Old 10-22-2005, 08:34 AM   #16  

Smile Good morning!

Hello ladies, up and attum now! Time to huff and puff and then go out and enjoy this beautiful fall weather. It is still very warm here in the afternoons, and that is probably a good thing with the price of heating fuel this year! We had our propane tank filled up and wow! There went a big chunk of change. I will be looking like a bear for sure this winter, cause I am going to be triple layering clothes.

Have any of you tried the Boca chili? That is my lunch today with a salad, sure hope it is good. I hate to waste my points on something that is blah! I like the Boca burgers in a lite wheat bun with all the fixings, so I am hoping this chili is good too. Okay, I just had b'fast and I am already thinking about lunch? That can't be a good sign!

What are all of you doing for fun this weekend? We don't have anything planned yet. Whatever your plans are.....ENJOY! Iwillbe...Ruth
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:14 AM   #17  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi girls!

Just checking in quick before heading out. I'm a "showgirl" this weekend. I have to do counts for Doom. WooHoo! NOT!!! I can only imagine the crowd that will be going to see that. Honey and #1 Son will be stripping the remaining wallpaper in his kitchen and painting that. Then we tackle the bathroom and the house is ready to move into except for carpeting.

We had GREAT news around here yesterday. Honey got a promotion at work!!! He will finally be back into the field that he is trained for and loves. He has been a customer service manager for the last 4 years because he couldn't find a job in materials management anywhere. Chrysler had just laid off a whole bunch of employees about the same time that Honey hit the streets looking so it was pretty pityful. Apparently waiting it out has panned out for him as the Corporate Supply Chain Manager put in her two weeks notice and they gave him the job without posting it. It's the job he's wanted all along so I'm hoping that he will be much happier now that he's back doing what he has trained for years to do.

Of course, a promotion meant a celebration last night so we went Chineese. Why is it that celebrating something, anything, always involves food? Birthday cakes, Anniversary dinners, Retirement luncheons.....it's enough to make a body fat!!! I did refrain from eating the WHOLE entree and brought 1/2 of it home.

Mom and I went to the show yesterday afternoon. We saw Dreamer. It was very good, very heartwarming. Take tissue. Not that it was sad, just very.......touching.

I did not get on the scale this morning. I figured that even though I didn't eat that much, Chineese is loaded with sodium and I didn't want to be disappointed by the water retention. Mother Nature decided she was going to visit this month. I'm not sure why the scale kept going down every day just before her arrival. That doesn't make any sense.

No time for replies, I'm sorry. Must run to the theatre and get started. See you all later. Love ya bunches!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:13 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 340/240/155

Height: 5'3"

Talking I'm Back

Hi Ladies
I think things are calming down here at home. Recently some things have happened with the girls that have really changed their behavior/attitudes although to them it was scary it was answered prayer to me. They weren't hurt in these events but it was enough to shake them up
As for me, I am moving along just fine. I also am trying to eat lowcarb since my doctor suggested it, anyway what happened is I went for my diabetes checkup and my HbA1c went up from 7.4 to 8.4 and this was since July. I know that stress has a lo to do with this too.
I think I going to do South Beach too and do more minutes of walking as that seems to best fit my schedule.
Well got to go ladies, I have to go look for the SB book since I gave my away to my niece. I'll be back again for updates and to see how ya'll are doing. Have fun weekend
joe anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:41 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good afternoon ladies,

Its been a good day here. The weather is a bit gloomy. What's up with that? It started out with sunshine and now looks like it could rain; which wasn't in the forecast. It is rather chilly too.

We had our Biggest Loser weigh-in this morning. I had one great week foodwise and lost a half-pound. I've been thinking about checking into having my metabolism measured to see if that is a problem or not. I guess one way or the other, it means more activity. DH lost 6.5 pounds. I am really excited for him even though it is mostly fluid. He's quit drinking all alcohol so that plus getting that fluid off has got to be so much better for his blood pressure. I just hope he keeps it up because he really needs to stay off it for good.

His doctor has him trying a new medicine. Its Byetta and it replaced one of his diabetes meds. He injects himself twice a day before meals. It is not insulin and not for insulin diabetics. But it is supposed to stimulate the pancreas into creating the right amount of insulin for the food eat so its should give more stable blood sugar levels. A "side effect" is that it may curb appetite and help to lose weight. The doc has a patient that he started on it and she was finally able to start losing consistently after years of trying. I have noticed that DH has eaten a lot less and he's not starving himself either.

I've been cleaning the house. It feels good to have dusted and vacuumed and just cleaned up stuff I've been ignoring. There's never any shortage of that. I've even gotten to put out my fall silk flowers (lots of colored mums in baskets) so that has brightened the place up. And I've done some ironing and cleaning out in the spare room. I keep decluttering because I'm hoping in the spring, we can start looking for a place with land and sell this house. I'm making a list of small things to do that might help spruce it up.

Time to head out to the horses. We might finally be making progress in getting them all well. I have to clean out water and feed troughs today. Oh boy. Give them shots and feed.

Tonight I am going with ladies from Sunday School to the Super Bull rodeo and Styx in concert. It is "American Royal" time in Kansas City and this is the start. I also hope to get to see the Quarter Horse show, Hunter/Jumpers and SaddleBreds. I really wanted to see the draft horses but that is tomorrow afternoon and I feel that I should be at home or the barn doing something.

Got to go!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:15 AM   #20  

Smile Good morning!

Hello ladies, How are you? Kind of on the cool side here this morning. It must be time to take out the long sleeves and get ready for winter weather. I will start doing that tomorrow.

I am the only one up so far, so now is the only time I will have to post today. With Mom being here this is the time of day that I have free, so look for shorter posts! So far so good!

Thin, wahoo! on DHs promotion. That was something to celebrate, and if he is a happier camper....wonderful! That will make your life happier too, I bet!

Joanne, so happy to hear that things are settling down with your children. Children...why mothers get gray! I used to say you can't divorce your children, but I think now days you probably can We live in a wacky world.

Terri, It doesn't seem fair that our hubbys can lose so much better than we can does it? I know you are proud for him though. My Dh doesn't need to lose and I really am pi--ed sometimes when I watch him eat junk all day and never have to stop and think about it!! I have to think about every pinch of anything I eat. Just so not FAIR!

I hope all of you ladies have a wonderful Sunday. See you later. Ruth
Old 10-23-2005, 03:44 PM   #21  

Good Sunday Afternoon Ladies!

Just a couple of minutes to post. I need to get a move on and start dinner...we're having stew. I have no idea the points involved, but it's beef, potatoes, carrots, etc., bullion and water - how bad can it be? Will watch the portions and call it good. It's cold here and stew just sound wonderful. That or chili, and we had chili already this week.

Had a good weekend and a profitable yard sale. Sold nearly all the large clothes and then went to a sale down the street and bought some more! I figure $12 for a dress, a suit and a skirt is a pretty good buy. The lady having that sale had clothes everywhere from a 16 to a 24. She just wasn't working in an office anymore and didn't want to keep the dress clothes. I now need some casual clothes and I'm set. The best part of the sale (other than making $150) was so many people interested in how I've lost weight. That's always fun to talk about.

I spent the best part of two days making a Lakota Sioux encampment model with DS. Somehow, I expect the teacher will know my 10-yr-old didn't make the teepees and travois out of sticks and canvas and hot-glue. But he did say what he wanted to do with it all and I made him read a ton of stuff on the Lakota so he'll be able to explain it all. I don't know why they make kids do these models...so far I've done this one and two wild animal habitats...one for DS and one for my best friends daughter when she was in 5th grade. Like the kids ever do these all by themselves.

My best friend has discovered that medicare will pay for gastric bypass if you have diabetes or heart problems or something else that I can't remember. She meets all of those criteria and is on medicare due to disability. The disability has nothing to do with her weight, however, she's bipolar. I about had a fit when she said she's going to ask her dr. to refer her for the procedure. Darn it she's no bigger than I am, even less. And she doesn't make any effort to lose the weight naturally that I can see. I'm constantly seeing (and commenting - although I shouldn't) on her diet as it is. She's diabetic for pitys sake...she shouldn't be eating sweets and carbs. I don't know how to get through to her. She really has me worried. I don't know if it's denial or what.

Well, I best get moving. I do have a bunch of stuff to do.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:29 PM   #22  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone!

Just a quickie as I am on my way to bed.

I worked as a "showgirl" all weekend and I'm ready for dreamland. I did counts for Doom and it was dead. The highest count all weekend was 146 for one showtime. Horrible numbers. Very boring job.

Saturday I took Subway over to #1 Son's house so he and Honey didn't have to stop working, clean up and get something. Then I ran back to the theatre and the last showtime was 10:40 which put me not getting home until after 11:00.

Today I did the same thing, taking dinner over to the house so the guys wouldn't have to break stride. They've got the first coat of paint on the kitchen. They also took a door out so they had some drywalling to do. That always makes for another step to get the spackle to dry. At least the latest showtime they had tonight was 9:55 so I was able to get home by 10:30 but I had paperwork to do and fax before I went to bed. That's done so I thought I'd write a note and then hit the hay.

BTW, my nephew-in-law is out of rehab. He has moved into a Staybridge Suites hotel until the insurance company retrofits their house to accommodate him. I was told it should be 6-8 weeks. My niece has moved in there with him with their 3 year old son and the new baby. I've stayed at a Staybridge before and if they have one of the two bedrooms suites, you really get alot of room and a full kitchen. At least he's on the mend. So thank you all for your continued thoughts and prayers.

Food has been soso this weekend. I really haven't over indulged, but I haven't really watched either. Monday morning will bring a continued effort.

I'm going to run. Falling asleep here. Love ya bunches!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:50 AM   #23  

Smile Good morning!

Good morning ladies, A cool morning! How are all of you today? I am doing well, I think

Ate a little more points than I think I should have over the weekend, but not over my limit. Today I have my meals planned, so no problem

I started going through my winter clothes and discovered that I really need to buy some new clothes I just hate to put money into something that I hope will soon be too big, know what I mean? I have some smaller sizes, but I don't fit into them yet. The life of a dieter!

Time to go and exercise, that should warm me up! See you later, Ruth
Old 10-24-2005, 07:51 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning,

This will be a quickie. What a suckie weekend weatherwise. A blustery north wind blowing and gloomy cloudy. I had a sinus headache most of the day yesterday and especially after being out in the cold wind yesterday afternoon taking care of the horses. I woke up at 2:30 am with a bad allergy/sinus headache going and haven't slept well since. I've been debating about calling in sick today. Probably won't but I can dream about it for another 10 minutes.

Lilion - I wondered how your garage sale was going when we had cold rain for two days. Glad to see you had success! That bypass surgery topic is a touchy one these days. To me, it forces people into being able to lose weight when they can't/won't follow through with long-term health changes but it requires habit changes too. Good luck as this is a hard situation to deal with.

Thin - I'm so happy for your DH. About darn time they made it up to him for jerking him around earlier in the year. That is really good news about your nephew.

Ruth - I'm trying to hold off buying any winter clothes until they can be a smaller size. The rate I'm going these days, it will be next winter!

Have a good day!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:12 AM   #25  
Hang In There

Thin, great news about Honey's new job. Now if OleAlvin can get the job he interviewed for Thursday, they will have something to talk about if Honey decides to come to Dallas with you in a couple of years!!! And I woudnt mind having to live in a Staybridge Suite for 6-8 weeks,especially if housekeeping came in every day.

Terri, I'd like to hear more about the med your DH is on. It sounds like the med I was supposed to be on in the research study that I got kicked out of a few years ago.

Lillion, Ruth and everyone else, great luck staying OP. I wish I could get my act together...

Today is SIL's breast cancer surgery, so I'd better get ready to get to the hospital. Keep all of us in your prayers.

ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:16 AM   #26  

Smile Good morning!

Here I am again, early bird, that's me! (just had to use that cute carrot).

I think I am doing well with planning my meals now. That and the fact that my Mom is watching ever bite I eat! She doesn't say anything, (I feel the diapproval) but soaking wet this woman weighs 112! She was around two hundred when she was younger, and all of my life I have heard how she lost it and kept it off. I am not sure that ever helped me one bit as I got bigger and bigger. I would sneak eat since I could never eat a regular meal at the table. You know, I don't think I ever thought of that until I just wrote it. I am sure there is a lesson in there somewhere.

Barb, I said a prayer for your SIL and your DH. I hope everything works out well for all of you. You will eventually get back to being OP. Just hang in there! It is tough to stay on track in the best of times and stress does't help us a bit!

Terri, hope you are feeling better this morning. If we work the program right, we will both be buying those new clothes before you know it. If it is next winter, well so be it! Let's just get there!! I am so tired of being fat!

Lilion, Your beef stew sounds yummy for this time of year. I think you found the perfect way to build your wardrobe, sell some buy some.

Well ladies, that is about all for this morning. Have a terrific OP day. Iwillbe....Ruth
Old 10-25-2005, 09:32 AM   #27  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Tuesday. What a boring day. Not nearly close enough to the weekend. I'm so far behind at work, but I really want to call in one day. Seems only right - I keep getting piled with other peoples hearings when they call in...every time I take time off it's in the afternoon when I don't have any!

Okay, gripe about work done.

Ruth: The beef stew was good. Unfortunately, I'll be eating it for days! I made too much. The recipe called for six cups of water and I thought it didn't look like enough. So I used 10 and two more bullion cubes. Then I added a bunch of carrots and potatoes to fill up all that base....We have enough for an army! My mom was a large woman. I'm sure should would have gone 300 lbs and was about 5'6". Needless to say, she didn't bug me about my weight - in our house food was a good thing. We were not only encouraged to clean our plate, we were encouraged to eat seconds. There was a saying that, if you ate everything on the table, it would be a clear day tomorrow! I worry about how I raise DS now. I keep hearing myself say, "Clean your plate or you don't get dessert" or "Quit messing around and eat." DH is even worse than I am. Sometimes I tell him to stop, if my parents only let me eat what I wanted I might not be fat now. By the same token, I can't let the boy eat two bites of dinner and then stuff himself with dessert. I've made a rule that, if he doesn't clean his plate, he has to wait at least an hour for dessert...that way he isn't walking away from the table hungry just so he can get dessert.

Anyone have any other ideas???

Barb: Keeping my fingers crossed for you hubby's job prospects. Sorry to hear about your SIL. I'm so overdue for my mamogram it isn't funny. I suppose I better get to that.

Terri: Hope you are feeling better! I hate the nasty head-cold like stuff you get thie time of year! Eat lots of chicken soup - it not only works - its OP!

Thin: I had to laugh when you initially commented about Doom. Doesn't seem like your cup of tea It is something I expected DH to want to see. He loves that stuff! But apparently, it wasn't a very good video game, so he isn't interested. Thank God! I must admit, I tend to like the movies he does, I've even seen both Resident Evil movies - but I at least wait until they are on TV. I agree with you, all major celebrations and holidays seem to involve food. Halloween is all about the candy. Then there's Thanksgiving - one of my big downfalls I LOVE turkey (especially the crispy skin ) and candied sweet potatoes and stuffing and ....you get the idea! Christmas is candy and another feast! New Years pretty much requires munchies, Valentines day - candy - birthdays - cake and ice cream! And on and on! When we want to celebrate anything, good grades, promotions, anniversaries - you go out to dinner. Even my medieval reinactment stuff regularly involves a feast. We're a very food oriented people, that's for sure!

Well ladies, I'm calling the Dr. as soon as my 8:30 hearing is done. I can't take the TOM situation anymore. Actually, it's about to become TOW - time of the week! Every two weeks was bad. Five days is unbearable! This is NOT normal - no matter how old and fat you are! I HATE this. I don't like going to my regular Dr. for female stuff. Not that I don't trust him...I just like having different Dr.'s for different "parts". But HMO's being what they are..... Anyway, time to get this nonsense under control!

I'm late. Must get to my hearing. Not that they can start without me!

Have a good, happy, healthy, OP day ladies!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 02:02 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 340/240/155

Height: 5'3"

Talking Finally!

Woo Hoo!

I did it, I am finally under 300, I went to my TOPS weighin and the scale read 299 thats a loss of 5 1/2 pounds since October 11. I was not even expecting this, I figured 3 pounds lost at the most but WOW! : I am gonna stick with the lowcarbing as best I can since my doctor suggested it.

You all have great week, cause I will too.
joe anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:38 PM   #29  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Default New to the neighborhood

Hello Ladies,
I've posted on the main 300+ thread, but I'm new to "Old Hens". Since I'm 45 and struggling to get re-started, I hope it's ok to join you. I've read the last number of posts, but it sounds like you all have a lot going on, so I'll take a bit to get up to speed.

I'm trying to get going on SB again, or at least seriously limit my refined sugars and starchs. That worked great for me last May-July when I lost 30 pounds, but I've been stuck since then. Since I'm not driving truck full time anymore, I have no excuses - and I've bought a horse I've dreamt of for 15 years and I don't want to watch somebody else ride him!

Terri - I love your "Donut called" line! and as a fellow horse person, I really hope all your ponies are better soon... no offense - I call them all ponies even if their 17 hands.

Best wishes to everyone!
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:41 PM   #30  

Joe Anne: Good for you and Welcome to the Two's!

Doubt I'll be there long if I keep eating like I just did! Had a cruddy morning and was in such a mood at lunch I bummed a cigarette (I quit years ago, but still bum one very rarely - like once a month or less) then ate 18 pts for lunch and then had a candy bar!!!

And I'm still ticked off!

Valerie: Welcome the the Old Hens!

Last edited by Lilion; 10-25-2005 at 02:43 PM.