Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 09:50 PM   #1  

Question Need to use weights...advice anyone?

Hi everyone...

I've lost 47 lbs in the last 10 months or so by making healthier eating choices and walking 3-4 miles a day at 4mph, but I realize now that I have got to add some weight training to my schedule in order to get a really toned look. I dont want to just be a smaller version of my flabby self. I have never used weights at all except occasionally carrying 5lbs in each hand while walking. I dont even know where to start. There's no gym close to me. My son has a weight set. Can someone give me a good site to check out for beginners that would tell me in detail exactly what to do to get started? I mean how to do the exercises, how to many to start with, etc. I'd appreciate any input. (I have 30 or so more lbs to lose, by the way.)

Thanks!
Miki
Old 09-14-2003, 09:59 PM   #2  

I'm rather new too. Begin by reading all you can get your eyes on, starting with MrsJim's Sticky Basic Bodybuilding Information - gettin' started. Great Links!

And a great group of gals! Good Luck!

dip
Old 09-14-2003, 10:11 PM   #3  
JEC
Aussie and proud

The sticky thread is the best referance we can give.

JC
Old 09-15-2003, 05:53 AM   #4  
Meg

Default Hi Miki!

Welcome! I see that you replied to that thread where I posted the fat and muscle photos -- amazing, isn’t it? Congratulations on your losses so far -- you've come a long way. Starting strength training will really help you lose the rest of the fat and firm up.

How to get started without a gym? I did start in a gym, knowing absolutely nothing about weights or even exercise, other than walking. I doubt that I had ever picked up a dumbbell in my life — so I really needed a lot of help in the beginning. Since you don't have access to a gym and want to try at home ...

I agree with Dip and JC that MrsJim put links to the good info from the Internet in the Basic Bodybuilding “sticky”. I’d especially like to highlight the Krista Smash web site — I went back to it time and time again when I was starting out: http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html There’s a ton of information there and a section on working out at home.

Do you have any friends who lift weights who might help you get started?

Good luck and let us know how you’re doing. Feel free to jump in and post on our weekly thread — we’re a very chatty bunch, but, as Ilene will tell you … well, I’ll let her tell you.

Meg
Old 09-15-2003, 07:29 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

~~ Meg you crack me up!! ~~ but here goes:

~Miki!!~ WELCOME TO LWL!! WE LUVS NEWBIES !!

I'm with the other girls read all you can, go to the Sticky go to the library, buy magazines if you can, AND visit us DAILY....

Later..
Old 09-16-2003, 09:24 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm definitely going to check out the Sticky and the website Meg recommended. I'll let ya'll know how it goes once I get started.

Miki
Closed Thread