Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 02:30 AM   #1  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Default LWL #146 --- Week of March 15-21, 2004

It's Monday night here and most of you are asleep so I thought that I would start the new thread.

Here's to a butt kickin' week.

JC
Old 03-15-2004, 04:51 AM   #2  

Hello Ladies (and Gentlemen)
I have never posted on this thread before, but have been "lurking" for quite a while.
I have been into lifting on and off since high school... so thats about (eek) 10 years now. I ALWAYS feel better when I lift but for some reason I always stop.
I guess my new goal is to quit quitting!
My main reason for posting today is to thank whoever posted the link to www.stumptuous.com Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you!!!!!!!!!!!
I love this site!!!

Tusch!
kjo
Old 03-15-2004, 08:07 AM   #3  
Mel

Good Morning LWL!
Welcome AAB- I'll leave it to Ilene to give you our official LWL welcome. If you've been reading, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!

I'm off to the gym in a few minutes but wanted to pop in and say hi. Another long day, ds home sick...It's Chest and tri's for me today, but I may have to do them at home. I don't think I've any time between clients today, and I don't want to leave ds ALL day. It seems like one of us has been sick continually since November. Getting real tired of this.

The week-end was 50% for me. Took an unscheduled free couple of hours on Saturday, but didn't do too much damage. Sunday was 100% clean, and got in a HIIT session before heading to Baltimore to watch dd play in a lacrosse game against Johns Hopkins. OSU got thrashed, but dd had a great game Since it's the last one of her college playing that I'll get to see, I'm glad she personally did well. A win would have been nice.

Babysteps- If your still reading here...I don't think any of us would say we've got it all figured out. Maybe we sound that way, but even those of us who have reached whatever we thought was our original goal still struggle. For me, it's sometimes and hourly process of continually thinking about what is most important in my life. Is a biscuit more important than my health? Does it even taste good? Will I feel better or worse for having eaten it? Those of us who have had unhealthy relationships with food for most of our lives don't just change. What changes is behavior.

Along those lines, could I ask a big favor? I don't knw how the rest of the board feels about this, so please chime in with your thoughts. I know that admitting to food setbacks is cathartic, but reading a long list of unclean sweets or cheat foods just makes me start to crave them. How would people feel about just saying something like "I blew it big time and gave into some foods I shouldn't have but have been wanting for a while?" Please let's discuss this- I don't want to sound like I'd like to censor posts, but it is really causing me some problems.

OK, off to work, back later

Mel
Old 03-15-2004, 09:09 AM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Good morning!

I have to be at work early to set up for my big meeting (then I have to take them to dinner both tonight and tomorrow...at least tonight I can order from the menu!) so just a quick note for now...

Been GORGEOUS here this weekend - so I haven't been spending much time at the computer - taking advantage of the sun and heat. Love it!

Mel - I totally understand and hear ya on the 'bad food issue'. I must admit that these days, with my super-busy schedule, it's very difficult for me to respond to EVERY post in the weekly thread here at LWL - it moves so quickly! I assure y'all that I am not purposely ignoring you - time is tight for me. Hopefully it will loosen up a bit from time to time, but that's life!

Babysteps - I concur with what Mel and Dip (on the other thread) told you. We aren't trying to be mean - personally, I just share what I've learned in the past 30-some years of fighting the battle of the bulge. (this goes to everyone reading...) I talk about a lot of things that I've done - different diets, workouts, and my plastic surgery experiences of the past year. Basically it comes down to "take what you need and leave the rest". Everyone here is different, and will have different results with different plans - there is no one plan that works for everyone, be it BFL, Atkins, SBD, WW, whatever. I recommended Dr. Phil's books to BabySteps because he deals with something IMPORTANT that most of the weight-loss literature out there does not - the 'head stuff'. IMO to be successful at losing and managing weight loss, you've got to get your inner self straightened out first, otherwise you're just spinning your wheels.

As far as plastic surgery - as I stated above, I'm just relating my personal experiences and what I've learned (I think Meg would say the same). It's a topic that has garnered a great deal of interest recently, and folks want to know more about it (that's why Meg has a "Loose Skin and Weight Loss FAQ" sticky thread in the Maintainer's Forum). Just FYI...

