Old 10-26-2005, 12:50 AM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Old Hens - 40+ And Ready To Lose - Volume 16

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:07 AM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi girls! Spent the afternoon with my mom today at a Card Party. It was fun. We met two women who didn't have partners to play Pinochle so they joined us and we had a very nice time. I love going and meeting people that way. Something different.

Food was decent, but not wonderful. I had Subway for dinner but didn't make the best choice and had their Seafood Sensation. It was yummy but more points than I should have indulged in.

Ruth: I hear you on buying new clothes only to lose out of them, but boy does it feel good to have a few new duds to wear. I bought a couple of great jackets for fall and I'm loving them. It sure has turned cold here too. Brrrrrrrr. Where's the shivering smilie when you need it? I'll have to tell Suzanne to get those snowmen smilies ready because we're almost there, I think.

Terri: To be honest, I think they're still jerking Honey around. He was supposed to meet Friday to get his new job description and a raise. Instead, with this manager leaving they offered THAT position to him. We think that if he's have gotten the job change a couple of weeks ago, before this gal quit, that he would have gotten MORE for taking over her job. But because of the timing, they got off cheap. How was the Rodeo??? Hope you're feeling better.

Lilion: Good luck to your friend with the bypass surgery. I'm just so afraid of the whole thing myself. I think people kid themselves to think that that's the quick fix, but if they don't learn to eat differently there's **** to pay and an awful lot of people have lovely (NOT) side effects from it. Too scarey for this chicken girl. * My son said the same thing about Doom. He said the video game was a first person shooter and there really was no back story so he has no desire to see the movie. I heard more negative comments than positive from people exiting this weekend.

BarbG: How did the surgery go? I've been praying for all of you that she will come out of this ok. I doubt that Honey will come to Dallas. Better yet, I will probably not invite him to Dallas. That's MY time, dang it!!

JoeAnne: WooHoo for you! (OK, is it just me, or is this guy obscene?) Anyway, good for you. I'm so happy for you.

Valerie: You're more than welcome to come and post over here. So how are you liking not driving full time? I bet it will be wonderful to stay in one place for awhile. Tell us about your "pony". Do you live on a farm or do you have to board him/her?

Well, girls, it's after 1:00 AM and I'm going to bed. I have to sit at #1 Son's house tomorrow for the carpet measure guy to come and then I have a focus group in the afternoon. I'd really like to get in to the Chiropractor in the morning as well. We'll see what time I get up. Need sleep....
Old 10-26-2005, 08:16 AM   #3  

Smile Good morning!

Good morning ladies, A very BRRRRRR! good morning! Did anyone notice that we went from summer to winter overnight? Seems to happen every year. Good thing I dug out those long sleeves. I had plans to go out this morning, but now I am sitting here thinking...It's cold out there! Not sure I want to leave my warm den. (As in lair ) For all of you that have to go out to jobs, I am sorry.

I still haven't stood on the scales to check my weight. I feel as if I have lost, but I know if I stand on them and haven't done well, I will crash. SOOOO, I think I will wait a little while longer. I am a coward huh?

Gotta run now, see you all later. Ruth
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:18 AM   #4  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Hiya Thinthinker....not much new in my world today--except it is COLD here in Florida!! BRRR!!

I got in some exercise while watching The Biggest Loser last night. I did some crunches, and boy are my legs sore!!

Have a great day, gals!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Morning ladies!

I slept late this morning because I forgot to set DH's alarm. But I got up and did some exercise. Started with some pilates to get the back muscles unkinked, did some with the weights and actually got my butt on the spinner for a while. Notice I said "some" and "a while". That's because I feel like I'm starting over and am definitely not quite up to a real workout level. I am going to have to get the in my head and screaming at myself to quit being a wuss. The scale is still stalled and the only thing I can figure is that my body has adjusted to how we eat and to the level of activity and won't budge. I have to shake things up and that means getting my butt back on the and sweating. I really wish I had time and $$ to be able to go to the Y and work with a trainer. I think I get a workout going and get complacent about it. I'll just have to figure out how to do it myself.

Watched Biggest Loser last night. The show is rather cheesy but I really like to see how they are changing their lives. Especially when they show the after pictures. I need some of that competitive drive.

Valerie - Welcome to the group! Of course you can join us over here. I think the ponies are finally getting past it. I think we're on three days, "no snot" and no coughing. Now I need to get my round pen set back up this weekend and get back to working them. I still have one semi-quarantined and that's because the only way to get antibiodic in him is to mix it in his food. He is such a wild child. Got a pic of your horse?

Thin - What fun to spend the afternoon playing cards! I can never remember all the rules. I'm not good at games. We had a great time at the bull riding. I love to see the monster bulls. Styx was far less entertaining. An odd choice to follow rodeo stuff. Cowboys and headbangers.

Lilion - Geez, what a day. Make today a better one! No more ciggies or candy bars!!

to everyone else. I must get my rear in gear or be late for work. Have a good OP day!

Last edited by Terri in MO; 10-26-2005 at 08:38 AM.
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #6  

Smile

Good Morning Ladies!

Well, today is looking better than yesterday. At least I feel that way. I got to sleep about 10 last night, which helped. Wasn't tooo bad at dinner, given the fact that I wanted to go to Ryan's and eat everything on the buffet! Instead DH made hamburger helper and I had a sensible serving. (And four thin mints and ice cream )

Given the fact that fighting with the bank over an overdraft I felt was undeserved was part of the bad day, avoiding eating out was smart for two reasons I suppose. And as it turns out, the bank credited the overdraft fee back to me, so I won that argument. Which also made me feel better.

Fact is, I've just been a raving witch these days. I've finally got a Dr. appt for next Monday. (Yep, Halloween) I don't know what's going on with me, but I'm having them check EVERYTHING! I read on-line that an underactive thyroid can cause frequent periods, feeling cold, dry skin, fatigue and weight gain. I've got every one of those symptoms, except for the weight gain and I suppose that could be explained by the fact that I've been actively trying to lose. I'm going to make him check it at least. Three periods in one month is more than I can stand!!!

Thin: You are a busy lady with those boys houses. What are you going to do with yourself when it's all done? "First person shooter" was what DH said about the Doom video game too. I didn't even know what he was talking about! Shows how much I care about those games. If only DH and DS had some other interests.

Ruth: Must be nice to stay snug in your lair! It's just darn chilly these days. But it's supposed to be 60 tomorrow and go up every day until 65 this weekend. Those kinda temps I can live with. I even turned my furnace on! I HATE running it before November. But it was under 60 in the house! I'm only setting it at 65 though - I just refuse to have a big gas bill this early!

Jen: Have I welcomed you??? If not, Welcome! Have you had to weather hurricaine problems??? Hope all is well down that way.

Terri: Good for you for going back to the workout! I quit the Y this month. We'd quit going when we got the pups and just couldn't justify the $$ anymore. I really need to start exercising at home. Darn it, I liked the Y! It was the only exercise I enjoyed. I was walking a mile after work too, but now that I go home every day at noon to let the puppies out and have to get home right away after I don't get that done either! All in all, not good exercise times for Lilion these days.

Hope everyone has a happy day! I'm late (Again!)
Onward and Downward!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:06 PM   #7  
Shairing her ESH...

Hi Lilion: I am not sure if you welcomed me yet, but THANKS!!

I used to have a wacky menstrual cycle too--never knowing when it will strike! For awhile I always wore protection! Hope you can get it cleared up soon!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:56 AM   #8  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hiya, girls!

Slight miscommunication this morning. Went to #1 Son's house to meet the carpet measuring guy and #1 Son was able to get off work to meet him himself. I had rushed out the door and even had to put my curling iron and makeup in a tote because I was rushing so much to try and get there on time. ARGH!!! Do you think maybe he could have called?????

Food was so so today. Wrong choices. I'm 6 points over my limit. Water was better.

Tomorrow I'm off to the Dr. in the morning so she can be disappointed that I haven't lost anything in the last 3 months. Same dang 5 pounds UP and down!!! Hopefully she'll have my labs ready as I went in Tuesday morning to have them drawn so we could talk intelligently about current numbers instead of 3 month old numbers.

Then I'm going to try and get a visit with the Chiropracter as I'm needing him desperately.

Lunch is with 2Cute's daughter. Her birthday is this week and I told her I would take her to lunch. Then back home for a haircut. I've been putting off color until my hair was cut. After all, why bother coloring stuff that's going to be coming off anyway?

Ruth: It's been very cold up here too. I do like the cooler weather, but Tuesday it was downright COLD!!! Today it seemed to be a little better and they said by Saturday it should get to 61.

