Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Singe - I've got to find the cheese - sounds like a nice treat. Sounds like a wonderful party to share with the birds. Have fun!

Laura - hugs to you! We're always here.

Angela - back into the routine? It's always good to go and good to get home isn't it.

Heather - big weekend plans?

Deb - any relief from the heat yet? Yesterday was our one cool day at 92 - back to the furnace today for us. Take care of that knee.

Ruth - how are you? Stop in when you can.

I'm seriously considering changing up my plan and moving to the new WW plan, exploring now. What I'm doing is great and not sure why this is even running through my mind - so I'll check it out and decide.

Stay strong!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #32  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hi all, checking in quickly. Went a little over my calorie limit yesterday, but I'm back on track today. Next week I'm travelling again, this time to see family and deal with some family matters. Eating at my aunt's house is challenging: she prides herself on her cooking, so I kinda have to eat some of it--plus she thinks the way she cooks is very healthy, even though she adds a lot of sneaky calories that she doesn't realize when she's cooking. I think of it as an exercise in portion control, because eating less is the only way I can make it through at her house. I'll try to get at least one meal at a restaurant so I can control that meal (funny to think of restaurants as my back-up plan, huh?) Anyway, got some work tonight.

Singe: Glad your first week went well.

Carol: Just looking for something different, maybe?

Laura, Debbie, Heather, Ruth, anyone I missed: HI!

Have a great Friday, all.

Angela
Old 08-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #33  
*Amat Victoria Curam*

Height: 5'10'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggirls View Post
Singe - I've got to find the cheese - sounds like a nice treat. Sounds like a wonderful party to share with the birds. Have fun!
Stay strong!
I'm trying to find ways to go outside and enjoy where I live more, I think at some point as I'm nearer to my goals I'd like to look into a bicycle. Our peninsula has so many trails, and while I don't see myself as a racer that is something I'd really like to do: must look into a small SUV with a bike rack! I need an SUV or 4 wheel drive anyway, I'm now living in an area (mountain) that gets lots of snow and compacted ice when the nearby towns do not. A price to pay for the beauty!

And I love it when people share snack or treat ideas, don't you?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex_VVV View Post
Singe: Glad your first week went well.
It did! Scale has stayed the same for the 2 days after that first week, but I'm staying OP and it's also TOM so I'm just happy it hasn't gone backwards!

Confession: I've disliked rice my entire life and in reading about whole grains I heard about Uncle Ben's Ready Rice packets. I bought brown rice and a basmati rice just to try. I heated the brown rice and it was really good, plain! I'm one of those people who actually likes oatmeal with nothing added (the only other time I lost weight instant oatmeal was part of the equation) I think I'll buy some bulk brown rice to try to cook myself since budget is a concern with my plan. I'm pretty happy...it also reminded me as a child sometimes we'd have wheat berries cooked in the crock pot and I loved them also. I had to research those to find out what they were, lol!

As I learn more and navigate through this it's really interesting to find out more options and choices. At some point I'll probably take these staple items I'm liking and try to add spices and herbs, for now it's good to know I really do like some healthy things. I encourage children to be adventurous as part of our mealtimes during the school year, it's nice to be accountable in the same way....I think I'll add my stories to our discussions at the lunch table, those always provoke the children and they love to talk about human experiences and cooking!

Have a wonderful day, ladies, keep shining!
Old 08-07-2011, 04:24 AM   #34  

Smile

Good Sunday morning everyone, I hope your weekend is going well. I am doing ok. Right now i am maintaining according to the scale. Now if I don't blow it today I may make some progress next week. I will do low carb for at least three days.

I won't linger here this morning (computer still), but I wanted to say hello to everyone and let you know I am still here! Big Ruth
Old 08-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #35  

Angela - I think you are still on vacation - you threw me for a loop - yesterday was Saturday - was right there with you when you wished a happy Friday - would have given me an extra day.

Ahhh - Ruth - thanks for letting us know you're ok. Enjoy the day!

A few weeks ago I met the owner of an organic food company and bought a bottle of balsamic vinegarette (ok I can't spell it no matter how I choose) and she was sampling a tomato, cucumber and dill salad - today I will make it and hope it's as good as hers - the whole bowl was about 150 calories. Also on this weeks menu is a new recipe from Clean Eating, Spiced Eggplant and Beef Stir Fry.

Stay strong!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #36  
Committed to this

S/C/G: 285/268/135

Height: 5'5"

Hi all,

Just got back from food shopping. I bought some new things to try such as chicken cherry apple sausage.

Carol: That eggplant and beef stirfry sounds awesome. What spices are in it? I am doing WW points plus and it is working for me as long as I don't get obsessive about not using my extra points or my activity points. I find that I actually lose a bit quicker if I use a few of my activity points a couple of times a week. I like the flexibility that the plan gives me. I can eat out, I can go low carb if I want to, and have days where I have some carbs if I want to, and I am still on a plan. Also, the etools are really great. They are so much easier to use than the freebie tools out there in my opinion.

Singe, I use the Uncle Ben's microwave brown rice ALL the time. 90 seconds and its done and it doesn't taste like minute rice. (ie it tastes like REAL rice lol)

Angela, relatives seem to be the least supportive of weight loss in my opinion. I try not to eat too much and I also try not to draw attention to my dieting and make it the entire topic of conversation for everyone at the table LOL. It's difficult to balance the two in my opinion.

I am going to read today. I downloaded a new book on my kindle which is fiction but is about the banking crisis. It got good reviews in the New York Times so we shall see....

Hi to everyone I missed!

Have a great Sunday.

Laura
Old 08-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #37  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hey, all, just stopping in quickly. The day got away from me, and I suppose it's actually tomorrow

So, Happy Monday! (and good-night, lol)
Old 08-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #38  
*Amat Victoria Curam*

Height: 5'10'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggirls View Post
A few weeks ago I met the owner of an organic food company and bought a bottle of balsamic vinegarette (ok I can't spell it no matter how I choose) and she was sampling a tomato, cucumber and dill salad - today I will make it and hope it's as good as hers - the whole bowl was about 150 calories.
this sounds yummy-I'm starting to really like salads and fresh vegetables like pea pods and peppers, I hope to continue it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
Singe, I use the Uncle Ben's microwave brown rice ALL the time. 90 seconds and its done and it doesn't taste like minute rice. (ie it tastes like REAL rice lol)
I hope I cook it well! I think a rice cooker may be a good investment, I really want to try quinoa as well...thanks! How was the chicken sausage? I was thinking of getting turkey version for the first time, myself! I also picked up some tofu, what's happening to me, lol!

All of you have a great & successful day!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #39  

Height: 5'7"

I had a good weekend here.I was a bit high on calories on sat and perfect on calories yesterday. Both days were pretty carb heavy so I will really limit carbs today. Scales are actually up a bit today.
Im still not able to exercise with the knee. Hopefully it will start improving soon.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Morning!! I can't believe it's Monday!

My cucumber's and tomatoes are booming, so I've been making a lot of salads. Some come out better than others... but they are definitely low cal!!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #41  
Committed to this

S/C/G: 285/268/135

Good morning all,

I am posting before my day gets too hectic. It's going to be a very stressful week at work for me. I have been exercising on my lunch hour because I need the endorphins to get through my afternoon these days.

Heather, tell me some of your salad recipes! I get bored with the way I make salads and would love to try some new things.

Deb, the thing about carbs is that they cause you to retain a LOT of water. For every gram of carb, it binds itself to FOUR grams of water, so never look at your weight after eating more carbs than you are used to. Believe me, I learned this the hard way! (as I seem to learn everything related to weight and dieting)

Singe, the chicken sausage was delicious. I actually like it much better than pork sausage because its not as greasy. I get Niman farms sausage (available in places like Whole Foods or other organic markets) because it doesnt have nitrates or anything in it. I usually cook it either with a marinara sauce, or with peppers and onions and hot sauces. Yum. I am not good a cooking tofu, but I like it in thai food when I eat out. I like my tofu to be chewy not mushy and squishy.

Hi to everyone I missed and have a great day everyone.

Laura
Old 08-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #42  

I'll let you know how the eggplant/squash beef stir fry is tonight! The cucumber and tomatoe salad is awesome - not to mention easy!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Laura -- The basic cuc/tomato salad seems to be:
about 2 cukes
however much tomato you like.
some acid (either a kind of vinegar or lime or lemon juice).
a bit of sugar.
some herbs (mint, basil)
some kind of "allium" -- scallion, onion...

Some recipes have you remove moisture from the cukes by salting them, leaving them in a colander on the sink for about 30 min and then rinsing them off.

Don't know if that helps!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #44  

Height: 5'7"

heather- I made this yesterday. I love it with lots of pepper.I use splenda instead of sugar. YUMMY!!

laura- im still coming in a high on carbs. I will do better today because hubby will be gone today so no cooking for me.

carol- are you getting a break from the heat? We are suppost to be 80 tomorrow. I plan to spend some time in my swing!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #45  

Just a quick hello this morning! How is everyone? Deb, how is the knee?

I will be so glad when my SIL gets this tower and puts a new hard drive in. In the meantime I will be here when it lets me stay on long enough to say hi. LOL! Ruth
Closed Thread