Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-15-2006, 09:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Had to drop weight training class

I was so psyched about taking a weight training course at the local college, even thought I made two new friends. Turns out my teacher (nice guy, but) wasn't "teaching." He'd point us to machines and say, "do a little cardio, then just try some of these." I was starting with a mile and working up to 140 on the heart monitor. I asked him how I should gauge my cardio. He just responded something like, "wow, now you'll be burning fat" and he walked away.

I've watched other teachers at this school gym diagraming muscle groups, demonstrating what each machine/weight is used for, cautioning what not to do, etc. Meanwhile, my prof is slumped against a machine chatting about pizza with a student who was doing a half-hearted cycling. I looked for the classmates I had befriended two weeks before (I had to miss one week, due to work commitment). They were gone, as were most of the other women from the first class. Apparently, they weren't joking when they said they were going to drop out while they could still get a refund. I'm sorry I didn't realize what was (or wasn't) going on before the 3rd class. Nothing else available this semester (I work 9-5+, M-F).

Menopause, eye problems (minor surgery in 6 weeks) and crazy season at work all contributed to making this feel like a huge disappointment. I'm through sulking and ready to commit to an alternative. Back at the gym (near to where I work). One of my coworkers (male) also joined the same gym and, though we go at different times, he has been encouraging to keep going, particularly when I don't feel like it.

The personal trainers at our gym are pricey! I'm studying the stumptuous site, Dave Draper and (nods to WaterRat) getting myself a "dummies" book

Right now, the most important thing feels like I've got to keep moving. If only to resume routine exercise and keep the damn depression away.

If I don't stay down it's not a failure, right Mel?

Jean
Ready2BThinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Jean -- You have such a great attitude!! to you!!! Keep it up I know you can do it... and "Staying down is not failure" I doubt very much that you will stay down...

Could you not report this Bozo PT to a manager or something? If everyone else dropped out they may give you your refund... I'd push for it, but I'm stubborn
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #3  

Just keep at it either in that class or another. Do a lot of research on types of exercise- both cardio and lifting. Study the Rating of Perceived Exertion Scale, so you don't have to depend on heart rate. If you have any questions, just PM me.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #4  

Hi Jean,

What as pity about the bad instructor at your class! Like Ilene suggested, is there a way to complain about this guy ? meanwhile, I can tell you that i learned a lot about lifting from books; especially the BFL for woman. I have now enrolled in power class, and the instructor says I do the stuff OK !!!

It's not a failure, you're up & running again in the other gym. This is probabely just a hiccup in the menopause course of things ( I'm perimenop[ausal myself, and I guess this is where a lot of emotional instability is coming from)

Cheer up, and keep going,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Height: 5'4"

Default You Gals are the Best . . .

. . . particularly when one's feeling down. Thank you for the suggestion and encouragement.

Speaking of being down, on a brighter note:
I've FINALLY broke the 180's!!! Lost two pounds and styling at 179!

Sounds goofy, but getting the "8" out of that second digit helps me stay focused, especially for the weekend.

Hugs,
Jean
Ready2BThinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #6  

I had a somewhat similar experience with a class at my Y. It was a circuit class where you run around the room doing a bunch of different things. Except that you forget what to do at some of the stations. Well, she didn't want to help. She just wanted to do the exercises herself! After I had asked her two different times to help me, I just walked out of the class. I emailed the person who is in charge of the classes and she sent me a nice apology.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote