Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #16  
Endeavor to Persevere

S/C/G: 386/see ticker/200

Height: 5'7"

Ok gals! I need a little support here...

I don't want to complain too much because ANY loss is better than none at all but here's the deal...

I started my journey on the 1st of this month and I have been going to Curves since then as well. After the first week and a half, I weighed myself on a different scale than the first one they used (Curves has two scales in the facility) It appeared that I had lost about 17.5 lbs. I was shocked and asked the girl how off from each other the two scales were. She said very little if any! Well I went today and decided that I was gonna weigh again before I left because it will be 3.5 more weeks before we get weighed and measured again! I used the scale that was used when we first went in and it seems that I have only lost about 13.5 lbs. I know it's only a four lb. difference and I have to be positive about this but it is slightly discouraging although...

13.5 lbs. lost in 2.5 weeks.....I'll take it!

It just sort of disappointed me to know that I hadn't really lost that much but I still have 3.5 weeks to get that number up there! I have changed my tracker because I can't have myself thinking that I have lost more than I really did. I would rather think that I haven't lost all that much and find out that I lost quite a bit than to think that I have lost lots and didn't really do that well.

Ok, I'm through whining now! Thanks for the support! I WILL DO THIS COME HECK OR HIGH WATER!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #17  

ok Stella,

I have some news for you.. this was written by a friend of mine (Diana Cox) and she explains the stall (even gain) at 3-4 weeks:

"A "stall" a few weeks out is inevitable, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a saber tooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored."

You are also working out to keep up your muscle mass!

Don't get discouraged. Your body loses in fits and starts. Just keep up the great work, ok?

Hugs,
Ratkity
Old 03-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #18  

Height: 5'6"

Hey Thinmint...I'll trade you your 13.5 lbs in 2 weeks for my 8 weeks and no loss. Rk is right...your body is just adjusting...and the weight loss will start again. I am actually experiencing my very first true stall since I started losing. Sure a week or two here or there, but EIGHT weeks is definitely trying my patience. I am here for the long haul and its about HEALTH and not the number on the evil tormenting scale!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Evening ladies...

Its subway tonight! My son works there so we get a pretty decent discount!

I might be scarce around here for a few..my nieces birthday is coming up and i gotta get her gift done. Also my cousin is going to have her baby soon..gotta finish up the quilt.

Love yall..seriously!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #20  
Endeavor to Persevere

Thanks for the encouragement! Tori, I think I'll keep my 13 lbs. You have come so far! Congrats!! Hang in there, you will start losing again and will be at your goal in no time!

Is it true that sometime you have to shock your system to start losing again? I guess that means having a "cheat" day or something so that your body feels normal again! Just wondering
Old 03-18-2010, 07:11 AM   #21  

Hello my Peeps!

Stella, I think after a true stall (3 months without a loss), some people believe a day of either really low carbing or really high fat or carbing will break the stall. I've not found any scientific evidence to supoort the claim, just antedotal.

As far as being stuck for a few weeks, I think patience is the key. Of course, I'll need reminding of this when I start complaining that the scale hasn't moved in several weeks!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Old 03-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

13.5 lbs. in 2 months is an extremely high amount of weightloss. you should be proud of yourself!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #23  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I've got to go speak at the medical school again. I swear none of them look old enough to drive let alone be doctors. I'm feeling old and grouchy. Better that than taking a dirt nap I guess.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #24  
Endeavor to Persevere

Rat - we'll sure be there for ya when you need it

Million - that loss was for 2 and a half weeks. I have only been on this journey for almost three weeks! I'll take any loss. It seems like a lot for that amount of time I know but I'm sure most of it is water weight and I've even had TOM along for almost the duration

I am just truckin along doing the best I can. As long as it's a loss I will certainly need the encouragement and support if there is ever a gain as will anybody. Ok, I'm finished now. I am gettin ready to head to a potluck dinner for my BIL who is home from afghanistan. I will try to tolerate these people of which I spoke about in an earlier post!!

Prayers will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Thinking of our beloved Annie this morning as she has gallbladder surgery.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Hugs to you Annie! Hope it's over soon & you can heal & get healthy for Summer.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thinmin, I know what you mean, your loss was good anyway but to get a reading +4lbs must be annoying, still onwards & downwards, lol! xxxxxxx
Ratkitty give Ratrat a hug from me, lol! Hope she carries on getting better. xxxxxxx
Found out the other day my Dad has to have TRIPLE bypass, waiting to hear when. All those years of breathlessness & Dr's put it down to his lungs!!!Grrrr He has to wait til the meds he was on are out of his system before they can do the op, so we are all just waiting oh yeah & EATING CR*P & drinking wine in my case....WHY?????? I know I'll feel bad, it won't help & I'll get fatter AND it may make my health worse if I take after him & STILL I DO IT!!!! DOH!!!!
Anyway I'm getting through it & it will be yet ANOTHER fresh start on Monday...
Sorry to moan, I'll try & be more cheery next post, promise!
xxxxxxxxsharon
Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #27  

Morning my Peeps!

Annie, i've been sending calming thoughts all week and now I'm sending them for a fast surgery and speedy recovery!!!

Sharon, oh dear about your dad. The good news is they finally are going to make your dad feel better. Bypass surgery is scary, but nearly routine. Let us know when he's in surgery, so we can send healing thoughts to him! He must be a strong guy to have survived this long being misdiagnosed. I gave Ratrat special hugs this morning from you!

Ratrat continues to improve. She is going for more fluids at the vet today. I know she's going to be a pill. She complained this morning that the dog water bowl was nearly empty and woke me up early. She's walking around more too. Still is walking heavy for a kitty, but not on her hocks anymore. More good news is that she's eating dry food without throwing it up. When the kidneys go, the acid in the stomach messes up and dry stuff doesn't digest well.

I'm continuing to gain energy. The weekend looks like it might be a great time for BikerChick to hop on the bicycle for a few miles!!!

Hugs to everyone.

Luv,
Ratkity

ETA: Catherine, everyone at the Univ of MD (half mile down the street) looks like they just got out of kindergarden!! Go splash in the pool, that'll remove the grumps.

Last edited by Ratkitten; 03-19-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #28  

Sending prayers and positive thoughts Annie's way for a successful surgery today.

Sharon...sorry to hear about your dad. Hopefully things will be routine and he will be on the mend soon....
Old 03-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 348/315/200

Hi ladies. It's been a long week here, but not all bad. I'm glad to be on here and making new friends.

RatKitty, I'm glad your RatRat kitty is eating dry food successfully again and walking around more. Is that her in your avatar?

ThinMint, congratulations on -13.5 pounds that's awesome!

Sharon, sorry to hear about your Dad. It's tough when you are waiting like that for sure.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #30  

Hiya my peeps!

Yup babble, that is Ratkity in my avatar. She's a psychotic kitty that only loves me. Typical tortishell behavior. She's 15.5 yrs old and we've been going to get fluids nearly weekly for the past 2 months. Today she hissed and spit, but didn't pee on the vet like last time lol.

Update on Annie, she's home and resting!!! Apparently, she did fabulous in surgery. GGG gave me a call as soon as Joel called her. Speedy recovery, Annie!!!

Hugs to all,
Rat
Closed Thread