Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #91  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Linda - ack, just another two weeks and all the Christmas/NewYear challenges will be history. We can make it!! We're supposed to get snow here, too! As much as I love it, I do worry about travelers. What are you cross-stitching?

Carol - a big to you! I'm glad you found us, and yes, we are a fun-loving group! Oh my, what I'd give to be talented in Tole Painting! I have seen (and bought) some beautiful pieces of tole painted items, and just marvel at the talent involved.

Kim - Speaking of being a Christian, I'm baking a birthday cake for our family Christmas party on Christmas Eve, and we'll sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. The leftovers will go home with the kids, though. Anyway, I like for the grandkids to remember what the day is all about. We also read Luke 2:1-20 that day, passing around the bible.

Hello to anyone reading this.

What an eejit I am! I laid a rubber-backed potholder on my HOT glass stovetop this morning, then had to get that stinky stuff off! Pee-you!! I let it cool, then applied ice cubes, and scraped most of it right off. Then I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for the residue.

Cooking has been my craft this week, lol. Today is the day Neal's family come for Christmas. I've got everything done that can be done early, except I need to pop the kitchen rugs in the washer, and of course I'll spiffy up the bathrooms again before they get here.

Have a good day, ladies!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 178/164/140

Height: 5'5"

[QUOTE=Jane;3052116]Hi all,

Good Morning Ladies,
Thank you for the Jane,
I fell in love with the painted saw blades back in the 80's when we went to the local flea market. I'd stand there and drool over the beautiful pictures painted on the old rusty blades.

Finally, I got my nerve up and took a Tole class at a local craft store. After that Tole stores opened in the area and I took more classes. With lots of practice and redos, I finally learned how to paint by myself. It's so nice to go for 3 hours and not be interrupted with house chores, phones ringing, or kids. It was a wonderful escape for about 4 years.

During those classes I thought I like to learn how to cut my own wood. Since I use to sew and make all the little summer outfits for the girls, I thought "how hard could holding a piece of wood be?" It was starting to become expensive ordering the precut wood from the store.

So my DH bought me a band saw and the rest is history. He designed a 8x10 garden shed about 10 years ago for me with all my tools we've bought since and I love cutting my projects. It's nice to be able to enlarge or reduce over at Staples. I'm not the greatest on boxes, but can cut the flat things, like welcome signs, and pretties that sit around, pins, and ornaments. My newest fun thing to paint is shelf sitters. Never thought I'd be doing those, but have been having a lot of fun designing the sayings.

Tole painters just color pretty!! That's what one "big brush" says.

I retired a year ago, so now I paint most days in between house chores. It is so easy to start about 8am, grab a bite for lunch, and hit the brushes till about 5pm. I tell myself I'm at the "office" and can't go in the kitchen for snacks.

But I've decided I really needed to get off my tush and add some exercise into my day, so I've been going to the pool and doing an hour of water aerobics. Feel great, and it helps my hips. I was starting to do the "shuffle" when I took steps! Yikes! Hips just wouldn't move like they use to.
This has helped me enjoy a few more afternoon walks too.

Hoping to lose some more weight, reach goal, stay healthy, and paint as fast as I can for next years holidays. We crafter's are always thinking ahead.

I'm on the Crack the Fat Loss Code and have lost 13lbs. So excited to start losing this spare tire that's expanded around my middle.

Hope I didn't bore you with a little of my history of how I got started in Tole painting.

Every one have a wonderful Friday! Enjoy the weekend!
Carol
Old 12-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hello Everyone

Dora and Carol - Glad you are here.

Not much going on here. Turns out it will be just Tony and me here for Christmas. Kids can't come with the economy like it is. So I'm not doing any baking. My craft will be planning a simple special meal for just the 2 of us. haha

Y'all have a great week end.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #94  
New ME in 2010!

Thumbs up Hint for Ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Kim - Speaking of being a Christian, I'm baking a birthday cake for our family Christmas party on Christmas Eve, and we'll sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. The leftovers will go home with the kids, though. Anyway, I like for the grandkids to remember what the day is all about. We also read Luke 2:1-20 that day, passing around the bible.
I have an !
Bake Jesus' Birthday cake in one of those new Brownie Pans! That will be helpful to everyone's health in serving size and the rest can go home easily or can be frozen!

I really like the tradition you are doing with the children...wonderful...and it will make Jesus happy also to be remembered on His birthday too!

See ya Lighter!
Kim
Old 12-19-2009, 01:23 AM   #95  

Hello ladies,
Had a good day, went out to breakfast and had a few bites of fruit. I hope I won't gain on that. Brought home the frosted muffin. I like frosting on the cinnamon rolls, but not the muffins.

Any one have a free place I can go to and put in a recipe and it comes back with all the counts? Just wondering about a couple LF pumpkin custards, no crust, that sounds good and I'd like to try.

Thinking of closing up shop and heading down the hall for the night.

Hope all have a wonderful Saturday!!

carol
Old 12-19-2009, 01:56 AM   #96  

[QUOTE=pattygirl63;3052859]Hello Everyone

Dora and Carol - Glad you are here.

Thank you for the welcome!! Think I'll enjoy the thread!

Falling asleep at the gotta hit the sack.

carol
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #97  

Good Morning Ladies,
I woke up early today, body goes whack-o sometimes. Thought I'd start at the beginning and read all the posts and catch up.

Finally finish a couple ornaments that I was beginning to stress over yesterday. The past couple weeks have been so crazy, I didn't have any free time to craft. Can breath easier today. I can feel a weight lifted off my shoulders.

I'm starting my last 4 snow globe ornaments for the grand children today. With any luck I'll get them finished by Christmas. Made a decision to do theirs in January for next year. I always put theirs off and really I should put them at the top of the list! Haven't missed a Christmas in 20 years, don't want to break my streak. Was up one year at midnight on Christmas Eve painting, but I did get them finished by dinner time on Christmas day.

I started sewing a standing angel a few years ago, and decided I just have to finish her this year!! She's just about finished, all she needs is her head. Poor thing, she's been headless for about 3 years. I made a scarecrow for the Fall and I wanted the angel for Christmas. I stand them by the door for each season.

Had the best afternoon yesterday. We drove about an hour to see a small town stage production of "Plaid Tidings" for the holidays. It was so worth while to drive up and see it. Our daughter played the piano on stage at the side, and it was fun being able to see her. She's usually down "in the pit" for the shows she plays for. We never thought the 10 years of piano lessons would give her so much joy. It was a delightful play and we enjoyed the humor. We were able to have dinner with the cast and then they had one more evening performance. Oh, the effort that goes into those small town theaters! These people have normal jobs and then they rehearse at night....all for the fun of giving back to the community. What wonderful singers.

Was able to have an omelet for dinner and stay legal to my eating plan.

I'm taking it one day at a time. Trying to change old habits and make wiser decisions. No more "just one bite". Focusing on wholesome food instead of sweets.

I do miss the baking this year, but didn't think I could keep my fingers out of the cookie batter, so not even going to bake this year. I can eat 5 cookies from the bowl before they're even cooked! There's always next year to look forward to and I hope to be at goal by then. I'm such a slow loser, it might take all year! But that's ok, this is going to be a life time woe for me. I feel so good being in control.

Yesterday DH and I were talking (and laughing) and we decided we're "in training". Don't know what for, but at least that's something to say when we're asked if we want dessert and we say no.

Well, just about time for dh to get p and I've finished a couple cups of coffee already. Think I'll go read for a bit.

Everyone have a wonderful day! Drive safely if you're getting snow. Don't stress! Enjoy the holidays!

Carol
Old 12-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Wow, we ended up with right around 18" of snow from yesterday's storm. It looks like we'll definitely have a white Christmas! It's bright and sunny out right now, so that should help clear the roads.

Our family has always had a birthday cake for Christmas, too. I think it's important for everyone to remember the reason for the season. This year it will be rum cake and a cheesecake.

Jane, I'm still working on the same wreath cross-stitch that I've been working on for the past year and a half. It's done on black aida, and I go cross-eyed after an hour or so of working on it. Remind me never to use black as a background again, although it will be beautiful when it's finally finished.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #99  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Carol - YAY for the 13 pound loss! That's great! You sound like me, working in the fun stuff between bouts of cleaning. Years ago I used to keep a very tidy home, then I got a computer, haha! I still like a clean house, but have to admit that the rooms that are visible from the front door look better that the rooms in the back. I hope your angel gets a head before Christmas, lol. I'll have to use your and your DH's phrase and say I'm in training when offered something I shouldn't eat. Sounds like you have a fun-loving marriage like me.

Kim - you are a busy lady on 3FC, and are inspiring people everywhere. Good idea about the brownie pan, but I don't have one. I like the middle part of the brownie, although most people do prefer the edges. Go figure. I will be sending leftover Christmas goodies home with the kids, though.

Linda - it's snowing here right now, but I think it won't amount to much. The cross-stitch sounds beautiful, and I hope you post a picture when it's finished. Your cakes sound de-lish!

Today has been a quiet one, and I have spent most of it just resting up for what's coming later in the week. I can barely believe it's Christmas week already!

I've been recording some positive, cognitive suggestions on my tape recorder to help me stay OP. Kind of like the Beck idea, only listening to my own audio prompts instead of reading thoughts on note cards. When I listen to it, it is very, very helpful.

Toodles!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:26 AM   #100  

[QUOTE=Jane;3054407]Hi all,

Carol - YAY for the 13 pound loss! That's great! You sound like me, working in the fun stuff between bouts of cleaning. Years ago I used to keep a very tidy home, then I got a computer, haha! I still like a clean house, but have to admit that the rooms that are visible from the front door look better that the rooms in the back. I hope your angel gets a head before Christmas, lol. I'll have to use your and your DH's phrase and say I'm in training when offered something I shouldn't eat. Sounds like you have a fun-loving marriage like me.

Hi Jane,
Still holding at my 13 pounds all week, so maybe a little will come off soon. I hit and miss the house any more. Yes, yes! Front door and family room look like we don't live here, but don't go looking in my craft room. It's a shame. After Christmas I'll do a good cleaning. LOL

Yeah, I like that....I'm in training....that's going to come in handy over the holidays.

Fun loving 42 years, feel like we're old friends now. hehehe Since DH retired I'm always running to him for craft opinions. I tell him he's become my best crafting buddy. Don't have any one on the street that I can ask.

Everyone have a great Monday and if you live near all that snow back east, please drive careful!

Carol
Old 12-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #101  
New ME in 2010!

Thumbs up Hi Everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolis60 View Post
I'm taking it one day at a time. Trying to change old habits and make wiser decisions. No more "just one bite". Focusing on wholesome food instead of sweets.

I do miss the baking this year, but didn't think I could keep my fingers out of the cookie batter, so not even going to bake this year.
Carol
Way to GO Girl! I'm not baking this year either - makes my DH happy, he starts moaning and groaning about all the sweets at Christmas, so he is VERY happy this year! Nothing by healthy food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Kim - you are a busy lady on 3FC, and are inspiring people everywhere. Good idea about the brownie pan, but I don't have one. I like the middle part of the brownie, although most people do prefer the edges. Go figure. I will be sending leftover Christmas goodies home with the kids, though.
I don't have one either
AND your plan to send leftovers home is the BEST idea! I've been known for eating something I'm not suppose to even if it's FROZEN!

Have a GREAT day everyone!

See ya Lighter!
Kim
Old 12-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #102  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Carol - one thing I plan to do after the new year is to sort through all my craft stuff, and give some things to my daughters and granddaughters that I'm not likely to use ever again. My DH is my go-fer, but can't always be trusted to bring back what I asked for. Once I sent him for a jar of Miracle Whip, and he came home with a tub of Cool Whip. Men! Gotta love 'em, though!

Kim - so how are you doing? Yep, I often send tempting leftovers home with the kids, or run them down the garbage disposal. Neal says the garbage disposal eats better than we do, lol.

The family party was lots of fun, and it was so good to see relatives that I hadn't seen for awhile. I got weighed today, and I'm still maintaining! From someone that usually gains between Thanksgiving and New Year that is an accomplishment. Now to get through the next couple of weeks - one day at a time!

I'm going to make a grocery run this afternoon for fresh produce, but I don't really have anything else that must be done today, thank goodness!

Have a good one!

Last edited by Jane; 12-21-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

WOW we are really growing here. I'm not sure who I've welcomed and who I haven't so to all the Newbie's

I have spent all morning getting packages ready for UPS to pick up today and amazingly, the kids will get them before Christmas. In fact, they will get them Wednesday. I was surprised they could still get them. Any way, just Tony and me here for Christmas. I did get us a ham to fix since I am low carbing. I plan to stay OP all the way through the holidays. Hope to lose a little before or at least by the 2010. I decided that I may as well just go for it. We will have a new grandson which will be born in April or May and will be going to FL after he is born. I would love to lose as much as possible by then. Tony's DS and family are coming to visit in July and I want to be able to go and do things with them with out huffing and puffing so hope to have lost a lot of weight by then.

Jane YEA!!!! for maintaining. Glad you had fun with your family party. I have really been homesick for my family this year. I think it is because of all the changes. My Step-mom isn't doing really well... Demensia is getting worse and not sure how long Daddy can keep her at home with him. He is 86 and my sister says he is getting tired but hangs on. We know he is lonely and probably experiencing much of what he went through with our Mama. So I think it is great you have your family with you. You are truly blessed to have them all there.

I'm not doing much with my crafts right now. I hope to get some kind of projects going next year. I am getting bored with being on the pc so much and need to be doing something worth while. So looking forward to some new beginnings as 2009 goes out and 2010 comes in.

Hope all is well with everyone.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Hey everyone - just doing a quick check in. Welcome to the newcomers!

Haven't done much for sewing the last couple days - my iron went toes up and it's hard to sew without an iron. Bought a new one yesterday so I'm back in business - maybe later today I'll fit in an hour of quilting.

Has anyone done knitted sox before? I just received some Noro thread/yarn (I love their fibers) and 2 sets of DPN in a size 2. Holy moly.....size 2 is incredibly small. I might just stick to dishcloths!

Have a great holiday everyone-
Cheers
Old 12-22-2009, 02:11 AM   #105  

[QUOTE=Jane;3054407]Hi all,

Hello ladies,

Hey, I finally dropped another 1.5 lbs. Yippee, Skippy!! This program is really working. I'm so amazed that I'm losing and I'm still eating.

Jane-Yes, I have to fit in house work in between painting. I always have to wait for some paint to dry anyway. Gives me a chance to dust or vacuum. Do the wash.

Linda- Oh yes, love to see your cross-stitch picture when you're through with it.

I had a busy day today. Non stop from 9am till 6pm. My dogs were barking! I got up at 4:00, but I'm slow in the mornings. Coffee doesn't kick in till the third cup. Started the clothes and changed the sheets. Had a fast breakfast at 9:30, water aerobics at 10:30 -11:30. Home for a quick bite, then off to the grocery store for my supplies for Lasagna for Christmas Eve dinner. Came home and put it all away and it was 5:30 by that time. Poured me a cup of left over coffee and sat down to rest and read a few posts here on 3FC.

Than I called a friend in Louisiana and we talked half an hour. Just found out she has the same cell phone company, so I didn't have to use any of our minutes. Yippee! We chatted just like we were next door. We've been friends for 42 years. Use to live close, but they moved 5 years ago. We email every day just to touch base. It was hard for both of us when they moved. Louisiana sure is a long ways from CA. The USA is bigger than it looks in the school books. LOL I plan on flying back there someday and staying a couple weeks. What a hoot we'd have!!

Fixed dinner at 7pm, Yikes, a bit to late.

Looking forward to a little easier day tomorrow. Have to get 4 ornaments painted for the grand daughters still.

Had a legal day and kept busy. These days are going to fast!!

Night all!! Have to hit the sack.

Carol
Closed Thread