Old 10-18-2005, 07:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens - 40+ And Ready To Lose - Volume 15

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:27 AM   #2  

Good morning ladies!

I'm starting day three of my detox and restart program. Food has been really good for the two days. Getting started on SBD Phase 1 is always a challenge in planning and having enough foods on hand. Breakfasts are the hardest. I may have to add my oatmeal and yogurts/museli breakfasts back next week.

I got to work yesterday and there was a small bunch of flowers on my desk. I knew it was my anniversary and didn't think Ronnie had anything to do with it so I asked one of my emps what was up. It was Bosses Day. OOOOHHHH, didn't know. That was so nice. Then they said they had goodies. My first thought was, dang because I didn't want to eat it. I seriously did not want it because everything was sugar - Krispy Kremes, chocolate chip cookies, pineapple bread, homemade chocolate toffee, and mini-muffins. Very nice. I hem-hawed around until about 10:30 because I didn't want to eat any of it and didn't know what to do. I didn't want to hurt their feelings by avoiding it. I finally decided to get a plate and get something of everything. I ate a bite of some of it and when no one was around, threw the rest of my plate in the trash. It didn't even taste appealing.

I have gotten started with some exercise. I asked DH to start setting his alarm for 5:15. His alarm will wake the dead plus its on his side of the bed. I had been sleeping through my alarm most days before vacation. I have gotten up at 5:15. After snoozing on the couch for another 20 minutes, I have done weights and stability ball to get the muscles going again. By the end of the week, I'll be doing that plus some cardio on one of the exercise bikes. Easing into it.

to Steph and Lyn. Great losses!! Keep working at it!

Ruth - Sorry for not popping in. One of the things I am going to have to do is limit my time on the computer. Exercise has to be a priority and keeping caught up around the house is another one. I may be popping in only every other day.

Okay, gotta go and get ready for work. I am going to be doing some Flylady stuff before work (and after exercise) in the morning to continue to detox the house.

Tonight is the memorial service for DH's aunt. It will only last about 25 minutes the son said and there will be no burial. The son lives in Florida and isn't much for family. This will be my first time to meet him. I have to drive home from work, get dressed, drive back over to get MIL out of the rehab hospital, drive over to by work (30 miles away), and go to the service. I will be on the road alot today. DH's brother bought flowers. $75 which he thinks we're paying half of. I reminded DH that this is the same idiot brother that said he would pay us half the the $75 flowers that we bought for the other aunt and conveniently disappeared from the services after scouting out which flowers. And even recently admitted that he owed us money for them. So why should we pay him anything? And why would he spend that much money when there is no grave site to leave them and the son can't hardly take them home to Florida? Okay, sorry for the rant. Some of DH's family makes me

Have a good OP day! No excuses and no blaming! Especially the Remember that we all make choices.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:15 AM   #3  

Thumbs up

Good Morning Ladies!

I know I wasn't around yesterday, although I did read the posts late last night. It was a really busy day. While at work I spent most of my time getting information about our car loans and this lawsuit I'm stuck in the middle of. I ordered a guy - who didn't even bother to show up for the hearing - to pay child support and he sued me and the state for violating his civil rights and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Took forever to get information out of the Atty General's office. I can just see this wacko keeping me from getting this loan.

Anyway, worked to 1 p.m. then took the rest of the day off to work on the home refinance. Went to the bank to get some questions answered, finished the application, ran out to DH's work to get his signiture, then back to the bank to drop it off. They said they should have a decision this afternoon...so we'll see. In the middle of all that managed to run by the vet and spy on DS as he walked home from school. Actually, I was in the neighborhood at the right time so I picked him up and gave him a lift, but we keep him wondering if we're watching!

We've decided to have a garage sale this weekend, so I spent the evening sorting out my fat clothes. I figure if I sell all my 24's I'll have plenty of incentive to not gain it back. So I tried on stuff and boxed it up to sell. I don't have any 22's, since I just wore the 24's baggy until I got into the 20's. Really, it's a little scary to sell the bigger clothes. I've done that before then had to buy new when I get fat again! I also have very few clothes in my closet now. DH has said we'll spend the income from the sale on new clothes-I don't think so, but at least some of it really needs to go to clothes.

Steph and Lyn: Good for you both on the losses! Keep up the good work!

Ruth: Sorry you were lonely yesterday! We'll have to try harder to keep you company!

Terri: Bosses day here yesterday too - but I didn't have your will power. They had a chili and hot-dog luncheon for us and I ate here. I figure we're broke enough at the moment that free food is not to be passed up! But I did have a tiny dinner to make up for the fattening lunch. Sounds like you have a sad and busy day ahead of you. So sorry about the loss to the family. ( (hugs) ) I'm quite impressed that you are getting up at 5:15 to exercise, even if you did sleep on the couch for another 20. I get up about 6 now, but between puppies and getting ready for work, there's no time to exercise, even if I had the desire, which I sorely lack that time of day.

Sadly, we've dropped our Y membership effective Nov. 1. As much as we enjoyed it, we haven't found the time to go since Sept. 5 when we added the two furry babies to the family. We decided the $42 per month would pay puppy obedience school, which we actually attend. We'll rejoin in a few months probably, when they have their free membership drive again.

Well, must work now. Justice to be done. (so I can get sued for it later! ) Have a happy, healthy OP day everyone!

Last edited by Lilion; 10-18-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:39 PM   #4  

Thumbs up Nsv Moment To Share

Hi again!!!

Just wanted to share a little NSV with everyone.

While home at lunch I stopped to dig thru a closet to see if there was anything else to sell. Found a suit, size 20, in the back of the closet. Most of my 20 suits are still a bit small, but this one is nearly too large! It still had the dry-cleaning lable on it from the last time I wore it and had it cleaned. August 4, 1999! It got too small soon after that and I never wore it again!

Guess what I'm wearing to work Thursday???

I'm wearing a dress tomorrow I also haven't worn since the turn of the century!

Now to get into those 18's and 20's that are too small! Time to get back to work!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #5  
Hang In There

Lillion: great new about the smaller clothes.

Terri, good to see you back and back into your costume.
Thin: It is fun getting the kids fixed up in their own home. I remember that.

Everyone else, hello and hope you are having a great day, and an even greater week,

The good news is that oleAlvin had a job interview today and one tomorrow and one Thursday. Cross your fingers and pray that one of them works out.

I know that this sound like a cop out, but I think it will be much easier for me to get back serious with the weight loss and exercise if he were working and had a regular schedule. As it is, I find it so hard to get up early with him still in bed, and him being home he tries all these things for supper, and it's not always what or the way I'd cook things.

Well, it's time to get off the computer and get something else done.

Barb.g
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:26 AM   #6  

Smile Good morning!

Hello ladies, I am about ready to give up on posting this morning! I have lost the post twice now, and I don't know why. Arrrggh!

I didn't sleep well at all last night and that has left me feeling bummed out this morning. Other than that things are going fine. I am staying away from the scales! I find that I stay on track better if I don't jump on there and see what is going on with my weight.

Lilion, It is like having new clothes to wear! The clothes they are selling now are just not as good looking as some of our older ones, so that is a win, win situation.The materials (now) are awful, or to my eyes they are.

I am outta here for now. I don't want to have to start over again. Everybody take care, see you later. Iwillbe...Ruth
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:42 AM   #7  

Default Last call!

It seems that no one is interested in this thread anymore, so I might as well give up too!! Iwillbe...Ruth
Old 10-20-2005, 07:50 AM   #8  
Hang In There

Ruth, Don't give up on us... It just isn't possible for a lot of us to get in here everyday. I'm not allowed to get on the internet (for fear of losing my job, and they are serious) at work during the day, and somethime, I just don't have time in the mornings or at night, but I do come in when I can, and I know it's that way with most of the others.

Barb
Old 10-20-2005, 09:15 AM   #9  

Sorry Ruth! I went home with a sick kid at noon and never got on-line again! But I posted on the 18th...twice, darn it. And now I have to run because I have hearing to prepare for that I haven't had time for yet!

I really like the smaller group, but I've got to admit, more goes on on the old thread.

Don't go away! I'll be back!
Old 10-20-2005, 04:33 PM   #10  
Michigan Old-Timer

I'm here, I'm here! Geez!

It's been another crazy week here on the ranch.

I'm still running. I returned some dishes that I had bought for Jason at Big Lots last week because he decided on something different from Bed Bath and Beyond. I ended up with a $25 refund and then proceeded to spend $50 before I left the store. LOL I can't win!!!

I found out that I can get better insurance rates from AAA if I join a different credit union so I went over there today and opened an account so I can get that all adjusted. It's now been adjusted twice in the last month as the boys are both off of our insurance now and have their own policies.

I also stopped at Fashion Bug. I was looking to see if I could still find some short sleeved shirts. I have a bunch of lightweight jackets and just bought two new tweeds from the Avenue and all I have to wear under them is tank tops from this summer. With Mother Nature messing with me (my thermostat is completely broke ) I have to dress in layers so I can strip when I'm hot and pile clothes on when I'm cold. I won't go sleeveless with these batwings I call arms so I definitely more short sleeved shirts to get me through the Winter. I did find a couple while I was there and the clerk told me that this Sunday they are having a great sale with 50% off regular stuff and 30% off "Priced Just Right" items so I asked her to hold them for me and I would be back on Sunday.

The "baby" closed on his house yesterday. The woman was not as "eccentric" as the Real Estate people tried to make him believe. (I was really worried there for awhile that he would have a hard time getting her out.) He showed one of the girls in the loan office the listing page that he had for the house. He had put a 10* at the top of the page. The girl said the house looked real nice but what was the 10* for? He went on to explain that the night he looked at the house, he had been to another house prior that was 5 bedrooms with an upstairs and that he really liked that house and had put a 10 on the top of that listing page. Well when he went to see THIS house, he really really liked it and what could he put since he already had a page with a 10 on it, so he put 10* and circled it. The seller just sorta cooed and said "Aw, I'm glad you liked my house." So he made points with the seller. Then she told him that she was moving into a condo and closes on the 25th and that she would try to get the closing moved up. She also said she didn't think she would have room for everything and was he interested in anything she had. He told her that he had bought a few things but that anything she wanted to leave would be put to good use. He's hoping she'll leave him some good stuff. LOL

#1 Son's house is coming along. He went over there last night after work and finished painting the living room by himself. I'm sure he and Honey will be working on the rest of the wallpaper in the kitchen this weekend and probably painting there. Then there's just the bathroom to tackle and it will be ready to move in.

I'm a "showgirl" this weekend so I won't be doing much over there.

Tomorrow I have lunch with some of the ladies that my mom and I met at the Care Center my father was at. We try to get together about once a month. This time we're going to Red Lobster. I'm hoping for something broiled. I've invited my mom to go see a movie after lunch. There's a new one called Dreamer that starts tomorrow. It's with Dakota Fanning, Kirk Russell, and Kris Kristoferson. The movie is about a girl and a horse. I always have to be careful what I invite mom to see as she does not appreciate violence, sex or swearing in the movies she sees so that leaves a WHOLE bunch out of the question. That Dakota is quite the little actress!!! I saw on a show the other day that Kirk Russell gave Dakota a horse as a remembrance of the film.

The scale has finally straightened itself out. It keeps going down every morning, even if it is only by .1 or .2. I sure don't know what that 352 was all about last week as this week it's even down past 345.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the way things are progressing. It would be nice if the losses were larger and more often, but a constant downward slope works for me.

Well, girls, this is all I can muster for this afternoon. I've got paperwork to finish and some straightening up to do before Honey comes home from work.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:22 PM   #11  

Hi ladies,

Just finishing up watching Survivor and may watch CSI:LV next. The dog wants walked and not sure I want to wait until 9 pm. The bad thing about it becoming darker earlier, I want to go curl up in bed early. Especially since its a tad cool. Snuggle!

I have had five great days staying on my plan. I'm feeling really in the groove now. DH is doing well too.

Did I say I have six sick horses now? Geez. Its a respiratory virus thing we can't get gone. It was only the weanlings at first but now its moved to the big horses. What's irritating is that they had vaccinations against it. It means daily shots of penicillin until we finally get everyone clear. That has been time consuming.

