Old 10-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #16  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hello everyone! Hope you're all having a great weekend. I've been busy working all week and shopping! Trying to get some bargains for the boys.

Thursday I had passed lots of Garage Sale signs and all of a sudden one "called" to me. Anyway, I had to turn around even to get to this sale that was buried deep in a subdivision. Anyway, I drove up and found two oak endtables for the "Baby" for $25. I couldn't tell you why or how I had passed so many sales that day, but this particular one just, like I said, "called" to me and it had something I was looking for. Weird, eh? *playing spooky music in the background* That's pretty much the story of my life. Either working on the house or shopping or working. My own chores have gone undone.

Ruth: Truth be told, I really am having some fun looking for good buys for the boys. I just hate to see them paying FULL price for anything. I'm a "shopper" and I don't pay FULL price for ANYTHING!!!! Must be on sale or have a coupon. Speaking of which, I got a great deal on one of those tweedy looking jackets the other day at the Avenue. They were 25% off PLUS I had a 40% off coupon. NICE deal!!!

Terri: I'm guessing you're long gone by now. Hope you have a very safe trip and a WONDERFUL time in Vegas!!!

BarbG: Prayers for your SIL. Hope there is nothing to worry about. *The only connection Jim has down there is in Juarez, Mexico. He flies into El Paso and stays there when he's working in Juarez and commutes across the border every day. I'm thinking that's not very close to you.

Doxiemom: I'm glad everyone took my 12 weeks till Christmas as a Challenge although that's not exactly what I had in mind. I'm never very good at "Challenges" I just wanted an awareness of how far Christmas still is from now and how well we really COULD do if we put our minds to it. I'm just working TOWARDS 12-25 pounds down by then.

Lillion: "Plans for their rooms?" Only took me about 30 seconds! #1 Son's room is being taken over by Honey. Currently he has his computer and desk, etc. down in the basement. He's going to move all of his Nascar die cast collection up there as #1 Son has shelves up on all of the walls, near the ceiling, where he displayed his Corvette die cast collection. The "Baby's" room is going to have my sewing machine and a vintage chest of drawers. And remember that Pilates Machine (the "evil" machine) that I bought a year ago? Well that is going in either Honey's room or mine. We also have an AirWalker that we'd like to move out of the basement and if there's room, there's also a weight bench buried down there somewhere that we'd like to put to use. We'll see if those items will get any use up there, I'm doubtful, but maybe if Honey committed to doing it with me. Who knows? But that's the plan and I'm stickin' to it.

JoeAnne: I'm so sorry that your kids continue to give you issues. Congrats on the decision to get tuff and get it straightened out. Check in when you can and know that we're all rooting for you!

Michelle: Good to see you! Sounds like work is keeping you busy. I'm guessing that you never found another job? Hope you'll check in more often. We're trying to get this thread up and rolling again now that summer is over and Christmas is around the corner.

Gotta run. I was only able to come home and quit painting because I promised to get some laundry done when I got here. Honey flies out tomorrow afternoon for Mexico for the week so I had to get some underwear and socks done for him to pack.

See you all later. Love ya bunches!!!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:04 AM   #17  

Smile Good morning!

Good morning ladies, How are you today? All is quiet here, I am the only one up and around. DH was up, but he went back to bed and is fast asleep, how I envy him! If I sleep 4 hours a night I think I am doing good. anyhoo, I thought I would take advantage of this time to write to you ladies

Lilion, It isn't so much remodeling we have done as it is painting and making things look fresh and clean. Paint is an inexpensive way of brightening up your place. I had one bathroom totally remodeled and so far the kitchen has new counter tops, sink and tiled backsplash. I am having the cabinets resurfaced as opposed to getting new cabinets, which I don't feel I can afford to do. I didn't get to put some of the features into the kitchen that I would have liked to, but it looks soo much better. The house was built in the 70s so things are getting old and worn looking, like me! You just have to do what you can and forget the rest.

Thin, I like the way you think I always try to get a bargain. My oldest daughter won't buy anything without a coupon or it being on sale or both! A really good way to save money.

Barb, I hope your DH has good luck with the job hunt. I don't know anyone in his field, wish I did. I am not sure he would want to move to Georgia though. I will say a prayer for the SIL. Hang in there, things will get better

Kim, I hope you are feeling better.

Ok, I know there is a bunch of you I haven't said anything to, but I don't have the posts in front of me and I am too lazy to go and bring them up. I will get the rest of you later. Have a wonderful Sunday. Iwillbe....Ruth
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:27 PM   #18  
BELIEVE!

Wink I'm still here!

Hi Friends!

I'm still around. I haven't abandoned you, life has just been busy as always. I am finding it more and more difficult to keep up with my cyber-buddies lately. You are never far from my thoughts.

Diet and exercise have been....well...just pain awful! I'm scared to get on the scale - I don't need to. I can feel it in my clothes and my energy level. I've been too tired to exercise, but I know I am tired because I am not exercising. I swore I would never feel like this again. It's time to change and get back my good habits. I am constantly amazed at how difficult it is to lose weight and build good habits and how easy it is to gain back and forget the good habits. I'm just putting my thoughts out there because even though they have been on my mind I haven't let them become real yet - there it is. Nothing else to do but move forward and give myself a good kick in the rear!

On a happier note....I know some of the old gang is aware of our adoption process. I haven't said much because it's been a stressful, scary, exciting.... time lately. However I am starting to feel a little more at ease and am thrilled to tell you that I AM GOING TO BE A MOMMY!!! It's a BOY!!! He was born on July 27, 2005 in Guatemala. We hope to bring him home sometime around Jan/Feb-ish. He is currently living in foster care and we receive monthly medical updates and pictures. He was a tiny little guy - 5.2 pounds at birth. At 2 months he is now up to 9.10 and appears to be doing very well. I can't wait to hold him in my arms!!! We are naming him Carlton Ramirez! The name Carlton has been in Jeff's family for several generations. The baby had 4 names at birth - the first was Carlos (coincidentally close to Carlton) and one of his 2 last names (don't ask - not sure - but all Guatemalans seem to have 2 last names) was Ramirez. That's how we came up with the name - we wanted to maintain part of his given name while at the same time having something meaningful to our family.

Jeff and I are keeping busy getting ready for our new little guy. We ordered the furniture yesterday, we've picked out the bedding and I am working on clearing out the room that will become his nursery. I hope to start painting in the next few weeks. We've attempted to start our registry and figure out what we are doing and that's proven rather entertaining. We agreed on furniture in about 5 minutes, but we can't agree on a stroller. Fun Stuff! I love it!!!!

Oh - I'm sure you'll ask....but I can't/won't post his picture publically right now. He's not legally ours yet. Some people do share pictures before the process is final, but I don't feel comfortable doing so. Thanks for understanding. If you want to send me a private message with your e-mail we can probably arrange a peek at our little boy if you are interested.

It's getting late so I better hit the sack. Just wanted to spend a little time with my favorite ladies! I hope to catch up with you all....oh - I am out of town again this weekend Fri-Mon so I may be MIA again.

XOXOXOX
Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:39 AM   #19  

Smile Good morning!

How is everybody doing this morning? I feel pretty darn good myself. I made a commitment to stick to my points with a vengence this week, and by george, I am gonna do it! So there! I was starting to drift away from the plan too much, so I am going to actually count my points and see what happens. It has got to be better than what I was doing right?

For the time being there are no projects going on in my house other than cleaning out closets and utility room. We have this rather large inside storage room that is full of baking dishes, pans, cooking utensils etc. More than I will ever use, so I am putting the ones I know I won't use in a box and giving them to the kids if they want them, or to someone that needs them. I always say we have too much stuff!

barbPa, So happy for you! I am sure that baby will be well loved and the center of your universe. Drop in more often and let us hear how things are going.

Time to go and do the huff and puff thing See you all back here later??? Come on gang, talk to us! We need to get this thread more active. Iwillbe...Ruth
Old 10-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #20  
Hang In There

Quote:
Diet and exercise have been....well...just pain awful! I'm scared to get on the scale - I don't need to. I can feel it in my clothes and my energy level. I've been too tired to exercise, but I know I am tired because I am not exercising. I swore I would never feel like this again. It's time to change and get back my good habits. I am constantly amazed at how difficult it is to lose weight and build good habits and how easy it is to gain back and forget the good habits. I'm just putting my thoughts out there because even though they have been on my mind I haven't let them become real yet - there it is. Nothing else to do but move forward and give myself a good kick in the rear!
Hey Barb, we share more than a name!!! If I could be thin and healthy just by thinking about what we know we should do... Well, I'd be a healthy knock-out!!! As I write here, I'm sitting in my gown with my swimsuit in my lap, letting the time get away from me so I don't have time to go exercise. Well, it's not happening!!! I'm off here and getting my butt in gear, and leaving.

I'll check in again tonight.

ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:51 AM   #21  

Wink Laughing so hard!

Hey Barbg. thanks for the cartoon thingy. LMAO! Ruth
Old 10-10-2005, 02:54 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 332.4/228.4/175

Height: 5'11"

Hey ladies. I'm back. Sorry to have disappeared for awhile. I am back on track again. I think I finally had that aha moment where everything clicked for me. I started on 9/19 and have lost 14 lbs so far. Also my size 26s are too big and the size 24 jeans that I'm wearing are getting looser. Won't be too long before they are too big as well. I'm basically watching what I'm eating, trying to eat more balanced. More fruits and veggies, less junk. I'm drinking water or flavored water instead of soda. I am also going to the gym for 1 hour at least 3 days per week doing a mix of cardio and weight machines. I feel so much better than I have in a long time. I have broken down my weight loss into 10% goals. It makes it seem easier that way. I also haven't set a time frame for these goals as that always seems to set me up for disappointment. I only weigh once a week on Mondays and also do my measurements once per month so next Monday I will get to see how I am doing inch wise. Well that is the update on me.
I wanted to say hello to all the old hens and also to anyone new who I haven't gotten to know yet. Thin- I did want to say congrats on your boys buying their own homes. How exciting. I love decorating. BarbPa- congrats on becoming a mommy. I know you've waited a long time for this. You will be a great mommy. It is the most rewarding job in the world. Your baby boy is very lucky. Hope to hear more about him in the months to come. I can't reply to everyone else right now. Hope to pop in later.
Steph
bobsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:52 PM   #23  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi all! It's been a fairly lazy day for me. WooHoo! Finally!

I had just a couple of jobs to do today so I got out early and did them. One was lunch but it was a "take out" lunch so I brought it home. #1 Son is sicker than a dog, snorting, sneezing, coughing. I rubbed his chest with Vick's Vapo Rub last night and bundles him up. I also told him I knew he was old enough to Dr. on his own but that my advice was that he take a sick day today (as he NEVER does that) and stay home and in bed or on the couch all day. He slept a good portion of the day while I futzed around in the office.

I went shopping this afternoon as the local Value City had 20% off all of their coats and I had seen men's leather bomber jackets there for $49.95 last week + 20% off today made them just over $40 a piece, pretty good deal.

I found a really cute evening bag for myself too while I was there. Mine pretty much bit the dust last season and I've been looking for something.

Steph: It's sooooo good to see you! Glad you're back on track and ready to rock and roll. Well, actually, it sounds like you're already rock and rolling on the way down the pounds. Good for you!

BarbG: So did you put that suit on something more than your lap??? I hope you got it in gear. I'm sure it would make you feel better.

Ruth: So how did counting go today? Did you keep up with it? NOT journalling is my very worst habit. I acknowledge that I would do so much better if I did it, but I just don't seem to be able to commit to it consistantly.

BarbPA: Hope you have a wonderful time on your trip. You're just the jet setter these days. *I can't wait for you to have your little bundle to yourself. I heard of all kinds of weather troubles in Guatemala lately, I hope everything is ok where he is.

Well, girls, time to go relax and be a couch potato. See you all soon. Love ya bunches!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:37 AM   #24  

Smile Good morning!

Hi gang, Grab a cupa and come and visit for a spell. (sounds like Beverly hillbillies HUH? )

Have you ever tried to clean out a closet and throw out "stuff". impossible! I tried to do it, but I kept thinking that I might need this sometime or other. I wound up putting a whole lot of things back. I did box some pots and pans for the kids though. I have noticed that I do the same thing with the clothes closet. I bet I have three or four different sizes in there, most of them in storage boxes, just taking up space. More than likely they are waaaay out of style. Crazy isn't it?

I did count my points yesterday, yes indeedy! Kept track of every bite. It kept me from tasting of the soup I was making to see if the seasoning was right. I know that I have more calories than I count at times because of the taste test. It is so easy to believe that those bites don't count!

Okay gang, let's go and See ya later, Iwillbe...Ruth
Old 10-11-2005, 08:08 AM   #25  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I guess I qualify as an old hen, being 40 and all...

Sorry about the long hours at work...I work 10 hr days myself. It seems like I'm hardly home before I have to come back!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:22 AM   #26  

Hi Jen, welcome to our "hen" party. Iwillbe....Ruth
Old 10-11-2005, 09:44 AM   #27  
Michigan Old-Timer

Mornin', ladies! Hope everyone slept well last night.

Honey's been gone 3 nights and I've slept pretty good, surprisingly. #1 Son got up and went to work this morning after crashing on the couch most of yesterday. I'm taking Echinecea and Vitamin C in the hopes of NOT getting his cold!

I was pretty much a slouch yesterday.

Ruth: WOO HOO for you! You counted your points! That's great, and an amazing realization I bet. Keep it up. Only 20 more days and it will be a habit!

Jen: Welcome to our little corner. I see you've been around the boards for awhile. Glad to have you joining us. Tell us about yourself so we can all get to know each other.

Well, girls, I've pretty much blown the morning. I've got to get the paperwork done from yesterday's job and then head out for today's batch. See ya later. Love ya bunches!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #28  

Good Afternoon Ladies!

Just a quickie "drive-by" post. Nothing to report, but I'm checking in and checking out all the other posts!

Welcome Jen!!! You'll just love these ladies!!!

Ageoldie: Funniest signiture EVER!

Later,
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:01 AM   #29  

Smile Good morning!

Hello ladies, How are you this morning?

I am still counting my points, but I can't say I enjoy having to do that. Have any of you tried the core plan? I am just wondering if that would be easier. I know, there is no easy way to do this, is there?

Not much going on around here to talk about right now. I have been totally lazy the last couple of days. After I finished in the utility room I had planned to move on to the linen closet and reorganize that. blah! I stalled out on that one. I think I will just take a few days and be a real slug. (other than planned exercise. You all know how much I enjoy that. )

Come on out everybody and let us hear about your daily dos. Time to go and do that thing! Iwillbe...Ruth ps, ohhh, I love the new smilies, gotta use one
Old 10-12-2005, 07:50 AM   #30  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Hiya old hens! Just starting my work day here. It's Wednesday, so not a big deal today.

My boyfriend is lamenting about how much weight he has gained, but he is not doing anything about it. I don't offer him advice unless he asks for it, because I do not want to be perceived as nagging him. I love him no matter what he weighs, but I know he wants to be about 50 lbs ligher. If he sets his mind to it, he can lose it fast! Faster than me!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote