Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:50 AM   #1  
Dancing those pounds away

Default Old Hens - 40+ and ready to LOSE !!! #72

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:52 AM   #2  
Dancing those pounds away

Okay... again no time to post.... but got a good laugh from Terri.

I do want to say thank you for everyone's kind words ... and ...
thank you for all of your great words of wisdom too.
We all make a GREAT TEAM.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:22 AM   #3  
Hang In There

Terri, I'd like to address your subject of "we talk too much about stuff other than weight loss" YES WE DO!!! andn that's what makes us special, and what keeps us coming back and trying and starting over again and AgainAND AGAIN I've been part of many other threads and several other sites through the years, but this is the one I keep up with and keep coming back to. Why? Because I feel all of you are FRIENDS and even the one's I haven't met personally are like old friends. I know you personalities, you work and play interests, sometimes even your thoughts! So m any times during the day something will come up and I say to my self Terri would like that, or 2Cute would die if she saw me doing this, or wonder what Lillion would think about this? And even though oleAlvin laughes when I mention my "weightloss" friends, this group keeps me semi-ontrack! I want to come in and brag when I do good and especially when I'm being focused and loosing, and I want to come in and vent and sometimes even cry when things are not going so well.
All that said, I guess what I am trying to say is, this is who we are, and if this is not what someone needs, there are many other threads even here in 3FC, and now even in the 300+ section that sticks strickly on weightloss. so it that is what someone needs maybe this is not the thread for them. But for me...this is exactly what I need.

As for the promises..I promise to get my head in the right place this week and get fired up about weight loss! I have to repeat one of yours!!!

Sorry everyone else I spent all my time already, and don't have time for anything else. Just let me say you are all in my thoughts and prayers, everyday. And even when I don't stop to write, I check in at least twice a day. When I get up and when I start to bed. You are all important to me.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:59 AM   #4  
MTM

Morning my biddies!!

Whew! I don't know how to start a thread and didn't quite know what to do about posting!! I *think* now that I'm a little more awake I could have figured it out!! thanks 2cute!

Everything seems to be moving along ok I guess...dd seems to be hanging in there. She has many moments of just immense sadness, and it breaks my heart because I can't fix it. He has his PET scan today, they have to visit a sperm bank tomorrow, Thursday they get the results from the bone marrow biopsy (big here). AND finally some good news! Friday he is being interviewed for a full time position as a library aide at one of the areas really nice school districts. I'm hoping it's time for a little good luck for him and dd. Again, !!!

We finished our buckeyes yesterday, today I need to make orange creme fudge and finish sewing her "money bag" for the bride dance. Don't know if you all do the same things in your neck of the woods. I will take some pictures of this "cookie table" and post them somewhere...it is amazing how many cookies people bring! Also have a sew to belt loop down for ds's favorite pair of jeans. Getting my hair trimmed--I haven't actually had it trimmed professionally in more than two years, so I'm looking forward to a nice trim. And, of course, still cleaning. I haven't found my other list yet, so I made up a new one that isn't nearly as good as my first. I'm positive that's why I'm not as motivated...I need that other list. Can you blame me??

Had a decent food day yesterday--of course, if I could NOT get up at night and raid the kitchen, I'd have had a great day. I have a really strange idea, and who better to throw it by than my biddie friends? Here goes...we have a refrigerator and also a freezer outside which is where my husband keeps his "stash". I, of course, go outside and raid it in my weaker moments--read night--so here's what I'm thinking. I'm thinking of buying a bike lock for the refrigerator, chain it through the handles, and have husband and ds keep the damn thing locked! They can hide the keys then I can't get in there to binge. Weird, huh? I just do NOT have the willpower to stay out of it, so this make perfect sense to me. Does it sounds too goofy? I'm really getting desperate, and I hate to make him not have his treats because I'm a wimp...may run out to True Value today and look for a lock. Hanging my head in shame here...

Terri~~Interesting about the other thread closing down. Which one is it? I *do* like the idea of making promises though. I'd like to start to journal, but, honestly, I don't know if I could ever go back and read what I've journaled. Weird again, huh? Anyway, here are my promises for this week...

1. I am going to continue working on my willpower to stop this drat night eating.

2. I will add 5 minutes to my exercise routine.

3. I'll finish this cleaning, try really hard to keep my emotions in check at the wedding, then look forward to leaving for vacation on July 13!!

Thanks for a great idea Terri. And I'm so sorry about your sibling situation. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters...I have always gotten along really well with my oldest sister, and am getting along okay with the other sister, though she likes to advise the others of us what we need to do and how to run our lives. My mother always said she has a good heart, which she does, but sometimes I *really* get annoyed with her, and find I just need a break from her phone calls for a while! I get along pretty well with both my brothers -- we all live in the same area, whereas the sisters are out of state. My brothers and I allow each other a LOT of space, but I know that if I ever needed them they'd be there for me in a heartbeat. I'm really lucky, I know, that we all get along so well.

Valerie~~You're in Raleigh, huh? That's the area we're heading for vacation. I love it down there except for the awful summer temps. Isn't that funny how eating stuff with sugar tastes just so yucky now! That is one thing that amazes me--how much my tastes have changed. I don't even know at this point if I could get through a fast food burger (though there are times when I'd sure like to give it a good try!). Before I started this, I'd stop often on my way home from work and get a double cheese and fries, then come home and eat dinner in an hour. Thanks goodness those days are over...I know I'll never be able to go back to those ways of eating. I hope you can post every day while you're on the road--I really enjoy reading your posts! You are always so up and always--ALWAYS--make me smile.

Baby Steps~~Good job on 4 weeks OP!! Celebrate the good things you accomplish, and just promise yourself that you won't give up even though you slip up. Don't ever throw in the towel...this is too important for all of us.

Lilion~~You just sound like you had a really really wonderful time at your faire. That's just great and I know you needed the time away from the office. I'm sorry about your brother situation, too. My brother (the one I'm closest to) and I went through several rough years, and I know we're both really glad we're back together. He and I have always gotten along the best, even as small children. You really do have to let the past stay in the past...I have learned this from my situation with him.

Ruth~~ Ruth! Any more creepy lights out there? Be careful now! And good job on making it through the weekend!

Karen~~Did you get your grocery shopping done yesterday? We went to Sam's Sunday and spent $157 mostly on food! I do really like the meat there, however they were out of the good ground beef and my beloved hamburger patties! Husband has to go out Thursday and pick up his tux for the wedding, so I'm going to have him stop then and get the ground meat and burgers, plus a couple of their pies for my company this weekend.

Krista~~Good luck when you get your implant done. I needed a lot of dental work done last year and the beginning of this year...our insurance picked up some, but I still had to pay quite a bit out of pocket. This year I'm going to look into the medical savings account, too. It just makes good money sense. Good job on the weight loss!! I need to force myself on the scale today. I've been avoiding it because I have not had good nights. But I *will* get on it this morning.

Big to everyone I've missed, and to our newcomers. We love to answer questions and hear about you!

Gotta get my butt in gear and get on my bike or I'm going to run out of time. Have good OP days everyone, and KEEP POSTING! You all know how much I rely on reading your posts--helps me keep myself going throughout the day.

Charlotte
Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 AM   #5  
MTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageoldie
When I get up and when I start to bed. You are all important to me.
Barbara~~That is exactly how I feel. Thanks for putting it into such nice words.

Charlotte
Old 06-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Okay, I get the bozo award for the day. I wondered what the heck happened to my thread when I checked in here at work. I meant well.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:28 AM   #7  

Talking WOW! Two posts in two days!

Good Morning Ladies!

Terri: Forgive me! But I laughed at least a pound off my hiney at your starting a new thread! Do it again! You know, there is a farmer's market here in two different locations twice a week from May to October...I just can't remember what days! I really, really need to go. Right now the worst part of our diet is we have no food in the house! We just ran out of everything and haven't had time to go to the store. I've been to the KC RenFest many times. In the past they have been a sponser of our little festival - using us as a demo. However, since we started charging admission (a huge $1 a head) they won't do it anymore. So now we have to hire our own performers. No biggie, since we paid as much to transport and feed the ones we were getting from KC as we did in fees this year. But that does mean I'm no longer considered a VIP at the KC festival. No more free entry and drinks! I don't know when I'll go back now. It's a great festival, but very expensive. You said "Just think - by next May, you could be having to make a whole new small wardrobe for that ONDERLAND sized body." Can you believe that never occured to me? Even with my regain, I've lost 80 lbs in just over a year. I could be a GOAL if I get back on track by this time next year. I could actually be UNDER what my driver's license says. How amazing is that??? Thank you!

2Cute: Once again, your post struck home. There really is something to dislike about everything. I dislike exercise - but I do like how it makes me feel. I dislike counting points - but I like being thinner. Thanks.

Barbara: I agree with you completely. If we only talked about weight loss, I wouldn't feel nearly as comfortable here! I really do think of you all as my friends! I bet we'd all get along great if we met up in person!

Charlotte: Don't you dare feel bad about your idea of locking up hubby's treats! I think it's an excellent idea! My own DH is doing this with me so there are limited treats in the house anyway, but my DS, who is 11, has to have some sometimes. They go up in the top of the cupboard where I try to forget about them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Don't think of it as a lack of self control - it's not like HE decided to lock them up! If you do it, then you are the one that IS in control...you are controlling yourself by whatever means necessary...Nothing wrong with that! Continuing hugs and good vibes to you and your family.

Okay ladies! June has left my house, my job and myself a mess! So, here's what I'm going to do!

1. Together with DH who has to help - I will accomplish three house-keeping items each night this week! (like dusting, dishes, etc.)

2. I will write at least four judgments every day until I get caught up!

3. I WILL GO SHOPPING! I will buy VEGETABLES and FRUIT! I will COOK instead of eat out! I will STOP eating sweets and fats! And, just as important, I will start getting exercise again, even if it's just walking further to work and within the next week I WILL GET BACK ON THE INFERNAL MACHINE!

THERE! Say a little prayer for me!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:04 PM   #8  

Smile

Hello ladies, Ok, Terri I am not saying a word. You were probably still half asleep, right?

Well, I haven't looked out that window at night since the spooky lights, I may never look out there again. All I know for sure is that I didn't imagine them!

I agree, if this thread was just about losing weight I probably wouldn't bother posting...how boring would that be? I like our little hen party. I love hearing what everyone is doing, and all the humorous situations we get into. Just good clean fun.

Lilion, I am happy to see you back posting again. glad to hear you enjoyed the festival, but I am aso glad you are back. I miss your sense of humor when you are away. Good luck on catching up with the judgements.

2cute, thanks for getting us on the right thread. I came in early and saw the thread, but you know me, I can't or won't try to start the new thread. I probably could if I took the time to try, but it is so much easier to follow the leader. LOL! It is so good to see you with so much determination...you make me try harder....you know follow the leader.

Charllote, No more spooky lights. That list that you misplaced will magically apppear when you don't need it any more, that is murphys law. Well, that is not it but it should be. I will keep my fingers crossed for your sil too. Hope the interview goes well.

Barb, yep, as I said I agree with what you said. We are about more than our numbers on the scale and what we eat.

I don't think I have a list of what I will do to improve myself....hummmmm, just about anything I can do to lose this extra weight will be a good thing. I think maybe just reminding myself everyday that I need to think before I put anything in my mouth. Tasting as you cook can add a lot of calories that you might not count, but they do add up!

We have been getting a lot of fresh veggies out of the garden and they are so good. I am getting a little tired of green beans though. I never get tired of tomatoes. The eggplant has been good too. I baked some this morning with onions, salt, pepper and a little olive oil drizzled on them. That is part of lunch. I had better get myself up from here and go and finish cooking. For all the newbies...we have our big meal at lunch. We started doing that when my mother moved in with us, she always had hers at lunch. I tell you the truth I like it better that way. I feel so much better with a light meal at night. If I had to go in that kitchen to cook at night, I think someone would go hungry!

Ta for now biddie buddies, Ruth...one old hen
Old 06-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 313/196.4/148

Height: 5/3.5

Good Morning dear ladies.....2cute...you are so very right...it is possible to find somthing not to like about everything...and since I usually consider myself a very positive person (not enough time in the world to focus on the negative) I'll really try to include the one area in my life where I tend to think negatively...and that is my ability to lose weight and keep it off.....Thanks for the reminder that life is way too short to be a pesimist.

Barbara...you really "hit the nail on the head" about why I have fallen in love with this particular part of 3FC....I spent a long time on another site (that I had to pay for) and never found the comraderie that I find here. I think most of us "know" in our heads everything or almost everything there is about dieting and weightloss...and what we don't know can easily be found...what is missing, at least for me, is the type of loveing support group that you ladies have formed. I am so delighted that you have welcomed me and allowed me to join such a remarkable group of women. Like friends, we can encourage each other, give well placed "kicks" where needed and support each other in all phases of our lives....I belong to an online quilting group as well...and I am "at home" with one much like this...yes we share an interest in making quilts but we talk about everything under the sun...thats what makes it so very special...

Well the grandkids (who can be too loud for this old lady at times as well) need lunch....they had swimming lessons all morning and a large snack...but I'm woefully late in feeding them again....So everyone else please accept my hugs and know that I think of each of you every day...this really is a special place.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #10  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Question Question for the group

Good morning!

I also wanted to make comment on chatting about "other" things. Since this was the first weight loss site I had ever visited, I really didn't know any "better". I had no preconceived notions of what it "should" be. That being said, I couldn't think of something that would help more. As I mentioned in an earlier reply to Calgon, we are trying to make life changes and that includes how we deal with life. I would say it's a good bet that a lot of us are emotional eaters. What we need to do is find out other ways to deal with those emotions and the situations that bring them up. That's what I see here. I think we just need to be conscience of what it is that we are doing.

**One thing that I would like to find out from everyone is when you encounter the situations you speak of, what has changed for you in handling them. Have you been able to look at certain things mpore objectively and change the way you "react"?

On food, I want to get more mixed greens in my diet.(mustard, turnip, collards) I have tried on a number of occasions, but find them to be very strong. I bought a mixed bag of prewashed and cut greens. As soon as I opened them, the smell almost made me gag I know they are soooo good for me, but I can't seem to come up with a way to prepare them well. I keep thinking that if I can just find the "right" way for me, it would be easier. Any suggestions?

Have a great day!
Old 06-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #11  

Karen I'm not sure I understand what you are asking here:
Quote:
**One thing that I would like to find out from everyone is when you encounter the situations you speak of, what has changed for you in handling them. Have you been able to look at certain things mpore objectively and change the way you "react"?
As for the greens - I don't like them either. The best ideas I have is to use them fresh and stir-fry them with other things (put them in last just long enough to heat thru and not get all mushy and icky) or to put them in quiche like you would spinich. I just don't eat them .
Old 06-27-2006, 11:15 PM   #12  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Lilion and anyone else I confused ,

I and a number of people I've known in the past believe that in order to get where we are (very overweight), we have acted/reacted to situations in our life in one particular way. Many times this involves such destructive actions as overeating/binging, eating unhealthy foods, using food and certain behaviors in general to "comfort" us through what we perceive as "difficult" times. I think this is probably the definition of being an "emotional" eater.

If I assume that losing weight is a lifestyle change then I also have to assume that how I deal with difficulties in my life that may be triggers for my emotions and therefore my eating, has to change.

After losing about 120 pounds I never found the euphoria, good life or what ever people want to call it, that so many experience. As a result, the weight came back. I found out after the fact that there was more to work on than just the weight, but at no time was that addressed. It was always the feeling that if I could just lose the weight everything would be ok.

In my past it was very important for me to "be" a certain way to please people in my life. I've found that in order to be heathy I can no longer do that. I can't always worry about what other people may think of my actions. I have to do what is healthy for me. In that pursuit my reactions to situations have changed.

It is an inspiration for me to hear how people have changed over time in their journey of weight loss, other than the loss itself. How have they gotten stronger. How do they react differently now to challenges than they did in the past.

A bit more winded explanation, but maybe some helpful background as to why my interest. I hope that helps.

I'd love to hear from anyone!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:43 AM   #13  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi Everyone! Just checking in real quick to let you know that I'm still alive and well and living in Michigan!

We had severe thunderstorms with lightening here today. I left the computer on and took my chances. So far, everything is ok.

I played "showgirl" tonight for the movie Superman Returns. I took my niece with me so that Honey didn't have to be out late and go to work in the morning. The 10:00 showtimes were sold out, all three screens so it was pretty busy.

I have to be a "showgirl" again tomorrow at two theatres so that should keep me busy and off the streets. I'm going to print out these last couple of threads and take my highlighter with me so that I can catch up in-between showtimes. I feel like I am so far behind.

Thursday mom is having her other eye done. She had a cataract removed in May and this will be the second one. She won't know until tomorrow what time we have to be at the hospital. I'm hoping it won't be real early. Then Friday she has a follow-up appointment with the Dr. Again, busy enough to keep me off the streets.

Food has been horrible. My SIL sent home a bunch of left-overs from my nephew's graduation party. Yesterday was Honey and my 30th Wedding Anniversary. He brought home red roses for me. What a sweetie!!! It was really funny. The "baby" gave us a gift certificate for a really good steakhouse for Christmas. It's been on the bulletin board in my office since then. So Honey hadn't said anything about dinner so I grabbed the gift certificate and started to reach for the phone to make reservations. In the meantime, Honey IM'd me and said he was leaving work and was I hungry. I said, "yeah, why?" He told me he was taking me out. I told him I'd go ahead and hang up the phone then. He asked if I was calling for pizza. I told him no, that I was just going to make reservations for dinner. So he came home and I was dressed in my new dress and sandals and he went upstairs. Much to my surprise he came down wearing his suit. So he asks, "where were you going to make reservations for?" I said, "why? Where are we going?" He didn't answer but started down the stairs and I asked him if it had anything to do with my office. He said it did and I told him that we were going to the same place. I know that was long winded but it shows you how in tune with each other we both are. We came home and went upstairs and watched TV the rest of the night lamenting the BIG dinner we had eaten. But dang!!! That prime rib was EXCELLENT!!!!!

Ok, girlie girls, I've gotta get to bed. Movies all day tomorrow are going to put me to sleep. See you all soon. Love ya bunches!!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:11 AM   #14  
Hang In There

not much going on around my house, but for those of you keeping score at the office.., never fear that things are getting boring!!! Tomorrow is the big day we find out if the "prima donna" medical assistant returns to work. She left 10 days ago on vacation and said she would decided "while she was gone" if she was going to return. (in other words if she could find another job) Don't you wish you had a job that you could tell you'd work there if you couldn't find anything better??? oh well... moving on ... one of the reasearch coordinators gave her notice and Friday will be her last day, and a guy in medical records finally got canned yesterday. So that 2 1/2 down for the week. Well, I guess I need to get dressed so I don't miss anything today!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning,

The beautiful mornings are making it hard for me to be up and about. I'd rather relax and snooze in the chair.

I did get out and walk last night. I don't think I did 20 mins. I am going to have to find my sport watch so I can see what I'm doing. I did make a trip down the driveway, backup, over past the barn, around the back yard to the driveway again. I did the driveway twice. The dog ran beside me but he was huffing pretty good. It was kind of cool because just to the north of us, there was a thunderstorm going through. Which made it very still and closed in so hence the huffing. It was a start!

Tonight we're picking stuff up at storage so that will take all evening. I'm trying to get DH to go ahead and get it done so that we don't have to pay another month. I also know us - if we pay for July, we'll be trying to work on it on the 27th in a rush. Might as well rush now when its not as hot.

Dinner time food has been so much better since we moved. DH did BBQ chicken on the grill last night. That and a heap of veggies was a delicious and satisfying meal. I decided to give Schwann's a try. A bit pricey but they have very good frozen veggies. I'm hooked because we've had more veggies the last couple of weeks because of not having to rely on finding fresh veggies and all the prep work.

Great, there is a segment on the Today show about Starbuck's new products. 550 calories for a banana creme frappuccino. Just what we need. Just what our kids need too.

I have to say that the advertising world and businesses are a huge contributor to our being overweight. It seems the harder we try to get healthy, the harder they fight for us to be fat, diabetic, and dying from heart attacks.

Karen - I am going to ponder your question. Its a great question and a good topic.

Thin - Happy Anniversary! That is so sweet about your DH. Enjoy those roses!

Great posts yesterday. Thank you for confirming that we're okay and no one is frustrated with the thread.

Better get dressed and find something for breakfast.

Have a great OP day!

Promise for the day -

More walking, more water, and not forget to journal.

No molten chocolate cake at lunch today. I'm taking two groups of emps out to lunch as a thank-you, morale booster. Italian buffet.
Closed Thread