Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

morning ladies...

I am still here reading..

Last night was a bad night. I did so good all day at work. No crying and just felt pretty good. Then last night when I got home, the shakes started again. I tried to go to sleep, but was crying and not feeling well. Work should be interesting today. Another thing I noticed when I was shaking, was for about an hour I had to pee about every 15 min?? My urine was clear too??? That has happened to me once before. So gotta tell the Dr about that.

Tonight I will try the anti depressants. Thats another thing that got me crying. I never in my life thought I would ever need to be on them.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #62  
Inch by Inch/Senior Mem

S/C/G: 359/319/160

Height: 5.3

Good morning darlin's,

Rat, thank you for that input, I am going looking this weekend and will check out the beach cruisers as well as the recumbant. I think I am leaning towards the 3 wheeler so far, but we shall see cause one never knows. Question: How come the energy goes to the seat or is this a dumb question? Leaning towards that 3 wheeler for a number of reasons; I can't fall off, lol, but serious about that, maybe easier to get on and off, and I will not be affraid on it, and I have no hills where I live.

Letstry,
Hoping for some good rest and sleep for you and hot dang it is Friday.

Debbi,
Praying for good news from the doc. By the way, how is that garden of yours coming along? Any fruits of your labor yet? We have only planted tomatoes and cukes, but this weekend, hebs are going in.

Annie,
Just a hi there coming your way. I am amazed by you.

Carol,
Thanks for the reccomendation of this thread. You are the girl!!!

Julia,
You are a busy woman, I need to call you supermom. I know how that is, I have four daughters and when they were small, there were swimming lessons, dance lessons, track, gril scouts, sleep overs, and traveling for all the junior olympics. I stayed busy, but those were the wonder years, I miss them, at least some times. LOL

Everyone have a great and trully blessed day.

Hugs and smoochies,
Ags
Old 06-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #63  

Aggie and other aspiring BikerChicks,

You have come to the right source for bike info! *dons BikerChick outfit of spandex and humongous Tshirt*

Seats: When you have a padded seat or one too large/wide, you bounce a lot in the seat and move side to side in order to pedal downwards. While you do this, you expend a lot of energy trying to maintain balance. Shifting constantly side to side in a large seat also will give you sores.. OUCH! Also with a too-wide seat, you'll have a tendency to scoot forward on the nose of the seat in order to pedal more efficiently up and down. This will also cause the tender female area to get sore (males too!). All in all, a bike that is not fit properly is NOT a pleasure to ride. I am an advocate of the local bicycle shop because these professionals will spend time with you to get the right bike for you. It's also nice to hear that you'd have to weigh >500 lbs before a bike couldn't support you. All bikes support equally, but not all bikes will fit a person equally (if that makes any sense).

In a recumbant (and they make 3 wheeled ones) you are using different muscles and your feet are in front of you pedaling, so the seat can be as comfy as an easy chair!

Hint on fit: Once the bike pedals have been adjusted so your leg is slightly bent when the pedal is down while you sit on your seat, you'll find you can't touch the ground except on your tippy toes. This is a correct fit. Most bikes are unisex and you should be able to stand over the top bar and not have it touch you while your feet are flat on the ground. The bike seat should poke you in the upper tail, lower back area with your feet flat on the ground.

Getting off and on - the proper dismount:
To get off the bike, hold the handlebars and at least one brake held with the bike leaning to the left and swing your right leg behind you (over the seat) to dismount (lean right, left leg swing if you feel more comfy). Even with "women's" bikes where there is a lowered top bar (called a top tube), I do not recommend pulling your foot thru the triangle. Too many people end up on their rears, sitting on the bike because their foot got tangled while trying to dismount this way. As a kid we could do this, but our balance was different and we also rode with no hands.

Other equipment:

Find some padded gloves, your hands will thank you. Also, if you fall, you won't scrape your palms. Try on a bunch at the bike shop. If there aren't any there that seem comfy, you can find them at most sporting goods stores, Wally World, Kmart, REI, etc.

Get a helmet!! Wear it properly as instructed by the bike shop. Your helmet front should be at the front of your forehead and not wobble back and forth when clipped under your chin.

Spandex - it's not just for the skinny peeps! - The bike shorts you can get now days are nicely padded in the tender genital area. You can get 4x bike shorts at Terry bicycles. I used those at my highest weight and they weren't too tight. You can wear reg shorts over them if you feel they look too revealing. I find getting on and off the bike with spandex padded shorts and regular shorts to be a pain. I finally just went pure spandex... too bad it doesn't scare the psychosquirrels in my neighborhood.

Water bottle - Always a plus. Fill 1/3 the way with water and freeze at an angle. When ready for use, put reg water on top and have cold water for a little while on a hot day.

Tools and other implements of destruction - No use carrying these if you don't know how to use them. Under the seat packs are great for carrying them, bananas, snack bars, id, cell phone, baby wipes, sunscreen and lip balm.

Misc stuff
: I'll wear a light headband that doesn't interfere with my helmet cuz I sweat like a piggie. I also will wear an ipod shuffle with the headset in one ear set on low for some inspirational music (this is illegal in some areas, check local laws).

Pedals with cages
- these are actually good because it keeps your foot in the correct position. You don't have to tighten them. Just remember to pull your foot backwards out of the pedal and not try to lift your foot off sideways. I use clipless pedals (bottom of special shoes are clipped in). If anyone wants to know more pm me.

I think that covers it!

Have a great time and feel free to ask any questions.

Hugs,
Ratkity

Last edited by Ratkitten; 06-12-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 409/397/160

Height: 5'7

Hello Ladies,

I have had a pretty good week as far. It is the weekend now and my goal is to keep track of my points. I always fall off on the weekends. My hubby is a HUGE fast food and sweets person, and with the combination of on the go all the time as well it gets really hard. I have a baby shower to go to tomorrow so that will also be a challenge for me. Wish me luck! I hope everybody has a great weekend.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Friends - I have a special request from Debbie (dgramie)

Her DH went for the heart cath this morning. They are unable to do it due to a blood clot in his lung. His is currently hospitalized - I'm sorry I don't know much else. She asked that I post requesting prayers. She is scared and will let us know more as she is able.

Thanks,
Carol
Old 06-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 330/305/190

Height: 5'10

Prayers are on their way.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #67  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello and Happy Friday!

Popping in to say hello and catch up with everyone. I have been in lurk mode lately. After visiting a friend a few weeks ago who has had great success with Weight Watchers (we used to be about the same size), I decided to go back on that program (I tried it about 4 years ago and liked it, but then moved and stopped - with obvious results) since I think I need the structure that WW offers. So far so good and even hubby is watching his points and making healthy eating choices.

I'm at work, taking a break right now, and boy, 7:00 p.m. cannot come fast enough! This will be the first Saturday I've had off in a month.

Anywho, enough about me!

Jacquie, I went walking last Sunday and forgot about sunscreen, too - I remembered once I saw the burn forming on my arms. Ouch! Congrats on the 4lb loss! Oh, and about those catty, immature girls - argh! Sadly I think we have all run into that issue and know how angry and hurtful it can be. Good for you for saying something, though - hopefully they feel as bad about it as they should be and will keep their mouths shut in future.

Cyn, sorry to hear you're having such a hard week.

Torister - hey chickie! Glad to see someone else back from a hiatus, too - although sorry to hear that alot of the weight came back (same here) but hey, on the positive side of things, at least you kept 30 off and didn't come back even higher than when you started. Sounds like you're in the right frame of mind to tackle this once and for all. Oh, yes, and Happy Birthday!

Kootch, you're right, it's progress and the scale is heading in the right direction, that's the main thing!

Annie, wow, I'm just blown away every time I see you. You look amazing and I imagine you must feel that way too.

Aggie, welcome! Your row of pink cheerleaders made me smile - keep 'em going, girl!

Carol - hey you, here I am again. Hugs and prayers for you and Johnnie.

Gosh, I'm only through the first page and have to get back to work. Hello and hugs to everyone I missed and I hope you have an OP weekend.

- Lesley ... counting down the minutes til she can go home and start her weekend ...
Old 06-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #68  

debbie (dgramie) healing vibes and strength on their way to you and your DH.

Hugs,
Rat
Old 06-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 409/397/160

Height: 5'7

I will pray for your hubby and family.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 376/see ticker/195

Height: 6'2"

Debbie - My thoughts are with you and your family. I hope this is just one more hurdle that the family will jump over with ease.

Had to state that before I starting rambling and potentially forget. Forgetting is bad.

Well, this long week is basically over. I am happy to say we did at work what we needed to accomplish. So that is good, and a relief to all. On a bad note, there were lay-offs at a site in California, and undoubtedly there will be more coming this summer (at additional sites). Apparently they will be doing small pockets of lay-offs to make it less apparent. That will be a fabulous stress I get the honor of dealing with.

Things with my dad....he doesn't need a pacemaker apparently. His issue appears to be his blood sugar, and it just dropping rapidly. The other night my folks ate a good size dinner, and he went to take his insulin later. He took it, and within 30 minutes he had to call for my mom to bring him a soda, an energy, and his BS monitor. He was at a 40. He is someone who tries to control his BS so tightly that he tends towards ridiculous lows rather than highs. He considers his glycated hemoglobin result as his grade. I am hoping he gets it under control. In addition, both of his knees are getting bad, and the last fall he took really did some damage. Watching him age is depressing.

I climbed back on the eating well wagon on Tuesday, and am nearly done with the damage I did on Monday. Likely won't be a weight loss week, but hopefully not much of a gain either. DH got a balance/core ball thingie, and so I have been bouncing and doing misc things on that in the evening. Not tonight, I am just exhausted.

Ratkitty - So nice to see you around. You are the biker chick for sure. Thanks for all of the info. I do a semi-squishy seat on my bike, didn't realize I was wasting energy on that. I hate when my girlie bits hurt from riding. I admit, I haven't ridden this year yet, I am more of a walker at this point.

Carol - Hi there. How are things going?

LitChick - It's great you feel like you have found the plan for you (WW). I truly still haven't found the perfect one for me. In my mind, since diabetes is a big thing in my family, I feel like I should be doing either a Low GI/GL diet or South Beach. BUT, sometimes I just need the cheat and I don't want to feel like an absolute failure (which would be on those diets), so I seem to keep plodding along with calorie counting.

Ags - Keep plodding along, at some point you will turn around and say "when did I lose all that weight?".

Cyn - I hope things stabilize for you at some point.

Annie - I still think you are amazing. Each time I see you post I think "how deep and darn she has lost a lot".

Letstry - I hope the job works out for you. It's so hard job hunting. Ridiculous stress. Good luck to you.

OK, that's about it for me.

Take care and be well,
Angie
Old 06-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #71  
Inch by Inch/Senior Mem

Hi everyone,

Carol a bunch, I really do like this thread.

So far so good today, I have well with my eating. Went to the grocery store for some healthy stuff, making ceviche this weekend and an Asian Avacado Turkey burger with sweet potato fries (baked of course). Some lenmon and bluebeery muffins find their way into my basket, but I have cut all of them in half, so that way I am not eating the whole thing, think I will send some of them to my daughters house.

I will be in prayer for Debbi and her husband, I can only imagine how she feels, I was affraid just to have the heart cath and I was fine. I wish I could be there with her to hold her hand.

thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and cheering me on, I feel right at home.

Angie/Realist,
I will be in prayer for your dad as well. Diabetes can be a serious thing but it can be controlled, thanks heavens for that. I control mine with meds and now with releasing the weight, eventually I can come off of it. Stay hopefull.

Litchik,
Great job on trying WW again, I love it, so we can do this together. I'll be your cheerleader.

Winki,
I feel your pain, my hubby is an awful eater. I was so happy when he decided to count points with me. Well it lasted for about three months, he is eating everything he can find now, thank goodness he has not detered me. You will do it.

Rat,
YOu are the bomb!!! I am calling you the Bike Queen or the Bike-n-nator!!! How did you learn so much about them?? Great info kiddo.

Hope everyone else has a wonderful weekend and evening.

Later gators,
Aggie
Old 06-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

Hugs..and prayer for you dgramie!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #73  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I'd like to put in a plug for my favorite bike seat. The Hobson Easyseat is an adjustable "two cheek" seat. Instead of riding in your crack, it's got two seats that pivot as you bike, and can be adjusted pretty wide. I have ridden bikes most of my life, and have never liked the seats until I found this one. I even take one with me to the gym when I want to ride one of the stationary bikes. They have one bike there without a seat for people who bring their own.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 330/305/190

Height: 5'10

Hi Ladies,

I'm going to be doing a lot of walking today. I will be at a street fair and am making the promise to myself to stay within my limits when choosing food for lunch.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #75  
Inch by Inch/Senior Mem

Catherine,
thanks for the suggestion, I am going out to look for one and I will definetly look at those. Sounds super comfy.

Ags
Closed Thread