Old 11-06-2005, 03:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Default What are the best foods to make you "go"?

I was just wondering why I'm having problems "going" - Been eating broccoli, cauliflower, tons of fruits, 3 starches a day in the form of whole grain lite bread or bagels or whatever. Does anyone have any hints on keeping regular?

Thanks!
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I use Fiber One cereal - 14 grams of fiber in a half cup. Throw in a half cup of blueberries and you are at 16 grams of fiber. I usually try to have some kidney beans in a salad as well - that's another 8 grams of fiber. Those two plus lots of water and other veggies and fruit keep me moving! Most folks get way too little fiber. I think we are supposed to have at elast 20 grams per day. Run your foods through www.fitday.com to see how much you actually are getting!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:31 PM   #3  

Thanks Ruth!

Those are some great ideas - I'm going grocery shopping now - I'll look for that cereal and the beans - I think I have some blueberries in the freezer.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:10 PM   #4  
Movin on down the scale

I use benefiber in my oatmeal. I have that problem with "not going" also. It can be a real drag.
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #5  

So you sprinkle the benefiber on the cooked oatmeal and stir it in?

I've never noticed how meat can bind you up until this diet! I'm happy I've lost 20 pounds but it stresses protein and low carb and I hate not going!!

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2005, 07:59 PM   #6  
Movin on down the scale

I personally add about 2 TBLSP to a serving of oatmeal I just mix it right in with my splenda...you dont even taste it...I was soo glad about that..Once it is in there I forget all about it. You can add it to anything like that...pudding, mashed potatoes, I have also added it to mac and cheese (diet kind). You really wouldnt guess it is in there.
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #7  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

I've just started with Fiber one sprinkled on my Carb Control yogurt. I've always liked Bran Buds, too, (even higher fiber) but they're so hard to find sometimes. Also, my doctor recommended 28-30 grams, but I do have trouble making quite that much, and if you're not used to it, that much can be like adding a little blasting powder to your diet.
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:18 PM   #8  

I hope you ladies don't mind me posting her but when I saw your question I though I might be able to help since I had the same problem. Okay Lori your menu looks great but are you getting enough water. That was my problem for the longest I was like I'm eating all this fiber what is wrong well once I increased my water intake.....oh well the rest is history. thanks for letting me butt in have a nice day all
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Hi Lori,

I totally agree with the post by flipafart, such a sweet name Anyway yes, you must make sure you drink drink drink. Also prune juice is known for it's laxative qualities so you could give that a go. As you know I have my ostomy now so I don't have any problems 'going' but pre ostomy if I had problems prune juice was definitely the way to go. Or if you are desperate and fancy a day off the diet, go for a nice Indian curry that will clear you out a treat

Hugs,

Ammi
AmmiUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #10  

Thanks so much ladies! Such great ideas! Before I started this diet I was regular like clockwork, but I ate a lot of junk and I guess that's all pushed through quite easily!

AMMI: I just LOVE Indian food - before we ever went to India to bring our girls home we hadn't even had Indian food - now I'm hooked - it's right at the top of my list for a cheat day! I also like prune juice - going to have to get some of that too!

FLIPAFART: You are so right about the water! I have been buying jugs of Culligan out of the machine at our local store - our tap water tastes just like chlorine out of a swimming pool - I couldn't drink it for anything - so I've been really trying to get the water down.

VALERIE: Thanks for the suggestions - I'm going to start sprinkling the bran buds or fiber one on my yogurt or oatmeal or whatever - 20-30 grams does seem like a lot, but I'll bet it IS good for you -

GONNALOSEITAGAIN: Thanks for the suggestions also! Hopeful things will "workout" here soon!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #11  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

In a pinch..bypass the fiber and get a bag of the sugar-free hershey's miniatures or the sugar-free reeces cups. About 4 of those will set you free...whatever it is that makes it sugar free is a major laxative..thats why on all of the bags of sugar free chocolates it says "excessive consumption may result in a laxative effect".
JuleeCeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #12  

Ha Julee.....now we have a good excuse to eat chocolate.
AndreaS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:21 PM   #13  
Opulent

Black Beans win, hands down! 1 cup has 19.4 grams of fiber!
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #14  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Hope you don't mind me adding in here, I eat 3 prunes every morning with breakfast, and drink lots of water. Hope that helps!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #15  

Hey Girls!

Dragonwoman: I actually love prunes - do you eat the dried or the stewed prunes?

Yogini: Do the black beans have more fiber than kidney beans? I just bought a can of the kidney beans to add to salads. I know they are a powerhouse of nutrition - that helps in itself.

Julee: Ooooooooooo I love your suggestion! How many calories in 4 of the SF Hershey miniatures? I didn't even know they made them! Sounds like a great idea!