Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/186/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Boot Camp failure

So, about a month ago the local university had a fitness bootcamp that one of my friends and I signed up for.

I was SOOO excited going into it, understanding it was circuit training and was mean to be difficult.

Needless to say, I only made it to three classes

It was ran by college students and most of the participants were already in shape. I was the definite outcast. I tried so hard, but I was just slower than everyone else. Every time I would mess up or have to take a break the instructor would make everyone else do extra for my failures. It was HUMILIATING! I left one day in tears and never went back.

A few days ago I signed up for my local YMCA and I got a copy of their various spinning/step/aerobics classes but I am almost afraid to join another class for fear of being the outcast again.

What do you guys recommend for beginners? I am SO determined to be healthy and get this wait off!
Brittany1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

That sucks that they made you feel like that. I take some boot camp type classes and they emphasis for everyone to listen to your own body. I take my classes at the gym where you can choose you weights (I usually do 5-7 pounds) and give alternatives to certain exercises (like dips off the chair - not a fan of those). I would pick a circuit class at the Y...maybe 20/20/20 if they have it - 20 min cardio, 20 min strength, 20 minute abs/kickboxing. Even if you take a Spin Class - remember you are not competing with anyone. I take one every often and rarely get out of the saddle.

Good luck - don't let those crazy college kids keep you down!
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I have been enjoying Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #4  
Loving Life!

S/C/G: 230/220/120

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany1988 View Post
Every time I would mess up or have to take a break the instructor would make everyone else do extra for my failures. It was HUMILIATING!
That is just awful! I'm really sorry that happened I would have left, too, and I would have let whoever was in charge know exactly why. Ugh.

I would look around for a good gym. Go to a few different ones and ask for a tour. Make sure the tour takes place during business hours, and pay attention to what type of other people are there working out. One of the biggest reasons I chose my gym is because it's women-only, and when I toured the facility I saw women of all ages, shapes, sizes and fitness levels working out. It took me a couple of weeks to get over the feeling that everyone must be watching my fat jiggle, but now I'm really comfortable there. The class instructors are really great, too, always giving the lower options for anyone just starting out, and no one cares if you have to take a break.
MakingSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #5  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

OOOh what university? I am moving to Tennessee in august for school and I am super excited!!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #6  

I'm really sorry that happened to you. I agree with the above poster that you should notify the program what happened and why you quit, so hopefully that won't happened to anyone else in the future.

I'm starting a bootcamp program next Monday, and I have no idea what to expect, now I'm kinda nervous, as I don't want other people to focus on me and my out-of-shapeness, I want everyone to be doing their own thing at their own level.
Transformer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

The Y might be better for you. I was totally intimidated by gyms and fitness in general ever since phys ed in junior high school. But when my mom started going to "Silver Sneakers" at the new YMCA in our town I went to check it out, and it was MUCH BETTER. Especially compared to college gyms where I was always the much older, fatter or more uncoordinated one (and that was at a size 14).

The people at the Y are a wide range of ages and body types and everyone in general is much more mellow. There is a sense that no matter what shape you are in, if you are there, it's "Hey, that's cool!". And not in a patronizing way. And the staff are excited to help you and work with you. It might be different at some Ys (big city ones) where there's primarily a young crowd, so if that Y doesn't work do try another one, a suburban or small town one. Lots of Ys have programs where you can use your membership at different facilities, and unlike lots of gyms, you are not locked into memberships.

I miss my Y! Can you tell?

On your bootcamp experience: I am very sorry to hear about it, and I can sympathize. College students can be totally clueless; often they are not really as grown up as they seem. I should know, I teach them. And if they were athletes or kineseology students it quite likely has not really occurred to them that non-fit people are interested in becoming fit, and they will have to find a way to deal with that. Unfortunately, many of these will go on to become school gym teachers who will turn a WHOLE NEW GENERATION of kids away from exercise.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #8  

Transformer08- Basically "boot camp" just means circuit training. It's not as scary as it sounds. Had I been with nicer people, I would have LOVED it!

Bronzeager- Thanks for the advice! I actually went yesterday and got my card for the Y! It is literally two minutes from my apartment! Which means I HAVE to go. Everyone was SOOO nice. It's a smaller Y then the one from back home but as you said, that may not be such a bad thing. I am excited to get started there today!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #9  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I think you'll really enjoy the YMCA. I just joined in January and go to some of the classes and I LOVE it! Everyone is very supportive and encouraging. One class I take, there are a bunch of very fit people in it, and I am slower/uncoordinated/not as fit as the rest of them but I never feel like anyone is judging me or anything. People tend to come in all shapes and sizes at the Y and one thing that is always emphasized in all the classes I've taken (conditioning, spinning, etc.) is to just listen to your body and go at your own pace. Do what is right for your ability and you will be much happier, you know?

I was a little nervous to take classes at first, but everyone is so friendly and helpful. I think you'll love it!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

When they came up with the "boot camp" idea I thought it was the dumbest thing. I was in the military and went through boot camp and would never-ever pay someone to treat me like that to lose weight.
At least 25 years ago (omg-has it really been that long?) it was all based on humilitation with mean guys yelling at you that you were lazy, a disgrace to the uniform -yadda, yadda, yadda. Doing countless reps of horribly painful exercises.

yuck!
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I am glad you went to get your card! You have just motivated me to stop complaining about how it is yucky outside and get off my butt and go to my non-Y gym for today.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #12  

Good for you!!!

Tomorrow, my first cycling class at the Y!! YAY!