Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 04:56 PM   #1  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Smile Weight Training advice for Newbies

I am picking up my cardio routine again by doing 50 minutes of walking each day and now that I have just bought a new home gym: "Cross Bow" (it's like Bow Flex), I don't really know haw many "reps" to do of any one excercise.

It comes with a How To video but in the video, it only shows how to do the excercises, not how many.

So here's my question:

I have 50 pounds of FAT to lose to get to my goal weight....

1. What excercise should I start with first, how many of each excercise, and how often in a week should I weight train?

2. I DO NOT want to build large muscle, I just want to look toned.

ANY advice at this point would be great!!!

Sandy
Old 09-13-2003, 05:31 PM   #2  

Sandy,
I'm not familiar with the Crossbow, and what exercises one can do with it, but I would choose 2 exercises per muscle group. I don't know how similar it is to the Bowflex, but the bowflex website (bowflex.com) has information on weorkout routines, etc. If you're working your muscles hard enough, you'll probably only want to work each muscle group once per week, in my opinion. I currently use the following split:

Mon: Bi's/Tri's/Shoulders
Wed: Lower Body (quads hamstrings, calves)
Sat: Back/Chest

Starting out, I'd stick with the BFL pyramid method outlined in the book, but there are numerous ways to go, and I'm not sure that any are any better than the other ways. I take two or three exercises and do 2-3 sets of each, for 12 reps.

As far as your concern of "big muscles," don't worry about that. You need the muscles to help you burn the fat, and trust me, you'll want them underneath there once the fat is gone.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:56 PM   #3  
MrsSandysHouse.com

Quote:

Mon: Bi's/Tri's/Shoulders
Wed: Lower Body (quads hamstrings, calves)
Sat: Back/Chest

Starting out, I'd stick with the BFL pyramid method outlined in the book, but there are numerous ways to go, and I'm not sure that any are any better than the other ways. I take two or three exercises and do 2-3 sets of each, for 12 reps.

[/B]
Colleen...What are "sets" and "reps"?

Sandy
Old 09-13-2003, 05:59 PM   #4  

Hi Sandy,
Do you have the BFL book? I do 2 or 3 "sets" of 12 reps. So basically, I lift the weight 12 times, stop and rest for a minute or so, then do another "set" of 12 repetitions. Does that make sense?
Old 09-13-2003, 06:43 PM   #5  
MrsSandysHouse.com

Smile Gottcha!

Collen...I understand now. thanks
Old 09-14-2003, 07:01 AM   #6  
Om shanti

What's really funny is how some exercise tapes just don't have the lingo down. Even The FIRM, which I love, call "reps" "sets". (What's really confusing is that they also call "sets" "sets"... so you end up doing 12 sets in a set. Blah.)
Old 09-14-2003, 11:14 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Wow Brian, I was just over at your web site and what a transformation you and your wife have done... You both look wonderful and healthy and 20 years younger....
I practice yoga too, when I saw you signature Om Shanti I knew gright away you were a Yogi...
Old 09-14-2003, 11:23 AM   #8  
MrsSandysHouse.com

Default Good Morning!

Hi Ilene~

I just got back from looking at your pics you posted. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I hope I am half as beautiful as you when I reach your (young) age.

How do you do it? Your skin is so clean and pretty.

You're right about the upper arms...mine are terrible!!!!

I just did a good work out on the new crossbow.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:36 PM   #9  
NASCAR Chick

S/C/G: 181/177.6/???/124

Height: 5'4"

Default Sandy ...

It appears that our goals are the same! I purchased a crossbow about 8 months ago - I used it faithfully for 6-weeks doing the BFL program as it was written. I did not see any results (visually or scale), so I got discouraged and quit my program. I am now putting together my own program, so that I can tone my body while I am losing weight.

Suzanne
~ 40 to lose
Closed Thread