Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 03:38 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Talking Clean Sweep challenge

Well darn it! I couldn't find the old thread - guess it must have got swept up by someone and tossed out so here is a new one.

I spent the weekend purging the bedroom closets and drawers, tossed or donated 5 black garbage bags worth of stuff. Broke down the extra wardrobe we had since it was in bad shape anyway and lugged it down to the garbage room by myself. Miraculously all of our stuff fits in one closet and the drawers we have. We thought we needed more storage when we just needed less junk

I actually mannaged to toss some handbags and some shoes - tough given my Imelda Marcos shoe hoarding tendencies

It is much more spacious in the bedroom now and I can open the curtains wide to the wall to let the sun in -Yippeee!!!!!

Now I just have to finish vacuming, dusting and decorating and I am all set!
Old 02-09-2004, 07:18 PM   #2  
Hot Stuff

Mauvais, you must be almost DONE with all the clean sweeping you've been up to lately! Good job!

Although I've been dreadfully sick yesterday I HAD to get out of the house and the clutter was driving me mad, so I clean sweeped my desk area. Bought a CD tower for next to my monitor to store my fav music CDs I listen to while surfing. Since my CPU won't fit in the cupboard in my desk that is designed to hold a CPU it sits on top of my desk, leaving a wasted cupboard in the desk....but not anymore. I bought a neat storage bin that fits inside and has three drawers in it, so all my office supplies, papers, and WW info is neatly stashed away. I even got an in-basket for bills and mail, and one for stuff to be filed. I organized my candles (geez, I have a ton of Party Lite candles!) in plastic bins, filed three year's worth of pay stubs and miscellaneous stuff I brought home when I moved out of my office at work in September, and threw out four years worth of Canadian Living magazines and Family Circle magazines. It was SO liberating!

And was it ever nice to come tonight and sit in my CLEAN, TIDY workspace while supper was cooking.

Next on my list is the front hall closet, and then our bedroom closet.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:37 PM   #3  
it's always something

Sounds exciting! This weekend, I cleaned and organized the junk drawer in my kitchen. Next task will be to do the same to the junk chest of drawers in the hall
Old 02-10-2004, 11:53 AM   #4  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

cleaned my desk, started on all my papers. clean sweeped thru my spices in kitchen, and went thru the kids toys, getting rid off all broken, bitty pieces and so forth..
Old 02-10-2004, 03:13 PM   #5  

Sweepers!
Old 02-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

We swept in November when we moved. We got rid of everything that we didn't need and didn't have special meaning. I would reccommend it to anyone. We even gave away our kitchen table- kids ate on the floor in the kitchen until last weekend. (we got a new one)
Old 02-10-2004, 08:48 PM   #7  

Yes it is somehow liberating - as if all of the junk has been dragging you down and then a weight has suddenly been lifted
Old 02-10-2004, 09:56 PM   #8  
Canadian, eh?

I put out a big box of stuff for the Canadian Diabetes Association to pick up this morning. Stuff I haven't used in 15 years, mostly.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:34 PM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

The weekend before last we tore the house up looking for a receipt my husband needed, and in the process we decluttered all of the paperwork that had taken over our house, filed most of it in a file box, and the rest is in a box waiting to be filed when we have a place to put it. Oh, and we found the reciept on the book case between two books of all the places!!
Then this last weekend we did it again, only this time it was a missing DVD that my husband borrowed from a friend. We never found it and ordered it yesterday. And that is why it is imperitive to declutter and organize yourself. Because if you don't, the giant clutter monster will eat whatever important thing that you are looking for, only to be found 2 weeks later when it is no longer needed.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:42 AM   #10  
For my HEALTH...

Default 15 minutes a day for clutter

This is my first "official" post on the Alternachick forum. I usually hang out at my home forum but I am trying to broaden my forum horizons.

I came across a reference on one of the 3FC forums talking about a website called www.flylady.net

One of the tips the Fly Lady gives is to set your timer and deClutter just 15 minutes a day. I have tried it a couple of times and not only does it work but most of the time I go beyond the 15 minutes.

When I start off thinking it will only be 15 minutes it does not seem so overwhelming and I realize the hardest part is to get started.

I have declutter books and declutter tapes and declutter videos. I have watched every episode of "Clean Sweep" on TV. My big dream is to have one of those houses where you walk in and it looks like the people have no possessions! I always wonder where their stuff is? Especially those folks who even have just a few things neatly organized in their closets. Where is their stuff anyway? Does anybody know the secret?
Old 02-11-2004, 02:12 AM   #11  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOKIE88
I have watched every episode of "Clean Sweep" on TV. My big dream is to have one of those houses where you walk in and it looks like the people have no possessions! I always wonder where their stuff is? Especially those folks who even have just a few things neatly organized in their closets. Where is their stuff anyway? Does anybody know the secret?

Under the bed. LOL!!! (I'm guilty of this!! But my closet looks spiffy!! )
Old 02-11-2004, 09:48 AM   #12  

I think they hide everything in boxes in the basement, attic and garage

I will never have a minimilist house since I love my books, tchotchkies (sp?) that I have collected in my travels and my DH has 3 bookcases worth of hot sauces from around the world ( last count was 150+ different hot sauces) , oh well

And yes, we do actually eat the hot sauces!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:52 PM   #13  
Rattie Lover

Hot Sauces...now that is definitely a different kinda collection... Interesting though!! I collect Miniature Gumball Machines... They're tiny and don't take up alot of room...but I still enjoy googling at them.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:36 PM   #14  
For my HEALTH...

Talking Down the chute it goes!

I have been getting rid of clutter and I am determined to get rid of a lot more of it.
You know how frustrating it is when you get rid of something and then the next month you realize you could have used it.

I wish there was some magical way of knowing which items you will need it the future and which you won't.

I know when I look around and see less clutter I can actually BREATHE easier and I feel so much more happy and relaxed!

I actually get a "rush" when I push a bag full of clutter down our garbage chute.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:35 PM   #15  

Pookie that has happened to me a few times too!

I spent part of Sunday clean sweeping the bookshelves in my bedroom and rearranging the entertainment unit so that the stereo fits in with the t.v. I also threw out another large garbage bag full of trash

Our bedroom is getting decluttered and looks so much brighter and more spacious! Yay!
Closed Thread