Old 08-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Time article that exercise doesn't help ypou lose weight

Has anyone read the article in Time about exercise not helping people lose weight on the average?

I feel it is misleading. Basically when you look closely it says if you exercise and then eat the fattening muffin which has more calories than you just burned off then you won't lose weight.....but the overall implication is that exercise doesn't help you lose weight. And diet is what is important.

How about if they stress exercise BUT DON'T eat the damn muffin and you will lose more weight??????? gads....

Also says that exercise makes people hungrier so they eat more...and I guess the tendency is to eat more than you burn off.

any thoughts?
cheekiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #2  

I think it had been widely accepted that exercise is 1/5 of the equation when it comes to weight loss.
Reccomendations for exercise are generally for you health and well being.Physical health as well as mental health.Decreased risk for depression,cancer,cardiovascular disease,diabetes,osteoporosis.......(many more).
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

related threads:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...s-article.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...-you-thin.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-w...-you-thin.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-...-rebuttal.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-...e-article.html

I think there was one more thread about the LA times rebuttal but I couldn't find it
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #4  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I haven't read the article, but I know for me, exercise is the key. Because when I exercise, caring about what I eat and not wanting to blow all my hard work, goes hand in hand. The exercise may not be the physiological reason why I have lost, but it definitely drives the loss. If I'm not exercising, then I am not eating as well as I could be.

Alas, maybe I'm just saying the same thing as the article (which, again, I haven't read). The wise food choices are why I lose weight, but the exercise enables / drives me to make wiser food choices that I would in its absence.

I have also fallen victim to being really hungry when I am done exercising, and then eating too much afterward. But I work very hard to be mindful of that.

I'm looking forward to going back and reading some of the links later...
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #5  

You are definitly not repeating what the article said.

The reason the article has cause such a stir is because it basically says exercise makes you eat more so you can't lose weight. It does not discuss the possibility of choosing low cal foods so that you can eat more quantity without eating more calories. It says you only have so much will power and if you use the will power to make yourself exercise, you won't have enough remaining will power to chose healthy foods.

In short, exercise makes you eat muffins and doughnuts. It's really just mind-boggling that Time would publish such an illogical article

Last edited by Aclai4067; 08-19-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #6  

What do you mean I am NOT repeating what the article said?

I ALSO said:
"Also says that exercise makes people hungrier so they eat more...and I guess the tendency is to eat more than you burn off."

Anyway- I didn't realize the article caused any stir but it pissed me off because it says things in a really stupid way and the overall implication is don't bother exercising. I am equally pissed off over all the articles that say diet coke makes you gain weight. When really what they are saying is some bozos think because they drank a diet soda that means they can have a big mac, fries and milkshake without reprecussions and NOT that diet coke causes weight gain. And it might cause weight gain but they don't actually do any research on that.

The answer to all seems to calorie count and be accountable for what you eat if you want to lose weight.maintain.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #7  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

i read this article on my recent flight. and the article brought up some good points. A lot of people do hit the gym like crazy but they haven't change their eating habits.

for example i have always been active with exercising. and one point i was exercising every single day. but i've still managed to gain 30lbs. and that was partly because i was still eating like a baby hippo.

but at the same times i think some people will take this article as an excuse to stop exercising.

Last edited by helwa588; 08-19-2009 at 07:10 PM.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/160

Height: 5' 8"

I use a combination of healthy food choices and exercise to lose weight. I hear ya about the baby hippo! LOL I joined a gym and worked out like a fiend but didn't lose one pound. I could, however, bench press a Buick!! LOL

The article was probably written by a very obese MAN who tells himself that exercise doesn't make HIM lose weight and would like to push his excuses in other peoples faces....

... either that or it was written by someone who never had a weight problem in their life...

Articles like that are misleading. Sadly they are taken to heart by those who just became aware that they have an weight problem.... OR... those that are obese and feel like they are powerless to change and now here is one more reason to not bother to try...

I believe that everyone can succeed. With some motivation and support, we all can do it! We all can be healthy and lean mean fighing machines!!
poppyseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #9  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

OK - Maybe ... exercise won't take the weight off. Could very well be ... I tried training for a 10 mile run a few years back and gained weight. I will admit, I haven't read the article. That being said, IMO, the benefits of exercise are the improved shape, ease of movement, better health, and perhaps my favorite, the increase in mental quietude. Working my bod puts my negative voices to sleep. I can, and am, losing weight because I've changed what I ate. But I really enjoy life a lot more when I'm active - I really believe that we were designed to move. A lot.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #10  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekiemonkey View Post

I ALSO said:
"Also says that exercise makes people hungrier so they eat more...and I guess the tendency is to eat more than you burn off."
Take it easy...

I think she was talking to me. My post was right above and I said in it "Alas, maybe I'm just saying the same thing as the article (which, again, I haven't read). "
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #11  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

As the trainers in my gym and various others kept advising me when I would complain about working out without losing weight, it makes you healthier on the inside. My rebuttal is that I want it to show on the outside as well! I am one of those who gets super hungry after a workout - and I seldom actually feel "hunger pangs". However I believe in the combination of exercise to increase your metabolism and burn more calories plus following a lower calorie diet and eating healthier foods is the way to go. And yes, it used to be easy to justify eating chinese food or pizza, because I had put in a good workout that day. Which is self-defeating! I need the exercise as much for stress relief and to help with my insomnia as I do for weight loss : )
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekiemonkey View Post
I was refering to the post above me. Where she said she hoped she wasn't just repeating what the article had said because she had not read it yet
Old 08-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #13  

Aclai- thanks for clarifying and thanks for all the links. I follow Tom Venuto's program loosely so will be interested in what his response was.

Helwa- that is exactly what I thought---it will make some people not even try to exercise
Old 08-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #14  

I feel better after reading Tom Venuto's response. It addressed what upset me in the Time article.

http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archiv...es_the_fit.php
Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I didn't find the article upsetting myself. It helped by reminding me that it's just as important to watch what I eat even when I exercise regularly. I'm one of those who can easily rationalize an extra slice of pizza or a muffin a little too often "because I was so good today and exercised" It helps to have it in black and white-hey you've only burned 150 calories in that workout today and you've just ate 500

So, when I read the article I took away that it's as important for weight loss purposes to watch what goes into my body in addition to exercising to build muscle and get fit. Maybe it's because I'm familiar with all the good benefits of exercise that I didn't pick up on the "don't exercise" vibe.

I was in a beginning women running group a few years ago to help with weightloss plateau and none of us lost any weight and a few gained. After our 30-60 minutes jogs as a very slow pace we'd all meet back at the starbucks for coffee and goodies. I'd only drink coffee, but some of those women really chowed down on those pastries and they were the ones who gained weight.

I guess it boils down to why we exercise, is it only to lose weight or is it for overall health and well being? Just thinking out loud, don't mean to offend anyone.
Sarah in MD
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote