Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 326.2/316/160 Back 5-2013

Height: 5'7"

Default What helps you to be successful?

In another thread we were talking about how we need to find healthy ways to comfort ourselves rather than turning to food. In a sense, we need to have back up plans and contingency plans to help us succeed.

This is what I have so far...I think eating good things so I am truly not hungry to begin with is my first step. Then I remembered that chewing gum helps me too. Checking in here at 3FC is helpful and I have a friend that is trying to lose weight too so we will be checking in on one another. I love referring to some of my favorite scriptures and I may even get out my scrapbooking stuff so I could work on that sometimes when I am home.

What helps you to be successful at not overeating and making good choices?
tw326at41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Interesting post.

These things help me:

1) the mirror. Once an enemy, then turned friend.

2) the gym and running.

3) new clothes.

4) Icebreakers mints (2 calories a pop)

5) Not politically correct but true for me.....BEER!

6) And of course 3FC, especially on those tricky days.

Last edited by IanG; 05-29-2013 at 02:07 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #3  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Sitting on the couch and getting my cat to come curl up in my lap. I hate to disturb her unless I absolutely have to once she is asleep.

If I am feeling agitated or aggressive, I get my gaming on. Right now I am really enjoying Torchlight 2.

Curling up with a good book. Books transport me and if I can get out of my mind, often times the troubles are much easier to put into perspective.

Dancing and walking help. I always feel better afterwards, even though sometimes it is hard to get started.

Doing something else productive, like a bit of cleaning. This is a hard one for me, but it does usually make me feel better and I am not very tempted to eat with cleaner smells on my hands.

Having a really nice cup of coffee or tea will often be all I need.

When it is nice out I will go outside and sit on the front porch for awhile to breathe in the outside. In the summer we get fireflies.

Write about it. Journaling can be so great to get out onto paper whatever it is.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 315/296/160

Height: 5'10"

Most of these activities sound like doable non-caloric diversions for me, except for IanG's Beer and Nancy's cat ;->. I can incorporate these into my arsenal of activities to help me avoid eating for comfort. I garden, but I can't pull weeds and deadhead spent blooms at night, which is my most susceptible time. Some of these that you've listed sound like very good nighttime diversions. I will start trying them so that I can (in the words of IanG) start dropping the weight like it's hot. Thanks you guys. You've been very helpful.

Last edited by gamechanger; 05-30-2013 at 05:48 PM.
gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw326at41 View Post
In another thread we were talking about how we need to find healthy ways to comfort ourselves rather than turning to food. In a sense, we need to have back up plans and contingency plans to help us succeed.

This is what I have so far...I think eating good things so I am truly not hungry to begin with is my first step. Then I remembered that chewing gum helps me too. Checking in here at 3FC is helpful and I have a friend that is trying to lose weight too so we will be checking in on one another. I love referring to some of my favorite scriptures and I may even get out my scrapbooking stuff so I could work on that sometimes when I am home.

Good thread tw!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I had to remove everything that got in my way of success:

I cleaned out my fridge, freezer and pantry of all the foods that trip me up. Yes, to some it feels like wasting money, but to me, eating it was the waste of money.

I don't drive by fast food restaurants. (Old bad habit!)

I let go of people in my life that stressed me out too much.

I get rid of my old clothes as they get too big to wear. Not going back there again!

New things that I do:

I fill my fridge, freezer and pantry with the foods that support my goals. They are simple and quick to make.

I make sure to eat adequately before grocery shopping so that I don't cave to something I might see. Really, I am very suggestible!

And that reminds me, I don't watch cooking shows any more. And I only watch shows I record so I can skip past food commercials.

When I go out, I research restaurant menus so I know what to order before I go.

I exercise with a great community of people who are incredibly supportive and lots of fun to be with. It keeps me coming back.

I have developed a great network of support.

I have learned to exercise self-compassion and to appreciate my body as it is.

I make meaningful goals. I don't have a goal weight per se. I just want to eat and exercise so I can create an optimum level of wellness. And right now, that means I'm not overeating (for the most part) and I'm exercising daily, plus getting good sleep (when I can).
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #7  

planning is the biggest key for me! If its not on my menu I dont eat it!
I drink slimfast if Im to busy to sit down and eat a meal. It fills me and up and keeps me from snacking and also from over eating at meal time.

I tend to avoid people that stress me. If they call and I start to feel snacky I make and excuse to get off the phone.
Water is a huge key for me!
The scales can be frustrating but they really do help keep me focused.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 331/320/250

Height: 5ft 5ins

This is a great post!!

1. Keeping a weekly menu, if i don't plan i would make bad food choices for sure!!

2. Chewing Gum, it just helps me in between meals.

3. Music, i have a playlist of favourites and music just makes me happy in general.

4. Writing in my journal and reading, magazines or a book.

5. Daydreaming, thinking of how much fitter i am going to be and that nice sundress i will be able to wear.

6. 3FC!! Coming here and reading the posts and looking at the goal pictures, so so inspiring!!
BuffyInSunnydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #9  

Water is a great one! I have been working on getting my water intake up again and it does keep me full. I have not been exercising much either. I looking for a Zumba class that my daughter (age 6) can do with me. I think we both may like that. IanG: Beer is good but at this point I am not ready to use my calories that way. Plus what I would realy like is a swirl! Yum. The other thing I think will help me to be successful is just to be aware of "when" I am eating "for comfort" and not hunger. Too often I find the I figure that out after it is too late. Lol!
Thanks for the great ideas. Keep them coming.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #10  

Wow! These ideas and practices are great. I've already incorporated the fast food joint avoidance and some other things you've all mentioned. I've got to get on the ball in the exercising department--got to start moving a lot more. Also, I'm going to return to chewing gum. I stopped chewing gum because a former administrator of mine once complained about it (no I didn't smack the gum). She told me that chewing gum was unprofessional. But now that I think about it, her butt was as skinny as a rail, and she's not my mama. Gum chewing here I come!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I like to go outside and read a book in the sun. I'm less tempted to keep going back inside for snacks, and it helps me to realize how much I'm eating my how many times I've been inside to get food.
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #12  
Moving one day at a time

S/C/G: 450/399/160

Height: 5'2"

The mirror and my limitations are what motivate me the most. I can't wait for the day where I won't be so disgusted with myself and am able to do things everyone else can without feeling like a burden.
wheezypi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #13  

wheezypi: I agree that my limitations can motivate me too. I am sorry you feel like a burden. I know I have felt that way before too but I hope you do not feel that way all the time. You are a great person and I am sure you have a lot to offer others. You are not a burden, you just have limitations and we ALL have limits.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #14  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out the way to curb the overeating. I overeat for different reasons under different circumstances. But it's always about comforting myself. The other day, as I was driving from L.A. home (about a 7-hour drive), I managed to not nibble all the way home because a friend helped me figure out that I get so tense while driving and the constant nibbling helps me relax. So I sat by the side of the freeway and said, "I cannot find safety in nibbling," about 50 times, until I believed it. And then I was able to distract myself with a good radio station most of the way home.

But last night, after work and an especially tough Pilates workout, I had to run errands and go grocery shopping before I went home. And I found myself taking a detour through Burger King. Even as I was driving out of their driveway with an Original Chicken Sandwich making it's way into my mouth, I was really wondering why I chose to do that. I was tired, but not that hungry. I was not doing what I wanted, and I was tired of the rigors of being a single parent with no back-up during the summer. Again. Feeling sorry for myself? Wanting to be distracted and entertained? Needing a break? Or some extra energy? I think I use fast food for instant self-care. I need to find a new way to do that.

Other things that help me stay on track are making healthy food choices. Especially getting plenty of vegetables. When I eat more than 8 1/2-cup servings of vegetables a day, I get enough micronutrients and I don't seem to have so many cravings. I enjoy satiety more often.

I also need a solid community of support buzzing around me all the time. I get my sons in on limiting my unhealthy choices. I work at a fitness studio. I have walked away from relationships that don't support my efforts. I come here daily. I track what I eat. It all works together to keep me moving forward in the right direction.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Height: 5'4"

I love this thread. Here is what motivates me or keeps me busy so that I can stay on track:

I drink lots of water!

I have a mind trick that I like to use, I say "I get to have strawberries and yogurt for my sweet tonight" instead of "I can only have..."

I walk every evening and usually have permission to have a snack when I get home depending on my intake for the day, but then when I get home I don't want to eat that late.

I have a wonderful support group. One of my friends is doing a 5K and now has me interested in doing them.

Finding clothes that once were tight now fit or fit better than they did.

People notice that I am becoming smaller than I was.

My limitations are becoming less and a less and that makes me even more motivated to stay with it.

Pam
pjvw34 is offline   Reply With Quote