Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #1  

Default Over 50 & Getting Lighter March/April

Hi Ladies...Sorry I have been MIA, but we got hit with nasty weather last Wednesday and I have been in hibernation mode.

Theresa... I look forward to getting to know you. I'm 53 and following Weight Watchers. It's a life style, not a diet for me and I take each day as it comes.

Donna...I HATE THE SNOW, I HATE THE SNOW!!!! It started snowing hard early Wednesday morning and I thought I better get to town and stock up on food. I barely made it home the drift were so high and I was in 4 wheel drive. We got over 18" of new snow and then we have had blizzard conditions since Thursday.

My Hubby got our Suburban stuck up on the road Thursday night trying to get to work. He finally got it back in our yard, but stuck. He dug it out today and our neighbor is here now trying to snowblow our yard out. The snow is so deep, you can't even see the top of my clothsline or our fence. We have drifts that are over 6' high. I'm hoping the grater gets the road done before Monday, otherwise there will be no school or mail. I haven't had mail since Tuesday and I have CABIN FEVER as well!!!!

Jude and Hy...I need to go back and read up on some post before I write one to you. Be back soon.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #2  

Donna... On your 2 lbs the fairy fat mother took away. I'm so happy for you!!!! I'm pretty sure I will see a gain this week instead of a loss. I haven't been watching what I eat nor writting it down since stuck in the house. Need to get back on track tomorrow.

Hy...I can't wait to get outside and walk. Good for you taking that morning walk with your hubby.

Jude...It's hard trying to eat right and deal with stress as well. I find that if I plan my meals the night before for the next day and write in my journal after each meal, I stay on track. When I don't, which I haven't done for a week, I fall off program real fast.

We love fish and we eat lots of sea bass and catfish. I bake it. I have a Cajun coating I use on the catfish. I'll look up a few recipe in the next couple of days and post them for you.

Cheryl
Old 03-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/169.5/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl120 View Post
Hi Ladies...Sorry I have been MIA, but we got hit with nasty weather last Wednesday and I have been in hibernation mode.

Cheryl thanks for starting the new thread for Mar/April and I'm sorry to hear you had some funky weather there Gosh that stuff is just miserable!!

I did something to my foot, hopefully didn't break it, but I'm staying off of it for the weekend just to see if it gets better. Can't put any weight on the ball of the foot w/o a very sharp pain.....hmmmmm....not good and I know, since I had a broken foot several years ago, but the bone that was broken was on top. oh well, whatever it is, it is. My only complaint is that this will seriously impact my walking if it is indeed a broken bone - rats!!

I'm going to repost the parchment baked fish recipe here, just in case anyone is interested in trying it - Cheryl, I'd like to see your recipe for baked fish too.

Hy
Old 03-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #4  

Default Salmon in Parchment

Here's my salmon in parchment and I just use single serving pieces of salmon, but you can do however, with more or less....I also have used this same cooking method for halibut.

Salmon baked in parchment paper
You preheat oven to 400 F.

Take parchment paper and spray lightly with Pam. Put single filet
on paper and add a little butter (or not), and I like to slice very
thin lemon slices and place on top of filet. Salt and pepper and
add any spices you like (dill's good). Thinly sliced onions are also
good as a topping.

Then you fold the parchment to make a little packet and twist the
ends closed. I put this on a baking sheet. It basically steams the
filet and it's very good. You can do more than one filet, but just
use one per packet. Oh, I always remove the skin from the fish fillet- it makes the fish taste 'fishy' IMO.

You only have to bake for about 10 mins - you can check on doneness,
but be care when you open the packet - there will be a release of
steam.

I usually cook up several packets as I also like salmon cold, on
salads too.

The parchment paper can be doubled over if you like for more strength.

Hy
Old 03-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #5  

Day Four on South Beach...

It's going well and this diet is very similar to Atkins, or the way I did Atkins. I just think Atkins gets a bad rap from those that have never actually read the book - lol. OK, off my soapbox now....

I'm excited to start seeing the results. Doing low-carb has been working for me and I had lost weight and then stalled for now quite a few months but a lot of that was due to the thyroid issue. Now all seems to be back on track with that and my meds are working as they should be from the looks of my latest blood work - I hope by switching over to SBD, it will shake up my metabolism a bit. We'll see!!

Hope everyone is having some success on their chosen programs also

Hy
Old 03-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #6  

Evening Ladies...Finally got my act back on track today and also got out of the house and made it to town. Hubby and I, plus our dog had CABIN FEVER really bad. My dog Ozzy was doing his happy dance that he does when he knows he is going for a ride.

Hy...Hope your foot isn't broke and you are back walking real soon. Here are some fish recipes that I have.

Parmesan Baked Fish

4 (4oz) fish fillets
Cooking spray
1/3 cup Lt Mircle Whip
2 TB grated parmesan cheese
2 TB sliced green onion
1/2 tsp White Wine Worchestershire sauce

Rinse fish and pat dry. Spray and 8X8 pan with cooking spray. In a bowl, mix the mircle whip, parmesan cheese, onion and worchestershire sauce. Spread mixture over fish fillets. Baked uncovered in a 450 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes.

Serves 4 176 calories 9 grams fat 0 fiber ww pts = 4

Crispy Parmesan Roughy

2/3 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp dried Oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
4-6 oz Orange Roughy fillets
1/4 cup skim milk

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Mix the first 4 ingredients. Dip fillets in milk, then coat with the crumb mixture. Bake 8 minutes.

Serves 4 225 calories 3 grams fat 1 gram fiber WW pts = 5

Salmon with Brown Sugar & Mustard Glaze

1 1/2 TB Lt Brown Sugar
1 TB Butter
2 TB Djon Mustard
1 TB Soy Sauce
1 TB Olive Oil
1 tsp honey
1 tsp ground ginger
salt and pepper
4 (6oz) Salmon filets

Mix brown sugar, honey and butter in a saucepan. Remove from heat and whisk in mustard, soysauce, olive oil and ginger. Cool. Season fish with salt and pepper and coat with the brown sugar mixture. Grill for 6 to 8 minute

ww points = 9

Maryland Crab Cakes

3 TB Fat Free mayonaise
2 tsp yellow mustard
1 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 egg
3 (4.5 oz cans) crabmeat drained and flaked
6 TB Bisquick Reduced Fat Baking Mix
2 tsp dried parsley flakes

In a large bowl, combine mayonaise, mustard, worchestershire sauce and egg.
Add crab, baking mix, parsley flakes. Mix well to combine. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup as a guide, form into 12 cakes. Place on a hot griddle sprayed with butter flavored cooking spray. Brown for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.

Serves 6 (2 crab cakes each)
106 calories 2 grams fat 0 grams fiber WW pts =2

Coconut Shrimp

1 lb Lg Shrimp (about 30) peeled and devined
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
3 egg whites
2-3 drops coconut extract

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Rinse shrimp under cold water and pat dry. Combine cornstarch and seasoning in a small bowl. Mix cocnut and bread crumbs in another bowl. Beat egg whites and coconut extract with mixer. Dip shrimp in cornstarch, shake off excess, then dip in egg mixture to coat. Dredge in coconut mixture. Place on baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes.

2 shrimps = 2 ww points

Pineapple Shrimp

2 lbs medium shrim, shelled and devined
1 1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/3 cup Lt soy sauce
3 TB honey
1 TB olive oil
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 TB cornstarch

Place shrimp in a glass bowl. Combine 1 cup pineapple juice, soy sauce, honey, olive oil and ginger in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Dissolve cornstarch into remaining 1/4 cup juice. Stir into boiling sauce. Remove from heat and cool to room temp. Pour over shrimp. Placde in refrigerator and marinate for 2 hours. Soak 24 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes. Place 2 shrimp on each skewers and broil for 8 minutes turning to brown evenly.

56 calories 1 gram fat 0 fiber WW pts =1

Citrus Shrimp and Scallops

1/2 lb fresh or frozen large scallops
1 tsp finely grated orange peel
1/2 cup orange juice
2 TB soy sauce
1 tsp grated ginger root
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
12 pieces fresh or frozen pea pods
1 orange, cut into 8 wedges
12 fresh or frozen large shrimp, peeled and deveined

Halve any large scallops. Place scallops and shrimp in a plastic bag. Combine
orange peel, orange juice, soy sauce, ginger root, garlic and red pepper. Pour over seafood. Seal bag and marinate for 30 minutes in refrigerator. Drain, reserve marinade. If using fresh pea pods, cook in boiling water for 2 minutes; drain. Or thaw and drain frozen pea pods. Wrap 1 pea pod around each shrimp. Thread pea pod and shrimp into 4 skwers, alternating with scallops and orange wedges. Grill 5-7 minutes. Brush with reserve marinade.

Serves 4 111 calories 1 gram fat 1 gram fiber
WW pts = 2
Old 03-04-2007, 10:50 PM   #7  

Default I'm over 50, is it ok to join in?

I am new and don't know the rules, can anyone join a group, or do you have to be invited? I agree about the snow, by the way! We had a huge storm in Southern Ontario last week and I had to shovel the driveway every hour just to get the car out of the garage. Maybe I burned a few extra calories!
Old 03-04-2007, 10:58 PM   #8  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Thumbs up Just jump right in ...

