Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 11:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ December Exercise Goals!!

Welcome!

Please join in if you would like to set up some accountability for an exercise goal -- whether it's walking or swimming or housework! Tell us how many MINUTES you want to exercise each month and then come here and talk about it!

Here's my story:

I have found it difficult to meet my exercise goals. First I tried to set performance goals -- walk this far or walk this fast, but I was getting discouraged by my (lack of) progress.

Then I decided I would try to exercise so many times a week (5!). Sounds great, but it didn't always happen, and again I felt like a failure if the goal wasn't met (some weeks it was only twice!). And exercising 3 or 4 times a week left the question: what if I exercised less than 30 minutes (my usual goal/session). Did that count?

So, for November, I tried something different: minutes/month. I looked at Sept and Oct and saw that I had walked 460 or so minutes on the treadmill each month. So, in November I set an exercise goal of 500 minutes of walking on the treadmill. I do other exercises, but I don't let myself count it for this purpose. In December I plan to add other kinds of weight/strength training, but will not yet set any goals until I see how that plays out.

I have not yet set my December treadmill goal, but I'll post it here when I do!
Old 11-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #2  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Just have a minute to post and say hi before I go out of town til Sun night/ Monday - Going to see my Dad up in Western NY.

Based on 30 min a day, 3x a week for 4 weeks, I'm going to set my sights on 400 minutes. I really should be walking far more than that - I kinda hope I even double it, but then I'll just feel better! I'll be out of town on the truck again for the first 3 weeks of the month and getting that exercise in will be a lot tougher, but I can still make it up for the month when I get home if I don't set the goal TOO high for the month.

SO, there it is, 400 minutes to start with in December!
-Valerie
Old 11-25-2005, 01:33 PM   #3  

Welcome, Valerie! You're going to be walking, right? What will count as "walking" for you -- work-out walking, not the grocery store? Or will it differ when you driving the truck?

What kind of truck do you drive? What kind of routes do you go?

I know what you mean about hoping to outpace your goal, but also not being sure how much you can get done with all the other life stuff going on!

Part of what hampers me is PT 3x/week. It's hard for me to squeeze everything in! AND, I hope to start going to the gym with my husband to start other workouts... so I'm leaning toward keeping my treadmill goal to 500, but upping other kinds of exercise.

Have a great visit with your Dad!
Old 11-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #4  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

When I can I get out of the truck and walk as briskly as possible for 30 mins or so. It's hard to keep up with it when we're on the road, because if we have 2500 miles to go, the truck doesn't stop. drive eat sleep drive eat sleep... That's how I put the last 70 pounds ON. Also, sometimes when we are stopped in between loads, I might just be exhausted and sleep instead, or it might not be a safe area or time of day.

At the moment, the coach at Curves told me NOT to do the TM on the same days I was doing my Curves weight training workout. I forget why, but I think he might be worried I'll overdo it. He keeps telling me to be patient. I AM patient, I'm just highly competitive, even with myself, and this is my LIFE I'm working to save, so I'm a little intense most of the time when I'm working out. I put everything into it. If I DO get on the treadmill on a Curves day, I'll just keep it to 12 minutes or something maybe. Like you said, fitting EVERYthing in is tough, so mostly I'll just do one or the other.

Also, on the truck my hubby has this rubber band thingy for some resistance strength training. I think I'll try to get some work done with that while I'm on the truck, too.

I'm commited to not losing the fitness I've gained in the last month or so by working out. I'll treadmill if I'm home for the weekend or something, and mallwalk or try to find somewhere else to power walk as much as possible. There will be days I can't do it, but I REALLY want this, and hubby is supportive.

We drive a straight truck - It has a semi-tractor in front, but instead of a fifth-wheel to pull a trailer, the frame has been stretched and there's a 24' box. We're 40' overall length, which is the legal limit, and 13' tall (where 13' 6" is the legal limit and usual height for most semis.) We go all over the U.S. and occasionally Canada. We rarely know where our next trip will take us. I'll be getting back on the truck next Monday afternoon =( I'm hoping we stay on the East Coast on weekends, so maybe we can get home some.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:39 PM   #5  

Valerie -- Wow! That makes it hard to plan, doesn't it??! Not a conducive lifestyle for weight loss. Are you able to plan your food okay when you're on the road? Though it sounds like you get to spend a lot of time with your husband -- that at least must be nice!

I think I'll be doing one thing or another too. One thing I LIKE about not tying myself to 30 minute workouts is that I'm more likely just to DO it if I tell myself it just has to be 20 minutes, or so. Usually by then I just stick out the full 30... oh, the mind games we play!

Good luck with your visit and the truck. I'll try not to let this thread get too buried if it's just the 2 of us!!!
Old 11-25-2005, 03:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi!

I'd LOVE to commit to exercise! Since my knee is SO much better, I've been TRYING to walk on the park trail. So I will commit to 20 minutes (all I can do at a time without the knee hurting), 4 times a week to start. That's 80 minutes a week which is better than I've done in years. My ortho guy says I have bone on bone and some days it hurts worse than others -

So, here we go girls!!

Old 11-25-2005, 04:43 PM   #7  

Great, Lori! So, 80 minutes a week, want to also say 350ish for the whole month? (sounds bigger that way )... there's about 3 1/2 weeks in December!
Old 11-25-2005, 05:55 PM   #8  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

I'll join in! Lately I've been walking 1-2 times a week for 20 minutes at a time (I know, slacker here) plus doing my WATP video once or twice a week (30 min walk). I think I'm going to set my goal similar to that, just to get in gear. So.. I'll say my total walking goal is 400 minutes.

I'm also going to attempt to do a stretching goal, 10 minutes a day, five days a week - 250 minutes total. Next month I'm going to add in a weight goal, but I think I'll start with the basics for now!
Old 11-25-2005, 07:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 420/385/215

Height: 5'7

Default I'm wanting in on this

I want in! I will walk 3x's a week for at least 30 mins between December 5th - 31st (actuall full weeks) and I will try to get in one day of walking between December 1st - 3rd since its a short week to begin with.
That should put me at 390 mins
Old 11-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #10  
Losing for Life!

O.K. Count me in, I am going to start my RS tapes on Monday Morning and I am hoping to do at least 15 mins 5 days a week. I hope to get up to more minutes by the following week but it has been so long since I did any aerobic exercise that I don't know what I will be able to accomplish. So 15 x 5 = 75 minutes for week one!
Old 11-26-2005, 09:12 AM   #11  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

OK Girls. I think this is just what I need. I just want to make a couple of different goals

Swimming (aqua fit and running) 4 hrs per week= 840 minutes
General Exercise (biking, ski machine, taebo) = 80 min/week = 280 minutes

Let's DO It!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2005, 10:42 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

I would like to set my goals for exercise, 30 min each weekday, either aerobics and toning exercises (both with 1lb wrist weights) or walking FAST-ish for 30 mins up and over hills (I live in derbyshire, it's VERY hilly) with a 30lb toddler in his buggy. At the week-end I will try to fit in some country walks, weather permitting but not on both days, I have a big house to clean! Does that count?
How do we 'map' this, just say 'I have/not reached my goal this week/month?

good luck,
have fun, sharon
Old 11-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

HEY - everybody is posting here and nobody is writing on the main chat thread. I am feeling all lonely over there. Do I lose all my friends unless I join this exercise thing. If so ok my exercise is typing online for at least an hour a day LOL.

Hugs,

Lonely Ammi
Old 11-26-2005, 07:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Ok, I am going to do this. I have only been on two walks in the past 15 years since moving to Northern Idaho. Before that I was swimming daily for 60 minutes plus sit ups. I weigh 460 so I can't walk too much at a time because of hip pain. I want some suggestions please help me to set my December goal for walking as swimming is out for now.

Blessings,
Dogpal
Old 11-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Hi All,

Ok I have been thinking about it, and I am not going to slack off, cold or no cold. And I am not going to wait until the new year to try to exercise.

Sheri - you inspired me by saying you want to start doing your RS tapes, 15 minutes a day. We are pretty much the same size, and if you are up for it, then so am I. So from Monday I am going to try to do 15 minutes of my RS DVD, Disco Sweat every week day.

So there you go, that's my plan for week one, the same as Sheri, 15 minutes of RS 5 days a week. Wish me luck, it's been a LONG time since I have done regular exercise.

Hugs,

Ammi
Closed Thread