Old 07-31-2006, 03:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.4/267.2/200

Height: 5'7

Default frustrated and plateaued (?)

Oaky i know you will plateau at some point but i have never lost any more weight than this. i did weight watchers years ago and lost 30 lbs. but gained it plus some back. now, i've lost 30 lbs. on my own and have plateaued. i am currently doing a water aerobics class 2x weekly and my treadmill and walk away the pounds tapes (2 & 3 mile) with some ab work. last week, with the exception of 1 day, my calories stayed in my 1500 -1800 category and i exercised 6 days. but i gained 1.6 lbs. i am frustrated and need any advice on how to break this and see weight loss again. i know i shouldn't focus on the number but i haven't ever seen myself get past this number so its hard to imagine breaking it. sorry so long. thanks for letting me vent. any advise is appreciated. thanks in advance! shanta
nicole79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

How long have you plateaued? A few weeks or so is perfectly normal.
Are you having constipation issues?
Are you resting enough?
What is your weight? Are you needing to cut a few calories? (don't yet...wait until you determine if that is necessary or just a regular plateau)
Are you drinking lots of water?
Do you measure yourself? Are you losing inches?
Are you taking in more carbs and junk calories?
Are you at your body's ideal already?

BTW, you are sooooo much better than me on excercise. WTG!
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:04 PM   #3  

How long have you plateaued? A few weeks or so is perfectly normal.
i have plateaued for 2 weeks

Are you having constipation issues?
no, no problems there

Are you resting enough?
i think so depends on my 1 1/2 yr. olds teething issues

What is your weight? Are you needing to cut a few calories? (don't yet...wait until you determine if that is necessary or just a regular plateau)
i weigh 276 lbs. i am eating 1500-1800 calories a day

Are you drinking lots of water?
yes, yes and yes!!

Do you measure yourself? Are you losing inches?
i haven't measured in a month. clothes fit better though

Are you taking in more carbs and junk calories?
not too bad on carbs. most of the calories are nutrious. i do allow myself something fattening and sweet 1x a week

Are you at your body's ideal already?
i don't think so

BTW, you are sooooo much better than me on excercise. WTG!
thank you so much!!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:15 PM   #4  

I think you are at a normal plateau. Keep up the good work. Just eat nutritious, keep drinking the water and help that baby sleep so you can sleep. This may be a case of needing to measure yourself. Some people are losing inches (especialy when they excercise) instead of pounds for a period of time. Give it a try. I'm curious.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think it's normal too! We don't lose weight in a linear fashion, and sometimes it just goes up!

However, I think at 276, you could easily lose on MORE calories/day! (I know it sounds paradoxical, but it isn't!! With exercise, maybe at 2000 cals/day -- I know everyone is different but people who weigh a lot need to eat a lot to exist! I am at around 200 now and still losing at 1800 or so cals/day, tho I have been at the same weight or gained for 2 weeks -- that's normal.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #6  

2000 calories would be fine with me but for now i'll stick with 1500-1800. on days when i'm extremely hungary i'll eat 2000 but this works so far. maybe if i increased i would get off this plateau. thanks for all the advice and for being so encouraging.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:21 PM   #7  

I have a range of calories too. I try not to hit the top too often, but 1-2 times a week is okay. The rest of the time I typically hit midrange. Then occasionally I don't eat as much (but I do have a min because we don't want to start this trend). I've been plateaued for nearly 2 weeks. Because my stomach hurts, I think I'm "stopped up." This is a problem I've had for 7 years so I try not to read too much into the scale on these weeks. I lost 20lbs. Then I stopped (grief) for 4 months. Then I decided about a month ago to get back on track. Well I had gained 4lbs during grief time (not too shabby but lbs I have to take off anyhow) and so During this month I didn't lose rapidly like I did initially the last time, but I did lose the 4lbs. Now I'm up 2lbs. Yeah, it's disheartening to have it done in the beginning but at the same time I think I know the source and I've lost weight several times in my life so I know it is a slow process (I gain it back when I get pregnant). I'm also confident as long as I stay motivated and keep plugging away, it will happen. There are times when we have to look at what we are doing and tweak it. Most of the time we just have to be patient.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:56 PM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Plateaus are normal and frustrating as ****. I was on a plateau at 172 pounds for about 3 weeks in July. I didn't change anything and shortly my weight started falling off again. This morning I was at 162. Please don't get discouraged, you are doing really well and you can do this!!
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I knows those plateaus well. Try changing exercises, sometimes my body gets used to the same routine and i will stop walking and start pilates etc. It helps get me over the hump.

Also, check your "time of the month"...i WILL NOT lose the week before or during that time. Then it just falls off the week after. It seems to be different for everyone.

Also, just as a last ditch thought, have you changed any meds lately? Like stopped a "water pill". Or any kind of antidepressant can make you gain, like Lexapro...causes insulin to go higher and can affect weight loss.

Probably just a regular resting point for losing weight...my best advise is to change up your exercise routine...you are doing a lot but you might want to drop one or two of your routines and start one or two new ones to replace them.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote