Old 01-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #61  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi, everyone! Just checking in today - it's STILL a wild ride out here. I need somebody to slip me an extra 6 hours a day right now, but even then I'm not sure I could get my arms around what has to be done.

So ... my food's not been well-planned. In spite of myself, I'm doing all right with foraging on the run. I guess I've been following my "no beige food" mandates for so long that it's kind of a habit at this point - pretty food really does have more flavors, and since I've pinned down my artificial color allergy, that leaves me with pretty + natural.

Just a couple notes -
Tuning In - oh, I totally empathize with the DH issues It was a huge step for me to decouple my eating habits from the relationship ups and downs. I suspect that when I had my highest weights, I was in the mindset of "if he doesn't care about me, why should I?" I figured out finally that I needed to put myself first before I could invest any more in trying to work on our growing incompatibilities. And funny, the better I feel about myself, the less aggravated I am by the things he does. Come to think of it ... maybe it's just because I'm in the pool more and not around him?

OMW - congrats on the floor and furnace! That has to be a big relief. Glad to see someone else has a kid with a fascination for shredding! DS10 liked to make layers of different colors in the clear bucket.

Marie - 4:30??? eeek! I'm also a big Birkenstock fan - or anything with a negative heel. Nice to see there's more manufacturers and styles available.

Petra - yay on the presentation! And kudos on being prepared for the late day and not letting it compromise your plan for getting to pilates.

Cindy - sorry Noah's sick and you're having to be on the giving end of some tough love. Hope it works quickly, and that your visit takes a swing in a happier direction!

Heidi - kid's concerts are so much fun! Cellos are one of my favorite instruments. I need to get DS10 out to more orchestral performances ... but next on our list is "Stomp".

Lots more posts to catch up on - I'm out of time again!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #62  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

Annie: on the flaxseed, I use ground flaxseed and put a tablespoon in my 1/2 serving of oatmeal each day. I've used it for years and it doesn't affect the flavor at all. I used to use more but it was adding too much to the percentage of fat calories I was consuming.

Marie: haven't tried birkenstocks but about a year ago I went to a specialty footstore and had a gait analysis done, before spending a good bit of money on a pair of athletic shoes and inserts. made a huge difference in the heel issues, along with the stretching exercises for plantars fascitis (sp?)

I did some major walking yesterday, 2 hours and somewhere between 5-6 miles. Caused some pain but not unbearably so. Tomorrow I have to take the day off to take care of the insurance and tags for my new car (new to me that is). I should be able to pick it up on Saturday after work.

Kathi
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #63  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

WLW, I love the new avatar. You're lookin' great! I had professional orthotics for my feet, the brace to stretch my heels and the such. Now I just wear Birks. What a difference. Enjoy your new car and the day off.

Newleaf, LOL at more time in the pool!!!! I think that the exercise does play into it but because of the brain chemicals. Exercising makes me nicer, not irritable and way more patient.

Today is my non-elliptical day so I'm bumming around after dinner. It's pretty fun!
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #64  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Just jumped online to print my boarding pass. I'm working half day and then to Houston for the weekend. I'll be back Monday. I love getting away and spending time with my friend. It will be lots of good girl talk all weekend. No stress!

WLW, love your new avatar! Hope all goes well with your "new" car purchase!

ICU, If I had 6 hours I'd certainly share with you! I find I do best with the least amount of time, when I have too much time I get nothing done! What's with that?

Marie, I also had trouble with heel pain. Losing the weight has eliminated the problem for me.

Newleaf, enjoy the concert tonight! I love seeing the kids perform. We had a middle school group play at our school today. I was so impressed!

Annie, I agree, maybe the elliptical is not for you. Maybe an exercise video to get you started.

Lambchop, Great news about your run! You are back!

Momto6, Keeping my fingers crossed for your loss this week. Where in Ohio are you. I used to live in Cincinnati.

AZ, Hope you are feeling better!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #65  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Newleaf, LOL at more time in the pool!!!!
I can't think of a more inspiring person to be confused with!! I think you meant this for ICUWishing, though...

Well, I have had quite a day. My boys had their concert; they did one in the afternoon and one in the evening. As a treat, I had ice cream sundaes for them when they got home from school. And, get this -- I had a *serving* of ice cream. I actually weighed it out to the precise number of grams, and enjoyed every one of the 160 calories! It didn't make me want more, it didn't make me start chasing sugar, I had my serving and walked away. This was HUGE. Then, after the concert, DH agreed with the boys that we should go to the Hot Dog Shoppe since the boys were hungry. There is *nothing* healthy there, and their fries are sinful. I ordered tea and did not sneak a fry or anything! So, I'm claiming victory for the day! I don't know if the scale will be down my desired pound for weigh-in tomorrow but I'm feeling pumped.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Maybe I should get some special shoes. I have flat feet.

Annie-flax seed is a great source of fiber and omega-3-fatty acids. I think it doesn't smell all that good but it tastes okay. I use it in my homemade granola recipe I posted last month.

