Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-30-2004, 09:08 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Question Hip question....

My Question: ..... On sunday it was so gorgeous that DH and I went for a walk... Since then my hips are so sore!!!! I can't really tell if it's a muscular sore or a bone sore! Does that make sense? Also last summer when I biked alot I used to get this soreness, it's sore enough that it can keep me awake at night, tossing and turning from one hip to the other, then I end up sleeping on my back and SNORE like a Banchee! What I don't understand tho is that I've been running on the :treadmill: all winter, no sore hips... I think the walking may be due to the sidewalks, but why the biking, there's no impact there?... My mom has been having sore hips too, she's 75, and had her bone density checked and sure 'nuf she's starting osteo... I got my bone density checked too and it’s perfect, I know it's because of the weight training...

Just thought I'd put this question out there to you gals before I go see the doc, ugh, I hate doctors... I wish our town would have a sports clinic for stuff like this....

Just need some comments and/or input...

Thanks in advance...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 05:43 PM   #2  

Ilene,

I feel like I should respond, just because I suffer from some arthritis and have had a hip replacement (I'm only 32!!) But doing great now. Anyway, only a doctor can tell you what's really going on (and even they are clueless sometimes), but seriously, you should just have it checked out. I used to hate doctors too, but they could put your mind at ease & I would not be walking without them. I think they key is finding the right doctor for you, so be picky about it! My orthopedic surgeon is just amazing, and he tells me anytime I have enough pain to wake me in the night, I should check it out. But just so you know, my hips and knees ache like crazy when I walk on pavement or cement (I cannot stand going to BJ's or anyplace with a concrete floor). I do O.K. on the treadmill and O.K. on the bike, but if I overdo it, I feel it. Of course, I'm the extreme....but go have an exam, you'll feel better knowing what's up.
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:12 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Thank you very much, and yessss *sigh* I should go see the doc about it... It hadn't bothered me since last summer when I was biking so I thought it had gone away, till this Sunday.... and it was walking and not biking...
Old 03-31-2004, 06:20 AM   #4  
Meg

Ilene -- I can't help you with the hip problem , but I have to tell you that I crack up every time I see the title of this thread: Hip question ... because I know that you are one hip chick! I thought I'd click on it and see something like you asking about getting your belly button pierced or a LWL tattoo or something like that ....

Maybe I just need more coffee this morning?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 06:40 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Ya numb nut!! Get some coffee!!
Old 03-31-2004, 08:00 AM   #6  

Ilene, If you had aggrevated the joints one day walking or standing too much, or whatever, then biked before the inflammation had gone down, you may have just caused it to flare up again. You know?? Its hard to trace the pain back to a specific activity sometimes. And while we're on the subject, my elbow is killing me and I'm SOOOOO annoyed, I could barely lift the milk jug this a.m. I need my UBWO's, I'm addicted to them.
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 08:12 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I get elbow soreness too.... kinda like tennis elbow... I've had to go very light on curls and side raises... Very annoying!!
Old 03-31-2004, 08:35 AM   #8  
Mel

Haha! I thought maybe you wanted advice on which tatoo to pick
I get the hip soreness alot. I went for a run on Sunday (first in a looong time) and am still sore. For me, I'm prestty sure it's inflammation of all the muscle attachments along the top and back ridge of the pelvic bones. Very annoying, and the end of my road running
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:18 AM   #9  

Numb Nuts Unite! I thought it was going to be a hip, as in cool question too.

More coffee, please!

dip
diphthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:43 AM   #10  

Default ouch!

Ilene,

I have got the same problem with my left hip. It started when I fell down skiing a few years ago, and has bothered me ever since from time to time especially when I overtrain or change workout routines. The pain I have is worse when I am cold and better when am warm and move about. While I do my weight training its ok, but after....In bed it gets worse because the leg is inert. It is probably an inflammation of the hip tendons, so...
Some things that can possibly help are:
1. Go to a doctor, REST and antiinflammatory medicine (consult a GOOD orthopedic)
2.None to heavy loads when doing: squats of any type, deadlifts or avoid them if you have to (I know you do not want to), in short anything that will "pull" too much on the hip muscles
3.Go easy on heavy running, biking, aerobic exercize and opt for easy walking instead. This is during recovery period.

Hope this will hellp too. Let us know how ya r doing

Greekgirl, moved to France
Greekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I'm part of the Numb Nuts club too. I thought you wanted a piercing.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:08 PM   #12  

I had a lot of lower back/hip problems when I was pitching for my softball team (lots of hip twisting in one direction all the time). I went to physical therapy for it all through high school. I was taught to squeeze a basketball between my knees while lying on my back - sometimes it *pops* and then feels a lot better, and it helps to strengthen the muscles. Doing exercises for the inner thigh muscles really helps - I think the soreness comes from the muscles being unbalanced and the body overcompensating in one area. There are some very embarrassing adductor machines in my gym (reminds me of going to the "womens doc" and sitting in stirrups) but the exercises really help. Also - inner thigh leg lifts work well!
emilyatau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:18 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Mell said --- "For me, I'm pretty sure it's inflammation of all the muscle attachments along the top and back ridge of the pelvic bones." That's what it feels like to me too...

Thank you for the input Greek, I will TRY to take it easy .... Easier SAID than DONE tho...

To the other Numb Nuts ... I wish it were a cute tatoo!! Maybe I should get one and have a REASON for a little while to be sore...I'm too chicken tho! I wouldn't mind a navel piersing but no one would ever see it because I don't show my belly ... Next coffee!!

Emily -- we have those machines at the gym too which I haven't used in a very long time... they cleverly made them face the wall, in order, I think, to lessen the embarrassment ....

Last edited by Lanaii1; 03-31-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:13 PM   #14  
Mel

Ilene- All the women on the Canadian lacrosse team got very discreet red maple leafs outlined in black very low in the small of their backs. I was horrified when dd did it, but now I think it looks kind of cool. I think the secret to gettin it done is copious amounts of beer and peer pressure

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 03:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I'm still considering getting a small elephant on my shoulder blade. However, I don't like beer and I don't think Kool-Aid will numb me sufficiently so for now, the elephant will have to wait.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote