Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Question breakfast ideas?

Hi!

I am looking for some healthy and simple breakfast ideas.

I have food allergies: corn, soy, sesame, tomato, legumes and nuts, ugh, so frustrating.

Anyways, I am not really an egg fan, but what I have been doing is having yogurt and fruit in the mornings, although I am getting a bit tired of it. I impulsively eat, and by that I mean, I trek up to Starbucks or the bagel shop at the wee hours of morning to get something unhealthy sometimes, even though it is just the crack of dawn. I think if I had something more appetizing at home, I wouldn't feel the need to do that, or at least not as often.

I am thinking about getting the low fat Eggo waffles again and using sugar free syrup, jam or Smart Balance on them. Some breads and cereals are hard because of the corn and soy ingredients so I stay away from those.

I don't really know what to do, all advice welcomed please!

Thanks!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #2  

Can you think outside the box and do something like a chicken wrap? Can be prepped ahead. More protein is going to be your friend and you can add some veggies in and start the day on the plus side of 5 of day etc.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 113/117/110-120

Height: 5'5"

I really like old fashioned oatmeal. It's super quick in the microwave. I top it with cinnamon and sometimes ground ginger which seems odd but it is really good. And I use unsweetened almond milk on it which gives it such a good flavour. This breakfast keeps me full for several hours as long as you don't eat quick or instant oats. My other go to breakfast is an egg white omelette with lots of spinach. I top it with tzstiki which goes so well and is also low cal since it is yogurt based. I know you don't like eggs but maybe you'd like them this way. Also, sometimes I just mix the raw oats with egg whites and cinnamon and cook it like a pancake and top it with thawed frozen berries and even sometimes splash it with cocoanut milk or almond milk to add moisture instead of using sugary syrups.
veggiedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

low fat eggo waffles are a processed food. There are lots of good brands of waffles in the frozen section that are organic and made with real ingredients, have you looked at Kashi brand?

I'm an egg fan myself, I like a couple soft boiled in the morning or hard boiled wrapped in low sodium ham, or scrambled with lots of spinach yum!

I don't do cereals because of the wheat and sugar, but once in a while I have a brown rice cake with peanut butter Have you tried almond butter?

If typical breakfast foods don't suit you just treat breakfast like lunch. I once had a japanese roomate who used to eat salad for breakfast every day. You can make some grilled chicken and stop looking for typical breakfast type foods.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #5  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

If you like bagels, why not by a package at the grocery store?

I've been cutting the bagels in half as soon as I get home from the grocery store and then sticking the whole package in the freezer. It's easier to get a serving size out (well, the plan I'm using says 1/2 is serving) and they thaw pretty quickly. And you don't have to worry about them going bad....

You could have them with unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon or ricotta cheese and honey for a change.

I've been on a cereal kick lately.

Must be hard meal planning with allergies. Maybe you could keep a diary of things you like and choose one option per week?

Good luck!
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I'm not a huge egg fan either, but I like egg whites. It's the yolk I don't really like. Maybe an egg white omelette with your favorite veggies in it? I really like them with spinach and mushrooms.

veggiedawg's half a bagel idea is great! You could pair it with a piece of fruit or a yogurt to help you be more full.

Cereal is great too! Kashi can be a little more expensive, but they carry a lot of cereals that have a lot of protein in them. When I eat one I am full until lunch.

Good luck!
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #7  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

My current passion is vanilla Greek yogurt (I love the Yopait 100 calorie). I drizzle it with a little honey add fresh fruit (pineapple, blueberries, strawberries, ect.) and then sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. Tis soooo tasty!!

I also do a sandwich with the light whole-wheat English muffin, 1 egg, 1 slice of low-fat cheese, and 2 slices of Canadian Bacon. I eat this before work and it will stay with me until I finally get time for lunch in the late afternoon.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote