Old 10-04-2005, 10:16 AM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Old Hens - 40+ And Ready To Lose - Volume 13

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:25 AM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! Remember me???

This is just going to be a quickie with no replies, I'm afraid. Time has not been my friend lately. I don't even have time to go back and check on what I told you last so if some of this is a repeat, please forgive me.

We have pretty much been in house-buying mode here for the past six weeks. It started when #1 Son found a house he wanted Honey and I to take a look at and then he subsequently put a bid in on it.

About a week before he found his house, the "Baby" decided that he was going to start looking for a house as well. YIKES!!! Nothing like giving his momma a heart attack. So off he went with a Real Estate agent looking for houses.

We went through inspection on the first house, no surprises. It's an older house and an older homeowner and not much has been done by way of improvements. It's a nice little ranch with a huge garage and a huge, parklike backyard. The interior is mostly pink, not the best color for a young man so as you can probably guess that will all be changed. #1 Son is being smart and staying here until he gets it all painted and puts new carpeting in since we pointed out how much easier it is to do these things while the house is still empty.

The "Baby" found his house about a week after #1 Son. We went to see two with him as he was undecided as to which one he really wanted. It was clear to him after the second trip through which one was the better option. His is a colonial with a two car garage and a decent backyard. The house is updated with a very nice size kitchen, fireplace in the living room and a nice addition. He put in an offer, had it inspected, found it needed a new roof, went back and re-negotiated the price and then signed. He will close around the 19th of October.

NEXT, I went to Shipshewana. I spent far more than I wanted to, but that's what happens in Shipshewana. I bought some great paring knives (Rada). If you've never seen or used them, they are the BEST!! I managed to walk and keep up with the others but it was hot (high 70's, hot for me) and we called it quits around 3:00. We had a really nice "girl's day out".

I was gone Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. When I got home, Thursday, I did laundry and tried to catch up with things around here. Friday morning, Honey and I left for Traverse City. The boss' condo was beautiful, as was the view. The 58 steps increased to 63! YIKES! Truth be told it really wasn't THAT bad as there was a small landing every 8-9 steps and I rested several times going up the hill.

#1 Son "closed" on his house this past Friday. It was a 3 hour closing because they messed up all the paperwork AND he didn't get his "attorney's copy" until 11:00 in the morning and the closing was at 3:00 so he couldn't look things over ahead of time. ARGH!!! He took possesion on Saturday morning. WHAT A MESS!!! They couldn't even throw out their garbage!!!! There were leftovers still in the fridge, the freezer still had frozen berries and other stuff in it. The counter was covered in breakfast remnants! What PIGS!!!

Sooooo, needless to say, we've been a bit tied up clearing out, stripping wallpaper and washing stuff down.

In the meantime (or as well as) on Sunday I ran around to pick up some stuff that we weren't prepared with ahead of time. I found a garage sale with a 4 piece leather living room set (sofa, loveseat, chair, ottoman). I called #1 Son and he came out to look at it but it was too big for his 14'x14' living room. So I called the "Baby" and he came out to look at it and decided it would be a good fit for his house. Got a nice price on it too!

Yesterday, I went to my MIL's and went through all kinds of stuff that she had for the boys. I picked up silverware and a bunch of glasses and utensils. Then I stopped at the $$$$ store and picked up a bunch more.

I ended up over at #1 Son's house and washed all the curtains and dried them, cleaned the bathroom, and then worked on lining all of the cupboards. Honey came over after work and spackled all the nail holes and I continued doing the shelf liner as #1 Son installed his deadbolts in the doors.

Well, I'm sure this is more information than you really care about. Sorry. Just wanted to let you know what I've been tied up doing when I'm not here. This has been really nerve wracking for me. I keep wanting to make sure that they are BOTH set up with the things they need. It's making me NUTTS!!! I know I should be letting them take care of themselves for the most part, but I just can't help it.

Anyway, that's my life in a nuttshell. I hope you all are doing well.

JoeAnne: Good to see you, I'm sorry you're having kid issues.

Terri: Glad you were able to show the horses who's boss. Good for you sticking it out.

Leanne: 16 hour days!!!! YIKES, girl! Time to take some time for you. Hope things slow down for you real quick.

Judy: Nice to see you checking in. I'm sorry your little kitty is gone. [[[hugs]]] 15 years is a long time to become attached to a pet. My Max is 11 and even though pretty much all he does is eat, sleep and poop I don't know what I'd do without him here to greet me when I come in each day.

Ruth: Those home remodel projects really tear up the routine. Just think how nice everything is going to look when it's all done.

Lillion: Being on a tight budget is the pitts. Your lifestyle rendition mimmicks ours completely "we live paycheck to paycheck.....this is what you get when you buy things without thinking...and we haven't used our brains in a while."

Kim: I'm so sorry you've been so sick. I sure hope you're feeling better. [[[hugs]]]

BarbG: You're certainly going to have a houseful of cats. I hope they all learn to get along with each other.

Anne: Whatever happened with the job interview. Did you get it???

Becca: Welcome!!!! What happened to you? You posted once and then haven't returned. Please stop back in and see us.

Catherine: Have you left yet for your great Northern adventure? Can't wait to hear all the details when you get back.

Sandy: Ok, girl, you emailed me and then didn't respond back. Where are you? Are you peeking in? Jump in here anywhere and start posting.

Tina: Where have you gone off to again? Hop in here and post. We miss you.

Michelle: You were here for a bit too. Come on back and join the party.

Ok, girls, I think I caught up with everyone even though I didn't think I would have time to do that. If I missed you, it's not on purpose. *sigh*

Let's try and get this thread back up and bumpin'. It's after Labor Day, the kids are back in school, it's time to sharpen up our "program" skills and get moving. It's also time to re-connect with our old friends here and become more regular posters again (ok, some of you have held this thread together for the last little while and I really appreciate that).

It's the 4th of October. We have just shy of 12 weeks until Christmas. That's 25 pounds we can all be down by then if we buckle down right now! Let's do it, girls! WE HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE OUR LIVES!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 01:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 340/240/155

Height: 5'3"

Talking Finally

Hey Ladies
Just stopping in to let you all know that I finally went back to TOPS and had a turtle weigh-in, and this was since August 23.
So I am at 305 currently and I am going to do Thinthinkers challenge (12wks2Christmas) and lose at least 12 pounds if not more.
I also wanted to thank you all for your comments and concerns about the kids, I was feeling overwhelmed cause all this seemed to be happening at once. But things are working out now and I have more ME time, now I am the happy camper
Anyway you all have a good week and I'll talk to you lighter
joe anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:48 PM   #4  

Thumbs down

Good Afternoon Ladies!

Wow, 12 weeks to Xmas! I can't belive it! Where did the time go???

I don't know about 25 lbs in 12 weeks...not with Halloween and Thanksgiving to get through and all the office snack days and feasts between now and then. 12 pounds in 12 weeks maybe...25??? Well, I'll give it a try.

Right now I am SO FAT We had a snack day at work for a woman about to leave to pick up her new daughter in China. I never do snack days, don't contribute, don't eat. Well I did this time. I brought brownies and I ate. ...and ate... ...and ate.... Serious binging today! I feel just awful and I plan on eating no dinner tonight. Well, actually I'll probably eat something, just to counteract the sweets! But not much...gag!

On the up side, I found a great new recipe. One lady brought a WW cake that is delicious. Pity I didn't know it was WW from the beginning or I could have binged on it with little impact to the diet!

Check out the recipe thread for Mandarin Orange Cake - Yummy!

Well, best go, work to do and no time to do it!!!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:29 PM   #5  
Michigan Old-Timer

JoeAnne: Glad that things are leveling out at your place and the kids are getting back on the straight and narrow. More "ME" time is probably just what the Dr. ordered. It does help provide a little sanity if nothing else.

Lillion: That recipe looks GREAT and my #1 Son LOVES mandarin oranges so this will be right up his alley.

BarbPA: I'm soooo sorry I left you out this afternoon. I sure didn't mean to. Where've you been? Busy getting a nursery ready, I'm guessing. Hope you stop back in soon.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:09 AM   #6  

Hi gang, just a quick pop in to say good morning, and that I hope you are all doing well. No time to chat this morning, but I wanted to check in. Iwillbe....Ruth
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #7  
DoxieMomx2

Hi ladies! Wanted to pop in and say a quick hello and good morning! Food has been so-so, but I have managed to lose a pound over the last two days. Not making an effort to binge, but not beating myself up over a piece of chocolate or a cookie right now. At least until I get the smokes kicked completely. I have an appt. with a phsychologist tomorrow night to talk to him about my increasing anxiety attacks when driving. May not be the time to completely kick cigs, but I'll see what he says about it. Seth and I are going to Pot Luck at Church tonight, but I am bringing a WW chicken stroganoff recipe and will watch my portions.

Thin - It's good to hear from you again. You sound like you have been in a continual whirlwind!! But it does sound exciting too! I'm happy that both your boys have found good homes and mom can have some fun helping them "fix" them up!! Glad your trip(s) were good! I'm not going to commit to the challenge, but will "semi-committ" and do the best I can!

Lilion - Don't beat yourself. We all have those days and the main thing is to just get right back on that wagon and forge ahead.

Joe Anne - Glad to see things are calming down for you and you are able to get that ME time in. You need it - we all do!!!

Ruth - Keep us posted on the remodeling. Can't wait to see some pics.

Okay, I think that covers everyone for the time being. Everyone stay strong and keep your heads up!! Have a great hump-day. - Kim
DoxieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #8  
Michigan Old-Timer

Howdy! Just a quick check in.

Another night at the house. Honey and #1 Son were sanding some patchwork. The "Baby" took off all of the switchplates, which was a feat in and of itself as they were all painted right on the wall.....several times over. And I finished up the shelf liner. Now to move in stuff to the cupboards. We'll finish up spackling tomorrow and probably start painting on Saturday.

Food has been good here and there. I'm trying but it's hard to eat on any kind of plan when you're living life by the seat of your pants.

Heading for bed. See you all later.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:43 AM   #9  

Smile Good morning!

Hello ladies, I am about ready to throw in the towel! No, not on dieting, on housework! They finished with the kitchen yesterday, except for coming back to wipe down the tile. I have been in there trying to put some of the displaced stuff back in the cabinets, etc.

Next project...having the cabinets resurfaced, so I am not sure putting everything back is such a good idea. I don't know when that project will get under way. Gotta save some more money. Everything is sooooo expensive! While I was staying out of the way of the workmen the rest of my house seemed to go to H--- in a hand basket. Now it is time to start all over again! I think my exercise will be vacuuming.

Thin, I was happy to see you back here. I bet you are having a ball helping the boys get settled into thier own homes. It is a lot of work though.

I don't mean to ignore you other ladies, but I need to move on this morning. As soon as things settle down here I will have more time to spend at the computer, I hope! Just hang in there and have an OP day. I will be doing my best to follow my own advice. See ya later, I willbe...Ruth
Old 10-06-2005, 07:45 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Morning!

Just a drive-by post this morning. I've been slightly crazed trying to take care of animals, clean house, sort stuff, pack, clean, walk the dog, and put MIL in the hospital. She's got the third round of cellulitus that is now in both lower legs. Now she has a lot of lower back pain and yesterday the ER doc said she has a collasped vertebrae. She is in a lot of pain. But they are giving her morphine so that helps.

I may not be back to post until around the 15th when we get back.

Keep OP! I'll be ready to get back OP and finally making something happening.

See ya!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:30 AM   #11  

Smile Good morning!

Hello out there! I see that we are all doing these quick drop ins and that is what this is! Just a very fast good morning to all of you and hope you are all doing well. I am soooo trying to stay OP. I will be back later...I hope. Tons to do and no time to do them all. I have company coming down the road. See Ya! Ruth
Old 10-07-2005, 09:06 AM   #12  
Hang In There

Add another quck drive-by post! I've been pretty good all week. I plan on weighing in tomorrow to see if I've done any good. At least things are begining to slow down for a while.

Ole Alvin has been looking for a job all week with no luck, Hey Thin: Does Honey have any networking fingers that would reach to Texas? Since they are basically in the same "lines". Anyone else who happens to know of a job available in the Dallas area, please let us know. His degree is in Business Management, and his "area of expertiese" is material management, which includes purchasing, inventory control, production management,and warehousing. Not that we are desperate or anything!!!

Also keep my SIL Judy in your thoughts and prayers today. She had a biopsy on a mass in her breast Wednesday and is supposed to find out today whether it is cancer, and if so what stage and what needs to be done.

Hope everyone has a great day and stays OP!!!

ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #13  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

We're having a beautiful Mid-Mo day today, but COLD! Not even going to hit 60 here today and this drafty state building is soooo chilly. But better than it will be when they turn the heat on...Freeze in the summer, sweat in the winter, that's my office! We open the windows to warm up in June and to cool off in December!

Still, I LOVE autumn! My favorite time of year. I love the leaves and smells. I love sleeping under a bunch of blankets with the window open. I love wearing jeans and sweaters. I love mums and pumpkins. What a great season! I just feel good in the fall. When my mom died, years ago, it was June. I spent months just going thru the motions. It's funny, I didn't even know it at the time, but I can't really remember anything that happened between then and about October, when I woke up one morning and noticed how beautiful the colors of the leaves were and how crisp the air was. When the rest of the world was getting ready to sleep, I was waking up. Autumn always means that to me...more of a renewal than Spring...weird, huh?

Went to WI today and am happy to report all the chocolate and junk hasn't done any serious damage yet. WI showed 260 - 2 nasty lbs down! Of course, it may bite me in the butt later, but so far so good. Back on track as of TODAY. No more junk!

So, who has a three-day weekend! I do - but I don't. I've gotten behind at work and really need to come in to work on my decisions. What a pity I'm salaried. Double-time would be nice. (But they probably don't pay you when you're fixing a problem caused by screwing off at work, huh?)

Ageoldie: Hope your hubby isn't out of the game long. I know it's scary when there's no steady income coming in. Keeping my fingers crossed for you, your hubby and your SIL.

Ruth: WOW! I can't get over all the remodeling you've done! I set around trying to think of ways to spruce up my house without spending any money or hiring anyone! I have ton's of plans, but no implementation.

Thin: I love getting a house ready to move into. It's so exciting, bet your boys are psyched. Have you gotten plans for their rooms yet???

Best try to get a bit of work done ladies, less for Monday that way. Onward and downward!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 340/240/155

Height: 5'3"

Red face Prayer needed

Hey Ladies
If I'm not here for awhile then this is why. My two girls and their problems have esculated, and we (DH and I) are gonna be as tough/strict as we can to get through this problem together. So that may mean less computer time for me and the everyone in my home.

But not to worry, I am not gonna let these problems rule my life. I will not eat out of control or become a non exerciser. But if you all can, please pray for me to have peace of mind cause I am gonna need it.

Thanks
joe anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:28 AM   #15  
I'm on my way!

Default Hey!

Where the heck are all the old hens? Yeah Yeah I know....look who's talking! I lurk occasionally...just kinda busy! The hours at work kill me cause I work 3 long days and on those 2 half days I die in my bed for the afternoon so its like working 5 long days and none of my housework and stuff get done. So what do I do all weekend? It seems like cleaning house and laundry! Phew...I'm on my 3rd load this morning and still have 3 more to do...its never ending!

Plus...at work we are changing software programs on wednesday so we are getting ready for that!! Trying to make the transition as smooth as possible so the patients don't freak out on us when we don't know what we are doing!

ok back to work now...

Michelle
MichelleK is offline   Reply With Quote