Gotta run and hit the shower - gonna be a busy busy day for me
Old 03-15-2004, 09:14 AM   #5  
Lovin' Zumba!

Mel - one quick thought - on another board I belong to, we have a "food confessional" thread, where people can share their unclean eats. If we started one here, it would give us a place to get it off our chests, but those of us who don't want to read the gory details could just avoid that thread.
Cindy
Old 03-15-2004, 09:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Mel - GREAT IDEA! Once I binged on something that I never would have even THOUGHT of if I hadn't read it here, so from now on, my lips are sealed.

JEC - You got that right! A definite butt-kicking, butt-burning week is on my calendar as well.

MrsJim - Can you send some sun my way? We are expecting 3 inches of snow tonight.

Okay funny story y'all. I went to the gym yesterday for track, bis and tris. I stretched the legs out, got my CD player all set up and took off running. I got about 1/4 around the track and tripped on ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and fell down, bounced, and landed on my back. I felt SO stupid. This lady stopped to see if I was okay but the look on my face told her to just shut up and move on. I got up, reset my CD player took off running and TRIPPED AGAIN! I skinned my knee and elbow and burned the skin off my knuckles on my right hand. HOWEVER, I stayed, ran my 30 minutes, and did my weight lifting.

This AM, I did 40 minutes on the track - AWESOME! Also worked back and abs. Today I am wearing a suit I haven't had on in 3 years with new shoes (yes 3 inches heels) and am feeling very Divaish! Yes, its gonna be a kick butt week!

Peace. Tiki.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:57 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Great idea Mel! I've overeaten more than once after reading it on here... and very good idea too Cindy on a "confessional" thread...

Tiki with that smile and those heals, You must look pretty dang HOT!!

HAd a good leg workout today, but I didn't do lunges so it doesn't feel complete... Oh well... knee must rest...

Going to Ottawa shopping... kids are on March Break... Later!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:43 AM   #8  
For my HEALTH...

Hi it's Pookie peeking in again:

I have made an additional "weights" purchase. I once had a very bad break to my left wrist which required surgery. Since then I have not been able to turn that wrist all the way over so I was having a bit of a problem with that left hand weight. I went back to "Arnold's" place and I brought Wrist Weights that allow you to go from 1/4 pound all the way up to 5 lbs by adding the little bars. This way I can strap it to my wrist and not have to worry about turning that hand all the way over.

After stops & stalls I have been losing weight for the last few days. TODAY I am going to start seeing a medical advisor once a week who will monitor my weight loss & health.
I think that will help as well.

I hope you all keep up the good work and support for each other. You are such an inspiring group of ladies and I enjoy reading your posts so much.Bye for now: --Pookie

HAPPY ST PAT'S WEEK !
Old 03-15-2004, 10:44 AM   #9  
Lovin' Zumba!

Good morning LWL!

Well, I've broken down and ordered Dr. Phil's book for myself. Thanks to Karen and Dip for pointing me to the book club forum on this - I don't explore this site much, and had no idea that was there. Just reading some of the stuff about the early chapters is what has convinced me that I need the book.

I've been lucky thus far, and been able to deal with a lot of the emotional issues related to my loss on my own, but lately that's not been the case. This loss has not taken away all of my issues - my life has not miraculously changed for the better, and because of that, in the last week, I've been rather sloppy about my program - poor eating and 2 skipped workouts. And this scares me.

I want to be able to continue to feel great about the progress I've made, but that's hard when personal issues make me feel like it's just not enough... And I know that I need to separate the two - but I obviously can't do it by myself...

This is hard - sometimes staying in your big fat safe cocoon seems so much easier. I wasn't happy, but I was in denial, and that was comfortable to me. This is not.

Let's just hope I can hang tight until I work through this....
Cindy
Old 03-15-2004, 11:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Arrow

I've been flipping through Dr Phil's book a bit lately (there's a copy sitting around in my office - think it must belong to the boss, who could certainly benefit from some Dr Phil wisdom) I think he's got some great ideas, though not new ideas, and I can see how this book is helping so many people. Since I started my weight loss (almost a year ago now) I've done a lot of serious thinking about things that happened in the past and how I've let them affect me, and I've let them go. Well, I'm still working on the letting go, but I try - at least I know what it is I'm letting go of, now.

One thing I think I've finally REALLY got through my head (I hope) after all these years is that losing weight and getting in better shape only means that I will weigh less and be more fit. I mean, it sounds pretty obvious, but I found I was always thinking that it would somehow make me different, make me happier, make my life better. I do think my life is better when I feel more healthy, but that's about all. It doesn't make me rich, popular, happy, or less socially awkward, not at all. And that's OK. I can work on those other things (if I cared to) in their own way and time.

Boy, I sound a lot more together than I am. I think I'll copy this stuff to my journal so I can remind myself of what I've allegedly learned.

Tiki, that was a funny but painful-sounding story. (As we always say in my family "Have a nice trip? See you next fall!" ) I think it's so great that you got up and kept going - not sure I would have, which I'd be sorry about later, for sure.

AllAmericanBeauty, welcome, and isn't Krista's Stumptuous site great? I love it.

Mel, I agree with the idea of trying not to mention the bad foods we eat. Gives me subliminal ideas I'd just as soon not have. The TV gives me enough of 'em.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:14 PM   #11  

Yep, I'm a dupe for the power of sugestion, so not reading the details of an ooops! would be better for me too. But I would like to have a "confessional" because I think if I admit to you all what I did eat, especially this last time, you would understand why I ask Ilene for Canadian dispensation from time to time. One man's ceiling's another man' floor. One LWL's oops is another LWL's "you think that's bad?"

Tiki - I trip on the treadmill but haven't fallen. And I do worry about falling on the track at my gym and embarrassing myself. So when I run on that track, I lift my feet high off the ground. I think my brain doesn't adjust to the thickness of the soles of my running shoes. It's a big difference because I don't wear shoes whenever I can get away with it. Hope your boo-boos heal real quick.

Hi Pookie! And welcome AllAmericanBeauty! Hi to all!

Well, I hope I haven't offended anybody, but if I have, I apologize. I have been active in messageboard communties for several years, and as I said in another thread, some times, what we really mean doesn't come across in the written word. If I were totally capable of doing that, I'd be writing books and not posts. Since attempting to reschedule myself and take care of things on this side of the monitor, I haven't been able to acknowledge every post, although I read them all. Also, the traffic on LWL picks up now and then, and it takes time to get to know each indivdual. Many times I don't respond because I feel I'm not qualified, or have experience enough to do so. I'm no different from anyone else, in that I need knowledge, support and encouragement, but some days just have to find it for myself, and it's usually in someone else's post not personally directed toward me.

dip
Old 03-15-2004, 01:43 PM   #12  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Meg, That post was up for about one second before I thought better of it. Sorry to see you copied and left it for all to see. Obviously I don't see this site as all bad or I wouldn't bother coming back. I don't think you read what I had to say very carefully.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:50 PM   #13  
Meg

Ledom -- I apologize for responding to your post. I always copy over to Word and respond from there since I can't spell and need to use Word's spellcheck feature.

I had no idea that you changed your mind about what you posted. I saw Karen's response and added my two cents.

I'll go back and delete my response with your quote.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:13 PM   #14  
JEC
Aussie and proud

I am totally lost but OK!

I agree on the food thingy though and not mentioning the crap but isolating it to another thread then we have more of a choice.

JC
Old 03-15-2004, 04:18 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Okay JEC what had happened was Ledom posted a recipe for a low-fat EXCELLENT chicken recipie and then Meg copied her post to ask a question but then it looked like Meg was taking credit for it so then Ledom called Meg a low down dirty recipe stealing so and so and then Meg got offended and challenged Ledom to an armwrestling match. Meanwhile.......

Okay, so that's NOT what happened but hey, it makes for an interesting read, right?

I guess y'all can tell I have the sillies today.

Peace. Tiki.
Closed Thread