Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #46  
On the road to find out..

S/C/G: 340/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone,

I am glad I managed to get on a little earlier in the week. Things are going well for me. With the exception of a couple of slices of thin crust pizza last night I am OP and praying for a weight loss this week. If not this will be the third week in a row!

I started a detox over the weekend that is supposed to last for two weeks. So far so good. I didn't know it was possible for a person to pee so much! LOL! I have been consistent in my workouts and proof of that is that my triceps are killing me today! I am planning on walking on the treadmill this evening for 30-45 minutes followed up by a water exercise/resistance class. Do any of you do water exercise aside from laps? I find the class exhilarating and VERY challenging. There are people of every size and fitness level in the class and everyone just works to where they can. I have seen massive toning from doing this at least once a week. It also spices up my workout. I sometimes try to do laps before class, but boy they show me how out of shape I still am. This coming from someone who used to swim competitively at 225lbs.

Catherine, I am in awe of you swimming for 90 minutes. WTG!!!!

Debimitch, I work as a Assistant Director for a non-profit that helps adults who have a chronic mental illness, so I am familiar with the cycling thing , and with meds not always working well . I am sorry for the both of you. Hopefully the docs at U of L will have some good info for the both of you. Good Luck!

Nancy, you hit the nail on the head for me! I have been thinking of getting back in to the dating scene, but what you described seems all too familiar. Food is what I can control and I am soo afraid of not having any, and who has any real control in the dating arena. Right now I am going out with a group of friends which makes it much easier and there is a lot less stress or expectation. Maybe something like that can work for you too!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #47  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Wenny – I have started going out dancing with a group of friends, and while that is fun I can’t see it as a place to meet guys. Actually, I was hit on for the first time in – I have no idea when – last week. I was dancing and the guy started to dance with me and then asked me if I wanted to go make out in a corner. I said no, I was just there to dance and he took off like a bullet. It was too funny!! But, who knows. At least I am getting out.

Battle – I love Almond Breeze too and I keep wondering how it can be so low calorie. It is one of those things I have nightmares about that some time later on they will reveal that they made some huge mistake and it is actually triple what they originally said.

Debbie – I am glad you are having some beautiful weather and are able to get out and enjoy it.

Julee – Thanks for the heads up on the cheese – I will definitely be on the lookout!
Annie – Sorry to hear that things are so stressful at your job right now.

Catherine – Ugh on the cold and I hope it is over as soon as possible.

Peggy – It sucks that you had a nasty flood, but at least you were able to get a good workout of it.

Debi – Sorry to hear that you are another one with a cold.

Carol – Congratulations on meeting your 10% mini goal. That is fantastic!!! That is very cool that you are enjoying your time in the water so much. I have been meaning to head to a different gym and try that out, but I haven’t made it yet.

Dmpls – That must have been rough having your SIL staying with you for so long and being so negative. People that picky should just make their own food and not complain about it.

Heather – Good luck with those papers!

Anne – I have real trouble with portion control and pasta. My version of a portion and an actual portion are way off!!! I hae found I really like cottage cheese with pasta to give it a bit of a creamy something. It isn’t quite like melted cheese, but it works well enough for me.

I feel pretty good about getting back into most of my old routines, but I know that I seriously have to start back with the weight training and I STILL haven’t figured it out. How long have I been harping on about this now?

I have to say that Jillian Michaels’ talk show podcast was especially fantastic this week. If you haven’t checked it out yet, I highly recommend listening to the one from Sunday. You go to www.kfi640.com, and then click on the “On Demand” button and choose the first item – “Kfi on demand”. She talks about weight loss myths, loving yourself to motivate change and a lot more.

I am about to head out to dance class. I am hoping that tonight’s routine isn’t a repeat of Monday’s, where we actually have to slide down onto the floor and rollover. You don’t realize how dirty those gym floors are until you have to roll around on them. Gross. Out teacher thinks it is funny and laughs at the fact we don’t like it. But it puts him in a playful mood and class is more fun when he gets kind of feisty.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

OK - so where do you get Almond Breeze? Do you use it as milk or how - I love the idea.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I buy it at my local supermarket or Trader Joes. I've noticed that not all supermarkets carry it. Around here, Safeway does, but not Lucky. It's in the same area as the soy milk.

I use it just like milk. There are some things that regular milk is better for, but for the most part I like Almond milk over regular milk. For example, say, SF pudding, the almond milk doesn't thicken up as well, so I'll usually do half milk/half almond milk.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 376/see ticker/195

Height: 6'2"

Hi all,

My motivation seems to be at an all time low. I so want to be healthier, happier, thinner. At yet, just not putting the work into it. We bought an elliptical, but it was a lot harder than expected. So I haven't really done it. DH did it the other morning and I was JEALOUS. I was jealous? What's with that? I saw myself feeling like I wanted to sabotage him. God forbid he have motivation if I don't. I feel like a horrible person.

So I am begging...someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I feel like I am just an awful person. I need to take control of my life...and not be mad at DH for taking control of his.

Can someone just put me on their program? I will work really hard at taking directions. I just want someone to tell me what to do.

Angie
Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 PM   #51  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Hello all,

It was interesting to see how many people have cheese issues. I suppose it's one of those good foods that can be bad. Back in the summer when I started gaining weight it was somewhat cheese related. For lunch I'd have a quesadilla made with whole wheat tortillas with a couple of handfuls of cheese, and then a couple more. After dinner I'd take another couple and let them toast open-faced in the toaster oven... one at a time. Oh, and the egg substitute omelet, quite virtuous. Except for the cheese, and the buttered toast, and... never mind. It's funny, but the 1/2 ounce I have on my wrap at lunch is just as satisfying.

It's been a very odd day. I did some back and forth email with a recruiter about a possible short-term job. I feel in the end that I gave more information that I got in return. I still know very little about it, and didn't hear back from him in the afternoon. Although I suspect he's now giving the info to the prospective employer and unless they say 'go for it' I won't hear much else. It will be just too funny if it's the one I've already been to the company to discuss.

I dug out the cherries tonight to make a fruit salad for tomorrow. They are so good, especially the sweet cherries. Although the sour ones are pretty good as well. There is just more juice in the sour cherry bucket so I had to chip them out with a big knife. I won't know until tomorrow what it's truly like, but so far it looks good. Oh, and I need to find the kneeling pads for the garden before Saturday. The sculpting DVD is fine, but I still can't do all the push-ups on my toes. My one knee is killing me tonight, although hopefully heat at bedtime will help.

Carol - I always have kept my highest (known) weight on the ticker. It's a little odd as this time I started at a lower weight, but I keep it there to remind me. I think I've actually set my first mini goal today. It will be when I hit 321 - the weight I was back in early June (before I went into denial about gaining again).

Annie - I know others have said it already, but unless you've signed a very specific agreement, there is no reason you cannot talk to the company who got the contract. I envy the personal trainer. I never bothered when I could afford it, and now I couldn't possibly. Oh well, maybe in the future.

CatherineM - your mention of term papers reminds me of the downside of maybe going back to school. Be oh so careful on those icy patches. That's I think why I don't go out walking in general. I've taken more than one nasty spill during the winters past. Just keep reminding yourself that spring is coming. Sorry that you're not feeling well this morning too - watch the ice even more so, since it will likely affect your balance.

Torister - yuck, water in the basement sucks. We've got a little in the crawl space, but it's minimal. Luckily it's an every few years thing, not all the time. Good thing that you stayed OP, stress is tough to overcome without food, but you did it!

Debimich - sorry to hear that you're under the weather. I hope your husband gets some help from the other doctor. I don't know much about bipolar disorders, although I know it's more about learning to cope with it (through drugs and/or therapy). I hope you find that balance that helps.

Debbie - we have the best raspberry patch in our backyard. It's 5' x 5' and surrounded by old railroad ties... and lots of concrete. The concrete is the important thing. It was a badly kept rose garden when we moved in. The roses that could be saved were moved out to the front yard. I saw the location and figured it was the best pre-made patch for raspberries. We have boysenberries in another part of the garden, which spread pretty easily, but the yard is laid out well enough that it isn't a problem.

Wennygrrl - I was surprised on how hard laps were when I tried to do them the last time. This year I'm all ready for an early pool opening as I'm hoping to get back to it. I also think some general exercises in the pool might be a good idea (if only to take a little pressure off my knees).

Nancy - I don't blame you about the weight training, that's the area I fall down on. I think especially since I'm doing it at home. I should probably look for a book/guide so I have some structure. I sometimes feel I just flail around with the weights. I know it's not quite that bad, but it's how I feel.

Realist - I doubt anyone else's plan would fit you or your lifestyle. The only thing I can suggest is to just try the elliptical tomorrow for 5 minutes. Maybe you'll do 10, who knows. Do that every day until it's easy, then try a few more minutes. It's not a piece of equipment I personally liked using, although it can be very effective and there's a lot less impact on your joints. Setting your goals lower might help. I mean, you can do 5 minutes, right? I still sometimes play these games with myself. If I don't feel like getting on the treadmill I'll set the counter for 30 or 45 minutes, promising myself that if I really want to get off before it's counted down then that's okay. Almost always I finish the time I've set. Oh, and if your elliptical has a counter that allows it, set it to count down. I somehow find it easier when I see how many minutes I have left instead of how many I've done. It's odd, but it seems to work.

Well, that's it for tonight. I'm really needing a decent night's sleep (that's two days running with very little).
Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #52  

Height: 5'6"

Morning everyone!

Another OP day under my belt yesterday I made a HUGE chicken and (mostly) vegetable stir fry last night, so I have LOTS of lunch packs made up so that I can grab and go in the morning! Love that! I am having about 20 friends over Sunday and doing a potluck kind of thing. I plan on making a BIG pot of white bean and chicken chili (yum!). I hope everyone likes it. I made this 2 weeks ago and used the leftovers to mix with frozen veggies to make a very filling lunch to take to work for a few days. My co-workers were drooling. LOL! I am going to have relatively healthy snack stuff as well. Veggie tray with hummus or dip (non fat sour cream based). Shrimp with cocktail sauce. Hubby is going to make his devilled eggs substituting low fat mayo. I need to come up with some sort of veggie salad to serve with the chili. Maybe I will just make a batch of roasted veggies. Oh well, it will come.

Nancy...I feel your pain on the dating scene. I don't know what I would do if I found myself single again. Thinking I would find myself overwhelmed too! I am not sure what I would say if someone my age that I just met asked me if I wanted to go make out in the corner. LOL! Being the wise *** that I am, I might say "Sure! I haven't done that at a dance since Junior High. I will be moving on now..." I am sure that was rather awkward for you...yikes.

OK..I must dash...will check in later! Have a great OP day everyone!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Good morning Peeps - how's everyone?

Annie - please push a little harder with that warm weather - schools are cancelled again today because of ice and snow. I really can't remember when they have been out so much - poor kids will be going to school until the 4th of July.

Angie - hugs to you my friend. I can't do the elliptical for more than 2 minutes. I can ride a bike and use the treadmill for a good workout. I have tried to increase my time and I think with my weight being so high it makes me go too fast since it is gravity driven. My trainer told me not to worry about it so long as I could do something else - and it hurts my knee more than the treadmill. My ortho also told me - NO ELLIPTICAL - with my knee - walk through the pain with controlled speed. I will try again - not sure when.

I'm so hoping that my exercise class isn't cancelled tonight - normally it is if school is cancelled - wonder what would happen if I just show up - I don't think they'll send me home. Ohhh - maybe this is the time to remind me I would do it at home if in this situation again.

Better head out - they say the roads are awful and the ice is building fast.

Move your bodies, drink your water and SMILE.

Hugs to all,
Carol
Old 02-21-2008, 07:33 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Hi all,

My motivation seems to be at an all time low. I so want to be healthier, happier, thinner. At yet, just not putting the work into it. We bought an elliptical, but it was a lot harder than expected. So I haven't really done it. DH did it the other morning and I was JEALOUS. I was jealous? What's with that? I saw myself feeling like I wanted to sabotage him. God forbid he have motivation if I don't. I feel like a horrible person.

So I am begging...someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I feel like I am just an awful person. I need to take control of my life...and not be mad at DH for taking control of his.

Can someone just put me on their program? I will work really hard at taking directions. I just want someone to tell me what to do.

Angie
Angie --

For years and years that was me. I wanted to lose weight but just never really put it together to lose. I think what you're going through is VERY common. You are not horrible. Sadly, you're kind of normal!!! A lot of things had to come together for me to finally lose the weight, but one of them was the feeling that my health and mobility were really suffering because of my weight.

Ellipticals are usually considered low impact and okay for knees for most people, but they are a great workout! When I first tried one I couldn't even do TWO minutes. They are HARD for many people to figure out! Now I rock away for however long I want!! If you want first try one minute. Try that a few times a day. Then add 10 seconds at a time the next day. Do that a few times that day. Etc...

As for a plan/program there are a lot out there. You might want to check out some of the other areas of the forum. Or go to the main page: http://www.3fatchicks.com/ and click on the "diets" pull down menu. There are lots of diets described there!

Know however, that many many MANY successful maintainers modify these diets over time to fit their needs and their lifestyle. Starting with one might give you the structure you're looking for, but don't feel you can't tweak them after a while.

None of us can give you the motivation you need. Nor the commitment (which I think is as important if not more). But we can do our best to support you and give you lots of ideas and support!!!

Last edited by Heather; 02-21-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Heather wise advice! & you're proof it worksxxxxxx
Nancy, hmmmm 'making out' & actually being asked to makes that a super embarrassing situation, though he seems a pr*t to actually ask! I hope you can laugh about it now! I remember after getting divorced I could only flirt after a few drinks, if I had too many I would likely wake up somewhere I wasn't expecting!!!! (My parents had my son overnight so he never saw/knew anything, thank goodness!) not a good idea! Though at least online you can 'chat' before committing yourself to a 'date', it's a shame the guy you like seems to be dragging his heels. I'm sure someone like you won't be alone for too long, just take your time & enjoy some male attention! WTG on realising your food trigger & stopping it there, you have come so far.xxxxxxx
Wenny, detox & pizza, lol, do they go together??? I don't blame you though, lots of these detoxes are WAY too strict to be realistic even if they do drop the weight quickly. What plan are you intending following long-term?xxxxxx
Angie, hugsxxxxx, look on the net there are so many plans & if you like one Amazon have lots of second-hand diet books real cheap, I've found that I get really excited once I have a 'new' plan to follow. Ammi has lost 100-odd pounds on W/W, others do well on South Beach- I loved it, though if you aren't keen on eggs give it a miss!!! If we lived on the same continent I could post you my SB books but it would cost a fortune from the UK!!! Some people do Gi based diets or calorie controlled diets, I think a good 'browse' through the internet is in order so you can find something you will enjoy. Don't forget to keep posting if you're struggling, it helps me immensley (sp?)xxxxxxxxx
Anne, love your specs!!! I read your blog & loved it, travelling on a freighter, WOW!!!! You had such great people at work too, especially the guy who got you weight training! The cherries sound FANTASTIC, I would just not be able to stop eating them though!!!xxxxxxx
Carol/gg hope you get to work & home safely, icy roads really scare me.xxxxxx
Annie, hugsxxxxx your bosses are unbelievable!!!! I hope you get a better offer, stress is so bad for our health.xxxxxxx
Well I 'feel' slimmer, even though TOM feels due, I'm still not exercising, though I've been toying with getting my balance ball & workout dvd another whirl, my tummy is such a mess of saggy skin, flab & slack muscles. I KNOW the workout tones & firms you up and is actually FUN to do, it's just getting on with it!!lol The horrid fog & frost have gone & I can actually see SKY, lol!!! No luck on the job front still...sigh...
bye for now
xxxxxxxxsharon
Old 02-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Morning all..just popping in and reading...we had a wonderful light shower and lightning storm last night. Hubby and I slept with the blinds slightly opened all night so we could see it, while our dog Molly howled at every thunder she heard. lol.

Angie: I am exactly in the same place you are. I get all gun ho about loosing and with in a few days..its gone. I don't say Im going to stop..its like I totally just forget about it. I don't know how to actually start other then..start. I am sure one day it will click and I will do it..or atleast I hope.

I gotta get going for work..Have a great day all.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Sorry for to add this....

ANGIE: I know how you feel about the jealous about hubby. My hubby is skinny and everynight he lifts free weights . I said to him why cant you wait til I get home and we can work out together. He was like I dont know. BUT I think that he likes working out alone. Turning on the radio and buffing out. Part of it I think is once he sets his mind to it he does it..maybe he thinks he will wait for me and I wont do it not usre. BUT we do walk and he has no problem with that.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Debbie: Wow. Skinny jeans in size 24. YOu are rokin it girl. Congrats. Good luck to you on your weigh in on Friday. I changed that to my weigh in day as well. So hopefully we will both see some good progress.

Battle: Work will get better and worse I'm sure. lol. If the new company calls I will give them my home number and talk to them from home. Or, I will let them know that I am very interested in talking to them but my current employer has basically forbidden it. I'm not shy to tell them the truth. Hopefully they will like that and give me a call when the appeal is over.

Wenny: I only do laps. I have never found a water exercise class around here that is hard enough to challenge me. I swim laps for 30 minutes straight and that really gets me going. Good luck with your exercises.

Nancy: I hope you won't be on the floor in dance class. lol.

Angie: I agree with Heather. You are not a bad person. When I first started my journey I had to make myself get on the bike and ride it. I could only do the recumbant bike for 5 minutes max and I was going soooooo slow. I did that every single day for a week before adding a second 5 minuite interval and then the next week I added a minute etc. You have to want to get healthy more than you want to eat how you feel like it sweetie. You can do this Angie. I know if I am managing to do it anyone can! I know that. Hugs and another thing that helps is to post here more often. Even if you don't feel like talking, come here daily and read, read, read. Hugs to you and good luck.

Anne: I hope you are able to sleep like a snuggly bug in a rug tonight!

Peggy: Hope your Sunday brunch is lovely. I'm sure everyone will love your food and the company.

Carol: I'm trying. lol. Hope your exercise class isn't cancelled.

Sharon: You will find a job, I'm sure, don't give up. Hugs.

Well, time to go get dressed for the day. lol. Hope you are all doing well and have a great op, water drinking butt moving day. Hugs.

Blessings all,
Annie
Old 02-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #59  

Height: 5'7"

good morning everyone.
well we woke up this morning to the sound of sleet hitting the window. Yet another ice storm.
Im actually glad we are out of school and i wont be babysitting for the teachers today. My head is more stopped up today. I think its just a plain old cold.
I gained again even though I was on calories all day yesterday. I think im holding some fluid..time of the month is not regular now. fun fun of being mid 40s
I need to make myself drink my water today..I always have trouble drinking water when my throat is sore.
have a good day everyone
debi
Old 02-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #60  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

Up .6...but I'm pretty sure that I can thank TOM for that. I also had issues last week with not being able to get all my points in. Now on one day...n big deal..but 5 days!!! Yikes! I guess it's better than going way over?? I dunno...

This throat thing seems to be getting worse. I may have to attempt the Dr. at some point. I'm glad I have a weekend with nothing to do until Sunday.

Peace...

Julee

Last edited by JuleeCeeS; 02-21-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread