Old 09-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #1  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

Angry Yes, this is a vent post!

Hello everyone,
This is my first post on this section. I'm a single Woman who is soon 38. I weigh 300 +, and I'm posting because am FED UP! I completed an Associate of Arts Degree Psych/Socio, Spring 2000, and finished 1 Year Bachelors Social Work/Human Services Counseling, Fall 2000 and Spring 2001. April this Year, I got an Interview for LPN School. I wasn't accepted, but view it as another achievement. This Semester, I returned to School, which is my first time in School in over 9 Years. My Major is Nursing (RN School). What angers me is, People asking if I might want to choose another Major field, or take a Medical Transcription Course and Work from Home. Why? Because I have weight issues!! This isn't only slender Women doing this to me. I realize Nursing can be a strenuous and demanding Profession, however, Nursing is no longer limited to Hospital or Nursing Home settings. I have a very negative Friend who was an RN for like 20 Years before becoming disabled. This Friend probably weighs a little over 100 lbs. Couple Month's ago, we were conversing on Telephone, and she asked if I had lost Weight and if I thought I was making the right decision. The only Health problems I have is, Degenerative Disc Disease and Type II Diabetes. No, the DDD doesn't correlate with my Weight, I had Osteomyelitis. I told her, it wouldn't matter if I weighed 147 LBS, I would still have Degenerative Disc Disease. She said, "Well, it would help if you weighed 147!.". I was in TEARS!!! The Woman who suggested Medical Transcription weighs well over 300 and has Lupus, which she's had since her first Pregnancy @ age 18! What is the use of going into a Profession that is of no interest? We would be miserable!! I've known since age 13 Nursing was the Career I wanted to persue. I cannot be around negative People or negativity, because it does nothing except upset me and bring me down. This is MY life and MY decision!
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:28 AM   #2  
Freshly Hatched

S/C/G: 409/249/220

Height: 5'2

Man, that is so terrible. You should view it as them just being so insanely down on themselves that they have to project it on to you. Those people who think you can't be a nurse are just jealous that you're not letting your weight keep you in the house! You are doing what you need to do, when you need to do it, and never forget that. Don't let people bring you down, you can get past everything and be a good nurse and help people God knows we need compassionate nurses who know what it's like to be sick!
Zimzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #3  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

I can understand your frustration on this, but you must also understand other peoples' reluctance to see you in the nursing role. As you say, "Nursing can be a strenuous and demanding Profession" and you do have some limitations at this point in time (and by the fact that you're here, you're working on those!)

I'm not sure what type of nursing you're looking at (apparently not Hospital or Nursing Home settings), but is it possible to shadow a nurse who actually does what you foresee doing, or volunteer in that setting somehow? It might give you more credibilty in showing that you know what you're getting into when people criticize your choice.

I have had a lot of experience as a patient, and Zimzim is right - we need compassionate nurses out there. So don't give up, but don't ignore the stumbling blocks that are there cause they'll only trip you up. Work on strategies to get over them, and you will!
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:29 AM   #4  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

I'm a nurse, in a hospital, 12 hour shifts and the whole bit. It IS hard work, physically and emotionally, but there is no reason you can't do it. Like you said, if standing on your feet and running around a hospital unit is outside your capabilities, there are about a million other ways to be a nurse! I take care of critically ill babies, so I don't have that worry that people won't take what I say seriously because I'm so overweight -- that's why I didn't choose cardiac care or some such.

I am SURE that as you progress in school, you will have a LOT of opportunities to go a LOT of places, and you will be able to figure out what would be a good fit for you. And if at any point you realize you don't want to continue, then you can just quit. If it's something you really want to pursue, the only failure would be in not trying!

Good luck!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:32 AM   #5  
Woman on mission!

Zimzim,
They are insanely down on themselves. My RN Friend had an unhappy Childhood. Her late Biological Father was an Alcoholic, and her Mother (for the most part) raised she and her Brother as a single Parent after she and their Father Divorced. My Friend became a Nurse, because at that time she was a single Mother with 2 young Daughter's to support. When she entered Nursing School, she didn't even have a High School Diploma or GED! She's had 3 unhappy Marriages and been Married to and Divorced from the Man she is currently Married to at least 4-5 times! She never advanced her Education. I on the other Hand will go on and complete BSN, MSN as I want to become an ARNP. My other Friend with Lupus is angry that the Disease has progressed to the point that she can no longer work and cannot get around without the use of a Walker or Cane. When she shops, she uses a motorized Cart because she can't walk around Wal-Mart or other Stores. I may have weight issues and Degenerative Disc Disease, but keep on keeping on. I'm an extremely compassionate Person, and since age 8 have Nursed the sick in my Family, then last Year a very sick Friend.

NB: I'm in no manner downing my Friends. I'm hurt and angry that they try and prevent me from doing what I desire due to their pain.

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 09-11-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #6  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

And also, what Shannon said
Quote:
If it's something you really want to pursue, the only failure would be in not trying!
As for your downer friends, I have a rule where I will seriously consider what people are telling me, take what (if anything) belongs to me and leave them the rest. You're moving forward; if they want to wallow, so be it, but don't you carry around that angst on youself! You have your own life to live, to the fullest!
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #7  
Woman on mission!

SeaWave,
I told a Friend who is supportive and encouraging, "Whose to say I won't lose a substantial amount of weight between now and then.". I'm finishing a couple Science Courses and Optional Electives. I won't have the Courses completed before the Nursing Application submission deadline is due for the next Class that begins, Fall 2011, so will have to wait until 2012. I have previously worked in Nursing Home and Home Health settings. I was big when working at both Jobs, but the Infection in Spine hadn't happened. In the area I live, RN's who Work at NSG Homes are usually DON's, Directors of Nursing or work as the Weekend RN. RN's working Home Health make Home visits..they check Vitals, talk with Patients about how their feeling, do various Treatments, Medication (s), consult with Physicians and of course do paperwork/Care Plans. At present, I'm uncertain which field I will work, but it will eventually come to me.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #8  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

Of course they're trying to get you to drop out. That makes their class standing higher and gives them the opportunity for a better job when they have their degree.

Don't assume that it's all based upon your weight. Nursing is very competitive. They're pushing buttons and trying to cull you from the herd for their own personal benefit...and whether it's true or not, don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Now go take names and kick @ss.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #9  
Woman on mission!

Shannonmb,
What was Nursing School and obtaining a Job (s) like for you? I ask, because my negative Friend also told me I would have problems in School, then it would be problematic obtaining a Job. Also, she told me my weight was more than likely why I wasn't accepted into LPN School. I did have a discrimination issue with a Woman at the School, but she doesn't work in/for the Nursing Program. I personally know many Nurses, LPN's and RN's who come in all shapes and sizes. Several are extremely large Women. They made it just fine through School, are wonderful Nurses and have great Jobs in the Nursing field. Right now, my 2 Friends are the only People who aren't taking me seriously with my desire of becoming a Nurse. It is bordering on discrimination with Women who are supposed to be my Friends!

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 09-12-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #10  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Well, I would say that nursing school had some self-imposed challenges for me that the non-obese probably didn't have to worry about. I was paranoid at times when we did stuff like take each other's blood pressures (what if the cuff doesn't fit me?). And my nursing school actually wore tailored white uniforms, and I practically had a panic attack the night before I had to go get fitted (no way will they have a size to fit me, OMG, the lady doing the fittings is going to be thinking "what is THIS!"). They indeed had a uniform to fit me, and the fitter was actually very kind. I don't remember if the cuff fit, but if not, apparently it wasn't a big deal! I just kept chugging along, facing every challenge and possible blow to my self esteem as it came. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree Summa Cum Laude (GPA 3.93), and got the very first job I applied for, my dream job.

So as I said, the only REAL obstacles I faced were with my own demons. Which is exactly why you DON'T need these naysaying evil-doers fanning the flames! If I were you, I would tell them to either try to be supportive, or mind their own damn business! BMI < 30 is NOT in the job description!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #11  
Woman on mission!

AZ Sunrises,
Only 1 of my Friends was an RN. The other worked regular Jobs in Management or positions of authority, and I can tell it! The RN Friend hasn't worked in several Years. She has Health problems and just got approved for Disability couple Month's back. I have yet to meet my Academic Advisor, and I'm scared to. I don't want her to silently think to herself, "Oh no, it is impossible for this Woman to make it through School.". Discrimination is out there. I've been subjected to it already!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #12  
Woman on mission!

SeaWave,
By the age of 35-1/2, my entire immediate Family and 2 Grandmother's had died. It is me, myself and I. My Inheritance won't last forever and I pay my way in life. I MUST have a means to provide for myself. Nursing is an excellent paying Career, but the Money isn't why I wish to become a Nurse. I desire with my entire Heart to reach out and help the sick, hurting and brokenhearted. To make a difference in the lives of those who may never of had someone to care for them or about them.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:52 AM   #13  
Woman on mission!

Shannonmb,
I would be scared to strip off in Bra and Panties to be fitted for Uniforms, but more scared wearing white Uniforms and having an oopsie while on my Period! If a smaller BP Cuff doesn't fit around the Brachial, then a small Cuff around the Antebrachial will work. That is what Nurses do if there isn't a larger BP Cuff in the Exam Room. The Nursing School I will attend is a Premier Community College that only offers an Associate of Applied Science in Nursing. There are no Universities in this area that offers a Bachelors of Science in Nursing. Most of the People who advance to BSN have done so online. I love yours and others who've replied sassiness! I have a sassy attitude, but when you get knocked and beat down as I have, it gets depressing.

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 09-13-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like you need to loose the negative "friend" I am only saying that because as I have been becoming a more positive person..I have had to do that. Good luck!
azcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:23 AM   #15  
Woman on mission!

Azcyn,
Yes, you are 1,000 % right. I need to loose her! We don't see each other often, but do occasionally speak on Phone. I've listened to how her eldest Daughter was made to have Baby's (3..will probably be Pregnant again before Halloween!), her middle Daughter who is a MT, Massage Therapist is in School for PT Assistant (maybe I need to check into doing that), and how happy she is her youngest Daughter decided to stay Home and get a Job instead of going to College. She downs me, yet next to last time we talked, she downed her own Mother! A wonderful Woman that made MANY sacrifices and is out THOUSANDS on her!! My Friend could never in this lifetime repay her Mother for everything she has done for her.

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 09-14-2010 at 01:24 AM.