Old 10-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #16  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

lilturtle— Congratulations for getting started, and for being here to talk about it! The first step is very hard, because it means coming out of denial about how heavy you are. You shouldn't beat yourself up for using Slimfast—which, as others have explained, doesn't work for creating longterm lifestyle change. You're probably going to flail around through multiple approaches before you figure out which one is best for you. Everyone is unique, everyone finds their own path through this process.

I started at 351 pounds, and it took me several months to figure out that the Atkins "induction" diet works best for me. I can't stand being hungry, and I don't have the time or the mental energy to fuss with weighing food or counting calories. On Atkins you can basically eat all you want, so long as it's protein and fat. (And fat is a natural appetite suppressant.) "All you want" means not only that whenever you get hungry, you eat, but also that you don't have to count anything. If you stick with the Atkins program after you've lost the bulk of your weight, you have to start counting carbohydrate grams, but I haven't gotten there, so I don't know what that's like.

But I'm not saying that Atkins is for you. I'm just explaining why I ended up choosing it. Unfortunately, there's no magic test you can take to help you figure out which diet to follow: you'll have to read about the alternatives and do a lot of experimenting. But that's cool, because it's all a learning experience.

As for exercise, I agree that (1) you don't have to worry about it right now, and (2) some non-weight-bearing exercise, especially for those big muscles in your hips & thighs, would help you feel better very quickly. I've lost 51 pounds so far, and the only exercise I'm doing is leg lifts. But boy have they had a huge effect on how I feel, like when I'm climbing stairs! I do them lying on a couch, half on my side, half on my back. I do them every single day, but I alternate legs between one day and the next, so that each leg gets "a day off" to recuperate before it has to work again.

Last but not least, please heed the advice you've gotten about setting up mini-goals. They help a lot to alleviate that feeling of being overwhelmed.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 470/ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

Thanks again everyone for even more responses. I'm going to try Atkins/low carb. And I'm breaking it down to 10 lbs at a time. Great suggestions and I am thankful for them.
lilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #18  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

You can do it! I bet you'll feel a little better with every 10 pounds you lose--I know I sure have. I'm down almost 50 since last Christmas, but by March people were noticing and I felt more mobile. AND I was just maintaining from July until quite recently, but I don't care: 270 feels so much better than 320 did. If I never lose another pound, I'd still be glad I lost these 50.

Also, I'd recommend you work hard at figuring out what's making you hungry. For me, taking probiotics and B12 have really curbed my cravings. Also, I eat a pretty high-volume diet. I have a salad just about every day at dinner time, I eat soup frequently, and fruit. This helps me.

These things may or may not help you, because I think we all have our unique body chemistry to take into account, but I do want you to not give up until you've figured out what it is (hormones, depression, vitamins, whatever). It's MUCH easier to lose weight when being on plan means only getting hungry when it's actually time to eat.

Good luck!
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #19  

I have decided on doing Atkins. It seems the most doable for me. I gained a lot of weight from being on certain medications. I've got that part fixed so now it is time to get the weight off. I did lose 16 lbs from the beginning of August to end of September just by changing my meds. I go back to the doc next Tuesday and will see where I am at now.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #20  

I'm getting weighed tomorrow at the doctors. I haven't been weighed offically since I started dieting so I am a bit nervous. I stopped looking at the scale last year. Hopefully there is some good news. I started Atkins yesterday.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #21  
rockin' my 60s!

We're rootin' for you, lilturtle! Check back in here after you get home from the doctor's office and tell us how it went...
Old 11-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #22  

I went to the doctor's today. Bad news I started out weighing more then I thought. I hadn't looked at the scale in a year. Good news is I am down 21 more lbs since the end of September. That makes a total of 37 lbs since August. Is that good? I really didn't start trying until early October.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #23  
rockin' my 60s!

37 since August? That's over 12 pounds a month! That's terrific, lilturtle! But you have to assume some of that is water weight. Almost everyone has a dramatic loss in the beginning because of water weight. But still...congratulations!

Are you ready now to put your starting weight, current weight, and goal weight in your user profile? What I call "going public" is a very important part of a successful weight program. When you tell other people what your plan is, you're making yourself accountable and telling yourself in no uncertain way that you've embarked on the journey. Good luck! Keep posting every day!

Last edited by Fiona W; 11-05-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #24  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona W View Post
37 since August? That's over 12 pounds a month! That's terrific, lilturtle! But you have to assume some of that is water weight. Almost everyone has a dramatic loss in the beginning because of water weight. But still...congratulations!

Are you ready now to put your starting weight, current weight, and goal weight in your user profile? What I call "going public" is a very important part of a successful weight program. When you tell other people what your plan is, you're making yourself accountable and telling yourself in no uncertain way that you've embarked on the journey. Good luck! Keep posting every day!
Personally I wouldnt tell the world im trying to lose weigh but that is because my family are highly critical and subconsciously start pushing food if they know you are trying to lose weight because they get jealous of success. Other than that I agree with this. We are all here to get fit and healthy and if you cant be honest here where can you be honest?? You can rock it girl, you have it in you, we all believe it.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #25  

It makes me so nervous to do that. I am bigger then everyone I have seen on here. I'm always the biggest person around.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #26  

It's just a number, lilturtle. The only thing that matters is you are making healthy changes now. I didn't tell anyone except my husband I was dieting. There was no one judging what I was (or wasn't) eating and I didn't want to talk about it out loud. Slowly but surely the pounds came off. It took almost 60 before anyone really noticed that I started to lose weight but from there, everyone started to notice and it empowered me to keep going. You can do this, you are already doing awesome!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #27  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

I understand lilturtle, on here at least there is no shame. Ive seen some here with 400, 500 and even 600 lb starting weights. Its about the honesty. Do what you like and fel comfortable with, just know NO ONE will judge here, we are all in this together!
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

You can do this. Think of it in small increments like 10 lbs. 10lbs doesn't seem so overwhelming does it?
I have tried a lot of diets and slim fast several times. They don't work. Maybe if you need to lose 10 or 15 lbs but not the weight we need to drop. You have to find the right plan for your lifestyle but look into eating clean. I totally believe in the no process foods lifestyle, whole grains( I do eat carbs and usually over 100 per day) lean meats lots of fruits and veggies. In five months I have lost over 60 lbs. I have exercised since day one. I think even if you can only do it for 10 min a couple times a week you should. You need to journal your food, count calories, weigh your food and you will have success. I am rarely hungry.
Another thing to remember if you are hungry try drinking a glass of water and wait ten minutes. Eating clean there are tons of food blogs on this subject and the food is delish. Yes you have to make time to prepare or pre pare ahead but it can be done. I work over 40 plus hours a week, have horses and animals that need my attention and have kids to cook for so If I can do this so can you.
cleancowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 424/424/200

Height: 5'3

Hi Lilturtle, first off I wanted to say congratulations on the weight loss!!!! 12 lbs in a month is awesome!!!!I just wanted to let you know that i understand where you are coming from. As you can tell from my weight, i too am a bigger girl and like you, i always have been. Last night i was laying in bed thinking that I was sick of being at my current weight and i decided it was time to do something about it. So I am on day one of my new journey. I just became a member of this website today because i was looking for some place that i can talk about my feelings with people who would understand.
Cutebutpsycho30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #30  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Hi lilturtle,

We started at exactly the same weight. It really is one day at a time. My experience is that making this the first priority in my life was the beginning of making it happen. Best wishes on your journey,

Dee
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote