Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #46  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

thanks for the good wishes...I feel a bit better today but am a bit afraid to say it too loud! Dolfingirl bless you, you sound like you are in a really bad place physically and it sounds like you are like me and struggle with the depression that comes along with having health problems.
When I was at my heaviest I had a conversation with my GP about the possible addiction effects of too much codiene. We came to the conclusion that it is better to take the pills to be able to move around....as I was a far greater risk from NOT moving because of the pain than the painkillers could ever present to me. Take care my lovely.
Twilightwing....good for you!!!! Keep up the good work.
I was really pleased I had my Poetry assignment mark back yesterday and had passed all 8 of the learning outcomes. My tutor actually called my written work outstanding!!!!
Hoping the improvement in my health today will continue and am aiming to be well enough for a mile on the flat on Saturday.
Take care all
Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #47  
I'm doing it for ME

S/C/G: 317/311/200

Height: 5'3

mountain walker- Congrats on the "outstanding Poetry". That is really awesome. I absolutely love poetry. Maybe youll give us a lil sample of your work one day??

well, as of this am , i have lost 10 lbs i am so excited. I never stick to weight loss attempts more than a week or so.. the not being able to have 'instant gratification' always makes me mad so i quit (what a child lmao). This time is different, and has been since i started. i know it's only been 15 days, but this time being Healthy matters to me more than instant gratification. as i think i have mentioned, im surrounded by 20 somethings all the time... that have no weight probs.. and they are so very sweet to me...in the last three days alone i have been offered: pizza, kfc, cheeseburger and fries from DQ, ritz crackers w/cheese, and ice cream. i was able to say no to it all without feeling deprived.. it was great btw, they dont eat out all the time... each offering was from a diff 20 something lol...
hope everyone that has been ill is better..
Old 10-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

Thank you ladies! You made me feel so much better and so did my doctor. He totally understood what I was saying and he set me up for an appointment to have my back looked at and my right knee. I've already seen Dr. Dubler because of my left knee, so I'll be happy to see him again. He's a very nice man and a good doctor with a very good reputation. I feel totally confident that he'll be able to help me out.

I'm hoping the same thing about the back doctor. I get nervous meeting new doctors. I get nervous that they're all going to say it's because I have to lose weight and I will just want to slap them. I know that, dumbass...but I'm 44 years old and I've been fat for years so something else is wrong... Of course I wouldn't be rude to them, not in real life anyway. I go to see that doctor on November 7...I can't wait.

I had to have x-rays done on my back and knee...I thought I was going to collapse on the poor girl--remember--I had no pain meds at this point so I only had around 5 minutes where I could stand or walk without having to go sit down. It took her almost 20 minutes to get it done. She’s standing there telling me not to move and take a step this way and that way, etc. I started to sweat because of the pain and effort just to stay standing. She got scared and probably thought I was going to have a heart attack on her. (Not that it's funny--but it kinda is. ) I told her I was sorry—I was scaring the poor thing and I felt bad—I told her I didn’t have any stamina left since I had hurt myself. She had to readjust the machine at one point and I told her—I have to sit down for a few seconds. She didn’t look happy about that until I told her that if I didn’t sit I would collapse on her. Thankfully it finished after that one and I could go back to the dressing room. I sat on the bench and just cried for a minute. Not big, deep wrenching sobs because I didn’t want anyone to hear me—I was naked at that point after all-- and I got dressed, left the office and sat in the lobby for another 10-15 minutes just to get the strength to go walk to my car. So that’s done and they’ll send the x-rays to my doctors and part of me hopes they actually find something wrong and that it’s not just cause I’ve gained so much weight over the last year. :P

But I am so happy as of last night when I got home and took a Tylenol with Codeine... My knees aren't hurting and my back isn't hurting--as much--if I still stand for too long they start to but I am pissed at myself! Looking back I can see that all of my pain started to get out of control when I ran out of the Tylenol a couple of months ago. It didn't even really cross my mind until I was talking to the doctor that that could be what is wrong with me--by trying to be too strong and thinking that I was healing enough to get off of the pain meds I set myself back who knows how long? I had some oxycodone in my medicine cabinet that I was taking for the pain but they didn't help like the Tylenol does. Mountain--what you said about being addicted to codeine is exactly what I've been afraid of and exactly the conclusion I came to as well. I am worried about something that probably won't happen--being addicted, I mean--and in the meantime I am crippling myself. Anyway--I was able to get my first good nights sleep in a very long time because of the meds and I feel so grateful that my pain is manageable right now.

Twilightwing-- 3 cheers for you! That first 10 lbs. is gone but the cheers are more for your attitude. Once you have that you will be able to lose all you want. Even if you have a "bad" moment you will be able to get yourself right back in that mindset and that is wonderful. Most of the people who work for me are younger and the college kids try to "fix" everything and make me feel better too. Most of them are good kids no matter what the press says about them.

I feel bad that your back hurts you daily too. It is so frustrating. Thank you for putting into words what I was thinking--just getting through the day--sometimes I just can't come up with the words to say what I mean even if it seems so simple.

Mountain-- So we have a writer in our midst...congratulations! I know how great it feels when your professor singles you out for great work! Good luck on Saturday.

I hear some movement which means the bf and dogs are coming down. Talk to you later.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #49  

Height: 5'7"

weigh in today- down 1lb. Not bad since tom is here!! woohoo
Old 10-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #50  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

.... to all of you struggling with pain of any kind, esp for the back and knees. I sure know how you all feel. I was born with Spina Bifida and that is one of my issues -- lower back pain, and the weight I gained over the years did not help at all. It is much, much better now that I have lost so much; the same goes for my knees. Inclines/hills will always be difficult for me though. I am using two canes to walk now, and they are starting to heal much quicker. I'm sure it is the combination of the two that is helping so much.

Like MOUNTAIN says, it is better to use a little Tylenol here and there to keep you mobile. I have used and still use Tylenol 500 mg (and stronger in the past) whenever I need to help my body keep going (esp on those not-so-good days, when I just have to go somewhere important). Thank goodness, that I need it less & less as time goes by; now very rare these days.

I also use respites to give my body a break -- I stop and rest in spurts to take the strain off for a few minutes, and that strategy helps too. I use that for any activity, but esp for walking and doing my housechores. I also break my exercise up into small units (5-10 minutes at first), and up them only when I start to feel more comfortable.

I can walk much longer now than before, but now & then I have to take rests for 1-2 minutes, then resume. The last couple of days have been very good for me; and I have walked every day this week. If I feel stiff and sore (pain in lower back or knees), I don't go as far; on the good days (no pain), I go further and longer.

VICKI ~ thanks, and I hope you get these pain issues for your back & knees all sorted out very soon. I have been in your situation in the past so many times. This is the very reason I just had to get this weight off! I want to be healthy and pain-free and comfortable again! Don't give up -- where there's a will, there's a way!

TWILIGHT ~ good for you for resisting all those junkies -- great NSV!!!

dGramie ~ that's great; keep plugging away at it!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #51  

I know closer I get to 50 more my body aches. I am still blessed not to have any major problems, I really need to get out and walk more so that as I age it wont be as hard to walk.
Grandkids are coming today for a visit. I need to do a bit of housework before they get here. I am going to attempt to take the older ones to church with me for the first time ever. I am happy to get to try it.
Lunch will be chicken fajatis and Im even hoping to get them made up before I leave for church.
Have a great day everyone!!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #52  
Rosebud

Quote:
I know closer I get to 50 more my body aches.
Yes, I have found the same thing, and so have others; so I would recommend to people to make sure to keep themselves walking as it does get harder as we age. I think our muscles feel stiffer and are affected by the weather more too; at least, it feels that way to me.

It was chillier out today; and I felt a bit stiff at the start, but I managed to push myself to finish my walk today anyways! My weekend went well: ate well, and did my walking too. I have found a good route now that is more comfortable than the last place I lived, so I think that makes a difference too.

Have a wonderful OP week everyone; and just do your best ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-21-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #53  

I had a great day went to church and then home to play with my grandkids. I love getting to spend time with them!! I was sure wiped out by bedtime last night.
Ok I dont want to post a gain for the year so I really need to get with it. I did have my first healthy weekend of eating in ages. Got my meals planned out for today.
Its suppost to be really warm here for the next few days. HOping to take the kids to the playground today. Gotta get it while we can before it turns cold.

The colors here are amazing this year! I hate to see it end!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #54  
Rosebud

dGramie ~ Yeah, for that successful weekend! The colors are beautiful here too. The yellows are so bright; and we had lots of orange and some rusty & rose/wine colors on our front vines & hydrangea bush -- very pretty.

Had a good OP day; got my walking in today when the peaked out for a while. Fasting overnight for tests in the morning -- can only have water until then. Had an earlier, hearty dinner to help my blood sugar levels stay more balanced; hope it works -- so far, so good.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #55  

Going with hubby for some heart test today, he isnt having any problems just routine test. Im hoping we can get glasses while we are out also. I also want to hit hobby lobby and get some crafting supplies. I am also going to finish up halloween shopping for my grandkids. I have them an outfit each and a few things of candy and chips. Not alot of candy!!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #56  
Rosebud

GEEPERS, where is everybody? This thread used to be so busy! The cold weather is back again; along with wet, chilly, and windy -- yuck! Had to get some tests done early this AM as well. That was after having to go look for my furry baby around 6 am (DH let out by accident?). Thank goodness, after about an hour, he heard me calling him and came zooming back home. Phew, I was so concerned with all the trucks out so early this am.

Pushed myself to go for a walk in the afternoon but felt like the tin man, and I was as slow as a but it was done! I am going to cheer myself for this one ... Eating was good too.

Hope all our friends are doing OK out there ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-24-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #57  
Rosebud

Well, the weather changed drastically yesterday. We went to DH's appt and picked up some new meds for him. I went out for a walk after dinner and it was simply gorgeous out there; it was so balmy, it felt like summer had returned. Then today, some cold winds returned for most of the day but we did have lots of .

Tonight, I decided to dress warmer and went out anyways; and it wasn't too bad after all, as the winds had died down considerably. My right lower back was hurting a bit at first, so I stopped and did some stretches and then continued on. The pain went and I was able to continue my walk at a good clip (well, for me ). I did a little extra too. Food has been very good all week; so glad about that!

We had some repairs done on the house later in the week, and the furnace cleaned today. The weekend will be kinda quiet again, and that's fine by me. I hope you all have a good weekend too ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-26-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #58  
Getting smaller everyday

S/C/G: HW: 393/IP: 347/CW: 198/GW:175

Height: 5'6

Hi y'all! Sorry I've been so MIA. I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #59  
the muse of memory

Hey folks!

I have been MIA for a bit. My home computer has been on the fritz, and work has been too busy for me to write much lately from here. I have continued with the diet though and had made it almost to 270 lbs. Perhaps I AM 270 lbs, but my battery-eating scale has eaten another set of batteries.

MountainWalker - congrats on the great marks in your classwork. I'm familiar with Wilfred Owen & Siegfried Sassoon; they work was powerful, probably even more so in context with the history of WW I. Hopefully by now you've gotten over your sinus problems and are feeling better.

Dolfingirl - I am so sorry that you are feeling so badly; I hope that your physicians are able to help you manage the pain. I cannot imagine having to function and live with that much pain, and trying to lose weight on top of it. Have you had any more news?

Twilightwing - congrats on the 10 lbs! You must be feeling great about your loss.

dgramie - it sounds like you are having a great time with your grandchildren lately; what sort of crafting do you do? I like to make jewelry, but don't get around to it much. I used to knit and crochet a bit, but I don't quite have the patience to stick with those projects.

Rosebud - we have a brief window of gorgeous weather last week, too. It even got up into the 80s a few days, with bright sunshine. Now, of course, we are on the back end of the storm and it is cold and wet here, and we are forecast to get snow tonight. Which will be interesting since we hardly had any snow last year. Our snow won't accumulate, but up in the mountains at Snowshoe they have a blizzard warning and are predicting 2 feet of snow on the ridgetops.

Devon! - it looks like you are doing great, keep up the great work, and I hope you are doing well, too!

I had a mini-vacation at the end of the week/this past weekend, as I had tickets to see Kishi Bashi and Tinawarin in concert a couple of hours from here. The scenery would've been better a week or two ago, as most of the trees had lost their leaves, but there was still some brilliant color.

The concert was really great; I hadn't been to the venue before. It's a small place, holds maybe 500 people on the main floor and in the small balcony, and dates from the 1880s. Was nervous about the seats (do y'all know the feeling?) beforehand, but I was fine. Well, the seats were a bit high off the ground for me as I'm short, so I couldn't put my feet down flat on the ground. That felt good. I don't think I'd've been fine 50 lbs ago. I probably wouldn't've gone 50 lbs ago.

Our hotel had a pool and I wanted to swim, but it was only open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., so it was closed when we got back and didn't open early enough for me to swim, as I wanted to be up and out. Went and did a bit of hiking, which was lovely, though I forgot my hiking stick. Technically, I didn't forget it. I lost it. After putting it somewhere I am sure I thought I would never lose it.

Then, did a bit of aimless driving; found a fruit farm and bought 1/4 peck of apples and some sugar-free apple butter. Drove through several pretty, small towns, and ended up in a larger one a downtown core that had a lot of historic charm. Took a long walk there, toured a couple of small museums, dreamed about the lovely Victorian homes with the maple trees and the wrought iron fences, and still made it to Columbus before dark. Went shopping, then out to dinner, and this time I was able to swim at the hotel pool. Although the pool was COLD and honestly not that nice, I love to swim. My bathing suit is noticeably too big now, which was nice.

Saturday I had a long drive home. I took my time, though, and stopped to see the Paul Sharp Pencil Sharpener Museum, and the country's only washboard factory, then made it to the Athens Farmer's Market in time to buy probably the last fresh, local, live flowers of the year. And some white Japanese turnips, and fresh heirloom tomatoes and some gorgeous egglants and so on. I was hoping to find the woman from whom I've bought beans in the past there, but I didn't see her.

Took the scenic route home from there, for clothes shopping, and then for lunch at a nice little salad/sandwich place in Gallipolis. Walked around downtown and the riverfront in an ugly, cold, drizzling rain. Found a leather handbag with the Aztec calendar on one side at a consignment shop and bought it for $5, then ducked into an old tavern/museum a few blocks away. Still made it home before dark.

I need to go buy candy for Halloween tonight. I doubt we will have many trick-or-treaters given the weather, but one never knows. Too bad, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #60  
Rosebud

DEVON ~ glad you dropped by for a sec ...

MEM ~ nice to hear from you again too. That lovely excursion you went on sounded great. I enjoy reading about them. Glad you got to go swimming while you were in one place at least, since you enjoy it so much.

Our weather is colder today too; had a little sprinkle of ***** that melted, but they are expecting more overnight too ... We can feel the cold in the air as it is very windy here too, so I won't be surprised to wake up to a white blanket tomorrow am.

I had to go for a test this am; then we went shopping. Picked up lots of lean meats, veggies, and fruit to last a while at least. DH is on new meds for a 10+ day trial; and so far, they seem to be helping a bit. Our repairman came today and put in our dryer vent -- yeah, I will get to use my dryer this year. Then he put up rails on our front porch so we can be safer this winter.

Hope everyone out there has a great week ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-29-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Closed Thread