Old 12-02-2004, 05:18 PM   #16  
a work in progress...

I guess I'll state my intentions here...

FOOD:
I'll be sticking with WW. I have the online program and record my food there. It's a good tracking tool.
WATER: Aiming for 80 to 128 ounces per day.
EXERCISE: Aiming for DAILY exercise of some sort. Also sneaking in what I can...stairs instead of elevators, parking further away...(Which really takes the stress out of finding a "good spot!") Walking the dog more. Looking for ways to move more.
JOURNAL: I think I'll stick with journalling here....since I'm here everyday anyway. I like to write my thoughts down, but just don't have the time each day...and don't want the added pressure of "I blew the challenge, I didn't record..."

For the record, I know you can't "blow" the challenge by not journalling and that the point is to just do better the next day...I KNOW THAT! It's just my "all or nothing" way of thinking that trips me up frequently. I'm working on that!

So, here I go, with renewed determination!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:17 PM   #17  

Wow, you know, you really are the liveliest group! I seem to end up MIA all the time, and a dozen things have always happened when I get back.

I'll be worse than ever in December because I'll be traveling a lot and won't have web access. But my new semester's resolution is to be here every day I can.

I've been dreadfully sick the last few days: ear infection, a cough that has kept me up truly all night two nights in a row. Antibiotics seem to be kicking in at last. But I've not been exercising, and I don't even plan to today. Tomorrow I hope I'll feel up to it. Food's been good though, so I'm hanging in.

It sounds like you all are revvvvvved up for this Christmas challenge. As I did with the Thanksgiving challenge, I think I'll follow along silently. That commando turkey helped me out a lot! November was my best month in a while. (What's really funny is that my across-the-street neighbors had a huge inflatable turkey on their lawn which I saw every morning on my way to work... I kept wanting to put a picture of it up for y'all to see, but never remembered to take my digital camera with me in the a.m.) So thanks to all for tolerating me, a semi-lurker and rather lame support giver.

Claire, Welcome!
Angela_aka_Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:34 PM   #18  
Hang In There

Yea this counts as Journaling!!!

There will be no stopping me now!!! I've got the exercise and water down, a pretty good handle on the food, but boy do I hate keeping that little book with me and having to write everything down!!!

Claire

Hey chick it's good to meet up with you again. You show up in as many places on this site as I do. You still doing any water aerobics? I do them 5 days a week. but I don't Oxycize any more. I want to, but just can't motivate myself to actually do it. Sorta like journaling! This is a really great group to hang out with. Good to have you.

ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:03 PM   #19  
Dancing those pounds away

WHOA !!!!! If I had a picture of an elf I would post it about now.... because I am about to become one of those evil Santa's helper. Take your pick....

Journaling is NOT chatting on the thread. Let me repost the basics here.
Quote:
Last but not least is to JOURNAL.
We already have recorded our food plan on page one.
And we are recording what we eat each day... and HOW MUCH we eat too.
We are keeping track of our water intake.

BUT... we all know how many of us eat to stuff feelings... or to celebrate feelings ... AND WE EAT WHEN WE ARE STRESSED !!!!! Christmas is a prime time for STRESS !!!!!
Overeating is as much a MIND GAME as a food problem.
A weight loss attempt that does not deal with our emotions is like a three legged stool with only two legs. It is doomed to fall.

So ... we need to write about our feelings.
It can be as simple as MAD / GLAD / SAD. ?? ...or STRESSED ????
It can be as detailed as you want/need.
The important thing is to WRITE it out.
Maybe write out a gratitude list each day.
My comment to CD dealt with her expressing her stress and disappointment with herself in the thread. She WROTE about her EMOTIONS. I was trying to explain that we need to deal with our emotions... through writing.

In the instructions it said it can be as simple as MAD / SAD / GLAD.
Such as I was sad today because...... (fill in the blank)

You can make it simple and say you were sad today because I ate off plan. I am disappointed in myself.

Or you could go into more details and say... I was sad today because I went ate off plan. I was unable to stand up for myself and say I don't want to go out for pizza. I allow my friends to dictate to me what I will or will not eat according to their desires. I don't have to be a people pleaser any longer. It is okay for me to say no. Next time I will say.. "I would love to go eat with you but I really don't want pizza. How about we got to Denny's and you can get one of their pizza's and I can get something I like."
If they say no they want pizza at CICI's then I can say "I think I will pass this time. But thanks for asking"

Simple or detailed... but journaling is more than just posting greetings to each other.
It could even be as simple as... "I had no feelings today. I was emotionless today"
The purpose of this is to learn to recognize what is causing us to eat when we don't really want to.

Of course.. I will re-state.... these are just suggestions. You can do whatever you choose. You decide what you consider journaling.... but I really don't think just posting replys can be considered as journaling.... in my opinion only.

I also stated that FITDAY is a form of journaling. I still agree.. listing your food on FITDAY or in a book called a journal is the same. You are recording what you eat.
CD said that Fitday also had a place to record your MOOD. That is dealing with those emotions. That gets a thumbs up from this elf. LOL

Okay... now that I feel I have clarified my statement about writing about your "emotions" here is different than just "posting" .... Please feel free to do whatever or however you feel is journaling. I am not going to make anyone prove what kind of journaling they did. Maybe we should go back to Dr Phils book and read what he thinks journaling is. It is really just up to each individual.

For me... I ask myself each day... Mad, sad or glad.???
Some days I write very little... other days I bear my soul.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:48 PM   #20  

I did great today! Day 1 today, right? LOL I have a hard time keeping up around here! I'm learning though.

1) Drank all my water and working on bottle #5, which is 85oz. Yay! I'm getting good at this water thing-- it's ALL I drink now except for iced tea at lunch and sometimes at dinner. I feel like I'm going to float away today!!

2) I did almost 40 minutes at Curves... haven't been there in over a week thanks to the holidays with them being closed and my wonderful M-W at work...Blehh!!

3) Eating--did really well except for a small order of fries at Wendy's, but they still fit into my calories for the day!!

4)Journaling--heading to Fitday right now...

I love this challenge... Too cool!
~Kerri~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:32 AM   #21  
Hang In There

Oh well, at least it was a good try!!!

Old 12-03-2004, 08:23 AM   #22  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Height: 5'6"

Hey bellas!

Dear Journal:
I did great on my plan yesterday and found that I could be Strong!

I had eaten my meals and by the time I was to go home, my stomach was hollow! I mean like so hungry I could throw up! On the way home, my old haunts entered my mind and I thought about a "small" combo to fill my stomach and then I'd skip dinner. (can you see a recipe for disaster and tight clothes here?)

Then another option came to mind -- I had to eat SOMETHING or get sick. I remembered another ad I'd seen for a sandwich place that offered low-fat eats that would fill me up and not cause me to gain. Fighting the battle between drive through and get out of the car and go in, at the last minute I just pulled into the lane to the healthier place, got out, went in and ordered something healthier, and just enough so I'd be satisfied until dinner. I am so proud of me for making a better "bad" choice in an emergency! It would've been easier to hit the drive-thru, but I knew I'd wind up with a two-pound gain and self-hate.

I actually felt GOOD about me. I ate my on plan dinner and went to bed. I also made sure to double-portion my afternoon snack for today so that I'm not runnin' on empty going home.

Barb, great to see you! I don't do Oxycise any more either and my schedule doesn't allow for water aerobics, so I just stick to the treadmill and my exercise bands. I think I'll just stick with this thread -- everyone is great and I really like the loving, gentle way 2cute2Bfat encourages everyone.

Yesterday:
1) got all my food in, plus an emergency meal I didn't plan on,
2) drank 100 ounces of water
3) didn't exercise
4) journaled and recorded food over at fitday.

More later! Thanks to everyone for making me feel at home!
waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:10 AM   #23  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Day #2 (12/2) ended on a happy note--I was OP! I drank the water. I journaled. I stayed under my points allotment. I walked the walk! Literally!! So...when I stepped on the scale this morning why was the number up a 1/2 lb.?! Hmmm...the scale will NOT win this war!
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:19 AM   #24  

Barbg... It was worth a try.

Claire... your kind comment made me blush. Thank you.

Kerri... I love this challenge too. It is cool. Thanks for doing it with us.

Gail... " I walked the walk" Way to go !!!
Those little 1/2 lbs are merely fluctuations... keep walking and it will definitely go DOWN.

Gotta go get my water in. See you all later.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:19 AM   #25  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

December 3, 2004, Day #3 of Christmas Challenge:

(1) journaled--yes!
(2) stayed on program--yes!
(3) drank 64 oz. of water--yes!
(4) exercised--no...
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:30 AM   #26  
Hang In There

After that long self-bashing post I made in the regular thread, I completely forgot to journal when I went to bed last night, Never even thought about it until just now when I read Gail's post.

So Day 3
(1) journaled--no
(2) stayed on program--no
(4) exercised--yes!...

Barb.g
Old 12-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #27  

Barbg .. hope you are over your own bashing. You did not do all that bad.

I only made 2 of the 4 Friday. I drank about 58 oz so that is good.. but I forgot to finish my last bottle.
Exercise is still eluding me. Well.. I guess I am avoiding it in reality.
Barbg.. I printed out your post about ole Alvin. I want to read it again and again and again. I NEED TO EXERCISE !!!

Okay guys... don't forget today is the last day to earn this week's bonus. !!
Check out your options... you have 4 ways of earning this bonus.
I wish I could call my football game gathering a Christmas Party.
Let's do it !!!
Old 12-05-2004, 01:26 AM   #28  

Hey Claire... how did you do Saturday??
I am 3 out of 4. that darn exercise. Grrrr
I definitely have a problem there.

Okay... just had to pop in and check on Claire.
I am going to Missouri on Sunday so I won't be here until LATE if at all.

Barbg... keep your streak going !!! I am rooting for you.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:55 PM   #29  
Hang In There

Saturday day #4

(1) journaled--yes
(2) stayed on program--yes
(4) exercised--no.

I'm happy for that cause I didn't think I could stay OP at the Christmas party, but I did

Old 12-06-2004, 12:36 AM   #30  

Well my Saturday was 3 out of 4.
Sunday.. 2 out 4. I am going the wrong directions.

Actually I feel pretty good about today. (Sunday)
I went to Missouri and ate on program all day and evening. My sister ordered the best looking onion rings and I wanted soooo bad to just taste one. Just a taste.. not an order. But I remembered Barb not eating desserts at her Christmas party so I did not take a single bite. YEA ME !!

Traveling I did not want to drink all that water and not have a bathroom available. So although I don't know if it is a good enough excuse... it is what I am using.
Journal.. that one is easy for me. I don't take much credit for that one. I am an energizer bunny when it comes to journaling. LOL I guess you can tell that by how often I post. LOL

Monday... I am making a COMMITMENT to everyone in this challenge.
I WILL GET ALL 4 NICES MONDAY !!! Richie Poo and I have a date.

Don't forget .. our 2x2 is half way through.