Old 10-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 470/ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

Unhappy So much to lose, a bit overwhelmed

I have about 150 lbs to lose just to get down to 200. It just seems like so much. I've been at it for almost 2 weeks. I use slimfast most days (the 3 2 1 plan) but I'm just hungry a lot. I can't exercise much yet (really bad knees/arthritis). I'm scared I am not going to be able to keep it up. It could end up taking a couple years. I just want to be healthy and more active.
lilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #2  

If it ends up taking "a couple of years"... so what? You can do it- it isn't a race. It's not a competition. Take every day as it comes- 2 weeks is so , so good!! Well done!!
snowpatrolchlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #3  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I don't have as much to lose, but I wanted to comment because you said you're hungry a lot (I'm someone who can't keep on being hungry all the time to lose weight - eventually I crack and overeat). The slimfast drinks will not help to fill you up - they're mostly simple carbs and sugar, which doesn't help combat hunger (and can make it worse sometimes).

I'd recommend trying to eat more filling foods that are lower in calories, such as lean proteins, fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. Maybe try to incorporate more of them into your daily meals. Those foods help with hunger a lot more than Slimfast will.

And a couple years isn't so long, if you think about it. How long did it take to put the weight on? Probably longer. A couple years could be a good deal depending on how you look at it.

And I second the "take it one step at a time" thing. Don't think about lose 150 lbs. Maybe think about losing 10 lbs 15 times. That way you just look at one increment at a time. When you lose 10, OK, now start losing 10 again just like the first time.

Good luck with everything! There are a lot of inspirational stories here that you can find. Maybe those will help, too.

Last edited by LiannaKole; 10-24-2013 at 06:54 PM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #4  
awesomeness.

S/C/G: 350-ish/ticker/199

Height: 5'5"

I've been in your shoes, lilturtle! I topped the scales at my heaviest at 350 in May 2010. I officially started my lifestyle change in September 2011. Have I had ups and downs? Yes, I lost 60 pounds by Jan 2012 and gained most of it back. At this beginning of this year I was sitting at 300. But I knew I had to keep pushing through, and give it a harder go.

Diets fail, but lifestyle changes do not. You have to commit to changing EVERYTHING, and it'll change. You can move mountains and the best part? You got us here @3fatchicks. We've experienced it all.

As someone said before me, little steps and break it down. I broke my down into mini-goals. Lose 10%, get to 299, get to 250, get to 199! It's working for me, and I'm so close to my next goal it's SILLY.

I wish you luck and if you need someone to support you, you can PM me at any point.
wishfuiiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #5  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

First, I want to offer a hug.

Our starting numbers aren't identical, but I can absolutely appreciate feeling overwhelmed. I felt it too, hon.

Something I found helpful which I'll share (in case it might be helpful for you), is celebrating the wonderful experiences that take place along the journey. There will be many of them. I know 150 lbs feels like a lot.. truly, I do know... but you will get to notice changes much sooner than that. 300 will feel different from 350, and even 280 will feel different from 300, etc. 200 might not be your ultimate goal, even after a 150lb loss, but it will feel amazing nonetheless... So that 150 lbs will be worth it, even before you reach your desired weight.

I know how impossible this feels, but I also believe you can do it! Know that we are here for you and that we will be here cheering you on! All you need do is say the words. Hang in there and keep us posted! You've got this, ok?
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Time is on your side. Exercise can wait. I lost 60lbs with diet alone before I even considered it. Now I bust my ar$e. Small steps. Take them and combined they turn into big ones. You will kill that 150. It only gets hard as you get near "normal" weight. Until then just keep going and you will see results.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/225/150

Height: 5'4

You must change how you are eating so you are not hungry all the time or you will not be able to stick to it. I agree with LiannaKole, slimfast is not thing to use. I am 9 weeks into my life style change and have lost 30 lbs eating low carb and I rarely feel hungry. It sure makes it easier to keep going if I am not feeling hungry and deprived. Find what will work for you and make it your way of life and soon you will see results.
Catgoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #8  

Hi there. As Im reading your post I can relate to you about being hungy you must learn that eating healthy meals that will fill you up is the way to go. Try making smoothies/juices with fresh fruits and vegetables. Eat plenty of vegetables. One of my favorite salads is a light version on a taco salad. I add smashed beans (homemade would be the best you can control the sodium) shreeded lettuce, grilled chicken pico de gallo, homemade chunky salsa light sour cream and a sprinkle of cheese. It is delish.

About the weight you need to loose dont look at all the weight you need yo loose perhaps give your self a monthly goal. Try and reach to those first 10 pounds and so on. Good luck!
Campana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 224/205/140

Height: 5'8"

You're not alone!!! I am an EATER! Slim-any kind of drink doesn't do it for me and leaves me feeling deprived. Who can succeed like that? I'm no pro, but some things that help me is to keep crunchy healthy foods around, like raw veggies, granola, nuts etc. It curbs my ferocious appetite because it takes time to chew. Also, if you can't get rid of all the junk/snacks/whatever because you have other family members who might bite your head off, try moving them out of sight, or locked in a cabinet (and give the key to someone else).

As far as exercise goes, try stationary things like leg lifts, light dumbbells, or bands while listening to a couple of your favorite jams. ANYtime you're moving is better than NOT moving at all! Don't give up, and don't think of it as a chore. Think of it as your new way of living
OneChillMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 470/ticker/175

Thank you so much everyone. It really helps to know I'm not alone. My boyfriend is dieting with me but guys are just different and he doesn't have as much to lose. You guys are right about the slimfast. That was me trying to take the easy way out. I'm lucky, I'm just buying food for myself so time to make better choices. I do have some trouble with portion control which I have to look at. Maybe lower carbs and more protien? I'm going to poke around the site more to get some ideas.

Last edited by lilturtle; 10-25-2013 at 07:52 PM.
lilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #11  

You have some excellent advice here. Just wanted to post and wish you good luck. I never thought I could lose 10lbs nevermind 150+lbs in less than a year.

Make mini-goals, celebrate the milestones, come here for support.

And remember...losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise. Do what you can now for exercise (even if it's only a little) and concentrate more on your eating. Exercise will be more important for maintenance than losing weight.

Good luck.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #12  

Default How?

Hey,

I am new to this site but I cuoldn't resist. I am so impressed.

Elvislover324, how did you loose so much weigh in less then a year? I am just starting phase 2 of the SB and its going very slowly for me.
Slivki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/220

You're 20 lbs heavier then what I was when I started in July and as of this morning I hit my first mini goal of being under 300lbs! I don't exercise at all right now (I'm inherently lazy and hate to be sweaty) so all the weight loss so far has been counting calories. I use the my fitness pal app and it's been great. I don't follow any other diet (low carb for example) besides watching my calories. If I want to eat doughnuts or pizza or chickfilet (YUM) I do. Some days I go over, but most days I come in under my goal. I tried the slim fast shakes (allergic to them, my tongue swelled up) and the other protein/meal replacement shakes before and they never worked for me. I like to EAT!

As for portion control I'm bad at it as well. Measuring/weighing makes your life so much easier and becomes a routine after awhile. It's not that I always eat the "correct" serving size (I've never eaten only 4oz of meat, ever! Give me 8-10oz please) but I make sure I know how much I'm eating and log it. I'm much better at controlling my servings of chips and things like that as I'm no longer viewing them as something that should fill me up. I count out cry serving and put the bag away.

It gets easier, especially when you start seeing the scale move!

Last edited by JeniH; 10-26-2013 at 01:59 AM.
JeniH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slivki View Post
Hey,

I am new to this site but I cuoldn't resist. I am so impressed.

Elvislover324, how did you loose so much weigh in less then a year? I am just starting phase 2 of the SB and its going very slowly for me.
Hi Slivki, Thank you so much. I lost most of it on a medically supervised diet (eating 700-1100 a day plus exercise). It has to be medically supervised as they check bloodwork, etc. to make sure everything looks ok.

I was in a desperate place in my life with infertility and a cancer diagnosis, my overweightness was literally killing me.

I feel like a million bucks now and people don't even recognize me. To be honest, I don't recognize myself.

If I can do this, anyone can. The $25 a week I pay to see my nutritionist (I still go, over a year later) is worth it's weight in gold. I have accountability and support and it keeps me exercising and making mostly good choices. It's nothing short of a miracle.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 327/301/250

Height: 5'3"

Take your time Lilturtle...

I started at 327... and worried about being able to exercise and all that, i'm down 35 lbs now and 8 months later, and that change in my lifestyle is amazing...

What i have learned in this though, is that "slow and steady wins the race"... If you drop it too fast it will all come back. I had to embrace the idea of a lifestyle change versus a diet, because i want to keep it off and stay healthy...

Find joy in your small victories, and be your best cheerleader...

I use weightwatchers and drink a TON of water... Just hang in there
NikonGirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote