Old 09-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #16  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

When I walk regularly, I lose weight. When I stop walking, even if I do not change my eating habits, I gain weight. So, I guess I disagree. Even if you at the same number of calories every day, obviousy burning some of them is going to help. Walking may make you hungrier, but it also usually makes me not want to undo the good I just did, so I tend to eat better.
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #17  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I read that article, & I have to say... it made sense to me.

But then, I've done "tests" on myself to try to get to the bottom line regarding this very thing. I've tried exercising without dieting, dieting without exercising, and both exercising and dieting combined.

They have all 3 worked for me... the dieting alone was easy in my 20's, I could lose 5-10 pounds in a month just by ignoring Domino's! In my 30's I found exercising to be the magic bullet. But now... in my 40's... I have discovered that it takes BOTH to get the fat to budge. And even THEN, sometimes it just.... doesn't.

HOWEVER, I have had more than ONE trainer at different gyms tell me to "diet to lose weight" before starting an exercise program... especially weight lifting, because as we all know, muscle weighs more than fat. Still, at this time in my life, nothing is working. For instance, last spring, I gave up ALL sweets & other snack foods, including sodas - & ate a very healthy balanced diet, and kept my calories between 1200-1400 per day...and I walked 30 min a day & lifted light weights. I LOST ZERO. That's right, big fat ZERO pounds.

It was very discouraging.

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 09-24-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: forget to say! ....
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 209/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Beach Patrol---all the research I have done and my own experience would suggest lifting light weights is a major waste of time. If you want results you have to lift heavy weights. Check out the ladies who lift on 3FC for more info.

Also- I have recently experienced some good results with adding intense cardio through interval training. I also have to minimize my carb intake and eat only complex carbs. I will gain 2-3 pounds in 2 days if I eat too many carbs.

But it looks like you have lost 20 pounds so something is working right.

Check out Tom Venuto's "Burn the Fat Build the Muscle"....I found it very helpful.
cheekiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Speaking from personal experience, when I tried to lose weight by exercising, I gained instead. I did get much hungrier, rationalized eating more, and obviously it ended up being too much more.

My current gut feel, though, is that exercise is key for long term weight loss and maintenance, along with appropriate calorie restriction. Otherwise, if you are skinny (without muscle) and sedentary, you need to follow a very restrictive WOE, one that is unrealistic for most folks to maintain long term.

Last edited by yoyoma; 10-04-2009 at 07:16 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 234/232.5/165

Height: 5'-5"

Default It seems this article focuses on people who pull the wool over their own eyes

which is often most people that are overweight. We, the overweight, barter with ourselves all the time. If I walk a mile I can eat a doughnut and STILL lose weight...well of course not. Most overweight people know how to lose weight better than anyone - speaking for myself, I live and breathe the fact I need to lose weight and I certainly know that eating a doughnut and barely exercising will only maintain my weight at best, not lower it.

I haven't read the article, just your posts but it's annoying that somebody would waste good paper and ink on such a subject as that.

Somebody on here wrote about how good exercise is for you psychologically. Plus there is no doubt that exercising your heart muscle is good for you, not bad.

Time to take my own advice! I've just started my weight loss journey but I very much remember how upbeat exercise made me feel. I know I'll be an even better mom if I take the time for myself and exercise - I'll have energy and a much happier mood - now how can that not be a good thing?! LOl

Tracy
TracyLewWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #21  
Real Me in here Somewhere

S/C/G: 194.8/155/132?

Height: 5'1"

hmmm...it's all a bit confusing, but for me that by walking 2 miles a day that I feel sooo much better about myself. Thankfully I don't trade exercise for food...I think I'll save that for the athletes who are in training lol

I have recently started using 5 pound weights during some floor exercises...I think someone posted it's a complete waste of time...Does anyone know more about this?? Cause I'd really hate to be using them for nothing...ugh!
GivTLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #22  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Strength training is working for me, GivTLC. I'm extremely cautious about it because I've always injured myself in the past. So I found the smallest baby routine I could -- a video called 10 Minute Solutions: Target Toning for Beginners. With my Netflix account, I can watch it for free on my computer under the Watch Instantly tab.

I do one 10 Minute workout 4 days a week. For the Arms one, I've started with one pound weights. But, I already bought two pound weights so that I can move up when I feel more confident.

I look and feel thinner at this weight than I did the last two times I was here. I've also noticed that I'm using more quad muscle and less knee joint when I walk up steps -- which has to be good.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #23  
on a journey

When i don't exercise, i don't lose weight, plain and simple. i don't care how little i eat, i will not lose. Exercise helps my metabolism perk up so that i can shed that weight.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote