Old 01-08-2005, 10:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ and ready to try again... #628

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who many weigh or have weighed 300+. This group was formed to provide a safe place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

There is no weight requirement to belong.
We can all learn from each other.
We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have a bi-weekly 2x2 Challenge.
Our goal is to lose 2 lbs in 2 weeks.
We have a long term goal of losing 300+ lbs within our 300+ group in 2005.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning gang!

I'm glad its Saturday and I don't have a lot I have to do today. I'm going to watch cooking shows and clean house.

I've done really well this week towards my goals. One of my goals was to earn 25 activity points a week. I'm at 22 as of yesterday. Plus DH and I have been very faithful to our daily point plan. We've saved our flex points for the weekend.

We're having a special meal out tonight. We're going to a seafood restaurant that DH has wanted to try for a long time. My brother and his fiance are joining us. Should be a fun evening.

We have been in a frozen tundra for several days. No sunshine or thawing. Everything is covered in ice then snow. Reminds me of Doctor Zhivago.

Great discussion going about being up front with family and friends about weight. For several years, I would never tell DH what the scale said or what size clothes I wear. Nor would I exercise in front of him. But as part of accepting the reality of my physical shape and needing help, I finally told him and now exercise in front of him. I just threaten to punch him if he comes in and says something stupid like...what are you doing? He knows I do Tae Bo too and the punch would hurt. I used to be so sensitive about the spare tire fat roll that it would humiliate me to have it visible under clothes. But if I look around at other women, there are lots that have it too so there's no reason to feel like I'm the only one and that everyone is staring at me. I think its an important step to fully embrace and accept who you are now which includes being able to discuss with family and friends. When you can really feel "I am who I am" then you can be more successful at making permanent changes. I'm sure this sounds like I'm obsessed with Dr Philisms but his book really helped me change my mindset which has freed me from a lot of emotions that were holding me back.

Okay, DH is trying to put sports on the TV so I have to go snatch the remote away.

Have a good weekend!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #3  

Terri-
You are braver than I! I would be very embarrassed if DH knew how much I weighed or my size. I know he would care...he loves me no matter what, but still. Maybe when I get under 200 I will tell him. hehhehehehe
Jibbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:03 AM   #4  
Christine

S/C/G: 340/328/150

Height: 5'4"

Post Blah

Hi everyone,

Well, we all got over the 36 hour flu bug we had, but now Jenniah and I have come down with nasty colds. Scratchy throat, stuffy nose, cough. Geez. DH and I were in bed before 10:30 pm last night, but I couldn't sleep with a stuffy nose and I thought I had some decongestant spray but I didn't. So, I am giving myself permission to stay in my jammies and do nothing all day. I cleaned the apartment last night so I don't feel too guilty. DH works from 1-7 pm and has given me direct orders to rest and not do anything except take care of little one. What can I say...he is the best. Her big brother is with us this weekend, so I'll be calling on him to play with her and help out a bit.

Whine, whine, sorry folks. I have read everyone's posts and there are some great discussions going on. I wish I had the energy to respond to people but alas, I don't. WELL done to everyone staying OP. I am tired and am going to go curl up on the couch with hot tea w/honey and watch cartoons with little one. Have a great day.
eddies_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #5  
Warrior of Grace

I never told DH how much I weighed until recently. It was part of coming to terms with the reality of where I am. I've gained 100 lbs over the past year and I wasn't facing reality. So when we started this program (he's doing Body for Life with me, even though he has only about 10 lbs to lose. He wants to eat healthy and build his bod) I came clean about it. He was wonderful. He has never said a negative thing about me.

Don't get me wrong, my weight gets in the way of our sex life (TMI? - Sorry) and he's up-front about that, but he's always been real sensitive and sweet and honest about it, never calling names or complaining about it.

I have always exercised in front of him. If he wants to watch my ample self doing lunges or bench presses, he's welcome. Don't know why he would, though...

Sit-Up Saturday - I did my cardio this morning. A 30-minute walk in the hills around our house. Did I mention that we live in the high-desert country, outside a small town up in the mountains? Well, let me tell you, there's nothing more motivating than hearing a pack of coyotes whooping and hollering in the distance and then a few minutes later, hearing them whooping and hollering again... much closer. I jammed up that hill!

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Qadira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:31 AM   #6  
BELIEVE!

Hi Gals!
Happy Saturday! Sorry, I have not had a chance to read all the posts I've missed in the past couple days, but I thought I'd still pop in for a moment.

As for the height question.... I am 5'8".

It's been a good/bad week around here. The stress is starting to build as we near our next IVF cycle. I have less than 2 weeks until I start the stim injections (all in the butt this time - ouch!). I went in for a procedure on Thursday where the Dr. used a little camera thing to look inside my uterus. It was a quick and not too uncomfortable procedure. Very cool to see that on a tv screen. Jeff and I both agreed that it made us even more in awe of the miracle of childbirth! Anyway, I got the all clear on that so we are able to proceed. Then, the same day DH went back to the urologist - it's official that he has a testicular infection. He's on 30 days of anti-biotics and anti-inflammatory meds. Dr. said it will take about 2 months to completely get back to normal. Poor guy! However, the good news was that the Dr. called me back into the office to present us with the report from DH's surgery. The "swimmers" they got officially looked good!

As for my weight loss and healthy lifestyle....I have been struggling with food and exercise, but doing my best with it. I find that during the week it's much easier for me. I got 3 days in a row of exercise earlier this week, then had to take 2 days off from the procedure - I was instructed to do nothing the day of it and the next day do what I could --- I still have some mild cramping from the saline they injected. Food has been iffy, but I am working on it.

I hate to come in here and talk all about my IVF stuff and not much about weight loss, but right now I have to balance my priorities.

Now I realize I am rambling on...sorry. I have to run out to the video store!
Make it a great day!
xoxox
Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #7  
Dancing those pounds away

Smile Sit back.. this will take awhile. LOL

Memoe/MaryB .. I just love your avatar. :sman:
It is finally the weekend so no driving on that ice today.
Is it still bad weather there ??

marcie.... What a beautiful wedding !!! My daugher planned her wedding while going to classes and working too. It can be overwhelming. You were a beautiful bride.
Congratulations on your 5 lbs !!!

Grannie/Mary .. so good to see you coming back.
Sometimes we just need a break.
I hope some of the other mia's come back soon too.

BarbPA ... glad you popped in to say hello. I sure hope you can find some time this weekend to fill us in on your life. You are missed. {{ HUGS }}
Well .. I am editing here... you posted on this thread... and I started writing replies from the last thread.LOL
I am sorry to hear hubby is still suffering... but happy you have some good swimmers.
I will never be able to "swim" again without thinking of your hubby.
Never apologize for sharing your efforts to concieve. We are here for you.
I pray everything works out for you both this time. We love you.

Barbg.... THANK YOU for my snowmen !!!! :sman: :sman:
They definitely put a HUGE SMILE on my face.
You will definitely get results eating that salmon. I watched a special where they said salmon and green tea was a gurarantee for weight loss. They highly recommended berries, especially blueberries too , instead of the normal fruits we eat.

Oadira ... what cute 4 legged babies !!! Thanks for posting them.
I too am a control freak. You need something more fun for Fridays. LOL
What did you end up doing ? I did not get any of my fun Friday done. We got an unexpected ice and sleet come through so I stayed home.
It is suppose to get into the 50's today and 60's then until Thursday.

Thin.... unlike your weathermen .. ours are "usually" right. LOL
I do remember in 1981 back in Missouri.... they predicted "small snow flurries ,,, no accumlations" We ended the day with 26 inches !!! That was a beautiful site... untill it all had to melt and change to mush. LOL
I really enjoyed seeing your growth in that last post.

Roziegirl /Kerri... WELCOME to our group. I remember those days when I first found this site ... and I could not pry myself away too.
We had another Kerri ... but I haven't seen her posting in a while. Hope she comes back soon.
We have several others in our group struggling to get pregnant too.
Don't give up hope. My neice tried unsuccessfully for years... finally adopted a sweet little girl 3 years ago. Now she is pregnant with a son. It took her a longgg time .. but she did finally get pregnant.

Thin... I wish my windows were that clean. I think it was just a Stupid bird.

CD ... I was 5' 3" ... but everyone tells me I am now closer to 5'1 or 5' 2"
Unfortunately .. that is how W I D E I am too.
Actually that is not funny. LOL
People body builds are definitely different. It amazes me too how we can all weight the same but look so totaly different. Some have bird legs, I have elephant legs.
Some have 30 lb boobs... others of us have 30 oz boobs. LOL
I am one of those with the ugly apron ... others have none.
The ability to work out and exercise is just as adverse too.
I know age makes a huge difference. When I was younger... my weight did not keep me from doing anything... but today I can barely do anything. Grrrr
It really is best to lose this weight while young.

Ruby... if you want to see someone BIGGER than you...
come visit me here in Okla. LOL
I hold the title for being the biggest everywhere I go.
I too have a daughter nearly 6 ft tall. She carries her weight very well. BUT ... is starting to gain some weight and I hate to see that.

CD ... I just realized something about weights and age due to your comments about weighing more than your mom but clothes fit you better.
When I was young... my weight included more MUSCLE weight than now old.
Muscle weight weighs more. If you had a clump of muscle the size of a cantalope... it would weigh more than the same size clump of fat. Plus muscle is tight... fat is flabby.
Really made me want to go work out with some weights to build up my muscles.

Oceangirl ... I could relate with your post. My mom never laughed at me... but she certainly made many "comments" about my size. I don't think she meant to hurt me so much... but she did. She hated her mom being fat too .. so I grew up my entire life listening to her complain about her mom's weight and all other FAT people. I never understand how she could complain, criticize and just be hurtful about other fat people around me. I obviously was fatter than them. I guess it was her way to say them to me.. without saying them to me... If you know what I mean. It makes me sad remembering.

Skittles... sounds like you are VERY BUSY with your new home.
You asked about exercising in front of our spouses......
NOT !!!
That is problem for me to exercise in front of anyone.!!! I stay away from gyms so I don't have to exercise in front of anyone. LOL
It takes every ounce of courage I have to swim in front of anyone.
This body in a bathing suit is NOT a pretty site.

Terri... I agree with your post 100%. We do need to accept ourselves where we are.
It may not sound like it from my last post to Skittles.. LOL .. but I have made big strides in this area of my life. I have not perfected it yet.
But I must say... it is much easier to accept yourself ...when you are being accepted by others. When your weight is not accepted .. it is harder to do.... BUT STILL DOABLE.

Eddiesheart/Chris ... hope you get feeling better soon.
Don't you just hate those 24-36 hour flu bugs.

Okay... WAKE UP everyone. I am done rambling.
Sorry I was so long winded. Just wanted to make sure I got everyone addressed.
I can't believe I am saying this.. but ... this is one time I am glad no one else posted. I have taken hours to reply to everyone here.
That does not mean I don't miss all of you MIAs... I DO !!!
Some of you have been gone a longggggg time... others just a thread.
Hope all of you come back soon.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #8  
You and Me in 2003

Hello my fellow chickies
Today is Genealogy meeting day so I am here at the lIbrary setting up.
Fod is getting better but DH wants to go out tomrrow. I told him only if we could go somewhere healthy. I think we are going to Applebees. I will stay op.

It's good to see so many new faces around here but I ish some of our old faces would come back

The weather here in Mississippi is up and down all during Christmas we had a cold snap but it has been in the 60-70's this week. Back in November our children's librarian's trailor was destroyed by a tornado. Thankfully her children wern't at home at the time or they might have been killed.

Boy it sure seems strange just DH and I being at home now, with son gone but hey I like it. we can do things we couldn't with him living here.
I don't have to cook as much which is good. I have started buying diet meals mostly for during the week.

Son and future DIL haven't set a date yet but they are saying spring. I want to give them a shower though so they better decide soon

Well I better shutup and get busy before people start arriving.
Grannie39074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #9  

I’ve tried typing out what a want to say a few times now and can’t get it right. So Reader’s Digest condensed version: These issues of sharing our personal struggles with family, friends and furniture are LOADED with emotion. My hope is that I won’t have to deal with them someday, but for now I am avoiding a lot, another way of not dealing with stuff. That is one of the reasons I am determined to lose this weight somehow. I don’t want to spend time and energy wrestling with well meaning people, sabotaging type people, and armchairs. My life is tick tick ticking by and everybody else is out dancing. I’ve had a rough day yesterday and today, I can’t seem to get my feelings on the keyboard.

Skittles – I’ve never felt shy about exercising in front of hubby. It shows him I’m not sitting on the couch. Plus, he has seen me naked, what do I care if he sees me huff and puff on the treadmill fully clothed? Plus, I do WAY more exercise than his skinny @ss ever does, and I’m proud of it!

2cute – as I have seen my daughter get bigger over the years it has hurt more than seeing myself do the same. I am finally realizing what my mother felt watching me as a child. I used to judge her for her attempts at my weight when I was a kid, but now I know where all the angst is coming from.

Well this has started out as a lousy day, but I feel a bit better now, and once again after reading you ladies I am motivated to get on with my workout – THANKS GIRLS!
therubyslippers!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #10  
Leanne

Unhappy Sick

Hi all from one of the missing-in-action people.

I have had a horrible tummy bug for the last couple of days with high fevers and its made me as weak as a kitten. Writing this with the laptop on my lap, laying in bed, is exhausting me - I type a sentence and then rest for a while! For someone who is as busy as I am usually, it feels very frustrating and awful.
I am going to go back to sleep again in a minute, but I just wanted to check in and say hi and that I havent dropped off the edge of the earth.
hippygoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:19 PM   #11  

Good grief that sounds horrible! hope you are feeling better soooooon!
Old 01-09-2005, 12:50 AM   #12  
Dancing those pounds away

Grannie/Mary ... did you make it to Applebee's ?? I must have been thinking of you when we went to Chimi's because I got out my free appetizer coupon for Applebee's and tried using it at Chimi's. The waitress was dumbfounded. LOL She took the coupon and read every word on it. Then she mumbled that she didn't think they accepted this for a free appetizer. I of course , calmly explained to her there was no expiration date or restrictions on it. She still stood there speechless. I then asked her... "why wouldn't you honor it ? " She quitely said... "It's not our coupon , this is for Applebees".
What a dufuss I was. :duh:

Enjoy your time alone with your DH. You never know when someone might move back in again. Maybe with "grandbabies"

RUBY .... I thought you expressed yourself fine. I can relate to those feelings.
I often call myself "The Qeen of Denial"
I do fine while in this state of denial. BUT ... when issues force me to face reality sometimes it is HARD. I learned many years ago to deal with my feelings on a daily bases... but somehow strayed from that practice. I need to get back to them again.

I also understand what you were saying about our mothers and us now as mothers.
There is a fine line we all walk dealing with obesity in ourselves and our kids.
You want to be supportive ... but you also want your kids to nip the problem early.
How to express concern without hurting feelings or being misunderstood as judging.
Motherhood is NOT easy.

Leanne... I am sooooo sorry you are so sick. If good vibes can help get you well sooner.... here are some goodvibes being sent your way. : Please don't send any of those bugs here.

Marcie... You sure make NC sound like a nice place to live. I may have to check it out for our next vacation.

Well ... it is time for me to get moving again.
My food is good but not perfect ... yet.
It seems I have to pick one thing to give myself a "treat".
I was proud of myself at dinner. I was going to get mashed potatoes... and I told them veggies instead. I was going to eat "just one" piece of bread... but did NOT.
I was going to go get myself fast food for breakfast this morning... but did NOT.
I feel great about these choices today. Now to do it again tomorrow.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:30 AM   #13  

2cute-
It sounds like you made a lot of good food choices today! WAY TO GO!!! Also...we have not had a chance to explore NC too much, but my parents are coming for vacation in May, so I will let you know all the cool things we find!
Old 01-09-2005, 09:32 AM   #14  
I'm on my way!

Marcie, how far are you from Raleigh? Have you been to the Farmer's Market yet? Its open year round. My parents are coming in May to visit too!

Gotta get me and the boy dressed and get some more laundry and housework done. We are heading to PA and RI this Friday so I want to get everything done now so I only have the basics to do during the week before we leave!

I will be back...I promise! Michelle
MichelleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #15  
You and Me in 2003

I am doing a Happy Dance I lost 7 pounds. I know most of it is water weight but it is still 7 pounds.

We are going to Applebees today for lunch.

There will be no grandbabies for me she can't have children but thats ok.

better run grab some breakfast have shopping to do today also.

Love to all
Grannie39074 is offline   Reply With Quote