Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-06-2006, 07:44 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL # 241 Feb 6 - Feb 12

Morning LWL
Brrrrr.....winter finally hit here. My 2 inch high daffodils are mightily surprised.

Reading back over last week's posts, I realized I haven't updated my February challenge at all. Bad Mel. I've done pretty well. One ugly eating day, and one slug day when I was so tired after work that I just crawled between the couch and the kitchen and bathroom for a few hours, but otherwise good. The scale, however, it NOT reflecting this over goodness My weight is slowly going UP! Along with some other symptoms, I think my previously high thyroid is now crashing and burning. My appointment with the snippy endocrinologist is in another two weeks, so we'll see.

My big excitement for the weekend end is...tada...I bought a treadmill Since moving gyms, I've hated doing cardio more than usual. The cardio room is dark and noisy, so I've been doing more running outside which makes my hips and knees ache, and recumbent bike at home. Now I have another option. I found a guy who buys used gym equipment, reconditions it, then usually wholesales it. He was willing to sell me ONE. It's a club-grade treadmill with a nice BIG cushioned deck, just like the ones at the gym. Now I just have to figure out where to put this behemoth.

Rabbit- Great news on the job front. That must make you feel better. Sorry about the horrendous weekend with XH.

Pat-Glad DH made it home between volcano puffs!

Ellen- Thinking of you today with your MS doc appt.

Tru- That's quite a lift! Hope you had a spotter

OK, I'm outta here. Full day at the gym. Chest and cardio (at the gym) for me.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:07 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hello ladies!

WOW a new treadmill! I wanna play!

Just did crazy 5k run in 34.something minutes! and to think I couldn't run for toffee about 6 weeks ago! I rock!

Changing up the weights today, haven't even looked at the program yet so I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing! Although it will be upper body work, so that's ok!

Had a great weekend food wise, apart from a carb frenzy since there was 70% off the bakery items at the supermarket on Friday night and I was hungry! It doesn't seem to have done me any harm since the scales are actually inching downwards.

Good news all round is motivating me even more! I've had nothing processed today and I've probably eaten my 5 portions of fruit and veg already!

Hope everyone's on plan for a good week...
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Brrrrr.....winter finally hit here. My 2 inch high daffodils are mightily surprised.
Mel! We've got your weather now - rain, wind and 36 degrees! All of snow is on the way out... Anchorage, which is on the water, is just enough colder that they cancelled school, mostly because the side roads are so icy the buses can't get through (very few kids in Alaska walk to school because of the long hours of darkness, and moose).

Rabbit, Let's just plan on you having a better week this week, okay? GOod to see you have some good job options, people that really seem to want you!

Frus, great job on the running! I'm back at the gym tonight, though I think I'm going to do the body pump class instead of running. (I originally typed boy pump - now there's a visual for you! )

I loved my racquetball clinic on Sat, and now I'm ready to show DH what I learned and we can stumble through together. Sat after the clinic he had us playing short games. I played with a 20 something, and she beat me mainly because she could move faster!

Sat was a lost cause eating-wise, but yesterday was pefecto! So far today is too. Had some cottage cheese with applesauce, added in some ground flax and a few walnuts. Yummmy.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

So I had a Starbucks today for like the first time in 2 months. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I liked getting hot chocolate there. I usually will get a FF hot chocolate, no whip. But it's not part of the new no-caffeine eating plan.

DD is sick today, so while we're filling our Rx at Target, I have about 20 mins to kill and her throat hurts, so I get her a kiddie hc and I get a venti, fat free, etc.

I'm about 1/2 way done and I'm literally feeling sick to my stomach, like I need to go lie down. I can't believe I used to love these things AND their full-fat counterparts. I actually had to throw mine away, it was just too sweet. What a testament how we can "heal" our unhealthy bodies with behavior modifications. And how scary at how much we are accustomed to poisoning our bodies with junk most days, without thinking about it!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:24 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

Pat - are moose really that dangerous? Do they stampede little school children? I never would have thought about that! Hope you enjoyed your boy pump!

I changed my weights routine last night, it includes stability ball push ups! Staying on the ball was the hardest part!

hrbabe, yes isn't it strange the things we "used to eat" that we can't stomach any more! Processed and breaded/battered things usually make me want to hurl now, but I grew up eating fish fingers and oven chips and potato waffles and chicken nuggets and whatever other junk there was around!

Easy day today, just kickboxing

:
Old 02-07-2006, 07:42 AM   #6  

Default So now I know ...

Yesterday with the MS Doc was pretty amazing. I found out that I do have MS and am actually relieved to have a positive diagnosis. I now know this is not in my head and I am not lazy. He is starting me on a drug therapy primarily to lengthen the time between attacks, but as a secondary action expects it to relieve most of the viral symtoms (i.e., recurrent shingles and fatigue). YAY! He also sees no reason why I can't get back to where I was physically and be able to run a marathon. He stressed that it probably won't be a Spring 06 marathon, but one will be in my future, if I chose. He saw no problem with me do a walking half marathon this fall. What he did tell me was to lay off trying to get back to "working out" while he is starting the medication (it will take about 6 weeks to get me to full dose) and concentrate instead on moving every day. Take a walk without a heart rate monitor and enjoy the time. This is a radical change - ENJOY a simple walk? He also said to stick with the yoga and Pilates and I ca nstart lifting again when I have more stamina. He told me to listen and trust my body and I will know when. Wow. So, that is what I know and I feel pretty good about it. Thanks for holding my hand.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:53 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

Glad it all seems to have sorted itself out for you. I'm glad you can do your marathon too! Hooray!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #8  

Hi LWL,

Ellenuw - I'm so glad for you! Finally this sounds like a Dr that works with you and not against you!!

Hi to all the other lifters. I went to power class yesterday, which was OK. Another cloud has appeared on my horizon, I must attrackt these things like a magnet. My DS school phoned yesterday that his grades have dropped and he is in the danger zone. I was perplexed and asked if theyt had taken the circumstances into account. Apparently they has the impression the divorce was rolling smoothly. I said not at all, & I have made an appointment for tomorrow with the 2nd grade coordinator. She was a bit harsh on the phone and I just burst out in tears when i explained things were not well st home for my son. Anyway, now to get him some help and make him accept it is the next challenge.

I worked for 3 hours this morning but was so stressed out that I just went to lie down and do my body scan meditation CD. I feel better now. My daughter has her test for secondary school today. As the chinese say I live in " interesting times".

Have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:07 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Ellen -- that's great news!! There is a girl in our running group who has MS and her doc says she can run 5k as long has she doesn't get overheated. There is something about MS and heat and sun that don't mix. When we come back from our runs she stretches outside as to not get the heat. She cannot run in the morning because she says she has "MS legs" but anytime afterwards is fine. In the summer she runs at night in the dark I just may join her this summer because I really, really dislike the heat. Bravo to your Doc for working WITH you...

I've been having a difficult time with food, exercise Last week I ran twice and made it to the gym twice... I haven't gained but I "feel" fat I just have to get crackalakin' !! This morning I had a mediocre leg workout and tonight I run at 4:15... Thank goodness for that running group, they keep me accountable...

Rabbit -- Even if a divorce runs "smoothly" it always affects the children, get some good counselling for him...

2F -- Even if moose look timid I wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley ... ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

2F - Moose have been known to attack, though it's not always a given. The worst thing is that they are HUGE! I once came very close to one on the highway while driving a little pickup truck and I could see that the hood of the truck was going to right under the moose's stomach! Fortunately, he got off the road before I hit him - but it was closer than I liked.

Ellen, glad to hear you have a definitive diagnosis, and a doctor that will work with you and recognizes your goals! That's a big thing.

Rabbit, it's a two steps forward, one step back sort of situation you're in. Overall you're doing well, just keep moving foward. And lots of cyber for you!! As Ilene said your son may benefit from some counselling - kids of his age often think - unrealistically - that divorce is somehow their fault.

I had a great workout last night. Did a mile on the then the bodypump class. My poor arms are so sore today and going up and down stairs is, um, interesting! She makes us do lots and lots of squats and lunges, as well as upper body work and oh-so-many crunches - OUCH! Today is most assuredly a rest day.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #11  
Mel

Ellen Even when the diagnosis isn't great, just knowing what it is can be a relief. You have such a positive attitude and it really does sound like your doc wants to work with you and see you flourish.

Pat- I once "stalked" a moose in Maine to get pictures. Got about 10 feet from him and some great pics! Everyone who saw the pictures and knew that I didn't have a long telephoto was horrified-- I had no idea how dangerous they could be!

Just did legs...gawd...I'm not going to be able to walk! I discovered one of our gym members used to be the head trainer at a nearby Bally's but burned out on training. He spotted me and egged me on to heavier squats that I usually try without a spotter.

OK, back to the gym!

Mel
Old 02-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

You people are haunting me. No matter how I search .... there's the ladies who lift .... better go read some ....
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:24 PM   #13  
Mel

Okie Dokie, I'm seriously SORE!

and I remembered that moose was in northern Quebec, not Maine.

Susan, why do you think we are stalking YOU?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

The first moose I ever saw was in Maine - my 66 VW bug would have gone right under it! Now think about the fact that these are game animals here - we've had a hind quarter given us, lasted like 2 years! Tastes good though, and very lean.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:12 AM   #15  
aka Superwoman!

Oh I wanna see a Moose You guys have all the fun

Great kickboxing last night, beating up the blokes! Almost did box splits

Good eating the past week or so, back on track with a vengence!

Dropped 2lbs since Friday Still feeling it's a fluke! We'll see what happens when Mr TOM leaves the house!

: all you Moose stalkers and Susan stalkers