Newleaf-good job on moderating! I can't do that. Not in my personality.

I ordered some organic meat from a farm in Alabama and it came today. It looks great. Can't wait to try it. I reworked some of my menu for next month to include a couple extra beef recipes since it was all beef (except for one package of bacon). I think they don't "process" their chickens until the weather gets a little warmer. I have goat on the menu in the next week so I"ll let you all know what I think after I make that.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #67  
Heidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
I don't know if the scale will be down my desired pound for weigh-in tomorrow but I'm feeling pumped.
But it was - Down 1.6 pounds for the week; woo hoo!! Now to start chipping away at the next pound for next Friday...

I'll be back later for personals... I've got to wake DS10 up so he can finish his math homework and study for social studies before school...
Old 01-22-2010, 07:09 AM   #68  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Noah seems to be all better. Spent the day indoors yesterday because it was raining. Today I'm off to a hotel to spend a couple nights with my sister who is coming in from northern Virginia for Noah's party tomorrow.

Kathi - Love the new picture; looking good!!!

Petra - hmmmm I don't know if I could eat goat, I will be interested in what you think.

Heidi - WTG I found that I was more satisfied with a little cup of Ben & Jerry's than eating an entire pint; no guilt or sugar overload.

OMW - Enjoy your "girls" weekend.

Becky - Hope things settle down soon.

Well need to run, my sister is on the phone.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #69  
Heidi

AnnieDrews – I don’t find that the ground flax has any odor or really any taste. Although I am mixing it into grainy things already: my hot cereal and Petra’s granola. Petra, are you refrigerating your flax?

Marie – yes, the pie was worth every calorie. As was the Thai food over the weekend and the ice cream last night. I guess I learned this week that I could eat lots of different things if I planned for them and was committed to not getting derailed. But, this last week definitely needs to be an anomaly; I can’t be eating that stuff regularly…

ICUWishing - I hope things slow down for you soon! It looks like you are getting the hang of this maintenance business!

WeightLossWanted – I love your new avatar! You look really great! Enjoy your day off today, and great job on yesterday’s walk.

OnMyWay – I hope you are having a lovely time in Houston with your friend; how wonderful!

Petra – how wonderful to get your new meat shipment! I should look into organic meat farms around here. I have a wonderful organic chicken and turkey farm, though. Have fun with your recipes!

CruiseCAT - glad to hear that Noah is all better... Enjoy his party, and enjoy your time with your sister -- I'm envious! My sister is coming to visit in February, and I can't wait!

Chubster - How's it going? I know you said before that life had been very busy for you... When you get a chance, post and let us know what's new. I hope all's well.

Well, the boys’ concert was wonderful. DS10 had a solo and DS8 is the first chair for the 3rd graders. So they both had a wonderful and proud evening. My DS10 is struggling with school, so it was especially nice for him to have a shining moment like that. Oh, my gosh. There was an 8 year old girl who did a solo, it was incredible! Her music was beautiful, and the strings teacher said the piece was one that she didn’t play until college! This little girl must be incredibly gifted… I know that she has been playing for a few years. I’m going to see her this morning because I’m volunteering and I can’t wait to tell her how beautifully she played. Have a great weekend everyone!

Last edited by newleaf123; 01-22-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Happy Friday everyone! My scale was down a lb this morning so I was very happy.

Heidi-no I don't refrigerate my flax. Maybe that would help with the odor. I know it can go rancid quickly. Is that your sister from AL coming to visit in Feb? If so, has she lost her mind? I was a music major my first 2 years of college. I remember all those little concerts growing up. I play the flute-started when I was about 7. I still occasionally play for my own enjoyment. When I lived in PA I took lessons off and on but don't really do that anymore. We have a music therapist at the hospital and he brought me some flute and guitar music which I have played but we have never made a time to play together.

WLW-love the avatar. Nice to see everyone's face.

I guess I better get to work. Something that occured to me this morning. I have been trying to eat more vegetarian meals and I wonder if it has been contributing to some of my snacking behavior. Protein is well known to make people feel satisfied. I'll have to monitor that and see if it makes a difference.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #71  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

WLW - new pic!!! LOVE IT - okay, now i'm going to read and catch up
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #72  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

Annie - I sometimes struggle with "not wanting" to work out (we all do at times)-- so what I do sometimes is set a time that day...I don't care if it's 8am and I set my workout time for 8pm, but that's the deal I make. i can choose ANY time i want to put it off until, but when that scheduled time comes - it's time to do my exercise...just a thought. if you have a "time" you've told yourself you're doing it, maybe you'll whine until the minute before, but then at the time get on it and do it

Heidi - yea on the stairmaster - i hope the concert went well (caught up, read it did, yeah!). I'd never choose the cello, because it would have been too big to carry to school, HA, I chose the clarinet in middle school, and secretly wished i'd chosen the smaller flute case! LOL Congrats on the food victory at the hot dog shop!

Marie- thanks on the HG meal info - read your comment about Birks. Glad they helped your feet....my feet swell on the top of my foot, and finding Crocs for me was wonderful. I'm a Crocs girl..and while my DH hates them, my feet love me. (i do both the flip/flops and clogs on and off)

ICU - artificial color allergy...imagine that. I didn't realize that about you, but has me wondering now -- I had a big bowl of steamed veggies last night and said to my husband, did you ever imagine you'd see me CHOOSING this stuff? I love how you've "created" a good habit now that's natural to you

Kathi - enjoy your new car and congrats on getting in 2 hours of walking!

OnMyWay- enjoy your time in Houston with your friends

Petra- shoes that make your feet feel great are fab! I adore my crocs - i know many hate them, but i love, love them - can't wait to hear what you think of the goat

Cindy - enjoy your sister time and Noah's party, nice to see yoU!
-------

My hormones have me all "overly emotional" this week...it's been fun

Hey, I heard this weird pop, and felt it in my back/tailbone area twice yesterday. It FREAKED me out - but then I realized a lot of pain in my right side was gone. Now i want the LEFT side to pop too! LOL I'm 1/2 way there...

Last edited by lambchop; 01-22-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: .
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #73  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Talking Friday has arrived finally!

OMW, LOL on the heel pain leaving with weight loss. I NEVER thought of that. I bet mine is the birks and the weight loss. Enjoy your weekend getaway!

Newleaf, WTG on walking away after the treat. It’s surprising how a real ice cream serving can satisfy. I add a 50 calorie cone and every night that is my big treat. My ice “cream” is 120 cals so for 170 cals, I have decadence every night. You definitely had victory for the day? Happy dance for the 1.6 loss.

Cruise, I’m glad Noah is better and enjoy the weekend with your sister. And of course, the sunrise tomorrow morning!

Petra, great job on eradicating another pound. You are almost out of those 22X. I remember that you had that as a goal. Don’t you make smoothies? If so, add protein powder to it. I do that and now I’m getting regular protein as I don’t eat much meat or eggs.

Lamb, I’m glad you’re feeling better – even if it’s not 100%. I agree on the good footwear. I don’t particularly think birks are pretty. But you can’t get me to wear anything else except my Nike’s on the elliptical and that’s only ½ hour a day.

Tomorrow my new DIL are trekking over the mountain for a shopping day. Our 2nd rocker/recliner is now in so we’re picking that up and Costco shopping (say bye-bye to the $$$ in my checking account). The rest of the time is for shopping at a mall. Eeks, me and a mall??? I’m going to find a couple more yoga pants for after the surgery. They suggest button down shirts afterwards and I only own one. So maybe I’ll invest in a 2nd. today I saw a new third number on the scale. 137.8 - ok so I'm not much in the 137s but I will take it. 2.8 pounds to go.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #74  
Wonder Woman in Training

S/C/G: 216/tracker/140

Height: 5'8"

Hey, everyone--can I be a 40-somethinger? Even though I'll only be one until July, when I'll turn, well, that other number? I was just reading the last page of postings...it will obviously take me a little bit of time to figure out who's who. But you guys have a great vibe together!

I laughed at all of the shoe talk--a couple of years ago I started having terrible pains in my heels. After trying the old "ignore it and wear flats" cure for six months I went to the orthopedist who told me that I had a bad case of tendonitis in my Achilles tendon and that I should never wear flats. I didn't want surgery (I have a daughter who's five now), so I spent all of that summer walking our brand new puppy in shorts and two inch heels...three if I could manage it. It was quite a look, particularly since I live in the country! I found a shoe repair place that made me rubber wedges to put in the sneakers. The whole situation is manageable now, but I'm still sad that I can't wear Birks.

Liz

Last edited by Red Hook Mom; 01-22-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: wanted to add name
Red Hook Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

TGIF everyone!

I actually got out my Ab-Slider and did a few reps last night! It isn't the elliptical, but better than nothing! (Fiance bought me the elliptical for my b-day last year. I wanted it badly and never got in the habit of using it. I WILL work my way up to it. I can see how it has helped so many here. I am also going to sit down and write out a pros/cons list and I'll just bet those pros outweigh [no pun intended] the cons!!) I do plan to do some walking/light hiking outdoors this weekend, just to get moving!!

I will chime in on the Crocs, too. Love how they feel, hate how they look! I wore them all over Disney World two years ago and my feet felt fine. (Save for a pesky blister on my little toe. I just put moleskin on it and it was fine. Next time I might just wear socks and embarrass the heck out of my teenage sons!) I thought I heard somewhere that they may stop making them?

It has been just a little less than two weeks since I started shooting for a healthier me. I feel better! I don't know it is a state of mind or the physical changes. I've only lost about 4 pounds, but I feel "lighter". Could be the 64 oz. water daily. It's nice to come here and read about everyone's progress. A very encouraging place.

I hope you all have a pleasant weekend. Sounds like lots of fun plans are in the works.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote