General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 10:19 AM   #1  

Question Off topic -- Question for anyone with a tattoo

I was thinking getting a tattoo. I would like to hear from anyone that already has a tattoo -- where it is on your body, what was the pain level, any experiences, regrets, etc. Thanks for you help everyone!!
Old 07-30-2003, 11:55 AM   #2  
Student of the Hoof

I bet you get a lot of responses to this one! I have one that encircles my wrist. That's a particularly sensitive area, because the skin is thin and it's right on bone. I, on the other hand, have a relatively high tolerance for pain. My one regret, if you can call it that, was that it was done by someone who was not an artist - but that was the first time. I had it redone by someone who was very good about 2 years later, and I'm much happier with it now.

I do plan on getting more when I have the money.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:06 PM   #3  
Imagine...

I have one rose on my right breast...I wish I though about getting older when I got it, as it used to be alot higher up. hehehe
Old 07-30-2003, 01:19 PM   #4  

I have one on my right shoulder blade, its of a skull with a hood that wraps around and tapers off.

Did it hurt? Yep, but childbirth is much worse. Actually it felt a lot like hard, sharp, scratching over and over again in the same spot.

Regrets? The design. I was 19 and on my own for the first time, trying to show just how tough I was. I never thought that I would feel differently about it when I was 33, but now that I am older I wish I would have gotten something else.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:10 PM   #5  

I have 6 tats..got my first when I was 19 and it can be very addictive!! The one that hurt the most was the one on my ankle...not much but bone there! Be sure you think a lot about the design before you go...remember it is forever and laser surgery is a lot more painful if you wind up hating what you get. Be sure to find a reputable shop and I have found word of mouth the best way to decide on a shop to go to....when you can see someone else's work physically it says alot. Make sure they are licensed and single use needles...any good shop doesn't mind answering any question you may have. The pain level depends on where you get it but I won't lie...it does hurt no matter where. Of my six I only regret one...it's not finished and not what I would finish this point in my life...too much skin to cover...so I am looking to have part of it removed. Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2003, 08:31 AM   #6  

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I want to make sure if I do it I won't regret it so I've been asking around to find out where to go and I know I want some kind of Celtic design so I've been looking on the Internet and even bought a book so I can find something that I really like. I've always thought about getting one but for some reason I never did. I'm 26 now and I think that if I had gotten one at 18 I would have picked somethign on a whim off of the wall at the shop and maybe regretted it. I'm not really sure what my tolerance for pain is because I've never been in a huge amount of pain. Thanks again for your help!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:58 PM   #7  

I have only one tattoo on my left shoulder which is a butterfly - I had it done when I was 32 and I've never regretted it. Go to someone who is registered and uses disposable needles (I forget this is the UK maybe different over there) They're very addictive I could've had my body covered but the flesh wilts!!!!! so I'm content with what I have. I may have one done for my 50th birthday which is only 3 years off. The pain - I thought it was like having a matchbox (sandpaper) scratched over me very hard. Go for it!

Yo-yo dee
Old 08-07-2003, 06:19 PM   #8  

I have six tattoo's had them for 40 years and was in Navy at the time. Spent 20 yrs in Navy. The only rgret I have is I have to wer a long sleeve shirt because I am a business man and do not want to make a bad first impression. So do not get it where can not be covered up, while normally dressed.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:59 AM   #9  

if you are deciding on a tattoo, draw the design on with a permanent marker (or water based and just reapply it as it wears off). live with it for a month or two, and see if you still like it.

my friends did that to test drive their tattoos. :-)

also, you might want to interview the people who might be doing your tattoo. it sucks to go through all the time and effort, only to be disappointed in the end because the artist wasn't one.

consider making your own design up, so that way it is as unique as you are. it seems silly to me to go to a tattoo place and choose something off the picture wall when hundreds of other people have the exact same tattoo.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:30 AM   #10  
Starting over once again

I got mine when I was 21. It is a small rose on the left side of my chest... up near my shoulder. I love it & don't regret it at all... except for the color. It's red & I like yellow roses better, but oh well. Another poster said that it can be addictive. Oh how true this is. I've wanted another since I got this one but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm waiting until I lose all my weight so it can be an incentive to do so.

As far as the pain, the outline was what hurt the worst. The coloring in didn't bother me because the skin was already pretty much numb.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:35 AM   #11  

Thumbs down

I have 4 , 2 on my ankle , and one on my back shoulder , and one on my wrist. I love them all, I don't regret any of them.I get looks, especially with the cross on my inside arm its about 2 inches long but it's beautiful, an I don't care if people don't like it. They don't mean a thing to me, If you judge me for my tattoos then you judge people for all kinds of things , and I don't want to know you.I find that younger people love them and compliment me on my cross all the time.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:49 PM   #12  

I got 2

The first one I had gotten was when I was like 18 and stupid.. and I got a heart and dagger on my right upper arm

I then got my next one.. a design I really wanted.. a cross.. on the backside of my neck (right below neckline)

here is a glimpse
Old 08-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #13  

Cool Tattoo Annex !!My cross is about the same size as your's but it's real fancy, real girlie !! I have heard that the back hurt's ?? None of mine have. Kinda feel's like a bee sting at first but get's better after a few minutes.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:18 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally posted by bella1
Cool Tattoo Annex !!My cross is about the same size as your's but it's real fancy, real girlie !! I have heard that the back hurt's ?? None of mine have. Kinda feel's like a bee sting at first but get's better after a few minutes.
fancy? what you get? a tribal design.. ?
Old 08-27-2003, 01:24 PM   #15  

Well sorta they shrunk it down quite a bit , so the lines are real thin.I guess you could call it tribal.
Closed Thread