... SUEROSE

You don't have to wait to be invited into any of the threads or groups; you just look around and see what interests you and post in. I post in many groups ~ wherever something catches my eye, plus in my regular threads. Glad you joined us @ 3FC's ... Rosebud.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/141/130

Height: 5' 1"

Good morning ladies and I can say that with a The sun is shining and it sounds like it will be in the 50's and maybe 60's this week. I can hardly wait
Yesterday was lovely and I did open my windows for a short time, the geese are starting to move north and what a glorious sight and sound they make. We have a small lake about 2 blocks north of us so we are right in the flyway morning and night, but they flew almost all day,think it was so nice and Friday and Saturday had been so terribly windy 40mph plus.

I want to thank all of you for so many fish recipes. I intend to try at least a couple of them and if I like them I will try some others. They all sound so good. I have my annual check-up tomorrow wish me luck. I am really anxious to see the results of my blood work, like Hy I have a thyroid that causes problems when it come to weight loss. Just seems like we have to try that much harder

CHERYL: I'm so glad to have you back, I've been worried about you. Think my DH thought I was crazy the other day, we were watching the weather channel and they were showing the track of that storm and I said "oh my gosh Cheryl, look out it looks like it's headed your way" and he said " who are you talking to?" I told him my friend in North Dakota!I know how your Ozzy felt our little Scamper didn't want to come in the house,she was really inspecting everything in our yard. It's been a long time since we've seen the ground so she could smell anything. I know Spring is coming, if we can just hang in there for a few more weeks. I don't know how I lost those 2 pounds but I'm not complaining. This week I just held my own,which is fine with me. I know you will start to lose again when we get on to better weather, it will make you feel better Thanks for starting the new thread for us, I wasn't real sure how to do it either.

Hy:Good luck on your new eating plan, and I hope it is not a broken foot.Just when you get and exercise program started too. I'm praying for you that it is just a bruise or strain. Thanks for the fish recipes.

I hope our new gals find us. Jude and Theresa are you there?

to Suerose and Rosebud. It is always fun to have new input to our group and to learn about everyone. I am 60 and live in Central Nebraska. I have a DH and 2 DD and 3 Grandchildren,work for a physical therapist and love to read and do counted crossstitch,take walks with my DH and little dog. Hope you find our site of help and interest to you.

Have a great week gals, DONNA
Old 03-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #10  

Hello Ladies...The sun is shinning and I was out and about today getting some shopping done. Had to take the FD to an appointment and then out to dinner. I tried to be good, but it is always hard when we eat chinese. I'm busy chugging down the water right now. I did make some really good Protein Pancakes for breakfast this morning. Going to share the recipe with you all.

Protein Oatmeal Pancakes

1/3 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/3 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1/3 cup egg whites
1 tsp vanilla

Use a hand blender to blend till smooth. Cook on a griddle. Makes 2 pancakes

WW points = 2

I heated up 1/2 cup sugar free syrup and 1 cup blueberries to go over the pancakes.

Suerose and Rosebud to our little group. It's always nice to meet new people on this journey to a healthy life. I'm 53, will be 54 in May. I have a wonderful DH of almost 35 years, 2 children and 8 grandchildren. I have lived in North Dakota for almost 9 years, but moved here from Portland, Oregon. I love to read, do counted cross stitch and my passion is quilting.

Donna...I know spring is on the way when the geese are back. I can't wait to hear them honking in the fields around us. Last night we had over 25 deer in our front yard. I couldn't believe it!!!

Hy and Donna...It's easy to start a new thread. Go to Diet Weight loss community page. Click support groups. Scroll down, and just below jaded ladies you will see new threads. Click it.

Hy...Hope your foot is feeling better today and your phase 4 is going well.

Have a good evening ladies.

Cheryl

Last edited by Cheryl120; 03-05-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #11  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi to Suerose and Rosebud. Some fellow Canadians!! Nice to meet you!!

Wow Cheryl what a tough bunch of weather you have had. Reminds me of living in the prairies in Manitoba. Thanks for the encouragement with the stress. I just need to put me first. I have been doing pretty well till an hour ago and I just inhaled a chocolate bar here at work. Now one is not the end of the world but I could easily have another. So I am eating an apple now. Trying to read my feelings. I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and so I guess I think the food will kill it. So hopefully I can make it through the rest of the day on track. I will feel better if I do. I have spent my life worrying about my kids and they have been high risk and it should be over but one is still walking on the edge. I am going there after work on the request of the other ones concerns. So it is not a small thing but I already know I am not the one to fix it.

I am trying to find a protein powder that tastes good and does not have too many calories in it but at least 20g of protein. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really find that a protein drink kills the munchies big time.
Any suggestions??

Thanks for all the great fish recipes. I have never had catfish or even seen it. I don't think you can buy it in Canada. Not a local fish. Salmon gets boring all the time and it is expensive. Even though it comes from here.

