Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Default Why we are doing what we are...our health.

'http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease'

This is a great article and I think it speaks to what Dr. Tran is trying to do in eliminating the high-glycemic foods that cause low-level inflammation. I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, and I used to get flareups that would last a couple days and were so painful I had to lay in bed. This happened about twice a month. Now, after losing all the weight, I realized I may get flareups but every couple of months! Amazing...
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Thanks!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/218/150

Height: 5'8"

Excellent! Thank you for sharing!!
mtnsun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #4  
IP/Atkins Hybrid

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

That was a great article....thanks for sharing. I also have fibro, and know that inflammation can be a killer.

Dr. Nicholas Perricone originally identified inflammation as a major cause of a variety of illnesses many years ago, and he was met with extreme criticism. It is nice to see that other doctors are finally admitting that inflammation IS an issue, and that our diet is a major driver in creating inflammation.

The article echoed much of what Dr. Hyman's new book "The Blood Sugar Solution" is recommending...no processed foods, no artificial sweeteners of any kind (they slow metabolism and mess up blood sugar, causing weight gain), etc. in order to limit inflammation and stop diabesity.

Now we just have to follow the recommendations. I was rereading Dr. Hyman's book last night, and made a pledge to myself to implement as much of that as I can today....even though I am on IP. I am going to be looking through the various food choices and doing my best to eliminate ones with aspartame, sugar alcohols, etc. I may have to make some exceptions, but it also increases my resolve to phase off to another low-carb plan as soon as I can where I can only eat whole foods.

In the meantime, I already take supplements that help to limit inflammation like maritime pine bark, chia seed, etc. I am going to request that they do a c-reactive protein test during my next physical and blood draw so that I can see how much inflammation is in my body...scary!
bethanym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: High-258/224.5/135

Height: 5' 4"

Great article. I sent the link to my coach and my dad!
JoesHotWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 172/126/135

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for sharing, the article was very informative, I too forwarded it!
JoyfulNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
'http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease'

This is a great article and I think it speaks to what Dr. Tran is trying to do in eliminating the high-glycemic foods that cause low-level inflammation. I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, and I used to get flareups that would last a couple days and were so painful I had to lay in bed. This happened about twice a month. Now, after losing all the weight, I realized I may get flareups but every couple of months! Amazing...
I enjoyed the article but wanted to point out that the doc's credibility (he lost his license in 2008) may not be helpful in promoting the message.
shiipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiipa View Post
I enjoyed the article but wanted to point out that the doc's credibility (he lost his license in 2008) may not be helpful in promoting the message.
Didn't know that. Don't know the details so I won't speculate, but the fact that he is certainly not alone in this idea convinces me.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanym View Post
The article echoed much of what Dr. Hyman's new book "The Blood Sugar Solution" is recommending...no processed foods, no artificial sweeteners of any kind (they slow metabolism and mess up blood sugar, causing weight gain), etc. in order to limit inflammation and stop diabesity.
Does he say anything about Stevia? I am trying to eliminate all the others, but have read that Stevia may actually help to regulate blood sugar levels. Don't think there is as much data on it as the others, though...too new.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/187/140

Height: 5'4"

Great read! Thanks for sharing.
cmk33 is offline   Reply With Quote