YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 05-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #1  

Default Oprah's Boot Camp/ Take 2 - Week 1

I am doing ok so far, just have to fit in the exercise. I am drinking a lot of water tho, cuz the carb cravings are driving me nuts. How are the rest of you doing?

Breakfast - turkey sausage, Egg, water and water

Lunch -Probably salad with some chicken on top, no dressing

Will check in later!
BohoGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218.8/198/135

Height: 5'4

Smile Week 1 Goals 5/16-5/23

I think that it is a great idea to have one week goals as the 12 week bootcamp goes along. Small goals are the key to losing weight. Even though I may not be able to start out working out 8 times per week, I am going to aim for a little less. Because it is extreamely difficult to totally stop habits that you have been accustomed to. So lets start out slow, OK girls

Week 1 Goals
1. drink 6 glasses of water
2. no eating after 8 pm
e.mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:12 PM   #3  

The hardest thing for me this week will be not eating the white stuff. I printed out the contract and signed it tonight, and I am going to the store in the morning to get some good bootcamp food.
txchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #4  

I would like to say welcome to all of those who have chose to join us. I thing it is really great that you all have decided to join. If you can check in often so that we may encourage each other. I know personally for myself that if I think that I have failed a task I won't come on here for a while, so that I don't have to admit being a failure. But it's OK and nobodies a failure here. We are here to see that each other receives the love and suuport that it takes to lose weight.

Today I did well so far (I still have the entire day ahead). I got up this morning and took my daughter to preschool. Then on the way home I stopped at Curves and signed up for a free two week membership. I was really nice. I think that after my membership is up I will join. I did a full workout routine and felt really good afterwards. Now im here cleaning the house and washing and folding laundry. More exercise. If im not too tired later I will take a 2 mile walk before picking my daughter up.

Well I will check back later...............
Old 05-18-2005, 01:27 PM   #5  

I too have to step up my water consumption and stay away from the white stuff!! Organized exercise is a little hard for me, but I will stay active cleaning and doing laundry. When DH comes home, we usually take a walk with children, so that helps. I find that if I eat a cup of vanilla yogurt (I know, not exactly bootcamp food, but I was not in the mood for another cucumber!) before the 8 pm deadline, that satisfies me and makes me feel full.

so my mini goals: drink at least 5 glasses of water and do oraganized exercise at least 3x week.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:18 PM   #6  

Thumbs up

Those are great goals Bohogoddess,
I think alot of times we fail at weightloss because we try to do too many things at once. And our bodies can't handle the shock and goes into panic mode. That's why I am sticking to the two that I have made and as the weeks go on I will add to them. I feel pretty good about my day so far, the nighttime eating is what kills me. I have associated watching tv with eating, so everytime I sit in front of the tv I feel the need to eat. So im am working on that. I have prepared some healthy foods just in case this occurs. I made a salad and also cut up some fruit. So wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 06:34 AM   #7  

Well, I met my goal of five glasses of water, actually had seven. Did about 20 min of gardening, yet did not fit in the exercise! I know gardening can be exercise, but I really wanted to get to my Tae Bo dvd. But what I did do is:
No bread
no eating after 8 pm
seven (12 oz) glasses of water

I did have some yogurt, which has carbs, but otherwise, I think I did ok!

I am also sleeping a little better.

Any one have some goal reaching to report?
Old 05-19-2005, 07:10 AM   #8  
fIREFLY

S/C/G: 179/172.5/165

Height: 5'7''

Hello everyone! This osounds like a good supportive site. I would like to know a little more about Oprahs Boot Camp. I have read your post and agree that small changes are much better than trying to do it all at once. I use to post on a site that had you pick one goal and work on it for 10 days. If you made it for the 10 days it became habit. I have to say some of my changes have stayed with me thank goodness. I have about 15lbs. to still lose. Lately, I have been exercising at least 4 times a week. But atter I get home from work and exercise is where I have trouble spots. So I need to work on them. I like your idea of no foods after 8 p.m. so I will make that one goal. I also will work on no white bread for 1 week. My start date will be today. Long term goal to lose 15lbs.. Please let me know how to get more Oprah Boot Camp info.
cacmsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:16 AM   #9  

Hi cacmsc and welcome. Miss McCoy started a thread about Oprah's boot camp and it can be found here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57970

Again, welcome!!
Old 05-19-2005, 07:22 AM   #10  

Default The White Stuff.....

Hey all,

I'm not doing the boot camp right now, but I started the thread last time. I wanted to offer some information that I found helpful. It pertains to "white stuff" I just wanted to let you know that, despite popular belief, dairy, like yogurt and skim milk are allowed in moderation. Yes, they are white, but what Oprah means by white is sugar, WHITE flour, WHITE rice and WHITE potatoes. She is reffering to to the VERY proccessed high carb, little or no fiber laden junk. Or things people binge on. You should choose yogurts without sugar. I don't think Oprah, a woman over 50, would suggest a diet that cut out the much needed dairy. She's not cutting CARBS per say just the refined and proccessed junk. If you took this "white stuff" litterally you'd think you couldn't have egg whites, cauliflower or artificial sweeteners. They are all ok. I think this is a common misperseption.

