Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#864

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

First off – Zelma - I totally know how you feel. Sometimes I write long messages and feel like no one writes back. Then other times they do. Sometimes things hit people in different ways. I for one am SO glad you are here and really look forward to your posts. Sorry to hear things are so rough at work. Tension in one area of our lives can so often seep into other areas when we don’t want it to. I hope that whatever is setting things on edge at work gets resolved soon.

Kayley – Does your psych teacher curve? If everyone did poorly, then maybe it will still be OK. It is a shame to drop if you don’t have to.

Amy – Glad to hear that tree was a near miss – that must have been very scary! We get these giant icicles that hang off the front of the house and they scare me too. I hope that one never falls when I am right there – those could really hurt. Are you on a Stephen King marathon? I remember reading both the Stand and It, but that was so many years ago I can’t remember. The one thing I do remember about It was the clown, and I really hate clowns.

Amber – I know what you mean about not liking cold weather. I lived in Atlanta for 7 years and I can’t wait to get back to a warm climate. One of my possible cities is Austin. Where in Texas do you live? Oh, and I LOVE anything with spinach in it.

Garnet – Can’t help on the apple thing, sorry. But I do love apples. (spinach, apples, what food don’t I love . . . ok – liver!)

Valerie – 90 minutes? That is awesome! Oh, and I loved your description of your puppy a couple of posts back. Yes – I’ll borrow him for awhile. He just sounds too darn cute!

Lillion and Drummergirl – The SCA sounds so cool. Do they do sword fighting? I would love to do that. I am hoping that with the C (creative) they don’t hold people to the strict rules of gender roles that were around during those times.

LAnne – Glad to hear your medical stuff is proceeding. It sounds like you are having to spend an awful lot of time in the doctor’s office. Way to go on the 5 pounds without even trying.

Melanie – 6 flight of stairs – that is amazing!!! I can still barely get up one, but that is improving every day.

Regarding Tashabella, does anyone have her home email to contact? It would be great to try and contact her in case she hasn’t been back to read the responses. I was thinking that maybe we should have some sort of buddy system or something where two or three people share their email addresses and then if we don’t hear from someone in awhile there is someone who can check in. I am always so glad to hear when Sharon lets us know how Ammi is doing, because I certainly miss her when she isn’t around and wonder if she is doing OK. I also realized that no one here would know how to contact me if I dropped off the map.

I am starting to have a problem at the gym and I am not sure what to do about it. The new gym boys have started vacuuming the gym during normal business hours. Last week I complained to one of the people that run it and she told me they would stop. Well tonight at 7:05 they started vacuuming (they close at 8pm). I had about 10 minutes left in my workout and didn’t want to stop, but it was bothering me so much. In fact it is bothering me WAY too much. I felt like either decking someone or bursting into tears. Why am I getting so emotional about this? Why does it get to me like that? It feels so irrational – I wonder if it is some part of my subconscious mind trying to weasel out of going to the gym. Did I mention I over think everything? I am going to write another email and ask her to give me a firm cut off time of when they will start and I will make sure to be done before then.

I have been writing this for so long now, that there have been like 10 posts since I started. I have to move quicker! At least I realized Kayley had closed the last thread before I posted.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Wow! that last thread closed as I was reading it!

Zelma -- I'm glad my words helped! Isn't it amazing how sometimes just a few words do make a difference? Which gets to your other point... that sometimes people don't comment back. I know I feel like that happens to me a lot, but then I see that it happens to a lot of us -- this board moves too fast! I usually only have time to respond to one or two people, and usually it's someone whose situation (positive or negative) seems more extreme or is more recent...

Anyway, I think you can see how inspirational... pivotal??... you are to this group!!!!

Kayley -- Sorry about the psych exam. Again, being a psychologist myself I'm sad that another psych teacher doesn't go out of his or her way to make this material just come to life!! I mean, it is relevant to EVERYTHING!

I actually find myself thinking about psychology and research frequently when I read posts on 3fc, and while I don't comment on those issues, I think about them just about every day! A lot of what I try to teach is how to critically evaluate information -- especially info about what causes what -- and these boards are full of such claims, e.g., doing such and such caused my plateau to end. Anyway, I've moved well away from my initial point, which is that it's such a shame that you haven't been SUCKED INTO psychology!! You could learn so much really cool and useful info!
Old 03-21-2006, 11:25 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by notthecheat
I have been writing this for so long now, that there have been like 10 posts since I started. I have to move quicker! At least I realized Kayley had closed the last thread before I posted.
heh. I know what you mean -- yours came in ahead of mine. I think I type too slowly!
Old 03-21-2006, 11:30 PM   #5  

Sorry for the repetition... but the thread closed just after I posted, and I really wanted to have my say--- so I'm reposted just the last part of my last post:

Zelma.... ok, our friend from down under... I know it's been said.. BUT ... my 2 cents:
I can relate... sometimes I get so disappointed when I don't get many individual responses. BUT... then I analyze my own behaviors:
sometimes I feel like when I do personal responses, I'm repeating too much what others said. Other times, I miss getting here, so there's just so much. But, many times... I feel like there are SO many personals that it's hard to read without feeling like you're reading someone elses mail...so then it seems like too many personals --- ha... vicious circle, eh?

BUT... I have to tell you.... I remember when I was totally new here just reading and before I had the guts to post. YOU, friend, seemed to me to be one of the ones everyone else looked to for inspiration and for proof that it CAN be done. So individual messages or not, I hope that you've at least had a reminder that you ARE a valued part of this little family here.

I'm glad you didn't delete that --- because I think we've all learned that it should be safe to speak your feelings here. I'm not sure Tasha believes that, because a couple of times now, she's read negativity into things and left here with hurt feelings. But I hope she'll realize that others here support her, too and come back.
Thanks for taking the risk to share your thoughts.

Kayley: I do travel a bit for work, but also belong to a couple of professional associations and travel to different conferences becasue of that -- to try to stay current, learn new things, connect with others etc. In answer to your question--I'm an administrator at a university. (and a former psych major in college heh heh... )
M
Old 03-21-2006, 11:40 PM   #6  

yay, another psych major!!
Old 03-21-2006, 11:45 PM   #7  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

OK - so let me tell you about my childhood. . .

Actually it is so true - psychology can be totally useful in understanding why we do what we do. I remember getting sucked in when I took it in college. The problem was I started doing WAY too much self diagnosis – again with the over thinking.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Honestly, this class wouldn't have been SO bad, if she would have broken down the chapters, and gave us tests after each one, or even after every 2 chapters, instead of giving us 9 chapters to cram, with over 300 vocabulary words! She was saying she won't grade on a curve, and she's really making me HATE college. It's so frustrating, considering this is supposed to be an intro course, and she's treating us like we are 4th year psych majors or something!

Well, it's midnight, so I guess it's off to bed with me!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #9  
Amber

S/C/G: 293/277/140

Kayley--I was a Psych minor in college, I LOVED it!!!! I took every Psych class they offered...but that was ages ago lol...For one of my classes our whole semester grade was to write our life story from birth to the present and use Erikson's developmental theories to assess (and diagnosis if need be) ourselves. It was draining and challenging, but I loved it.

Zelma--I think you belong here, and I certainly hope you will stay. You have been, and continue to be an inspiration for me and others... I can relate to feeling hurt when someone doesn't reply to something you have said even though it may not have needed a reply. (I thought it was just me being overly sensitive as I sometimes tend to be. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in that respect.) *Hugs* And I hope you get out of the "funk" feeling about school, (along with everyone else). I'll trade you kids LOL I spend 24/7 wiping noses and butts LOL. No, I think I will have to keep mine, I only have 11 thankfully.

Amy--Well, the plan I'm following is closer to SB than anything else lol. I am trying to go low-carb, low-fat and high protein...which is almost impossible LOL. Not really, but I have to read labels like a mad woman. And YIKES 14 inches!!!!!!! I have never in MY LIFE seen that much snow at one time LOL Thankfully!!!!!

Nancy--Oh I love Austin...to visit, I don't think I could live there...I'm just a country girl who visits the big city. I live outside of Abilene TX, closer to Dallas than Austin. Abilene is where I work, and it's a decent sized city, but not in the league with Austin or Dallas.

Ammi--I am having a problem with yahoo messenger, I may have to have you add a different name for me there, I am hoping the servers are just messed up tonight because I do not want to lose six years worth of contacts on that messenger, plus my webpage and my email....oooh I don't even want to think about it.... And I'm sorry to post this here, but I have no clue how to send a PM here. Hugs I miss you. I hope everything is going okay...
______
Well, today was a day...not really good, not bad....just a plain jane day.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:14 AM   #10  
Working it out...

Height: 5"8

Ok, since I'm pretty new here, I have a "stupid" question. How come people keep closing old threads and opening new ones? Why not have on long continuous tread?

Not that I care either way, but I am hella curious! <grin>
Old 03-22-2006, 12:52 AM   #11  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default F.Y.I. - Questions addressed.

It's really a shame that there are so many hurt feelings lately. Just realize, everyone that sometimes there are time constraints on people's lives that don't allow them to post as much as they'd like to. I know how you feel as I think we have all felt left out from time to time. It just happens.

The other thing that's a shame is how the typewritten word is often misconstued. There is no way to see someone's facial features or hear the inflection of the voice when all you're doing is reading type.

There hasn't been any REAL drama on these threads in a very long time. Please realize that everyone who is here is concerned for you and wants you to succeed on this journey. BTW, Tasha was logged into the site on the 20th, so I'm sure she has read all of the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honiangel
I have no clue how to send a PM here.
Honi: To PM someone, just click on that person's name up in the left hand corner of their post square above their avatar. When you click there, you will get several selections. One will be "send a PM to...." Click on that and you'll get a PM message box. Fill it in and submit just like you do a post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGirlsLosing
How come people keep closing old threads and opening new ones? Why not have on long continuous tread?
ThisGirl: Sorry, I was sure I sent you my little welcome note with this information, but I cleaned out my PM folder the other day so I couldn't double check. Anyway, here is the answer to your question: "We usually try to make a new thread every 30 posts or so. It helps us keep track of just how long we've been around (792 threads x 30 posts = 23730 times we've talked to each other)." The other reason is that 30 posts or so is what fits on one page and therefore your pages load faster. The only reason the threads seem to go so much faster these days is that people have taken to replying to each person in an individual post rather than replying to everyone they want to in one post.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:56 AM   #12  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

For those who are on dial-up, it takes forever to load the long threads. At 3 pages, generally it's not so bad. Plus, I think it keeps shaking things up a bit.

As far as individual responses go.. here's my problem. I LOVE reading what everyone has to say. I love the comraderie that goes on here. I love the support, information, and the care that each of you shows for everyone else. But, the problem is, I can't keep up with all the threads all the time. I think of something to say and by the time I get ready to say it, everyone is on to a different subject and so I feel like an arse if I break up the new topic and post about something that happened 4 threads ago.

I suck at the individual posts because I always feel as though I'm leaving people out and not intending to. I try to post when something really begs to be responded to, because if I responded to each thing I wanted to comment on, I'd be here all day responding. That's not to say I don't value what each of you says. That just means I'm just not able to keep up and so I try to hit on the things that I just HAVE to respond to. I will try to do better in the future.

Zelma, you are an inspiration to everyone. Please do not leave. This actually can be applied to Tasha as well. Both of you have inspired someone or given someone something to think about. Both of you are valued members of this group and it would sadden me and many others if we didn't 'hear' from you.

I truly don't have any more time to respond so my apologies for that. I need to head to bed or else I will be a zombie at work tomorrow. Working 4-5 12 hour shifts a week happens to be kicking my butt.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:04 AM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

wow its getting interesting in here...

Zelma - please dont be discouraged. i know im guilty of knowing people have written specifically to me, and not answered them directly. many times its just because im too tired to sit and type. just because you arent 300 lbs anymore doesnt mean that your comments dont hold any weight (ha ha). you are a total inspiration that this CAN happen for people. and its not too late. there are sometimes when im feeling bad that i look at your pics and remind myself that it is possible. im sorry if you are hurt. *hugs*

tasha - please come back. i think some things were misconstrued. this is the time that you need to be here the most. we miss you!!

ammi - we havent talked in forever. how are you? please message me soon!!

everyone else - tomorrow... LASHES!!! we learn how to apply false eyelashes. SO fun!!
Old 03-22-2006, 06:13 AM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Man, there were like 20 posts just since I logged on late yesterday afternoon (and it's only 6:10am now!). These threads, they are a-cruisin'! but that's a good thing

Regarding individual responses--I don't often do them, and here's why. SO many people here DO do them that by the time I pop my head in, I don't have anything new to add. You can only repeat the same information so many times, and I like for my responses to be more than just repeating what others have said. I do, however, write individual responses when I really do have something new to add or when no one else has responded to a comment yet that I feel I can be helpful with. I usually try to keep my posts kinda short because I know these threads get really long, and it can be difficult to keep up! I know I, for one, have missed multiple threads at a time, not on purpose, but because we fly through them so quickly!

I actually left a forum once because one girl got so offended that I did not write individual replies to her. It's one thing to bring it up publicly here (like you did, Zelma), but she was going behind my back and sending PMs to others in the group complaining about me without ever actually bringing it up directly to me! That was just more immaturity than I could handle, so I left, and I'm really glad that we are all smart enough to discuss such things openly here
Old 03-22-2006, 07:57 AM   #15  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Well everyone, I don't know what to say now. You have all been so wonderful and understanding. I kinda feel silly for even thinking that I didn't belong or that I was being purposefully missed out. You know... I don't think I actually 'believed' that, but I couldn't get it out of my mind. It is just SO weird that I am feeling this way. If it was PMS, AND a full moon, AND the wind was howling, AND... well, I think you get the idea... I would perfectly understand why I am feeling so odd. I am really not used to have any kind of cycle at all, so I am wondering whether my body is adjusting and just dishing out the hormones whenever it feels like it, just to get back at me for all of those missed years. I may go for some tests some day to check it all out if this doesn't settle on its own.

I have to simply say "thank you" to you all. To let you know how much you touched me, I snuck on here while the kids were doing silent reading today and I had to get off again because I was getting teary. The same thing happened this evening. Well, I haven't hopped off, but you certainly touched something in my heart. You all seem to know just the right thing to say, just when I need it most. Thank you sincerely.

I happened to also have a 'thought' about why I may be tired, but I may be barking up the wrong tree with this one. I'm not sure what the 'normal' heart rate is, but my resting heart rate is in the low 40s. When I was at my biggest it was sitting at around 60, and they say that it slows down as you get fitter, but 42/43 seems a little too low to me. I am wondering whether I am not getting enough blood/oxygen pumping around my body. As I said, I have NO idea what I am talking about, but I may mention that to the doctor next time I visit too, just out of curiosity.

Well, I'm off to potter around and get ready for tomorrow before bed.

Take care of yourselves and know that someone across the world sincerely appreciates each and every one of you.

Zelma
Closed Thread