Old 10-22-2003, 04:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

Lightbulb Weekly exercise logs - beginning 10/22 - 10/25

It seems like more and more of us are interested in having a place where we can post information about our daily activity. Can we start something similar to the "Boot Camp" posts over on the South Beach message boards? I'd be glad to start it weekly if y'all are interested! Maybe we can use it to track our monthly goals for exercise? What do you think?

I like seeing what different types of activities folks are doing. As a matter of fact, I would never have added jogging to my routine if I hadn't been inspired by some of you.

If you are on board with the idea, please feel free to post your minutes here!!!

Meanwhile, here is an interesting article I found today on MSN health:

Oct. 17, 2003 -- Tuning into your favorite fast-paced tunes at the gym may be a sound way to jumpstart your workout.

New research now shows what many Walkman enthusiasts have known for years: listening to upbeat music during exercise can increase the intensity and speed of your workout.

Despite music's popularity at the gym, researchers say few studies have looked at how different types of music affect how intensely people exercise.

Faster Music, Faster Feet

In this study, researchers examined how listening to different music tempos changed exercise intensity and performance.

Healthy volunteers pedaled a stationary bicycle for 60 minutes while listening to prepared audiotapes with music of varying tempo (no tempo, slow, medium, or fast tempo). The cyclists were free to change gears, and the only instructions given were to ride as they felt.

The study showed that pedaling cadence (speed) increased as the tempo of the music increased, ranging from 76 rpm to 84 rpm (no tempo to fast tempo). The heart rate and power output of the cyclists also varied according to the music's tempo and increased as the tempo quickened.

The results of the study were presented this week at the annual meeting of the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation in Kansas City, Mo.

Researchers say the findings show that musical tempo has a small, but significant impact on spontaneous exercise intensity.

Last edited by lmaxin; 10-22-2003 at 06:26 PM.
lmaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 04:36 PM   #2  

I love the idea of somewhere to log exercise!!

So far this week:
10/20 - 35min treadmill
10/22 - 35min eliptical
Southern Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 05:24 PM   #3  

Default Wednesday routine

Today:
35 min. elliptical
25 min. weight training!

Just my usual.
Jen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 01:36 PM   #4  

Ok.. I give up.. someone kick my *** in gear.
tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 04:56 PM   #5  
it's the getting up

Tonic, just gonna you a little nudge before we kick your *** into gear! What's the deal girl? Are you bored or just can't get motivated? You can do this, you have had great success, go look at you photos. If that doesn't work, then go take a class at the gym or grab a girlfriend and go hike or walk. Please, just don't give up!!!
sunseeker_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 12:58 AM   #6  
Movin' and Losin'

I think I need a swift kick, too! Not sure what happened to my exercise... I used to walk two miles everyday, no matter what. Now that I've got my eating under control, I just can't seem to get any exercise in! Just think what I could do if I had both the exercise and the healthy eating going!!
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

C'mon, girls! tonic and j, you just have to get back into a grove!!! I know in the past when I have been in an exercise slump, I can think of every excuse in the world *not* to work out. Think about how awesome you feel after working out. Think about that extra little treat you can sneak in at the end of the day because you worked out and have a few extra calories to spare!!! I know you can do it! Make a date to work out and keep it!

I did 35 minutes of brisk walking yesterday, and I plan to hit the gym today.

Hope you all have a great Friday!!!
lmaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:02 PM   #8  
it's the getting up

Friday
60 minutes of the most uncordinated kickboxing I've ever tried to do!
13 minutes on the eliptical after class

Saturday
will be walking for 60+ minutes in the a.m.
sunseeker_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:54 PM   #9  

Wink

Friday:
35 min. elliptical, 25 min. weight training.
Did NOT want to go, did anyway, and SURPRISE!--was really glad I did. Especially with my weigh-in in the morning, and considering the brownie sundae I had tonight!
Old 10-25-2003, 11:03 AM   #10  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

I spent some time at the track Friday night. I ran one mile, and walked briskly for another mile. It felt really good-runner high
I plan on going again tonight, and adding in some lunges to-yeah!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 02:42 PM   #11  

Smile My victory!

Today I ran 3 miles! In a row! Can't wait to build on that. The coolest thing is, I felt pretty good throughout. I'm working on letting my mind wander while running, so I don't think too much about what I'm doing (thereby making it harder!). Running is SO a mental thing, I'm finding out.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #12  

Hi I'm new here...are there no more exercise messages since October, or are they posted somewhere else?
Moira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 04:29 PM   #13  

Oops sorry, I didn't realise that this is the 20s group....I need to look around more!!LOL
Moira is offline   Reply With Quote