Jeanette: It sounds like the Biggest Loser show is an inspiration to you if you exercise while watching it. Good for you for putting TV time to good use.

Terri: You're right! Bull Riding and Headbangers sure don't seem to go together. I thought they usually got country singers to do gigs at rodeos. *I did really enjoy the card party with mom. She belongs to several senior card groups and she said they are all having a hard time getting younger people (seniors, but younger seniors) in to play. Seems like nobody plays cards anymore. She did say that they would have more luck with Euchre, but the groups she belongs to play Pinochle.

Lilion: I'm glad you broke down and called the Dr. It doesn't sound like Mother Nature is playing very fair with you and it's about time you found out why. * Hmmmm, what am I going to do with myself when the boys are gone? I'm thinking greet my husband naked every night, run around with whatever on or off that I want to, sleep in (as if I don't do enough of that now), save a whole bunch of time on laundry, save a whole bunch of money on electric bills and water bills AND have two rooms free one for my sewing room and one for an office for Honey. And believe me, it only took about 30 seconds to come up with that list!!!

Well girls, here it is, 1 AM again. I'm headed to bed. See you all later. Love ya bunches.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:29 AM   #9  

Smile Good morning!

Good morning ladies, How cold are you this morning? It is brrrrrrr here. I started to stay in bed and just forget about starting this day. If I don't get some things in early, like exercise, they don't get done. SOOO, here I am up but not quite attum yet.

I am still hanging in there OP, or very near OP but I can see trouble on the horizon. I have company coming for the weekend and that is always a tough one for me. I know, weak!

Lilion, It sounds as if you may be perimenopausal? I stopped having my cycles at 48, and before that it was crazy! Some times too many and sometimes none for a couple of months. I had to have a D/C during that time also. The joys of aging are endless! I will tell you a secret, I don't miss it at all!

Thin, you are a good mother! Guys are not always thoughtful about those phone calls, they think we instinctively know when they need us or not. LOL. How was the lunch with 2 cutes daughter?

Terri, At least you are starting to exercise again. Every little bit helps or so they tell me. Some days I just don't want to face the (exercise)music. Most days I force myself to do something, even if it is just rocking in the recliner At least my legs are moving

Jen, you don't have much to say. Tell us more about you and what you like to do etc.

Okay girls, that is all for me this morning. I still have to do the huff and puff thing. Talk to you later. Iwillbe.....Ruth ps. that carrot is a little obscene!
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:37 AM   #10  
Hang In There

Good morning ladies:
OleAlvin started a job today. It's not the one he wanted(or maybe I should be honest and say not the one I wanted him to get) but it is a job!!!
Now I can stop using the excuse that I can't get up and going to the health club to exercise when he's home in bed!!! I have plenty of time to go this morining, but am I getting ready to go? N oooooo

My SIL's surgery went well and she is doing good. The final lab reports are due tomorrow.

Jen and Valerie, Grab a cup and join us for a while.

Thats' all I know, Have a great day
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:43 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning,

Not much to say this morning. I did do 20 minutes on the spinner this morning. Had a sweat started and my legs a little quivery so it was something. By Monday morning, I'll be up to 30 minutes. Just has to be that way if not more.

Food has been good this week. Except for maybe a little too much chili last night but it was lean chili.

Anyone watch Lost? I started watching it this season. Very bizarre. Almost too bizarre and drawn out. I haven't figured out why the tailee's are so mean to the rest of the people. And why they don't all get together?

I should jump in the shower. Have a good OP day!

P.S. Jen - Welcome to the group!

Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:29 AM   #12  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Terri: I watch Lost. Last night was a rerun. I have to admit, I don't get it either. I got the impression that the folks from the tail didn't know about the other guys and that's why they aren't together, but why so mean? Maybe they are paranoid since they've had run-in's with "the others". Frustrating show. Keeps me watching though, which is the idea I suppose.

Barbara: Good for Alvin! Like you said, a job's a job. He can still look for something else, right? Glad to hear SIL is doing well.

Ruth: I had thought about perimenopausal. I'm hoping for thyroid malfunction. I'm too young for this darn it! (But I gotta admit, I like the idea of Aunt Flo going away and never coming back! (And I never noticed the carrot's...uh-obscenity... until you mentioned it! )

Thin: Quite a list! I'm sure your hubby is looking forward to it too! (Especially the first one! )

Jen: HI!

Okay, that's everyone! Now, on to my yesterday! I made some very bad choices yesterday, no doubt. Someone brought Panera Bread Cinnamon Crunch Bagles to work. They are SOOOO fattening, and I LOVE them. So I had 1 1/2. I knew better too. Anyway, today is a new day.

I've got an in-person hearing waiting, so best run. People to see, Justice to deal out!
Old 10-27-2005, 09:48 AM   #13  
Shairing her ESH...

Morning all!!

Ruth, you wanted to know more about me--here ya go!!

I'm 40 and live in Central Florida with my boyfriend (partner? significant other? what do you CALL them at our age??). I am an administrative assistant and have been for about 15 years, at various kinds of businesses. I really enjoy my work!

Other things I enjoy: music of all genres, sports, and acting/directing/producing community theatre. I don't have any other hobbies to speak of, unless you count television!

I've been overweight as long as I can remember. My lowest weight as an adult was 200 lbs as a senior in high school and about 225 when I got married the first time in 1988.

My weight loss goal is to not be a certain dress size, but more to be healthy and active. I've set a tentative goal of 190, but for me, anything below 200 will work. I want to be thinner, but maintain my curves.

Exercise is the hardest thing for me about this weight loss journey. I know it is something I need to do, but I am so dang LAZY!! I am not going to get strong and fit by sitting my butt on the couch. I am trying to incorporate exercise and TV together so I can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Okay, enough rambling from me! Hope this gives you some insight on me!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:48 PM   #14  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Hello Ladies!

Since I was mass-sabataged a few days ago, my eating's been closer to back on track each day. (I can't blame the Godiva chocolate people paid to push it at the bank, besides, I resisted them. But my friends who had cookies, cake and cupcakes coming out of the oven everywhere I went all day, including home, shouldn't have. I find the coy "Oh, I knew you'd mad about it" to be Really irritating!) Yesterday I didn't have anything I shouldn't have, but I did have a little too much. TODAY will be different, 100% on track, and I'm going to see about joining Curves, too!

My 'ponies' are major motivation for losing the extra tonage. I have an old Quarter Horse that will never do anything again but give first rides to little ones (a job he loves), a morgan-arab that I'd love to start riding myself, and my new baby, horse of my dreams, a young friesian that I'd like to start ground driving and training this winter. For the non-horsey, friesians are solid black, generally high-headed, high-stepping, heavyweight horses with lots of mane, tail and 'feathers' on their legs. They're used for a lot of the Mideval reanactments. The horse in the movie 'Zorro' was a friesian (not an andalusian) & the horse seen briefly in the movie 'Bedazzled' is actually my baby's daddy. Anyway, I can't just stand by and watch other people ride him, but I sure can't ride at this weight!

Being off the truck is WONDERFUL! I liked trucking, but so much life has gone by without me. Enough is enough. My husband has been working on driving FEMA supplies in Texas for the last 3 weeks, but he called this morning & said they're shutting that distribution center down. (I think most of what they do is open centers & close them down again, rather than RUN them.) Anyway, I may be back on the truck again soon even if it's only temporary.

Joanne, Fantastic! I can hardly wait to do what you've done!!!! I'm actually back up to about 304 or 5 since the cupcake disaster. I had been hovering around the 300-302 mark. You inspire me though! I hope to chase you all the way down to both our goals!

At least since I've been home I've had a chance to do a few little things, like get the furnace fixed (thank goodness!!!) and now I even get to go get a hair cut! You don't know what a great thing that is until you've had to go without - or get crazy cuts from somebody different every time. Then it's off to check out Curves...

Well, enough of my self-indulged ramblings. Best wishes to each of you for a successful day you feel GOOD about!!!
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #15  

Valerie: I hope I'm not prying, but I have to ask, why can't you ride at 305? I mean, you may not gallop around for hours, but I'd think a horse, especially a big horse like a friesian wouldn't have any problems. Especially in light of the fact that I know they carry full gown men who probably weigh 250, wearing full armor, which I know for a fact will weigh at least 50 lbs! I know I took English riding lessons at probably 240 or 250. I had to use a mounting block because I couldn't haul my heavy butt up into the saddle, but I rode. Unless theres a real important reason, I wouldn't let extra weight stop you from doing something you love!

Last edited by Lilion; 10-27-2005 at 04:12 PM.