Here is some stuff I cut and pasted from her website and a link to some breakfast ideas from her boot camp staff.

The White Stuff

Back to Frequently Asked Questions

When you say you stay away from refined carbs and sugars, can you tell me specifically what you mean? Anything white?
— Linda Boyd, 39, Lockport, Illinois

I do often say "the white stuff," but what I mean is any carbohydrates that have been processed. Potato chips. Crackers. White bread. White pasta. White rice. Cookies. Cake.…

As far as dairy goes, make sure it is low-fat or non-fat. Only eat yogurt once a day, and watch out for cheese because it has a lot of fat. For example, Dana eats one low-fat string cheese or a slice of low-fat cheese every day with her afternoon snack.

http://www.oprah.com/presents/2005/b...reakfast.jhtml

Back to me this is NOT from the site....

I think ALOT of people have got the nature of this diet wrong. It's NOT so much low carb as it is LOW JUNK. She's not cutting out carb laden thing like fruit, just limiting it b/c it is something easy to binge on. After the first month you can add in whole grains. If you look at the USDA foord pyramid you should eat more veggies than fruit (just like boot camp), your grains should be in moderartion and they whould be whole grains (just like boot camp), you should eat several servings of veggies of varied colors (yep just like boot camp), and you should eat a couple servings of lean protien (you guessed it...boot camp). You are suppsoed to limit sugar and fat in both cases. The only difference I see is that Oprah does not come right out and say DRINK MILK. But her staffers and she did eat cheeses and yogurt.

In my opinion, I think that you should strive for the 24 ounces of lowfat dairy recommended by the USDA. It's been proven to help weight loss, it's reletivley low fat and very filling. WHat I do is pour out 3 cups of milk into a seperate container each day and make sure I use it in my decaf. coffee on my oatmeal or drink it. I'd eat yogurt too, but aspertame gives me headaches. So if you choose to eat yogurt just subtract it from your milk.

I hope this clarifies some stuff. And I hope you don't mind me butting in

~misty
MistySeptember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:42 AM   #11  

Thanks Misty for the info and link!! I prefer yogurt to milk any day of the week, but I can't stand the no sugar so my little "cheat" is to eat regular vanilla yogurt. But, as you said, I'm cutting out all the junk - no sweet sodas, no cake, no potatoes no bread and no pasta, rice, etc. It's killing me because I love bread, but after the first few days, I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #12  

Misty, have you tried the Stoneyfield Light yogurt smoothies? I don't know if you like yogurt smoothies, but I saw an ad in a magazine that says that their light has no artificial sweetners. I don't like aspartame. I would rather go without or splurge for the real stuff (which I won't be doing in the next few weeks.)
Old 05-20-2005, 07:32 AM   #13  

Good Morning all!

This is going to sound really strange, but I don't feel hungry in the mornings anymore and sometimes have to force myself to eat. I am almost content with nothing, but I know to keep my metabolism running I have to eat something. I am also up to over 70 oz of water a day. I am much less tired also.

Oh, let me share this with you. I ate a cookie on Wednesday morning - some sugar frosted mess from the bakery and I got such a headache afterwards!! That was enough to keep me away from the sugar - can't afford to have a headache with a 2 yr old and an 8 month old!!

How are the rest of you doing? Please keep posting! I enjoy reading your stories.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:56 AM   #14  

Hey bohogoddess

I know what you mean about the not feeling hungry, but you are doing the right thing. Just make yourself eat something. This is a good sign I think. Because sometimes I wake up in the morning thinging about whats going to be for dinner (or im just greedy)

I did not get all of my water yesterday but I did manage to get to curves again. Im going to take a break today and go tomarrow. I may take a 2 mile walk at the park. later. And I have been seriously cutting back on the white stuff. Hey is fat free popcorn considered white stuff?

I will chech you guys later..................
Old 05-20-2005, 03:44 PM   #15  

I am glad to see that everyone is doing great! How encouraging

I have managed to work out everyday since Wednesday when I started. I even did some weights, which I hate doing. I know it is good for me, but to me that is sooooooo boring.

I have successfully managed to stay away from the white stuff for 2 1/2 days, which is pretty big for me. I am a sugar fiend. I have noticed that between not eating at night and better nutritional choices, I feel less bloated at night. The week before this I was bingeing right before bed and I was going to sleep feeling fat, dumb and not so happy.

I think fat free popcorn is white stuff. It is nothing but carbs and fiber. I will say though, that my very thin mother-in-law (who has been eating bootcamp style for years) eats 1/2 bag of light popcorn every night and she is still great looking.