General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 08:06 AM   #1  

Default Body for Life #32

A new thread! We're quite a prolific bunch!!!
Keep it up!!!
Old 01-17-2002, 09:17 AM   #2  
GARDENING ADDICT

Good Morning Everybody
I just got a chance to read the last thread (got busy and got behind) and it looks like you all are doing great.

Susan~How's the challenge going? How was the first week back on BFL? Are ya sore yet?

Hendricks~I think that I'll try adding the splenda to my water at times. I always add lemon wedges. Usually I will slice up a lemon and then cut each slice into 4 wedges, put them in a container in the fridge (or freeze them) and then squeeze a piece into my bottle of water and drop the slice in. Anything to get all the water down, right?

My hubby just bought me an early anniversary/Valentines day present. An exercise rack to add to our home gym downstairs . We still have our old bench but the new one will be mine so I don't have to move his bench press bar when I want to use it

Also, now I can do cable pushdowns, lat pulldowns, leg curls/extensions, etc. When I'm at home he can spot me on the bench press . We have a huge array of dumbbells and bars, but this comes with olympic weights, curl bar, squat bar,etc.

The next thing to get will either be a leg press or Smith Machine.
Eventually I want to have a complete gym at home. Alittle bit at a time and it will get done.

Have a great day,all.
~~~Sil
Old 01-17-2002, 10:41 AM   #3  
One day at a time

Default starting bfl on monday

i'm starting bfl AGAIN on monday i've tried it before and had great results but always seem to lose motivation to complete 12 weeks. i know this time will be different.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:09 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default New thread already? YOWSA!

We're averaging like, a new thread every week! Woo hoo!

Is that my fault for being so verbose?? Let me know if you want me to keep it short 'n' sweet in my posts and I'll try but it's hard to keep a big mouth like me quiet.

Sheila - WELCOME to our thread!!! Motivation is the name of the game here...also most (or all) of us hang out at www.leanandstrong.com as well. Between BFL/3FC and L&S, you have the ULTIMATE in support, motivation, and education!

I'd also advise you to read the book once again over the weekend - especially the chapter on "Crossing the Abyss" VERY IMPORTANT...also go through our past threads (pretty easy to do - go to the "Diet Plans" main forum here, and select all threads from the past year and feel free to browse) for lots of great info. I posted an interesting article from Dr. Hussman on the previous thread about how fat comes off your body...most people (including me!) tend to look at the 'fattest' body parts for progress (on me, that's the tummy pooch/thigh/hip area) when they should be looking at the leanest areas on the body (shoulders, chest, joints) for the fastest progress.

Well, you guys, I still have 4 days left in my Free Week and I am already ready to go back in the gym...I'm still trying to work out a program though. The guy who runs www.thetrainerszone.com sent me a demo disc but I can't load it for some reason - and the website is kind of messed up - the question is there but the answer isn't...so I'll have to get around to sending him an email. Looks like an awesome program if I can get the darn thing to work - I'll probably have to empty out my C drive a bit. Jim has about a kajillion digital pix stored - I'll have to get some CDs I guess...

Of course, it HAS been nice to sleep in every day! Especially since it has been so chilly lately. Kitty has been snuggling under the quilt between us every night this week (usually he sleeps at our feet). Oh well, back to work...more later...
Old 01-17-2002, 12:16 PM   #5  

Welcome Sheila!! Hang with us and you'll get through 12 weeks.

I fell on Tuesday morning (I have these new Sauconys. I usually love Sauconys because I am prone to shin splints and have flat wide feet and they work so well but these new ones have the worst laces. They come undone ALL THE TIME.) On Tuesday I was trying some 40 second sprints with 40 seconds of walking and the lace came undone and I fell down. yow.

My knee is still sore.

I did upper body yesterday and this morning I walked trying to walk out the knee. No sprinting for a while.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:52 PM   #6  
Mel

Default Thursday

Week 2, going strong. I did a tougher UBWO yesterday despite finding new aches from skiing, and felt great afterward, but very sore today. Pushed tru today's cardio, but I'm dreading tomorrow's LBWO- still aching calf muscles and quads slightly sore from skiing. Oh well, comes with the territory.

mel
Old 01-17-2002, 06:03 PM   #7  

Hey y'all. I'm new here and wanted to ask you guys a few questions. I have been thinking about buying the Body for Life Book and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the gist of the plan was before I spend the money. It's not a high-protien pushing plan is it? THat's the only part I'm concerned with. I've also read online that a product called "Myoplex" is pushed heavily. Any thoughts or comments on this product?
I've tried Atkins, McDougal, pills, all of them.
I'm just fed up with quick fixes and am willing to work this fat off with good old hard work. Someone recommended this program because it goes in depth on exercise as well as food and I wanted a little info before I pick the book up.
Thanks in advance and hopefully I will soon be in here posting my losses.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:26 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Welcome!

Nice to see you here!

Have you checked your local library to see if they have the book? (It's been a bestseller for quite awhile now...). I checked the book out at the library first before buying it at Barnes & Noble for around $15.

You REALLY need to read the book to get the full flavor of how this program works. And believe me it DOES work (and I've tried everything). I know I have finally found something that I can do FOR LIFE, not just for 12 weeks!

Myoplex is mentioned in the book...of course since Bill Phillips is the developer of the product and founder of EAS (he's since sold the company). I don't think it's pushed all that much in the book - maybe 1 1/2 pages. Meal replacement shakes (MRPs) are just a convenience - if you want to do all six meals with real food, no problem - many people at www.leanandstrong.com do that. I myself use Myoplex Lite simply because I really love it (esp the Cappuchino Ice flavor!) Most women looking to lose bodyfat should use the "Lite" version instead of the regular Myoplex.

A guy on L&S named George said this awhile back and it's worth repeating:
Quote:
Nobody was a bigger skeptic than I. The first time I logged onto the BFL site and saw the transformations, I said out loud, "There's no way those people did that in 12 weeks!"

What you come to realize is that those are the champions out of thousands of entries. After 8 months, I still don't look like a transformation champion, but I have transformed myself for the better, and I continue to push forward, and that's what the program's really about.

There's no denying that the book serves as an incredible marketing vehicle for EAS. But there's also no denying that it's still a very good book. Don't make the mistake of confusing all the sales bull with the validity of the program.

By the way, I don't use any EAS products as a rule, but the ones I've tried (primarily the Myoplex shakes and various bars) I thought were pretty good. In fact, I think there are a lot of good products on the market by various companies.

Is this the right program for you? I'm convinced anyone--anyone--could get great results with it.
Nuff said...read the book...and decide for yourself. Meanwhile feel free to drop in anytime - here or at L&S
Old 01-17-2002, 10:57 PM   #9  

Hi all, Im starting the BFL program, wish me luck, trust me I will be here for support!! I will post my stats tomorrow, Im taking them then.

http://worldcrossing.com/WebX?1@@.eeffe3b
Old 01-17-2002, 11:36 PM   #10  

You really need to buy the book to understand but I have a synopsis of the plan on my website. If you want to look at it (link is at the end of my posts).

BFL is too much work to be a FAD!!! You work hard 6 days a week (3 days cardio, 3 days weight training but each session is less than an hour) and eat 6 meals a day of good proteins and good (low glycemic) carbs in very easy to remember portions (fist/palm) and your body is transformed.

On the 7th day, you rest (NO exercise) and eat what you want.

It's almost that simple. Not quite, but almost.

Myoplex helps with the six meal requirement but is not required and any good meal replacement drink will do (NOT SLIMFAST or anything high in sugar).

Myoplex is not required for Body for Life, you CAN do it without MRPs but most of us find that difficult. I'm actually doing it right now since I don't have any right now. It's not that tough but it is easier with MRPs.

Susan
Old 01-18-2002, 09:05 AM   #11  
GARDENING ADDICT

Happy Friday

It's great to see more new people here. Welcome Parakeet ,Sheila and Spin!!!

Spin~~~I hope that you do decide to give BFL a try. You will be a healthier person and feel great.

Parakeet & Sheila~~~Good luck on starting the program. You will find lots of support and friendship here and at www.leanandstrong.com (L&S).

As far as the Myoplex issue goes, I love their products but as MrsJim said, you don't have to use them. They are a convience though. I still have an occassional bar or shake (I prefer the shakes in the Summer )

I make homemade protein cookies that taste great and use real food. They have oatmeal, ff cottage cheese, eggbeaters, soy protein powder,cinnamom,splenda and vanilla. This week I added some diced apple to the mix and it was great. I'll post the recipe in the recipe section if anyone is interested. They are filling and nutritious.

Susanj~~~I hope that your knee feels better soon.

MrsJ~~~Enjoy that free week while you can, girl. If I know you, you will be kicking some a*s in the gym next week.
WOW! Down to a size 4 and 16% BF. Thats great.

Mel~~~Keep up those workouts. You're doing great!

This is W3D1 for me.
Everybody have a great day and don't forget to drink your water.
~~~Sil

Last edited by 2BFIT1; 01-18-2002 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:52 AM   #12  

Sil,

Can you send me the recipe in email?

Thanks
Susan
Old 01-18-2002, 12:39 PM   #13  

Default yes, please post that recipe....

it sounds like a nice alternative to packaged products, and no questions about the contents!

Susanje where will you be next summer? I'm sure it will be the other end of the state but Connecticut is a very small state! Also, I'm still interested in those MRPs.

Welcome to all the new kids.

C1,W6,D6
Old 01-18-2002, 12:47 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Good morning!

Whew! Friday of Free Week!

Can't wait to get back into the gym on Monday. Although Kitty has really been enjoying snuggling between Jim and I until 5:15 every morning (it has been SO COLD here - 31 degrees last night which is FREEZING for the Bay Area) I am really missing the gym. Jim has been tucking Kitty into his afghan every night - he rolls him up like a little burrito and he just purrs and goes to sleep, all snuggled up between us nice and warm!

I've been looking for a personal trainer and I have an appointment for a consultation with one this afternoon. I don't want to work out with her every day - can't afford it - Pam told me she worked with a PT once a week. I have no idea how much this person charges BUT she's ACE certified and within walking distance of my house, so I'll let you know the outcome! If she starts dissing BFL (from what I've read on L&S, a lot of trainers do) I'm outta there big time.

Didja all notice that i changed my avatar to the new Size 4 pic? Get out your microscopes!

This next challenge for me (C4!!!!) is actually going to be a 15 week challenge since the contest I'm shooting for is on 4 May. It wouldn't make much sense to take a free week so close to the contest, ya think? I'll schedule my next FW for the week after the contest...

Sil, DEFINITELY post the recipe in the cooking library if you haven't already! Sounds yummy! Something else I gotta try is Steve L's apples and cottage cheese concoction. He heats up apple chunks with a bit of cinnamon and Spenda in the microwave and pours the mixture over cottage cheese. Sounds sooooo good!

Welcome to all the newbies - and keep training hard and eating clean!! Later gals!
Old 01-18-2002, 01:30 PM   #15  

Default cottage cheese and apple...

mix the cottage cheese with vanilla extract and splenda. I use Watkins Vanilla Nut but regular is fine. Then mix in a chopped apple and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Fix the cottage cheese the same way and spoon over a baked apple, skin and all.

Apples are one of the few fruits that are reliably good in New England in the winter. I buy them from my food co-op.
Closed Thread