of diets. Because the truth is that these diets do not make for healthy lifestyles... If a patient of their's were to go on one of these diets, with the concent of the doctor... And if that patient were to suffer a heatattache, or stroke, the patient could sue the doctor!!! (that's just the way America works! ~ you've always got to cover your butt legally or someone can & will sue!)

Having said all that; I'm almost done...
I personally think that unless your already at risk of a heart attache this diet is not a health risk.
Also, I think it's healthier to lose quickly on an unhealthy diet & keep the weight off than it is to live a lifetime of eating unhealthy in a way that keeps you overweight for years. You know what I mean?

I don't mean to sound preachy or defensive... I just didn't like the idea that people who support these diets are "preying on ingnorance" What would the motivation be? Nothing is being sold here; it's not an expensive machine... or a costly eating plan that you pay for before seeing... and you don't even have to buy specialty foods from one source. So why would anyone lie about the effects & results that they've seen.

~kaly
Old 04-05-2002, 03:30 AM   #12  

Default Q & A's

hey... I just wanted to mention that there were a whole bunch of Q's about this diet on that other thread and I typed up a bunch of A's there before I realized that everyone is now on this thread!

So you may want to check that out... the main point was that exercise is NOT a part of this weight loss plan.

Of course, I should say 'exercise is ALWAYS good for your body.' It's just not always a must in a weight loss plan. The right combo of foods will do the trick!

~kaly
Old 04-05-2002, 02:33 PM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Okay...couldn't resist...

So...if 'fatty foods cannot stick to your body without sugar' then I can eat a cup of butter every day and those 1,627 extra calories will just go right through me, correct? Hm...I don't think so!

And actually it is NOT a good idea to go on these kind of 'quick weight loss diets'. Here's a proven fact.

That 10 pounds you lose in a week consists of water, LEAN BODY MASS, and a little bit of fat (maybe 1/2 - 2 pounds at the most). Lean body mass (i.e. muscle) is something you DON'T want to lose, because unlike fat, muscle BURNS fat 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Fat just sits there for the most part.

And by putting your body in 'starvation mode' you're turning the switch on in your body that says 'hey, I'm starving...in a famine situation...so I'd better hold onto the fat and burn muscle instead'. You see, in a famine state, your body will pick lean body mass as its first source of food, saving the fat for worse times.

Then, when you start to eat normally (or binge, which is usually the case after one of these 'quick weight loss diets' for many people) your body isn't going to use those extra calories to build new muscle - nope - it's going to save those extra calories as ugly FAT. What's worse, is that the fat is going to be even harder to get rid of next time you decide to try one of these diets because your body metabolism will be even more efficient in going into its 'famine mode'.

I've said it before...I'll say it again...the only way to lose weight PERMANENTLY (which is what I assume we all want rather than yo-yoing up and down) is to make permanent, lifelong, healthy lifestyle changes in both nutrition AND exercise...take it from me, I've learned through personal experience...
Old 04-05-2002, 03:35 PM   #14  
L&Ser

Default Sticky Fat? Wuzzat?

I'm very skeptical about the science involved. Personally, I'm following the Body Rx plan which has been very easy to stick to. The author is a doctor who did extensive studies on wasting syndrome in cancer patients. What he found was that there's more to it all than many of the simplified plans would suggest. I'd highly recommend it. I took pics at week 3 and week 10 of the plan and saw changes.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:06 AM   #15  

Default frustrated

This may be my last post. I'm getting very frustrated having to constantly defend this plan in a place that i come for support! I know that everyone has their own views on every weight loss plan, and that quick weight loss plans are not typically recommended... but the fact is that as unhealthy as some of them may be... many of them work!

As I have stated MANY times already... I KNOW this is not a HEALTHY way to eat for life! But I also KNOW that it works! From my own experience and that of my friends! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

In the past this forum has been so wonderful for me... but with everyone arguring about something I know is true I think I'd rather just try weight loss alone!

And I also want to repeat.... Yes, it's TRUE that if your body does not get sugar & carbs, then fatty foods do not stick!!! And to use an example already mentioned... you can pour loads of butter on every meal with this diet & YES you will still lose weight fast. Fat is not the enemy with this diet; sugar is. Many 'unhealthy' diets are based on that FACT! I know it SOUNDS ridiculous, but unless you've tried it, or you know of a case where this plan failed... then you can't really say, can you?

Sorry if I sound like a grouch... but it's very frustrating for me to have so many people stating that what I know to be true cannot actually be true.

I've notices that a lot of people who have lost weight or are losing weight by healthier methods often state that the quick weight loss plans simply do not work. I'm not sure why people state that as fact, when it's just not true. Please open your eyes... just because it's not the healthiest way... or your chosen method, doesn't mean it's terrible or it simply doesn't work.

I personaly think that if it didn't work then it wouldn't be as common as it is. This is basically the same as atkin's - they are based on the same theory = fatty foods need sugars to stick. (that's extremely simplified... but it's the jist)

I think I'm done. goodbye. ~kaly
Closed Thread