Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Just being accountable here. I didn't do any exercise I could enter in Fitday, but I spent all afternoon helping DH move rail-road ties and rebuild a sort of retaining wall thing in our yard. Those RR ties are mega-heavy and big. I'm beat.

Also, I made myself a cute little low-cal desert. I cut 12 grapes in half. Then I applied 1Tbs of light sour cream(15 cal.). ON top of the sour cream I grated with the microplane grater about 1/2 square(12 calories) of Trader Joe chocolate. I put one marischino cherry(ten calories) on top. I put it in a little sauce dish. I was surprised that I could actually taste the chocolate and something about the grapes with sour cream is really decadent.

I also discovered that I have been overcharging myself for turkey meatloaf. My precut frozen pieces look like much more than a deck of cards, but today I weighed one and it is only three ounces. My slices are long and thin. I guess it is like someone was talking about the shape of a glass influences how much we think we are getting.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:52 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Chickies. all! Hi. I enjoyed reading all the posts and catching up...you all have a lot of interesting things to chat about. Gail, what an amazing imagination you have......grapes and sour cream, who wudda thunk it?

Had an AMAZING day....14,000 steps of sheer fun....gardening, just buttoning down for winter, but it is still so beautiful out.....no killing frost yet....we are more than 3 weeks over the record for frost-free days......if global warming weren't so real and so SCARY, I could be just grateful and not so worried. Still getting Wood Ticks off the dog........they are gone the first of July....never beyond July 15....NEVER! This must be a second hatch..things are really weird.

The frogs haven't gone to the lake yet..they are still hanging out in the garden...weird.

It is supposed to be just like this tomorrow....so going for 15,000 fun-filled steps..

Will let you know!
Old 10-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #63  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey maryblu! Good to see you again. Good luck with your many thousand steps!

The weather really has been strange, hasn't it?

Yesterday it was a little bit cooler here (Fla.) and overcast--which was good because I had to work outside. I was putting up vinyl lattice panels on our screen porch, and it involved using a saber saw, a power drill, and going up and down the ladder, etc. Whew! FitDay says I burned a whole bunch of calories, but I don't trust FitDay's burn numbers sometimes. They can lead me astray... So I try to keep my calories eaten within bounds.

Jay
Old 10-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #64  
East Texas

S/C/G: 241.5/178/182

Height: 5'10"

Good morning, all of you 50+! I am relatively knew to the 3fatchicks community and decided to drop in and ask all of you some questions.

I have been walking 30 minutes a day for about two weeks now, and I am finding that my knees are REALLY hurting (on the insides where I thought there was only fat residing!) I make sure that I stretch before and after, but it's not really helping. Does using an ace bandage around my knees help, because I don't want to give up my walking program.

Also, I have been looking on ebay at ellipticals and find that there are about a jillion different kinds (maybe a slight exaggeration.) Do any of you have one, and how cheap can I go and still get a really good one for my home?

Thanks for your help, and happy Sunday!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #65  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey chopingirl,

The first thing I'd ask is, how old are your shoes? Are they good quality athletic shoes and less than 6 months old? Having worn-out shoes is one thing that can make your knees hurt--even if you aren't overweight and even if you're relatively young. I know this from personal experience.

Also, once you get good shoes, you could take a day off walking every three or four days--and see if your knees improve.

Use ice packs on your knees after your walk for about 20 minutes--that may help, too. But I'd start with the shoe question.

I walk almost every day, too--and I'm due for a new pair.

Jay
Old 10-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #66  
East Texas

I just KNEW that this was the place to come and ask my question!! Nope, my tennis shoes are about three years old. They still have soles on them, so I assumed they were still good. Seriously, I never even thought about the issue of having old tennis shoes. I'll also try the ice packs - perfect advice!

Thank you so much for the help, JayE!!
Old 10-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #67  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Good Morning everybody . . .

We have sunshine but with enough wind to blow small children away.

Nothing more active for me today than spending some time with 'Zella.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #68  

Today when I walked, I wore my light-weight hiking shoes. They are quite a bit more comfortable than my athletic shoes. They are a few years old, but haven't been worn very much, so maybe they will be ok. I see some similar to what I already have in the LLBean catalog. They are New Balance. I would sort of like a pair even if I don't really need them .
Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 AM   #69  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Another beautiful day -- and the wind has calmed down -- Hope to get out there to play in a little while.

See you later, gang . . . Keep things moving and shaking . . .
Old 10-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #70  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Morning! Gail, I hope you go ahead and get yourself those shoes if you want them!

I finished putting up vinyl lattice as a privacy screen on our screen porch. This was a job that involved a saber saw, a power drill, self-tapping screws and a ladder. It took all weekend! Originally I had hired a handyman to do this--and he got partway through but then disappeared. So--I finished it. It's one of those things that takes so much time that I'd really rather hire it out, but what are ya gonna do when the help takes off?

I hope to stick with desk work and the fitness center this week...

Jay
Old 10-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #71  
East Texas

Good morning from FINALLY cooler East Texas!

JayE - I don't expect you to endorse any particular kind of shoes, but I read somewhere that not all athletic shoes are created equal. Can I buy a shoe made specifically for running if I am just walking for now? I am going to start jogging/walking/jogging/walking for a mix-it-up kind of workout and am not sure what kind of shoe to get that will be good.

Am I on the right track?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #72  

What is it with those disappearing handymen, anyway? But don't you have a sense of accomplishment when you complete the job? My friends are always surprised that I do as much of that kind of thing as I do. I guess it is part of the "girls (well, maybe I should say old ladies, at this point), don't do that kind of stuff" attitude. DH doesn't have the patience for small, fiddly jobs, so I do it.

I ate a hunk of chocolate last night. DH left a partially eaten candy bar, unwrapped, right at my eye level in the fridge. I ate it. I will have to add that to yesterday's food. I already asked him once to move or eat the candy bars. I don't have too much trouble with it as long as the package isn't open, but when it is open, look out.

I think I am beginning to see some results of doing tummy exercises. I haven't lost any weight since I started walking, and the last three days, I have cut back on the food, candy bars notwithstanding. I am sure if I can keep it up, the scale will move.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #73  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey! I am no expert on shoes... And different people have different feet! For example, I've never been able to wear Nike shoes--there is something about the arch in them that doesn't work with my feet. I wear Adidas--they seem to work best. I used to wear Reebok, but I think Adidas bought them out.

Adidas makes a number of good women's athletic shoes. I wear the running shoes even though I'm mostly walking--and I get the "cushioned" version (e.g., Supernova cushioned, Response cushioned). But you can also get shoes made just for walking.

The thing to do is to find an athletic shoe store in your area--and try some on. Any shoe that hurts right away is a reject. With some, you may not know whether they'll work until you've worn them a bit, so try them on and walk around in them for ten minutes or so in the store. Be sure to try on both shoes of a pair.

Good luck in your search!

Jay
Old 10-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #74  
East Texas

JayEll - Okay, thanks for the advice. I was just making sure that "running" shoes are okay for "walking." I'm new at this fitness stuff - sorry to say!

Thanks again!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #75  
Onward and Downward

Closed Thread