Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:03 AM   #1  

Cool need suggestions for packing food to take to work

DH and I started counting points yesterday on our own. I have been a member of WW in the past and have all the info I need. I work 12 hour shifts and have been on days off. However, I return to work on Thursday. I leave the house at 6am and get home about 8pm. Therefore I need to take 3 meals (I can't face breakfast that early in the morning) and snacks. I am looking for any suggestions for tasty,filling and portable foods. I have access to fridge, stove and microwave. Sometimes I have time for my meals and other times I have to eat while I monitor the phone and deal with my other job duties. Sometimes there are other staff there to take care of things while and I eat and other times I'm on my own. One thing I've had problems with in the past is that I don't eat a decent supper and then I arrive home at 8pm starving....and that is very dangerous ground for me.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Nancy
Old 04-29-2004, 10:48 AM   #2  
It is what it is...

Nancy -
If I were you I would stock up on WW Smart Ones frozen meals, most that I have tried are really good and low in points.
Also I find that for me I need protein to get me through, so I buy lean sliced turkey at the deli and eat that for a snack, it is very filling and only about 2 points on the average for two ounces. You could do the same with a lean Ham, just roll it up and pack it in a sandwich bag...if you want a sandwich add some low calorie wheat bread and have a sandwich for like 2 or 3 points.
If I am feeling snacky I usually have some 94% FF Popcorn or some low calorie, high fiber cereal.
Hope this helped some.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Carri has given some great suggestions. I keep a small bag of baby carrots in the fridge so if I need a quick pick-me-up snack, I'll grab one or two and munch on them. I've been gathering up some crock-pot recipes and making stuff on weekends and freezing it in meal portions and bringing those. I also will make a salad using reduced fat/calorie dressing (I can't do FF) or make sandwiches with whole grain bread and low fat cheese with the deli meats. There's lots of great recipes on here as well.
What's really been working for me is to plan my meals out the night before so that way I'm not tempted by vending machines (or the convenience store across the street in my case) or to go eat at fast food restaurants.
Good luck.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:09 PM   #4  

Fruits make a good snack-- strawberries, oranges already peeled and sectioned, etc. Chopped veggies are also good snacks.

For my lunch, I generally make a salad (lettuce blend, cucumber, tomato, green pepper), and top it with a Tbsp. of shredded cheese, a serving of croutons (2 Tbsp in the brand I buy), and a grilled chicken breast (prepared the night before on my George Foreman Grill) cut into strips. I store the fat-free italian dressing and croutons separate until it's time to eat the salad. It's very filling, and low in points (around 7 or so), and I'm not hungry for a while. The nice thing about the chicken breasts too is that you can prepare 3 on Sunday night, and then you've got lunch protein for the next three days.

The WW entrees are also a good idea (esp. for variety), but I find them to be a bit pricey. I'm a bargain girl, and I can make more lunches for less $ if I use my salad stuff.

Breakfast can be easy, too-- boil up some eggs and keep in the fridge; bring yogurt and some grape-nuts to sprinkle on top for "crunch"; buy the individual packages of oatmeal (you can cook them in the microwave) and bring one a day to work. If you're not a "breakfast food" person, the Campbells "Soup to go" things are nice in the morning-- they're warm and comforting.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2004, 12:07 PM   #5  

lunches...hmm...I am a big fan of McDonald's side salads... I go on Monday and get salads for the week. They are $1 a piece and I could never make them at home for that little... otherwise I am a fan of granola bars to give my sweet tooth something...and sandwiches are always a great thing, even if you bring everything seperately and put it together at work, I hate a soggy sandwich! :-)
Closed Thread