Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-16-2006, 07:12 AM   #1  

Default Power plate

My sparkly new gym has one of these contraptions

http://www.power-plateuk.com/

It's very weird, I had a go on it today. I wonder if anyone else has used one, and has it made an appreciable difference to your strength, flexibility and, as they claim, cellulite.

In my case the contraption is free with the membership, but other gyms in London are charging phenomenal amounts for what appears to be a giant vibrating gadget!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I read about them somewhere... Zest of Ultra Fit I'm gonna come and try yours!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #3  

Their website makes some pretty amazing claims, and I'm one of those sceptical boffins, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is!!! The sell for £6995 each!! (thats over $10 000 US dollars!!!!!)
Old 02-17-2006, 05:16 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'm not getting one for the front room then!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:37 AM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

The people who use them at my gymn appear, at first glance, to be cellulite-free and to be very flexible and fit. But that might be because you have to be a bit of a contortionist to 'do' various bits of yourself. One or two older people use them and I think this could be because there are claims they are good at preventing osteoporosis.

Um, is there any evidence for this? Apart from the manufacturers'?

And I wouldn't have one in my sitting room. No room for one thing. And they make a sound like a drill, for another. I suppose cost could be another reason ...

You go, Kylie! You could be our one-off scientific experiment! Please report back.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:19 AM   #6  

I couldn't find any independent evidence to back up the claims that the manufacturer make. My thighs are great to practice experiments on, if the power plate can do anything whatsoever to help, I'll preach their benefits from the roof tops!! Well, maybe not my gym roof, as it's domed, and I'll fall off
Old 08-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #7  

Hi Girls! I just wanted to comment about the Power Plate - actually most of all of the research is independent. I have been using the Hypergravity www.wholebodyvibes.com with great results. I do 20 minutes of Turbo Jam with weights then jump on the Hypergravity for about 10 minutes! Ok!! I am so happy!! I am finally losing weight really fast! I think I found some kind out power routine or something. My cellulite is really disappearing and I am toning up all over. I had a thick midsection and now I am beginning to see my waist again - Another cool thing I noticed is my balance has become incredible. Anyway- good luck
GirglieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:49 AM   #8  

Fantastic about the research, can we have some links please? All the research I have seen is paid for by the companies that produce these things.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #9  

Hi again! Hmmm... the research links are a little difficult since most of them are in medical journals and not really off the internet for free. Since whole body vibration exercise started with the Russian Olympic athletes in the 70's, the medical community has been very interested and conducting different studies, many internationally. My dad-in-law is a PhD and found some for me regarding it helping in Parkinsons, Multiple Sclerosis and how it affects hormones in men (for the better, like increasing HGH) but he printed them for me. Anyway- i found some more on www.powerplate.me (middel east) and www.TurboSonic.com which has some good ones as well and www.wholebodyvibes.com is good for info as well. If you read the research, most of them were independent and not paid for by power plate - they were actually performed on the Galileo machine (PP didn't exist at the time)and only a couple studies actually used the PP since this is tremendously expensive to do. I hope this helps
Good Luck!
GirglieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #10  

Default Power Plate

Power Plate Institute recently opened in Chicago and I must say it is addictive! My weight hasn't changed (nor have my eating habits) but I'm definitely stronger and firmer. Can't wait for my next bone density test to see if their claim is true.
GoodVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 298/288/135

Height: 5'3

ok I know this is an old thread but its something that is a bit of a fad here and yes, I am guilting of doing it.

whole body vibration is about the funniest thing i've ever done to tone my body, and while the weight hasn't changed i've lost about 16 inches in a couple of months. my legs feel stronger and my pants fit better

has anyone here tried it?
newfette is offline   Reply With Quote