Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 135/127/110

Height: 5' 1''

Default Increased appetite when sick?

I've come down with a nasty head cold and all I want to do is eat. Not so much junk food - eating anything healthy sounds good - but I've already met my caloric needs for the day but don't feel as full as I usually do. After a month and a half of changing my eating habits and not letting myself binge, I know when I feel like binging and when my body is legitimately telling me I need to eat, but right now I'm confused as to what to do.

Should I eat a bit more or try to control myself?
rrjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Hard to say, maybe take a 100 cals at a time. Start with 100 cals of raw veggies, you'll know you're truly hungry if even raw veggies sounds appetizing. If only junk will do, then it's probably not true hunger. And if all else fails - feed a cold, starve a fever is that the old saying?
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 135/127/110

Height: 5' 1''

thanks guys! i listened to my body and ate an extra veggies and hummus sandwich. definitely used being sick as an excuse to indulge myself at work (i work as a barista in a coffee shop/ice cream place) haha but i havent treated myself in a while so i'm not going to let myself feel too bad about it.
rrjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #4  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I don't think there's anything wrong with eating a little extra healthy, well-chosen food when your body is stressed and feeling genuine hunger.

The possible benefit is that you'll feel better, heal a little quicker. And the very worst potential downside is just that you eat a few hundred calories over your target for a day or two - that's all. At the very worst, that will slow down your weight loss by less than you can measure anyhow.

I understand the hesitancy to go over one's calorie limit to indulge in treats that can set off binges or cravings, but a couple hundred calories of extra healthy food now and again is nothing to be afraid of when your body seems to need it.

Feel better soon.

Last edited by carter; 09-21-2010 at 10:16 AM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote