Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit after 40 #185

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Morning, all!

Snow flurries yesterday, and more expected today. A huge difference from what's going on in California these days!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #3  
BELIEVE!

Good Morning!
Old 11-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #4  

Hi ladies,

Sorry for starting a new thread and dashing. But it was either write a post or get the doggies up and out and then me onto the stationary bike. Its all about the choreography of getting everything done in the mornings. I opted for the exercise.

I'm trying to get back into morning time on the stationary bike. That will make it easier to get in an evening workout at the fitness center without feeling guilty for being too late in getting home. Plus, I just feel better with that 20-30 minutes of light cardio to get me started.

Yesterday was just a gorgeous day. We did the Sam's club and grocery shopping thing. I got the laundry done. I had a very short snooze in my recliner with Daisy as my blanket. I also got in 2-1/2 hours of working outside with the horses. I exercised Phoenix in the round pen, rode Spanky for a little while and even got little Spice in the round pen to start working with her. She has such a boring personality and I never see her playing or anything with the boys. She's also very small and does not even look like she's over 2 years old. I've decided that I need to get her into better physical condition over the winter. It was also good for me.

I've got a great healthy lunch and food day packed. Yogurt. Soup. Turkey sandwich. Apple. String cheese. I'm excited to have such appealing food with me!

I've got my stuff packed for the fitness center tonight. Time to crank up the C25K and get back on the elliptical. I am NOT gaining weight this holiday season.

I am not ready for snow flurries!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can deal with the cold if it would just stay dry this year.

to all!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #5  

Smile Good Morning Ladies!

As usual this time of year, Toys for Tots is kicking my ! It's amazing how much work I end up doing for this event. The dress is coming along. I have hand-sewn 28 tiny little lacing eyelets, got the dress done except for hemming, and now need to make the sleeves. My fingers are sore. Yesterday, together with a number of other folks, we made meat pies for the Inn at the event. About 200 turnover-sized pies. We got started at 1 in the afternoon and I got home at 9 p.m. Guess what I ate all day...broken pies. On the up side, the crust was the only truly fattening part and I got sick of it pretty soon since I was the one making it, so I was just picking at the filling. Not to mention that 8 hours on my feet make for quite a bit of exercise, even if you are just standing there. Thank GOD for Cuisinart! I'd never made pie crust in a food processor before, but if we hadn't we'd have never gotten done. Down side to the pie crust is the chief cook insists on LARD! I've never cooked with lard in my life - I grew up on a farm with hogs and my mother wouldn't even take it from the meat processors when we'd butcher! Kind of grosses me out if I think about it much...but maybe that'll keep me from eating much of it. Gotta admit, the crust was pretty darn good though.

Tonight, another meeting and getting my dress hem marked so I can finish it. Tomorrow, getting my hair trimmed and colored (since I have to stand up in front of the 150-200 people who show up for the event and I'm likely to be on TV if we get news coverage). Wednesday and Thursday is finishing all the sewing and cleaning my house for the four total strangers staying with us for the event. Friday is set-up. Saturday is the event, tear-down after and then post-revel party. Satuday is a 5 a.m. to midnight kind of day. Sunday I'll probably just lay down and die.

Of course, all this happens outside of work, which is as crazed as ever.

Seriously, why did I volunteer to coordinate this thing for the 3rd year in a row?

On the up side, as long as I don't go food-wild, I'll probably not worry much about gaining this week as busy as I am, eating is last on my mind. Just have to remember not to eat and I'll do fine. I actually LOST half a pound at Saturday's WI, which truly amazed me. I hadn't expected to as I had gone over my 35 flex points. But apparently, no harm was done. But I'm going to be good as gold except for the major events...TFT, office lunch on the 25th and family Turkey Day on the 29th. Hopefully, I'll actually end the month down this year.

Gotta go...hope you all have a wonderful week - I may not make it back much....

Last edited by Lilion; 11-17-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Hope everyone had a good weekend! It was sunny here in Portland, Oregon this weekend. Well, actually, it was partly sunny/partly cloudy but we take what we can get . I went out hiking on Saturday to Forest Park -- a huge park on the west side of Portland (think Central Park or Golden Gate Park). I'd never been there before even though I've lived here ~ 5 years. It's nice, but not really a "hiking" park -- more like a "let's go stroll in the woods" park. It's big enough to get a good hike in, but I felt kind of funny wearing my Camelbak among the runners, stroller-pushers, dog-walkers, road and mountain bikers, and hand-holders. I was glad I left my boots and hiking poles in the car or I would have felt like a real dork .

Yesterday was a bicycling adventure. There was a fog advisory in the a.m., but it was supposed to burn off by 10. I perused my road biking book and found a nice little 36 mile jaunt about an hour south of Portland. I almost had to call the cavalry at the 5-miles-to-go point after I'd fallen off my bike 2x and had to walk up more hills than I could count . I blame the wrong turns which made the ride longer and hillier as well as the cold weather (mid-40s) and fog that never cleared. Well, and maybe I was a bit over confident in my abilities . Happily, I managed to make it back to the car under my own power and cranked up the heat for the ride home. I don't think I fully thawed out until I got into the shower.

I feel good about staying OP last week -- with both eating and exercise. I meet with my trainer again on Friday.

Heather -- we haven't had snow here yet (just high up in the mountains) but it sure has turned winter-like!

Terri -- sounds like you had a good and productive weekend -- good for you for doing your cardio this a.m.!

Lilion -- sounds like you are working your fingers to the bone and how cool that you might be on TV! Good for you on your WI.

Barb -- isn't it cool to enjoy working out? Hope the dryer fix isn't too $$$. That's cool that you're going to be in the newspaper. I know I have been inspired by the stories I've seen and read -- especially those that don't involve WLS to get large losses. [Nothing against people who have WLS, but for so long, I thought that was the only way I could get to a normal weight -- and with a 1% mortality rate, it was scary.]

Barb & Heather -- hope your puppies are ok!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 362/345/225

Hi all.
I did actually have a good weekend. Restful and also mindful in terms of eating. I struggle with both of these.
Last year I started teaching at a college FT as well as working my regular job of running a nonprofit. But the stress and hectic pace did nothing for me, in terms of eating healthy. Consequently I gained all I lost and more. Now, things are a little more routine so I am trying to get back to basics.

One problem I am finding is on the days I don't make it home for dinner. I have to carry TWO meals with me, and I often run into trouble. If any one has ideas or has gone through this, please share.

I look forward to "meeting' you all.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Hi Jewell & welcome to 3FC! Glad that you had a good weekend both in terms of getting rest and eating well. Sounds like you have a lot going on! I understand how tough it is to eat well when you're on the run all the time. I'm in the "microwave" phase of my life at the moment -- I usually eat Lean Pockets, Lean Cuisine, or Weight Watchers meals along with fruits, vegetables (not as much as I should ), protein, fiber, etc....

A couple of ideas (besides microwaving ) -- you may want to check an online calorie counter before you grab something on the go -- sometimes there are healthier choices even at fast food places. I would recommend not going too low on the calories -- that was a mistake I made the first time round -- I thought you had to be ravenously hungry all the time to lose weight -- if you check out some of the other threads, you'll see that many of us 300# and above lose weight on 2000 calories/day or even more. It depends on your activity level, among other things, but if you read the "diet advice for women" that advocates 1200-1500 calories/day, you might be setting yourself up for failure. Finally, I would recommend eating small meals throughout the day rather than one or two big meals and pay attention to what "fills you up". Good luck & hope this helps!
Old 11-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #9  
BELIEVE!

Hey Gals!

I hope everyone had a fantastic day. Mine was crazy busy, but good. Tonight at the gym the photographer came for my article pics. It was a little chaotic. Hopefully he got some decent shots to use. There will only be 1-2 in the article so I have to hope he picks the best. We'll see on the 25th. After that I had a training session and did cardio. Then it was home to snuggle with the boys and put them to bed. The house is quiet and I'm just checking in with my friends before bed.

Terri - Sounds like a nice weekend. Isn't it great to enjoy healthy food!?!? I'm with you....no weight gain over the holidays. We can have fun with family and friends...no need to include too much food in that equation. This year I just want the gift of good health!

Lilion - I get tired just thinking of how busy you are....I feel busy until I read some of your posts. Enjoy your busy week. Don't forget to make some time for yourself.

Elmay - Thanks. My doggie seems much better. Thankfully I think it was just a tummy bug. The dryer guy is coming on Wed. I hope it's either a cheap fix or he tells me to get a new one. I don't want to waste money fixing it up. I would love one of the newer models that are out now...not that I want to spend the money, but I hate spending on something old if it's going to keep breaking (am I making any sense?). You certainly kept yourself busy and active this weekend! Good for you!

Jewell - Welcome. Nice to meet you. I haven't had to deal with taking 2 meals with me, but I do try to have all my meals planned the day before. Planning for me is critical. If you have access to heat something up you can make nice healthy meals and pack them in a little cooler. I am personally a calorie counter so I rely on knowing the nutritional values of everything I am eating. My best advise is plan, plan, plan. You can do it!

Ok...I just realized how tired I am getting. I'm off to bed.

Night Chicks!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #10  

jewell -- Some good advice so far! I carry food with me all the time (pre-portioned). Good insulated bags do come in sizes big enough to carry food for 2 meals, and that's what I do a lot.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #11  
BELIEVE!

Hey Gals!
How's everyone doing? I hope you all had a great day!

It was a little crazy here. This morning I dropped my youngest off at daycare and took the oldest to the ENT to check the tubes in his ears. Then I took him back to daycare so I could work. Shortly after I got a call that the youngest was running a fever. Back I went to get him. I had to cancel my personal training session because hubby couldn't get home from work in time. Then it was back to daycare for the oldest. Shortly after I had someone here to repair my dryer. Finally at 8:00 I had the boys bathed and in bed and my hubby finally got home from work. I was at the gym lifting weights and doing cardio from 8:30-10:00! GO ME! I could have so easily just passed out once the boys were in bed but I WANTED to workout!

We leave for vacation on Saturday. I have about a gazzilion things to do before then. Oh...and a warning light is on in my car. Ugh.

Sweet Dreams! Catch ya later!
Barb
Old 11-20-2008, 07:10 AM   #12  

Hi ladies,

Gosh, is it Thursday already? I have been very busy at work this week. Things to get done before I'm off next week. And I haven't been on the computer much at night this week.

Not much is happening. I've got my stuff for a trip to the fitness center tonight.

Tomorrow morning, we leave at 5:30 am to get Wile on a flight to Santa Barbara. I finally requested that he be moved to a different foster home. We've had him since February and he was in foster care for a few months before that. He needs to be moved to a different area for a better chance of adoption. He's a beautiful boy and on his own, is a good dog. With the pack of hellraisers (Daisy & Dixie), he's a bit maniac. I need a break. Maybe I can settle down my hellions over the winter.

Gotta go see what they are doing that they shouldn't be doing! It doesn't sound good. to all!

P.S. Jewell - I pack several items so that I have 200 calories every 2-3 hours or so - protein, fruit, veggies. For example, I'll have a yogurt, apple, string cheese, granola bar, nuts (small amount), light sandwich. When I have all that, I find myself not eating it all and I'm not hitting up the vending machines for stupid stuff. And I'm not ravenous when I get home to dinner. Good luck!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #13  

Hi ladies,

Sure is quiet around here. Too quiet for a support thread.

I'm off for the next week. I've got lots of housecleaning and outside work to do before the family arrives for Thanksgiving dinner. Hope our weather is good for that day.

Wile has not yet left for California yet. I'm getting a little peeved because the new foster refuses to pick him other than an early flight. And you can't book a dog until the day before and if there's not room, he doesn't get to go. He missed on Friday and she rebooked for today but the lady said no. Big deal that we have to get up at 4 am and leave by 5 am to get him in time for an early flight for her not to be inconvenienced.

I have a bridal shower to go to this afternoon. Its at 1:30 in the city so it will shoot my afternoon. I've been whining all week about going or not going. I can't lie and I don't have a good excuse other than I don't want to give up my Saturday afternoon.

I also plan to work in some exercise time in addition to all the housework.

Barb - Have a great vacation! Let us know where you've been when you get back and we want to know about the article too!! Happy Thanksgiving!

Better get busy. to all!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #14  

Terri -- You're right, it IS too quiet!

I've spent the morning doing errands and grocery shopping, and even got in a little cleaning. Getting ready to make mushroom barley soup!

My weight continues to creep up, but given that I'm eating more and exercising less, it's not really a surprise. I'm trying to take each day at a time and not let the whole week be bad just because of a holiday...
Old 11-22-2008, 10:55 PM   #15  
BELIEVE!

Hi Gals!
I agree...too quiet here. We have arrived safe and sound in Columbus, OH. We live in the Philly area so we were on the road for about 9 hours today (including stops). It was an ok drive. Our youngest son has been sick all week and he was pretty darn fussy in the car. We were getting worried because he wasn't drinking much...everytime I'd give him a cup of juice he'd throw it on the floor and say "no". I finally gave up, but then he started asking for juice. Argh. Silly mom that I am...apparently I was giving it to him in the wrong cup...I noticed him eyeing a different sippy cup when I unpacked us at the hotel. I put his drink in that and he gulped it down. Crazy kid. He's still a little under the weather, but thankfully improving.

This morning I was up and at the gym before 7 for a cardio workout. I wanted to get my body moving before sitting in the car all day. I stayed w/in my calories today and got my water in. It was a good day. Not the easiest. What the heck is it about traveling that makes you think you want junk!?!? We went grocery shopping tonight and I loaded us up with fruits and healthy snacks! Hubby got cheeseburgers and fries for dinner and I got a salad from Panera! I found the gym and will be there tomorrow morning when they open at 10! I am working exercise into every day of this vacation!!!!

The article is scheduled to run on Tuesday. It will be online and I'll share the link withyou. I'm a little anxious, nervous, excited....

Everyone here is asleep. I think I should get some rest too.

Catch ya later!
Barb
Closed Thread