I finally got back to WW tonight. My friend from Sunday School was supposed to be there as we were trying a different night to see if a better leader. First, she wasn't there. Second, they had already removed my folder even though it hadn't been more than 4 weeks yet. Since it was free registration, I decided to just start as if a new member. Especially since I was doing terrible on that last start. So this is a new start. There won't be any evidence of that steady gain each week. Third, this is a leader I really don't like but I do like the 5:30 time.

Ruth - Sorry that you feel that no one cares. Not true at all. I had already said that I would not be able to post each day. I have to get off the computer and take care of life first; posting second. I started the thread for the Old Hens mainly because the other thread moved too fast to keep up with and I didn't feel connected anymore. Don't let the slowness be a reason to get upset and give up.

Thin - That is good news about the houses. They must be so excited and ready to be in charge of their own place. You've got pretty sensible young men there! Good job with the losses!

Kim - How are you doing? I hope the meds are helping and you're having less panic. I miss seeing your posts. Take care and come back!

Lilion - Hope your sick boy is feeling better and that you don't get whatever it is. That is awesome about the clothes. That is such a bigger victory than the stupid numbers on the scale. I've got a bunch of smaller clothes saved that I want to be able to wear. Just so that I can either wear them out or decide to give away but to be able to move on without them haunting me! Keep working at it!

Barb.G - Prayers for Alvin to have success with his interviews. I know what you mean about posting from work. I could post more often if I could but its against corporate policy and I'm not going to test to see if they are really watching! Take care!

I think that's it for this thread! Back to CSI and then off to dog walk.

Goodnight!
Old 10-21-2005, 05:27 AM   #12  

Wink Thats better!

Well, that's better Got your attention anyway.

I know that most of you work and have a limited time to chat on the computer, but just a quick hello is always appreciated by MOI. It was kind of weird being the only one to post for that day. You are all forgiven for deserting me. Gosh, I hope you all know when I am just kidding, if not, I am subject to be in hot water all of the time, cause I am a and I know that doesn't show up in print.

My Mom is going to be staying with me for a couple of months, ouch! I love her but she drives me nuts. To her I am still 5 years old, or so you would think. I am not sure she knows that I have sense enough to do anything on my own. Anyone else have that Mom? Lovable, but maddening! You will probably hear a lot of bithching and moaning in the next 8 weeks! maybe even a or two.

Still OP. At least for now, I am doing my program and feeling pretty proud of myself. I haven't weighed yet, so I don't know how much I have lost, but the clothes are feeling looser,

Time to get busy. I have to make sure this house is spotless, and I am not kidding about that! (Mom you know). See ya later, Ruth
Old 10-21-2005, 08:37 AM   #13  
Hang In There

Ruth, I know you've heard it before, but treasure the 8 weeks or so you are with your mother. All the oldies know how I complained about my mom. The main thing was that you could never get her off the phone. Every conversation lasted at least 30 minutes and she talked on an on about absolutely nothing, What she had for breakfast, what she had for lunch, every phone call she received etc, etc. I would even not answer the phone when she called at times because I wasn't in the mood to listen to her. Well needless to say I've wanted to be able to tell her so many things in this 6 weeks she has been gone. On that subject we signed the contract for the people to do the estate sale of her stuff. It will be the weekend before Thanksgiving. Hopefully it will be a good sale, if not at least we will be done with it.

I don't remember if I told you all about cleaning out the house last weekend. We knew she had a couple of boxes of coins that my dad had been saving before he died in a cabinet. Well we found them and were talking about what to do with all of them when I started going through the garage. There was a whole shelf of boxes and boxes of coins, dimes, quarters, nickles, pennies, all in different boxes or containers. Well long story shorter, we ended up taking it all to the coinstar machines (at different times) and ended up with $814.00 after the machine took it's share!!!

Last night I took my niece to the symphony. She is taking a fine arts class and it was part of her requirements. My sister didn't want to go with her, so I took her. I really enjoyed it. and to show my "versitiality" Saturday I'm going with a group to see a play/show called "Chuck, Elvis and Buddy" a show about the early days of rock and roll!!!

Alvin feels his interview went well, and he would really like the job, but you all know how those things go. They told hime he was interview # 3 of five and after they interviewed the last two they would make a decision. Say a few extra prayers in his behalf!!!

Well, I'd better get busy and get ready for work.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:11 AM   #14  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

I actually DID come back yesterday, just always before anyone else had posted!

I hate garage sales! I don't know WHY I ever have them. Right now I could just drop! Yesterday was sooo busy. Worked and held four hearings, the last one ended at 12:30. Then ran home to the puppies, lunch and made chili in the crockpot. Got back to work right at 1:30 for my 5th hearing of the day! Cut out of work early at 4:30 so I could go to the pharmacy and to the bank for change for the sale. Got home at 5:30 to find that DS had tons of homework (since he saw fit to go home at noon Wed for a tummy ache that shockingly disappeared within an hour of our going home). DH and I were supposed to be at puppy school at 7 - which is more than 1/2 hour drive from my house. Needless to say, I didn't make it. DH took one pup and I kept the other home with DS and worked on his homework. Got done with that at 8:00. DH got home at 9:00 and we put the puppies to bed at 9:30. Then worked on the yard sale until 11:30. Got to bed about midnight and the alarms went off at 5:30 this morning! Of course, I didn't drag myself out until 6. By the time I got the puppies up and out and DH took over while I showered, my friend who's doing the sale with us got there at 7 and the early-birds started showing up soon after, even though the sale was advertised at 8! Took my kid and her's to school at 7:30 and put up signs on the way to work! I'm actually glad to be at work - although my friend and DH are running the sale and they soooo get on each other's nerves! They ought to have a fun day!

Don't know how they ever got along good enough to date each other back in the old days - Yes. My husband and my best friend used to date. It's actually quite a long and amusing story, but I'll save that for another day!

Ruth: STOP THAT! I thought you were really mad at us all and going away! You stinker! Hooray on the staying OP! Keep up the good work!

Terri: You know, I haven't actually joined WW this time - just did it with DH at home. But I don't think I could have done without meetings without him. Glad you found a time that works. Pity you can't find a leader you like though. That was really my problem with WW leaders. Every one I ever had was some scrawny woman who had never been more than 40 lbs overweight in her life! I had one that had only lost 20 lbs to hit her goal. Heck, my goal weight is 20 lbs higher than the chart! I just can't relate to someone who just really doesn't know what it's like to be 100+ overweight! Guess that's why you ladies have all been so good for me!

Thin: Glad the scale is moving the right direction! I hate it when it does the bouncing up and down thing! I had that time a while back where it would go up 6 lbs one week, drop them off the next! Makes me crazy! I really, really need to shop too! As of today, I own one pair of jeans, the other's are all in the sale. Not that I had many to begin with and since they were so big I couldn't wear them except around the house. The suit I was so excited about Tuesday is in the sale. Turned out the skirt was uncomfortably large and the jacket too tight in the sleeves. Talk about bat-wings! I HATE my arms. They are just like my mother's. She hated her's too.

Barb: Every time you mention your mother it hits home to me. I know it's all new to you, but I lost my mom 20 years ago, when I was 22. And I still would give about anything for a few more days. But it does get easier. Your post reminded me that I have tickets to the symphony! I won them at a silent auction a few weeks back. I told DH he has to dress up and let me wear my fancy dress that I can fit into again and take me to the symphony now! (People do dress up for the symphony, right? Like going to the opera or something? Because I really want to wear this black lace dress.) Check one more thing off my list of things to do before I die!

(Yes. I have an actual list. Weird, huh?)

Well ladies, I suppose I should work. Once again I have four hearings and then will run home for lunch. This time I won't have to run so fast though! I also need to go weigh and I'm expecting a slight increase from my week of indulgence, but I'm mostly back on track so we'll work on that next. I don't dare gain - I've put all my fat clothes in a garage sale!

Onward and Downward Ladies!
Old 10-21-2005, 02:50 PM   #15  

Exclamation

Update! My week of indulgence and weekend of decadence did no damage. In fact, the scale showed 258.5. But I'm rounding down.

Went home at lunch and the rummage sale is quite a success. Unfortunately, I forgot completely that I was supposed to go back to work. So now I've turned in 45 minutes of vacation time and I must run, run, run!

Oh! OH! I just realized! This means I'm more than 1/2 way there!

And nearly all of my big clothes are sold...so there really is no going back!

Last edited by Lilion; 10-21-2005 at 03:04 PM.