Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: fit but technically fat !

Height: 5'1

Default indoor cycling / Spinning

Hi - new to this board --
very fit but technically Fat gal who is a certified indoor cycling coach . I teach 3 classes a week in my hometown --

if you have any questions or need advice on this GREAT cardiovascular
workout , don't hesitate to post !

Bex
chitownbex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 282/174/155

Height: 5" 6"

Dumb question but what exactly do you do in spin class. It seems very popular.
boxermom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #3  

not a dumb question at all ---
indoor cycling classes "mimic" to some extent a bike ride outside.
The bikes used in class have a resistance knob that you can control to add resistance or take resistance down. Unlike a kickboxing class , a step class , etc. etc. there are only two positions that you can use on the bike --- staying down on the saddle or running up off the sadle (upright) position.

Indoor cycling tends to be a favorite class of ALL genres of excercisers -- men, women , older people , younger people , thinner people , not so thinner people etc.

an average cycling class burns about 500 calories ---
I have had participants (Who use heart monitors with calorie counters)
burn up to 850 in an hour class !

Bex
Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Yeah, spin is good fun I enjoy it. Our class usually runs about 45 - 50 mins including warm up and down and I burn up to 480 cals (from heart rate monitor). The ol' heart rate will peak up around the 178 mark (i'm 26, so max is about 194). I do find you need to push harder than the instructors sometimes say though in breaks to prevent your heart rate dropping too far too quickly. Mine has a tendency to drop from 175+ to 130 in a couple of minutes lol. Very annoying!

I find its a great cross training tool when mixed in with running and a good strength program. One helps the other etc etc.

The class varies from instructor to instructor as well. Some will push you to your limits and others are more out for a sunday cruise.

Give it a go, it's awesome

As my favourite instructor says - give it three attempts, you'll hate the first and be addicted by the third!

Last edited by Lyria; 02-02-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #5  

I LOVE spin

Seriously. It changed my life. I started six years ago and at the end of the first class (when I was at my all time high weight and worst shape ever) I could hardly walk out to the car.

Fast forward to last year when my husband and I did a 100 mile Century ride.

I can easily burn off 750 calories during a class, but then, I also push it more than some people do. Right now, I am doing 3 spin classes a week plus a trainer two days a week.

But this is about you, not me -

Welcome, and it's good to have a pro to ask questions of.
Wavesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Great!!

I'm addicted to spinning. However, been out of the gym since I went on vacation. Need to start again this week...Sore butty again, here I come.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Question: I've taken one spin class. Before that, I had been using a stationery bike at fairly high resistance three times a week for about two years. The class instructor said my form on the bike needs improvement. I "bounce" too much on the seat. I wasn't able to correct this in spin class just by concentrating. What tips can you give me about reducing my bouncing?

Last edited by saef; 02-03-2010 at 10:24 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #8  

Hi Saef -- this is for you

bouncing in the saddle could mean two issues --
#1 -- you need to place more resistance on the bike !! if you are bouncing , you might be circling your legs too fast without enough resistance - there is this big myth at the gyms (amongst women ) that if you have alot of resistance on the bike YOU WILL BULK up your legs ... well I believe in a happy medium ... you shouldn't have too little on bike because really it practically do nothing for you !!! and too much puts too much strain on the knees ---
#2-- if you have enough resistance I suggest sitting all the way on the saddle (on your sit bone ) and make sure your knees are forward and toes are forward. That may help take some of the bounce out of your riding !!

Bex
Old 02-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #9  

@ Wavesmom -- congrats on your Century --- that should be my next goal -- I only completed a metric ... stilll good , but 100 would be sooo RAD !
Old 02-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #10  

@ Lyria -- I love your favorite instructors saying !! He /she is soo right ... I find some of my students were the same way -- hated the first ride , but now are continued regulars !!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #11  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

does anyone know of a cycle workout or pod cast? Cycle class is always so full at my gym. I still use the bikes to do my own thing. I'd rather listen to my music anyway, but I'd like some structure.
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote