Old 10-28-2004, 02:02 AM   #16  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

I just got home from Shakespeare Festival. Adam took me to see Macbeth. It was great fun. They had a wicked cool set, and Lady Macbeth was evil and vulnerable all wrapped up in one package. I loved it, can you tell?

I made a conscious decision to allow myself one indulgence tonight, and I stuck to it. The choice wasn't hard. I shared a small cone of roasted cinnamon almonds with Adam.

Kat, not sure what to say, but I've been in that place as recently as last week. I was going through pictures and having to face the fact that one outfit I thought I just looked hot in actually looks more like it is straining over the body of a beached whale. It was painful, so much so that my first impulse was to drown it in food. Thank you for sharing with us. It meant a lot to read someone else voicing what has gone through my own head so many times.

Thin, it is too rainy here to see the eclipse.

2cute, I am impressed! Looks like you had a great dinner, and you got to walk away with no guilt. Much better feeling than dessert any day!

Barb, you sound like you could use a huge hug. I wish I had answers for you. I think all of us have been there with lousy WI's that weren't deserved. Could it have anything to do with medications?

I've caught up with about everyone since my last post, I think. I'm off to bed now.

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:40 AM   #17  

Default Hello

I am new to 3FC and have been lurking for about a week, getting the courage up to post.

I am really glad to see this forum, because I have 215 lbs to lose, which is just so overwhelming.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone, and having some support and accountability, as well as being a shoulder for others to lean on.

Have a great Thursday

Fwanny

Last edited by fwanny; 10-28-2004 at 02:45 AM.
fwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 07:41 AM   #18  

Wink

I am up two pounds.

Apparently Terri wasn't hard enough on me!!!!

Thin: Also, apparently, it's okay to have that ticker thing in your signature?? I saw a warning, so good little "Susan" that I am I QUIT right there and am going to my expert for advice.

Hmmm maybe I should change my user name from Lucky to Susan???? OR how about SusanMarriedToMike?????
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 08:26 AM   #19  
Lisa

Wink

Good morning ladies - I hate it when it‘s so dark out in the morning - I can‘t even see the girls as their waiting for the bus - guess that means I should just sleep in longer, right?! Food yesterday was pretty good, water was good, but I still didn’t make the time to exercise. That seems to be the big thing. I’m going to make the time today since I am off work.

I’m so looking forward to meeting with Terri & Lucky (again) this weekend! Woo hoo! But I don’t want to go to IKEA again. Wasn’t my thing.

Lucky - don’t worry about the 2lbs - it’s up and down, we’ll do enough walking on Saturday to make up for it, right? I finished those two albums that I was looking for leaves for, remember?! The gal at our local scrapping shop took my paper home and used her leaf punch for me. That was so nice, so instead of spending $12 on a punch I probably won't use again, I spent $1.20.

Long story short, I made albums for my girls of me and my ex hubby - dating and wedding pictures. He doesn't see them (his choice) and hasn't for about 10 years, they are really struggling with it. So I decided to put an album together for each of them. Gave them to the girls last night. Was good. Em cried, figured she would, but I'm not sorry I did it. Maybe one of them will let me bring it with Saturday. No one has seen them, except me and the girls. I wanted them to make the choice of sharing them, or not. So, we'll see.

BarbG - Hugs - don’t know what to tell you except that I’m sure we’ve all been there. Just keep up the good work and it’s bound to pay off sometime.

Kat - his project sounds way cool - his teacher better give you guys a good mark, OR ELSE, right?! Comfort foods - we all “think” we need them. We’re so programmed to that. Awesome job on staying OP even when you were feeling down - way to go!

2Cute - I loved your “little” gal jumping on the tramp! W2G on the buffet! Woo hoo - awesome job!

Andria - Shakespeare festival sounds really fun! My daughters would love that, too. DH and I are going to a dinner theatre next week to see a musical (can’t remember the name - isn’t that stupid) it’s Oil City something. Anyway, we have front row seats, should be fun. Then in January we’re going to a really big, important show . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SESAME STREET LIVE - ELMO’S COLORING BOOK. With my son, of course.

fwanny - WELCOME to our little spot of the world - I’m glad that you decided to post. Post often so that we can get to know you, as you’ve gotten to know us a little bit while lurking. And, yup, we’re all here for each other!

Thin - It was too cloudy here to see the eclipse - oh well.

Terri - Drive careful on your way up. Ya know you can stop in the SPAM capitol and get some to eat. They actually have brochures out for Albert Lea as the SPAM capitol in travel places. Whatever . . .

Joyce - glad that your move went okay. Hope that all continues to go well.

CD - the “makeshift” smoothie actually sounds yummy. I’ll have to try that. My son has gotten super picky lately and won’t eat hardly any fruits or veggies. Maybe if I blend up the fruit like a treat he’ll eat it. I’ve even tried giving him dried fruit and pretending it’s “cannies” (candy) and he still won’t eat it. Little stinker.

Well, I think that "catches" me up for the day. I'll try to be back later. Oh, yeah, it's Thankful Thursday, hmmmmm well, as much as I'd like to look like the gals on Desperate Housewives, I'm so very THANKFUL that I don't have their lives!!!!!!! And I'm thankful for my DH & kids even when they drive me nuts!!!!
ljs1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:42 AM   #20  
Determined

First on the yummy topic:

Smoothies - I don't have much of a permanent recipe.. What I usually do is cut up some bananas and freeze them (so it doesn't make the smoothie all gooshy), I've used kiwis recently, pineapple juice just for the "liquid" to get it going, Canned peach halves (in light syrup!!), and whatever else I feel like throwing in. I haven't been able to find frozen strawberries or similar lately (cheapo stores) or else they'd be in there too. Sometimes I even get canned fruit cocktail and just toss the whole thing in there. I've heard that smoothies are "bad" because of the fruits sugar or something, but meh! its getting the fruit in!

I think a lot of us have just been too down lately! Even I have fallen in and out of depression lately, we need a good picker upper. I, myself - am looking forward to the card exchange. Maybe its because I'm an artist - but I just love seeing all the different kinds of beautiful Christmas cards and similar. They really make some awesome ones during the holidays.

Good News:
Last night I worked out 'while' angry/sad (fighting with the boyfriend ) and I worked out twice as hard! and hardly got winded at all! Theres this part of the work out near the end where you're flapping around like a crazy bird (backward leg lifts, arm raises or something) and I always get sooo tired and can hardly make it - last night I was baffled when it was over! I guess having my mind distracted made it really easy to let my body do its thing.

Bad News:
It is really hard to get yourself to workout when you're in a funk - whether by depression, bodily illness, or whatever. I just try to convince myself that working out will help me release my anger and I'll feel great. Doesn't work too often - but when it does - WOOEY!

Pardon me, I'm a bit energetic (and lonely). I'm at work and I had a great talk with my boss - talking about my dream career, always gets me a bit psyched. Plus the weather is cooling down (I loveee loveee wearing sweaters and jackets, and not sweating ), I have a little party to decorate for this Saturday (and a math test, boo).

I hope everyone has an AWESOME day! I really had a horrible night last night - and nothing is fixed so if I can manage to find the ability to cheer up and smile and enjoy the day, we all can.

I'm so thankful for resilience, the most important ingrediant in all of life - especially losing weight. Never give up, never forget - just keep moving, never look back with regrets just look forward with determination.
cdtobehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:58 AM   #21  
a work in progress...

Oh, what a beautiful morning! Back outside for me today...those damn leaves never stop falling til at least December! But I'm gonna show them...(the leaves) I'm having one of the trees in the back yard taken out on Monday, and the other HUGE oak trimmed way back. I know my neighbor will be happy...half the maple hangs over his fence. Less leaves to rake for everyone!

Andria...Oh, I'm jealous! I'd love to see Macbeth performed on stage! It's funny that you mention roasted cinnamon almonds...I saw a recipe for them yesterday and thought...."hmmm...I'm gonna try that!" With Splenda, of course! I'll report results. BTW...great article!

Lucky...those two pounds are nothing but pure, rippling muscle from all that exercise! Nothing more.

Lisa...What a wonderful, unselfish thing to do for your daughters! They are truly lucky to have such a caring mommy.

BarbG...Look at it this way...You're not GAINING!!! Be brutally honest with yourself...Are you taking in less than you are burning off each day? Good quality protein? Lots of veggies and fruit? Whole grains? If you are, then maybe you should have your thyroid checked...The reality check is that we will ALWAYS have to work hard EVERY DAY at NOT GAINING, even when we get to goal! Look at that kitty in your signature and...HANG IN THERE!

cd...What the heck is in a makeshift smoothie? There's not SPAM in it, is there? **We were posting at the same time obviously...your smoothie ideas sound good! I do the frozen banana thing too...so you don't have to add ice. Make sure you get some protein in there...

2cute...I do find it very helpful to state my intentions here, like you did. That way, I have all of you to be accountable to...and i look forward to coming here and reporting my successes.

fwanny...WELCOME! Join in anytime! And remember...the longest journey begins with but a single step. BTW...I like your name! We used to call my nephew Fwiddle Fwanny...(little Ronnie)

Thin...Thanks, as always, for coordinating our Christmas card exchange! Our fearless moderator strikes again!

Joyce...Welcome back!!

I think I got everyone on this thread...I have to get moving now. Going to get some exercise today...along with another day of PERFECT EATING!

I'll leave you with this thought...

Doubt sees the obstacles
Faith sees the way.
Doubt sees the darkest night
Faith sees the day.
Doubt dreads to take a step
Faith soars on high.
Doubt questions 'who believes?'
Faith answers, 'I.'

Author Unknown

Keep the faith, girls! Believe in yourself! We all have it within us to succeed!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 10-28-2004 at 10:05 AM.
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:38 AM   #22  

Kat, thank you for posting the bit on faith.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:50 AM   #23  
Dancing those pounds away

Good morning gals. I can't do replys this morning but had to stop long enough to
WELCOME FWANNY !!!!!!

I am so happy you took that step to finally post.
I lurked for a long time before I finally posted anywhere.
My life has not been the same since. LOL

Okay ladies... Thankful Thursday....
I am thankful for my many mini victories.
I drank more water
I did not pig out at the pig out buffet.
I stayed on program all day yesterday and will to day too.
I LOST all the weight I gained on vacation !!!
Now I need to really crack down to lose those 2 lbs for the challange.
I am happy to be alive.
I am thankful for those many mini victories.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:04 PM   #24  

Hey everyone

Welcome Fwanny! So glad you are going to join us.

Today I am thankful for all the diet resources we have at our fingertips. Knowledge is such a key for me! Not sure if this has been posted here before, but it was worth the read for me today.

Boosting Metabolism: 10 Tips that Work
By Susan Woodward

Metabolism. Simply put, it’s the process by which the body makes and uses energy (calories) for everything from the cellular absorption of nutrients to running a marathon.

Sounds like pretty boring science on paper. Except that knowing how to efficiently metabolize calories translates into every woman’s dream – a sexy, healthy body.

Whether you’re trying to lose extra pounds or preparing for the inevitable metabolic slowing that comes with age, here are some surefire ways to boost your metabolism to keep your energy pulsating and your body shape trim.

1. Build lean body mass. As mentioned above, metabolism slows as we age – by as much as two percent a year! But there is something you can do to counterbalance nature. “Muscle is the single most important predictor or how well you metabolize your food, how well you burn calories and burn body fat,” insists Shari Lieberman, author of Dare to Lose. Strength training with dumbbells or resistance bands at least twice a week is essential to boosting your metabolism. Repeat – essential. And here’s the really good news: Your metabolism stays pumped for many hours after you finish your workout.

2. Get moving. You know the drill, but here’s a reminder. At least 30 to 60 minutes of walking, jogging, cycling, swimming or some other form of aerobic exercise a minimum of three times a week is the other half of the exercise equation. “People don’t like to hear it but you have got to exercise,” says Lieberman.

3. Eat. It may sound crazy to women who try to lose weight by severely restricting their daily caloric intake, but the problem with this old school of thought, explains Michigan dietician Julie Beyer, is that it actually slows metabolism. “Every cell of the body is like a flashlight bulb,” she explains. “When our bodies don’t get enough food, or fuel, every cell burns less brightly.” Recent studies show that eating smaller meals every three to four hours aids metabolism and weight loss.

4. Ditch the sugar. Of course, you still have to make good choices about what you eat. “When you eat sugar you throw your metabolic switch into fat storage mode,” says Lieberman, who suggests a predominately low glycemic index diet, meaning foods that, unlike sugars, are broken down gradually to help maintain an even blood-sugar level.

5. Don’t skip breakfast. It’s a fact that people who eat a healthy breakfast are skinnier than people who don’t. And try to think outside the box. A breakfast bowl of vegetables and brown rice is a great way to kick-start your metabolism for the day.

6. Include hot foods. If Mexican and Thai are favorites, you’re in luck. “Spicy food that has hot peppers in it appears to boost metabolism,” Lieberman says.

7. Drink green tea. “There are unhealthy things that can boost your metabolism, like a really strong cup of coffee, or nicotine, but I would never say go have a cigarette!” says Michelle Streif, a personal trainer in Nebraska. Nor overdo it on caffeine, which also has undesirable side effects. Instead, go for green tea, says Lieberman, which is known to stimulate metabolism longer and more effectively than coffee.

8. Don’t forget H2O. Staying well hydrated is essential to flushing the body of toxic byproducts that are released when fat is burned. Cold water may also give your metabolism at least a small boost because energy is required to heat the body.

9. Avoid stress. At all costs. “Stress can actually cause weight gain, particularly around the tummy,” says Lieberman. Why? Because physical and emotional stress activates the release of cortisol, a steroid that slows metabolism.

10. Sleep. Research shows that people who don’t sleep for seven to eight hours a night are more prone to weight gain. Additionally, we now know that lean muscle is regenerated in the final couple of hours of sleep each night, says Beyer. Which takes you right back to tip number one!

Okay, I'm outta here again. Going to try and keep warm. The temperature has dropped dramatically here and we have had so much rain there is flash flooding all over the place. In fact, I got to see my first snow of the season last night as we were driving home from the play. I miss snow! Right now I am also missing being warm.

Andria

P.S. I almost forgot! I'm taking my oldest daughter down to Curves with me today. They have a sign-up special this month for only $20. Because she is my daughter, her monthly fee after that is only $10. I think this might make for some great bonding time between the two of us. We've been at each other's throats lately. I think we BOTH need to get out of the house.

Last edited by qsilver; 10-28-2004 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #25  
a work in progress...

Quote:
Research shows that people who don’t sleep for seven to eight hours a night are more prone to weight gain.
AH HA!

I knew it wasn't the cookies!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 03:15 PM   #26  
Christine

S/C/G: 340/328/150

Height: 5'4"

Post Curse, Schmurse!!!!

Hiya ladies!!!

Well, I am still so overwhelmed with happiness and excitement that I doubt I can put into words my feelings about my boys. Suffice it to say I was up until almost 1 am watching the post game stuff, then was too tired to post. Believe me, I will remember for the rest of my life where I was, who I was with, probably what I was wearing and that there was a lunar eclipse on the night my boys won the World Series.

I have been totally OP and have met my exercise schedule so far this week. Way to go to all you ladies for continuing to meet yours as well!!!

Well, I'm at work so I have to run. I may post later if time.

TTFN
eddies_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:41 PM   #27  
Michigan Old-Timer

People often say that motivation doesn't last.

Well, neither does bathing,

that's why we recommend it daily.

~Zig Ziglar~
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:05 PM   #28  

Hi gang--

Been gone a long while. Things have been stressful and crazy, and I've been not paying much attention to food or exercise (though, thankfully, not gaining), but I can't seem to motivate myself to post when I'm not doing what I know I need to.

I hate realizing that months have gone by with no progress--even if I go slow and steady, this is a multi-year project, so I hate to lose time. I'm hereby recommitting myself... more on the plan in a bit.

No way I'll ever catch up with posts, so I've just been trying to catch up on the recent ones.

Andria--Thanks SO MUCH for the article on metabolism. Lots of those are things I never, ever think about.

2cute--You're an inspiration.

Kat--I know what you're talking about, girl. I'm totally photo-phobic, and catching a glimpse of myself by accident always ruins my day. Though I don't want to get complacent and happy with my unhealthy body, I wish I could look at myself without getting depressed. Anyone done anything to try to re-condition themselves to a healthier acceptance of what they look like?
Angela_aka_Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:26 PM   #29  

Me again. Inspired by 2cute's pre-buffet commitment manifesto, I thought I'd make a public commitment, too.

Losing weight is an investment in my future happiness, one of the few elements of my future that I have any control over. I'm going to stop pretending it's not in my control. Every day I'm off-program is a decision I made, just as every day I'm on-program is a (much better) decision I made.

I want to make this achievable, so I'll make it concrete. Tomorrow I will: eat at least three times, including breakfast; limit my calories to 1900; get at least 20 minutes of aerobic exercise; check in here and keep in touch with all of you, including to report that I accomplished what I just committed myself to.

If I ever make it solidly under 300, I'm treating myself to a piece of hand-made jewelry from my friends' shop. Those 2-pound challenges a few months ago got me ALMOST there. I don't want to let this progress go!!!!

It's misty and cold here in southern Illinois. Hope some of you have pleasanter fall weather.
Angela_aka_Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 01:13 AM   #30  
Dancing those pounds away

I promise .... I do not wait until there are 29 posts before coming here. LOL
It just seems lately I am always here when we need to start a new thread.

SOoooooo .... I will again start the new thread.
STOP !!!! Do not post here.
Come join us in the next great thread..... # 587.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote