Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #31  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm doing well in general, but I'm kind of frustrated about my muesli situation. (For those of you who recently arrived, I was on strict Atkins induction for a while in the fall, and then went into a brief but very severe depression. Then I suddenly recovered, and I attributed my recovery to the fact that I ate a bowl of muesli. Some people who go on strict Atkins do get depressed. But alternatively, it could've been the change in my meds. Sort of superstitiously, ever since then, I've modified the Atkins diet to include a bowl of muesli every day around noon.) Yesterday I had a weird experience shortly after eating my muesli that I'm pretty sure was a panic attack. Some people who get depression also have panic attacks, but they're super rare for me, and when they do happen, usually there's some kind of trigger event that sets off the escalating anxiety. Yesterday there was no trigger at all: the panic state just blew in like a sudden storm. Well anyway, as a result, I got sick to my stomach, and eventually my whole gut acted up.

After I described it all to my husband Bob, he said maybe there was something off about the muesli, or about the cream I put on it, and that's why I got sick. I didn't think that made much sense because I had all the other symptoms of a severe anxiety attack. So today I sat down at noon again and had my bowl of muesli. I didn't have a panic attack, but my gut acted up again!

So Bob volunteered to be a guinea pig, and he ate a bowl of my muesli with cream. That was hours ago, and he hasn't gotten sick. So now we don't know what the heck is going on. I'm tempted to just bag the muesli and go back to eating only eggs, meat, cheese, occasional nuts, & salad greens. Maybe I'm not one of those people who get depressed on Atkins, after all. I sure would like to be on strict Atkins, because I like the food and I lose weight really well on it. I think I'll take the risk and see what happens...

Ubee— I'm glad to hear your Grain Brain diet is going so well. I'm tempted to read that book, but not until I read the other ones I've downloaded recently. I must say, I'm pleased to hear you're going to list your weight. The reason I came to 3 Fat Chicks in the first place is that I was reading about people who are successful in accomplishing big longterm projects, and one of the recommendations was to "go public" about your plans. You don't have to hold a press conference =laugh= but it's supposed to be very helpful to tell a group of folks who support you exactly what your plans are. In this setting, that means listing your weight and your goal weight. Besides, it would be nice to know how much weight you've lost so far, so I can congratulate you on the accomplishment! =smile=

Larry— I had an 18-pound whoosh myself when I started this project nearly two years ago, but alas, it does come to an end, doesn't it? It sounds like calorie counting is working well for you, especially because it gives you a sense of not being deprived of anything. That's so important for these longterm diets, not to feel deprived.

pjvw34— Welcome back! Turning 50 is an excellent motivation. I turn 60 next year, and that's motivating me a lot. Have I got it right that your name is Pam? Can I call you Pam?

Betsy— Thanks for your kind words about the blog posting I wrote, and I'm thrilled to hear it's motivating you to go binge-free. I am so relieved to have that nasty monkey off my back, I just can't tell you...Remember when you do get the urge, the trick is to separate yourself from it, but not fight it. If you fight it, the urge just gets stronger. Instead, you take the role of being an observer, that's all. Let it yap at you all it wants to. If you just observe it, it will fade, sooner or later.

Donna— That's terrific you walked a mile and a half! Way to go! It sounds like you're starting off the new year with lots of movement: that will help keep your mood up, which for me is the single most important benefit of exercise.

silentarctic— Enjoy your brief "spring"! What's the story with your weight these days? I could be wrong, but I don't think you've updated it in a while. Just curious, because I'm rooting for you! =smile=
Old 01-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Oh no I totally thought I posted here

Ubee - Glad you are able to let go of that memory.

Fi - I hope you sort out what will make you feel the best! My weight loss is Meh I am working on a neutral weekend. Trying to not gain weight this weekend is good enough for me today I'm hovering around 323 might be some water weight still from a salty incident I'm not letting it stress me out. It is still within my "range" and that "range" is lower than it use to be.

We can totally do this!