So I hope everyone is having a better day than me. I have to go and do what I have to do. I will try and remain calm and stay focused. I will not be there long if she is uncooperative. Where do you go to find your own life?? I miss having a partner to share the burden with. But that can not always be the case either.
Cheers and here is too a better day tomorrow!!
Jude
Old 03-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #12  

Hi Jude...Yes we have had it pretty rough for a couple of days, but we are suppose to be in the 40's by the weekend. Sorry you are having a rough day, but hang in there. One candy bar will not knock you off track and tomorrow is a new day. Good job having an apple instead of a second candy bar.

I haven't use protein drinks, but I do like Yoplait Smoothies. Very, very yummy.
Jude, you might try having an apple with low fat carmel for a snack. It's what I have every night instead of popcorn. Keeps me satisfied, plus it's fiber.

You might ask the gocery store if they can get fresh catfish in. If you have a Sam's Club or Cosco, they sell it in the freezer section.

Hope things went well with your child tonight. Try not to get stressed.

I had a pretty good day and I stayed on track with my program. Went to Weight Watcher this morning, but I didn't weigh in. I had too good of a time while snowed in. Went to Subway with my friends afterward for a turkey breast sub. Tonight I made Mock Mashed Potatoes out of Cauliflower, and they weren't bad. Low fat and full of fiber is what I'm telling myself as my hubby spit his in the sink, but he doesn't like cauliflower and wasn't very happy that I tried to sneek them on him.

Have a good evening.

Cheryl
Old 03-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #13  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Height: 5'2"

Oh I think I tried those cauliflower mashed and I am in aggreement with your husband. Some ww recipes are great but some are really strange.
I did the visit with the daughter. Not the greatest but you plant the seed and hope it grows. I did not get home till 8pm and so ate about 845pm. I was pretty happy with my day as the only thing I had that I should not have was the choc bar. Usually one will turn into three.
I went home and watched a show on menopause by Dr Christine Northup on public tv network. It was fabulouw and all about looking after your health and what to eat etc. Really made me think about my priorities. It is on tonight again Thursday and again on Sat.
Take a look in your guides and watch or tape it if you can. It is well worth the watch. I have read one of her books and she is great.

So that helped me get through the night! I am trying to stay on track as I want to get to 226 by Monday which is the day I weigh in.

We have a Costco here but have never seen catfish but i will look again. I don't think we have Sams club. I go and shop in Bellingham Washington sometimes as it is just across the border from me.
So ladies I hope you are all having a great day. I am going to really make myself a priority for a change. See where that gets me!!
Hugs.....Jude
Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 158/141/130

Height: 5' 1"

Good morning ladies, here it is Friday again, can hardly believe it.

JUDE: Sounds like you are doing very well. Good luck with your DD, they can be a trial for us sometimes, but it usually works out in the end.

CHERYL: I woke up to a robin singing this morning, life is good ! It is going to be in the mid to upper 60's for the next few days. I hope to get out and enjoy it. Your protein pancake sounds good maybe I will give it a try this weekend, as for the mashed cauliflower, I would love it but my DH would do the same as yours.

HY: How's it going on the South Beach diet? I just can't make myself stick to something that strict, I just do better with portion control and watching the fats and carbs. To each his own I guess, Good Luck.

I have done pretty well with my eating this week but not so good on the exercise side of things. I've been so busy this week with one thing and another that I haven't been getting to work early enough to walk on the treadmill even. Had my Dr.'s appointment on Tuesday, am anxious to see how my blood work turns out. She was pleased that I had lost 6 lbs since my visit last year and I hadn't lost any more heighth. We are going to try and get together with our youngest daughter and her family this weekend, they are so busy calving it is hard to get them away from the farm for even a couple of hours.

Hope all of you have a wonderful weekend, I found this little phrase on another one of our boards here and thought I would pass it on:

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS TO ANYPLACE WORTH GOING

DONNA
Old 03-09-2007, 08:12 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna72664 View Post
[COLOR=red]HY: How's it going on the South Beach diet? I just can't make myself stick to something that strict, I just do better with portion control and watching the fats and carbs. To each his own I guess, Good Luck.

DONNA

Donna, it's going fine! It really isn't strict (my opinion anyway). I've been doing low-carb for a long time tho so it doesn't seem that different from what I've been doing all along. Like Atkins, you need to read the book to understand what the diet really is - there is a lot of misinformation/urban legend about these diets.

Yes, you are so very right - to each his own. Unfortunately so many people don't seem to understand that and think if it works (or worked) for them, then something's wrong with anyone else that doesn't get the same results. Life usually gets around to teaching them otherwise

BTW, congrats on the good visit with the doctor!

Beautiful here and a nice weekend predicted. I had to skip walking for a couple days due to a slight injury but am making up for it by walking this weekend.

Have a good one all

Hy
Closed Thread