Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-21-2005, 01:13 PM   #1  
Lawshark

Default New Maintainer Needs Advice

Okay. I've now reached the frustration point where I need advice.

I've been on Jenny Craig since 7-9-04. 3 weeks ago, I hit my goal weight of 115. At JC, they wean you off the JC foods when you hit goal. At your halfway mark, they put you on 2 days on your own. When you hit goal, they add another day on your own each week until you are totally off the JC foods. This week, I'm down to just 2 days of JC. For each day on my own, they increased my calories from 1200 to 1500.

But, even though I've increased calories, I've continued to lose weight. I have one of the Tanita scales that measures body fat as well. This morning, I was at 111.9 pounds and 23% body fat. At night when I weigh, the weight is about the same, give or take a tenth of a pound, but the body fat goes to 18% body fat and registers in the "unhealthy" range. Last night, the counselor told me to increase my calories from 1500 to 1700 per day on the days on my own. I'm 48 years old and 5'4" tall.

I don't want to undo all my good work and start to gain weight back. But the size 2 jeans I just got for Christmas are getting baggy and won't stay up and I can't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe every month!

Here are my questions:

1. How do you balance maintaining weight without losing/gaining? (Yes, I know, that's like asking, "What's the meaning of life" but any advice/tips would be appreciated.)

2. I have very little knowledge about body fat percentages and have always assumed that the less fat, the better off you are. Is there really such a thing as "too thin" (or too rich???) What is considered a healthy body fat percentage? What happens if it's too low?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by lawshark; 01-21-2005 at 01:16 PM.
lawshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #2  
Mel

Those are two big questions!

Quote:
1. How do you balance maintaining weight without losing/gaining? (Yes, I know, that's like asking, "What's the meaning of life" but any advice/tips would be appreciated.)

It is like asking "What's the meaning of life?" because the answer is different for each of us. Since you are losing on 1500 calories, that's obviously not enough for you. On the other hand, did you only stay at that level for 2 days? Would you "automatically" have increased your calories on the week-end with different eating habits or more/less exercise? I know you don't want to lose more, but I think you need to look at a longer term trend than 2 days unless you absolutely know that you will stick to a plan 100% of the time. At that low a weight and calorie level, every bite, lick and taste counts. The difference between losing, maintaining and gaining at this point can be 1 teaspoon of peanut butter a day, or the difference between low-fat or full fat salad dressing. I think you need to plan HOW you want to maintain, which probably sounds silly, since most of us probably would have said at the outset that we wanted to eat "normally". Do you want to eat exactly the same number of calories every day and see the same number on the scale (give or take water retention) daily? Or do you want to have a planned splurge meal or two each week, and restrict a bit the rest of the time to account for the goodies? You'll see a few peaks and valleys on the scale, but this may allow you more freedom socially and from the "I'm always on a diet" mentality. My advice would be to find you caloric maintenance level first, then play with zig-zagging around it if that's the way you want to go. I'd add slowly- go up to 1600 calories, then add by 50 calorie increments. But take several days before you move on.

Quote:
2. I have very little knowledge about body fat percentages and have always assumed that the less fat, the better off you are. Is there really such a thing as "too thin" (or too rich???) What is considered a healthy body fat percentage? What happens if it's too low?
There is a thing such as too thin. Fat is an insulator against lean times. We are pretty confident that the grocery store will still have food tomorrow (though with a major snowstorm predicted here, I'm not sure about milk and bread ), but if you get sick and can't eat much for 3 days, you need something other than lean mass to sustain you brain. At 112 pounds, you don't have a lot of lean mass, either. I think your Tanita is being pretty conservative, but you are small. For women, 11-14% body fat is considered "essential"; that means that most women will experience some type of systemic failure if their body fat falls below some point in that range. Usually the first thing to go is your menstrual cycle, if you still have hormones . Competitive bodybuilders (female) usually drop their body fat to between 8-10% on the day they compete, and usually lose their cycles for several months. This isn't healthy 12-22% is considered "athletic", 16-25% is considered "fit", 26-31% is considered "at risk", 32-36% is considered "clinically obese", and over 36% is considered "chronically obese". You can see that in the healthy ranges there are quite a bit of overlap, and depending on the amount of muscle mass, the same body fat% looks quite different on different people. I'm an inch shorter than you but weigh 126.5 right now with a bf% of about 16%. Because I have so much more muscle, I look FAT at 23%, but am quite happy about how I look at 16%. I recently did a fitness check on a woman who is 5'4" and was thrilled to reach her WW goal of 138 pounds. She looked and felt good, and I had to gently tell her that her body fat percentage of 31 wasn't in the healthy range. The scale weight would have been fine if some of it was muscle!

Don't worry about the variation in bf readings from morning to evening on your Tanita scale. It's measuring the difference in hydration levels, and the food in your stomach. Use the reading first thing in the morning after you go to the bathroom, before you have water or coffee. I've measured a 4% drop in mine after 45 minutes of slow cardio. I did not burn up 4% of my body fat!

Soooo, I wrote you a book here. Did I answer your question?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #3  
Lawshark

Yes, thanks so much. I've actually been at the 1500 level for 3 weeks now and was still losing an average of 1.5 lbs per week. My JC counselor has advised me to immediately go up to 1700 calories which doesn't really scare me but does give me some concerns about gaining the weight back. My goal is to actually just stay with the 115 to 120 lb range, but no more. I don't mind so much if I zig-zag up and down in that range -- I just don't want to keep going in one direction until I either disappear or balloon up.

As far as the body fat -- I did some on line research after posting the question and basically found different advice as to what a "healthy" percentage is at practically every web site. But you've helped instill some confidence that even with the varying range of 18-23% registering on my Tanita, I'm okay.

I'll keep trying to put the brakes on the weight loss here. I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there who are saying "I should have such problems."
Old 01-22-2005, 12:30 PM   #4  
cookies are for browsers

Hi Elaine

I just had to chime in - I bought a Tanita scale for the body fat % too, but I have to say that I cannot in good faith depend on that number. I get my body fat measured by my trainer. I tried last week the Tanita to see what my BF% was; I got 18%, 42% and 36% - all within 5 minutes of each other!! Obviously this is not right. It sounds like your scale is a bit more reliable than mine. but there's better ways to measure body fat.

Congrats on your success!!

Jennifa
jennifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:54 PM   #5  

Default Putting the brakes on weight loss

Elaine, this is something I am struggling with as well. I reached my WW goal, went thru maintenance, became a Lifetime member Nov. 2004. Have continued to lose about 1 lb./week since then, with reasonable food and exercise patterns.

Now that I am feeling more freedom, I am kind of anxious about how to treat it. Tonight I took my kids out for dinner,ate a mushroom burger and french fries. I couldn't believe I was eating fries, let alone red meat.

What I want: maintain my loss, keep healthy habits, not obsess about everything I eat. It's hard!
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:48 AM   #6  

Hi Elaine!
I too reached goal in November (but on WW) and have been struggling with the same issues. I seemed to be just getting things stabilized and maintaining my weight pretty much for a couple of weeks without losing when I developed an abscessed tooth last week. I stepped on the scale this morning and see I've dropped a couple of pounds again so I'll have to work on that (as soon as I can chew properly again!)
I don't actually count calories myself but have just started adding little extras into my regular diet. For example, I sprinkle pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds on my salads and I've started using olive oil and flavoured vinegars for salad dressing instead of buying low fat dressings. I've started making my own yogurt from 2% milk instead of buying the fat free ones. Through the week, I eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies with some lean protein and some whole grains etc. On Saturdays, I treat myself to a nice brunch with eggs, peameal bacon and rye toast and then for dinner I often go to the corner restaurant for their steak special with an 8oz steak and baked potato with veggies and a salad. This seems to be working for me (other than this week). At first, even with the additions, I continued to lose but after several weeks, it slowed down and I started to maintain. I think that it does take your body a while to adjust to not losing weight any more.
talks2flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #7  
Lawshark

Thanks everybody for all the helpful advice. It's been a few weeks now and my Jenny Craig counselor has upped my calorie level to 1700 calories per day. That finally seems to have stabilized the weight. For the past two weeks I've fluctuated between 111 lbs and 113 lbs but not gone higher than 113. I'm happy with that.