I've resolved to be more "me". That sounds so silly but I'm just tired of holding back, tired of being reserved, so I'm an expressive affectionate person, or at least i was.... I want to find her again.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:38 AM   #33  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Silent, I was so pleased to see your resolve to be "more me"...I put that in my phone as MY strength for this year too. At the risk of boring everybody who has read about my trip to Iceland on 2009, that was when I felt at the most "me".
I did a charity trek for Cancer Research Wales ( came back with a broken knee cap but that's another story!)
The group I was with was divided in to 2 main sections, young fit men and women,all competition and expensive kit. Then there was a group of middle aged ladies who had never camped, walked in the rain or peed in the open air! Except me! Fat and middle aged I certainly was but I have camped for years and walked mountains most of my life depsite my size. I found myself being the unelected leader if the middle aged team. I encouraged when we were wet, exhausted and had to pitch a tent in the rain. I got up early to make everybody coffee and generally acted as team morale officer. I felt wonderful and very very "me". I have proved that I can be "me" and do you know what???? People actually liked me! Woohoo!
It's raining here again. It has been very windy which makes going out to exercise difficult, I don't mind rain ( afterall I am Welsh and we have webbed feet!) in fact I kind of like walking in rain and the park is quiet!!
Have a good day chickens, not sure what my exercise is for today, probably minitrampoline or wii dance!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentarctic View Post
I've resolved to be more "me".
Hello All...

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes... I really appreciate it!!!

Silent - I love this statement as well about being 'MORE ME.' I am going to make that a goal of mine this year.

Fi - Yes, my name is Pam and you can call me that. I try not to make a big deal about age because I see no sense in getting worked up about it but I would like to be 50 pounds lighter by the time it gets here.

Larry - The support here is the best. It is so nice to know there are others who are going through what you are or have been through it. I have discovered that there some who only have a small amount of weight to lose that just don't understand the joy of having more room between you and the steering wheel of your car. I am like you in the type of plan I am on. I am allowed 1700 calories. I know I can eat anything I want but I have to count those calories. When I get to my limit I stop. That makes me make better choices such as salads over something fried because I dont want to waste my calories. It's like having a budget and being very frugal.

Ubee - I so understand what you are going through. I live in a small town (pop. 315) and have all my life (the majority of it). So I can see myself in your shoes. Around here we struggle with gossips but I have become rather thick skinned over the years so I don't pay much attention to what is said about me. Although I think if they are talking about me they really must be bored in their own life. LOL. I am glad also that you can let that go. If that had happened to me I would have been teased mercilessly as I was just for being big. Maybe that is why I developed a thick skin. LOL.

Betsy - Good for you on the binging. I know that with your resolve you will make it through this. I am cheering for you.

Mountain - You are an inspiration to me. You are a very strong person. I am going to be ME more as well. I was very intrigued by your Iceland story. I guess I missed the other post since I am just back on board. I will have to see if i can find it.

I hope everyone has an AWESOME on plan Sunday!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning!
Fi, I have a thought. Remember I am all Grain Brain crazy right now. It sounds like you have been on a gluten/soy free diet without trying. Maybe you are sensitive to them. If your muesli, nuts, dried fruit, or whatever you add was packaged at a facility that also packages wheat or soy products, the package you have might have gotten contaminated and caused a reaction. Just a thought. I did not think I had a problem until I cleared them out of my diet.
Silent, I am thrilled that you are going to let the real you shine!! It is time for you to blossom!! I love being me except for when I screw up. Sometimes people get caught off guard when you are true to yourself. It is a great way to get respect. You are awesome!
Donna, I never read about your trip to Iceland and would love to hear more! That part you just wrote is so cool. What a good feeling!
As for me, I have so much more energy and am not hungry. Thank God for the energy or I would be concerned. I have always been food obsessed, so this is new territory. Now I just have to work on the exercise.
Hi Pam! We cross posted. How are your first days back on the wagon?
How is everyone doing!

Last edited by Ubee; 01-05-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubee View Post
Hi Pam! We cross posted. How are your first days back on the wagon?
Hey there Ubee - I am doing great! Staying within my calorie limits. I did not get to walk yesterday but I did do some cleaning. I put away all the Christmas decorations. They are neatly stored in my storage building and I even cleaned out a few boxes in the storage building and straightened up. I found some things I forgot I had. YEA!!! It is like going shopping and not spending money. LOL. I love that. So cleaning counts as burning calories, right?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #37  
rockin' my 60s!

Ubee— My muesli does indeed have some wheat in it. What difference do you notice now that you're on the Grain Brain diet? I mean, how can you tell that you were sensitive to wheat?

Last edited by Fiona W; 01-05-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning all. Running late this morning and wondering how everything is going to get done today......or maybe it won't! The joys of retirement!

Pam -- So glad to see you back, and I love your commitment to working on your plan to honor your 50th birthday. Having a goal really helps.

Ubee -- Good for you for facing that long held demon and posting your weight. You know we don't care, and you're right -- it's just a number. I look back on some of my school experiences, and sometimes I wonder how any of us survived it. Loved your comment about being a curiosity in town because you have so much to deal with and are still a happy family. A picture of Snoopy dancing just popped into my mind -- he always had such a happy look on his face.

Fi -- Sorry about the panic attack, because it sounded like you really enjoyed your small helping of muesli. I'm been anxious before (I'm in my 60s and no one gets to this point without some anxiety), but can't remember feeling the amount of stress that comes with a panic attack. Hope that Ubee's suggestion that maybe it was a physical reaction to it might be a pointer to find the cause.

SilentArctic -- you certainly struck a chord with all of us about being more "me" and good for you for realizing it at your age.

Donna -- Loved your description of the Iceland trip. Being me does have a lot to say for it.

Well, the binge meter is stuck at 0. Yep, still haven't been able to break that cycle. So, I'm going to try to use Fi's visualization techniques today and just THINK before I do something. Off to the co-op to get the new cash register re-programmed and to set things up for a contest we're having for the month. Then home to the start of Season 4 of Downton Abbey in the US.

Binge Free Days: 0
Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #39  

Fi, the diet is ■High in healthy fats, naturally raised animal proteins, vegetables.
■Low carbohydrate and low fruit, no processed carbs or sugars.
So it is a lot of complicated stuff but very much on the same page as Gary Taubes.
I have been on it for one week and I am so much less crabby. I was never diagnosed with depression but my mood is so light/clearer. I can think clearer also. I have more energy. I have anxiety. It went down when I started taking magnesium and now has gone down more. TMI ALERT I have IBS with diarrhea and have to take daily meds or I would be in Depends. In one week I have been able to cut my dose down to 1/3 of what I was on. I also am lactose intolerant but it is so much less now. I can eat a small piece of cheese and not need to take a lactaide pill.
School and therapy have both given outstanding reports on our autistic daughter. She is calmer, more focused, less OCD, greatly improved eye contact and more social. Overall she is much happier.
I urge anyone with an autistic child, ADHD, or depression to give this diet a try for one month.
Stepping down from my soap box now...

Last edited by Ubee; 01-05-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #40  
Master(de)bater

S/C/G: 308/259/215

Height: 6'4"

Hi all,

This seems like an active and welcoming group... Care to have *another* male voice?

I'm new to the site and have been calorie counting for (checking the date) 5 days now.

Looking forward to the journey.

If anyone came across my post in the introductions section from the main page, you'll know I've learned in the past year the power of support groups!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #41  

Hey all,

So today, 322 say what? Okay I deserve it, I ate a ton of pringles last night, salt city. Snacking instead of healthy eating, oopsy.

Today I'm eating "okay". I had turkey and veggies and potatoe for lunch. (I slept in past breakfast).

Betsy - You make it sound like I'm so young, I have friends far younger than me realizing the same thing. We just want to be happy in our own skin, we want to strive for being healthier but be 'Okay' with who we are. I think its a good goal for everyone. 2014 the year of being "me" for all of us

Pam - That is so cool, your story about your trip in 2009 . Thanks for sharing

Ubee - That is fab that the positive changes in your diet are having immediate health results. That must be so motivating to Stick with it!!

Mers - I'm sure Larry will be glad to have the company. I feel like I'm going to get jealous of you though with your background , guys who were formely athletic tend to drop weight quickly from my observations. But we're here to support not compete, with that in mind I'm sure you'll do great. If you can tolerate a lot of our emotional girly chat that is....
Old 01-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstopher View Post
Hi all,

This seems like an active and welcoming group... Care to have *another* male voice?

I'm new to the site and have been calorie counting for (checking the date) 5 days now.

Looking forward to the journey.

If anyone came across my post in the introductions section from the main page, you'll know I've learned in the past year the power of support groups!
merstopher This is a great group for support. You and I have a lot in common as I am also a friend of Bill W. It has been 37 great years as of this past July 12th.

I have tried many diets over the years but calorie counting seems to be best for me. I don't care what kind of plan a person is on Atkins, South Beach or any of the hundreds of other diets, I will support them and they in turn have been supporting me. Together we can succeed. I have learned over the years that I do not do well when left on my own.

Last edited by Larry H; 01-05-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #43  

Good Afternoon!
Betsy, is there something triggering the binge? The co-op? Too much temptation in the house? I'm sending you a hug and I hope you enjoy your shows. I had a dream last night that you were going on a cruise. Maybe a cruise to lose! (I love Richard Simmons!)
Welcome Chris! The journey is always the best part, especially with our group!
Silent, being me is a great goal! I hate water weight and fluctuations. Why can we not all have Larry's magic scale?
Larry so true, if we did well on our own why are we in a 300+ chat?

Last edited by Ubee; 01-05-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #44  
rockin' my 60s!

Well if I didn't have enough reasons to be serious about getting the weight off, now I have a really big reason: I had an episode of angina last night. Oh jeez... It's not the first time I've had chest pain resembling angina: the first was in July 2012, when it was scary enough I was hospitalized and had all kinds of blood tests and tests on my heart (echo, stress test, etc.). I got a clean bill of health that time—no cardiac damage, heart working just fine.

What happened last night was I did my leg exercises a lot faster than usual because Bob and I had a "date" to meet upstairs, and I got up to go climb the stairs while my heart rate was still elevated, and I was carrying a heavy bag full of stuff. By the time I got to the top of the stairs my chest was hurting—that intense crushing pain that is pretty unmistakeable for angina. (It isn't at all like my depression pain.) I had to lie down in bed and just try to relax and take deep breaths and ride it out. The pain radiated to my left arm and also up my neck and into my jaws on both sides. It was no picnic, and the darn thing lasted for well over an hour. Bob thinks it was even two hours before it subsided completely. The duration bothers me because the previous episode I had only lasted 15 minutes.

So I guess I better make an app't to see my internist. My father had bad coronary artery disease leading eventually to heart failure: he died at 80, which was way longer than his doctors thought he would make it. Sheesh... family history, plus being this much overweight... I don't know whether they're going to want to do a catheterization study at this point, or what will happen. At the very least, I should be able to get a medication (nitroglycerin?) to help with the pain, if it happens again.

I've been very tired all day today, and as you can imagine, I've been pretty worried. I wonder if my recent increase in exercise—walking a mile and a half on Wednesday—has anything to do with it. I'm going to be very careful about not letting my heart rate get too high, at least until I get my doctor's opinion.

Damn it all! I want to live to 90 or more. Everyone on my mother's side of the family are very long-lived. I have a great aunt who is 102.

Welcome merstopher! Sorry to be so grim, y'all.

Last edited by Fiona W; 01-05-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #45  

Fi I'm glad you are taking care of it hope you see your doctor soon!
Closed Thread